• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Sean Spicer went to the Emmys today...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
He hasn't distanced himself at all. You're giving him props for things he hasn't done.
Yeah. Case in point:
Multiple sources at the major TV networks confirmed to The Daily Beast this week that many of the network brass who have met recently with Spicer were turned off for several reasons.

Network bigwigs didn’t see him as a sympathetic character, and got the strong impression that they would be paying him to uncritically spout Team Trump talking points, two insiders at different networks recounted. There was no indication that Spicer was trying to “seek forgiveness,” according to one source. And in discussions, he didn’t leave the impression that he would be candid about his and Trump’s blunders.

In addition to a TV gig, Spicer has also attempted to land a book deal in the range of seven figures, according to sources. But those opportunities look similarly slim.
“If he did a [book] like Scott McClellan about the Bush years, he would get a hell of a lot of money,” one person familiar with the process said, referencing the highly explosive tell-all from 2008. “Sean doesn’t want to do that."
It's the same old Sean Spicer. Nothing has changed.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
He is willing to distance himself from the Trump administration after he left. All the way to willing to appear on live TV to mock Trump.

Sure, he took the job of being Trump's spokeperson and did not leave until a few months later, but when Presidential terms can last up to 4 to 8 years, a few months is nothing at all.

This whole thing about losing respect or criticizing Colbert and Kimmel for being nice to the guy after distancing himself is ridiculous.

This is the reason it's problematic. Because people who think like you exist.

An objectively gross human being appears on stage in a suit and smiles a bit and all the sudden "eh, what's the big deal he's fine, it's actually kind of funny that he doesn't know what concentration camps are when you think about it."

It was just a little bit of white supremacist apologia, guys! Just a few months!

Mariolee

No reason to cling to celebrities as vanguards of progressive ideas or pretend like we're running out of folks in a position to inspire change to elevate, either.

It doesn't have to be eithor or of the extremes. Yes Colbert fucked up (in my opinion), but after a decade of tearing down the conservative elite to their faces because it was the right thing to do, "turning on him" is not the most apt response.

It doesn't have to be eithor or of the extremes. Yes Colbert fucked up (in my opinion), but after a decade of tearing down the conservative elite to their faces because it was the right thing to do, "turning on him" is not the most apt response.

Folks are justifiably incensed that the mouthpiece of a white supremacist regime has become a darling mascot at an industry's annual televised autofellatio festival, so it doesn't shock me that there are proclamations of folks being 'done' with colbert.

However, I don't fault people putting him in the doghouse. There's no reason to cluck about 'liberals eating their own' when putting party over principles is something conservatives get beat up with all the time, and the day 'stop eating your own' becomes the clarion call of liberalism is the day I stop identifying as one. We should be calling out 'our own,' we should demand better of people we've grown fond of exactly because we've cared about them as a symbol of the things we like instead of making excuses and overstating the reaction of the people they've upset. Stephen Colbert isn't your personal friend and wouldn't come to your rescue. No reason to circle the wagons when he's fucked up as he clearly has here.

Colbert isn't a leader. He's not losing his base's votes. He's just an entertainer. Fans sniping at others for dropping him are just wasting their time.
The sooner the Left gets over these milquetoast late night "comedians" (Colbert, Kimmel, Bee, Oliver, et al.) as being some type of bellweather for meaningful political discourse, the better.
Yeah, people elevate these people too much when they're just entertainers with good writers at the end of the day.

Top Bottom