• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I would burn down the entire chain if this happened to me.

Can you imagine what would happen if every time someone said, "Fuck Gamestop," they canceled a preorder?

Carl

Some of the responses here are just silly, really.

Anyway, they've said they will respond shortly so i'll keep my trap shut until i know what they have to say.

Yes, they do. Working in retail (Target) while going to college taught me a lot about rude customers. Also, he never directed his tweet to ShopTo, he was talking to a friend. Context is important.

I think this is refreshing, honestly. He said fuck the company to his friend and he in turn got fucked. I wish real life retail worked like this. Show disrespect and get eviscerated.

I dont see why you are winging you agree to cancel the pre order which is what they asked you.

Shop To:- We do not tolerate rude/vulgar/inappropriate behaviour. We will close accounts of customers who cannot interact in an appropriate manner

You:- HaHa, Seriously? Okay

Shop To:- Yes it is.. Consider your account closed. Thank You

They specifically said about closing your account and you said Okay. I don't see how they are at fault. You decided to be a childish prick in public but now think its not your fault.

I am glad they cancelled your pre order so maybe in future you will think before you say something.

RaikuHebi

Banned
What. I'm finding it hard to tell if this is a parody or not but that fantasy land you're dreaming of never existed.
I'm trusting my grandparents word on this, they were all born and raised in villages but moved to cities in their 20s after marriage. I'm only the second generation in my lineage to be born in a city. Also my parents grew up in cities but still visited their ancestral villages often. I did a few times as a kid but that's it.

What I've learnt from this thread:

1. People don't know their contract law
2. Swearing about a company shouldn't be construed as being rude
3. Doing it in public allows you to be hailed as martyr for sticking it to the man
4. People still haven't learnt to read the OP.

Jezbollah

So now we're proposing Shopto canceled the pre-order and keep the monies that the OP most likely hasn't paid and on that basis we've got LA's finest ready to sue their ass?

Give me strength!

No, the small claims court would only be in the event that Shopto would have not refunded any monies taken - an unlikely situation given many don't charge until dispatch.

What I've learnt from this thread:

1. People don't know their contract law
2. Swearing about a company shouldn't be construed as being rude
3. Doing it in public allows you to be hailed as martyr for sticking it to the man
4. People still haven't learnt to read the OP.

Nice :)

iMax

I'm sorry to sound like a dick, but it sounds like you know absolutely nothing about contract law and the remedies one is entitled to upon breach of contract. This is especially true if OP can't go get another preorder from somewhere else.

Exactly what rights is ShopTo exercising here? I can tell you with almost certainty that they aren't legally recognized ones. Sorry to say but supaflyryguy's personal view of the situation and what's fair has no bearing on the reality/legality of the situation. Illegality doesn't necessarily imply criminality. ShopTo entered into a (likely) legally binding contract with OP, and OP (if he provided consideration) is entitled to the value he lost (i.e. his PS4) by having the contract breached. Saying "fuck you" on a public forum has no bearing on this situation whatsoever and reputation/foolishness of this decision plays no part either.

Actually, considering the money hasn't actually changed hands yet (usually occurs on dispatch), a contract hasn't even been formed. It's not legally considered 'accepted' for online purchases, in the eyes of the law, until the item has been dispatched.

jonno394

Hi Guys,

I've spoke to my boss and hopefully sorted this out (it ain't my area of expertise so please don't abuse me, I'm only trying to help sort this situation out).

I will issue a statement soon on the ShopTo News site.

Joe
Editor
ShopTo News

Quoted just in case people missed it.

theRizzle

I dont see why you are winging you agree to cancel the pre order which is what they asked you.

Shop To:- We do not tolerate rude/vulgar/inappropriate behaviour. We will close accounts of customers who cannot interact in an appropriate manner

They specifically said about closing your account and you said Okay. I don't see how they are at fault. You decided to be a childish prick in public but now think its not your fault.

I am glad they cancelled your pre order so maybe in future you will think before you say something.

wat

i mean... wat

Wallhart

Neo Member
Going to cancel pre order.

I had pre ordered a ps4 on the chance I may want one. I still want one but tbh saving for a house ATM and never usually buy at launch.

Happy not to give them my money and when I do get round to getti gone it won't be through them.

Be interested to see what they come up with because op never actually swore to the person

thestatics

Neo Member
Actually, considering the money hasn't actually changed hands yet (usually occurs on dispatch), a contract hasn't even been formed. It's not legally considered 'accepted' for online purchases, in the eyes of the law, until the item has been dispatched.

500 years of precedence disagrees... get googling.

DeltaJay

Banned
It's sad to say but I would think that any store, online or not, has the right to refuse sale (it really doesn't matter the reason) until you have the item you paid for in hand. This also includes a refund in full.

Not sure why people are surprised at these events. We all know how horrid facebook and twitter is when it comes to others looking in on what you're writing and doing. It can be used as evidence against you in a number of things. Companies will look at your FB and twitter to see what your personal life looks like before hiring you. I know for a fact in the military that we are held accountable for whatever we say and/or post on FB and twitter. Pictures included.

theRizzle

SERIOUS QUESTION

For all of you who think Carl is getting his just desserts for being "rude" or whatever, what kind of compensation do you think I should be entitled to when I have to deal with rude employees at businesses?

RaikuHebi

Banned
Okay, you're full of shit. Thanks for the heads up.
Why is it so hard to believe? I'm from a Turkish background but raised in the UK. Do you know when Turkey began to fully urbanise? Only in the last 20-30 years. Plenty of Turkish people are just like me, still with links to their ancestral villages. It's only in the last 10 years that the population of urban Turks overtook rural Turks.

I may be just a naive young 20-something, but I doubt there are many businesses that would serve someone who swears at them directly (which I now understand the OP didn't do). I'm also a bit of an idealist I suppose, which doesn't seem to be popular in mainstream Western thinking. Everything is cynical, scientific, all for the dollar/pound. Things like this would've never happened in the good old days of our village/small-town ancestors where common decency prevailed over hard profits.

My wife works in customer service, and she has to deal with irate customers all the time. She will still serve people who swear, up to a point. Saying "fuck Shopto, this store fucking sucks" etc. would not be a huge issue. Of course you try to calm the customer down and get them to leave satisfied. Now where this change is when the customer starts to get verbally abusive. This is where you tell them to shut up (in nicer words) or kindly leave the store. There is no excuse for that. Some people think that people in customer service have to deal with the customer no matter what, and I think that's a shitty attitude to have. Yes its their job, but they are still human beings and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Shopto are completely in the wrong in this. The comments were made to a friend not to the store, and the comments made were not in my opinion nearly egregious enough to warrant the cancelling of the users account. This situation was handled extremely poorly on their end.

Lol!! So if you are rude to a CORPORATION you deserve to have your service cancelled? Lol.

Alucrid

Banned
It's sad to say but I would think that any store, online or not, has the right to refuse sale (it really doesn't matter the reason) until you have the item you paid for in hand. This also includes a refund in full.

Not sure why people are surprised at these events. We all know how horrid facebook and twitter is when it comes to others looking in on what you're writing and doing. It can be used as evidence against you in a number of things. Companies will look at your FB and twitter to see what your personal life looks like before hiring you. I know for a fact in the military that we are held accountable for whatever we say and/or post on FB and twitter. Pictures included.

Sure, but as a store, you generally don't want unhappy consumers and you certainly don't want to exacerbate the situation through vindictive actions because someone said "Fuck *insert store here*." What has their action done besides cause them a huge headache?

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Hi Guys,

I've spoke to my boss and hopefully sorted this out (it ain't my area of expertise so please don't abuse me, I'm only trying to help sort this situation out).

I will issue a statement soon on the ShopTo News site.

Joe
Editor
ShopTo News

Just so people don't miss. Thanks Wotta.

RoyalFool

Banned
I had a similar problem with Shopto before, when Modern Warefare 2 came out the supermarkets here in the UK got involved in a price war, so Shopto decided to start "processing" all the copies super early to avoid cancellations - I kicked up a fuss about it on Twitter and got my account cancelled, they still sent me my overpriced game just as the final kick in the balls which I then had to send back and wait 2 weeks for a refund for, they did refund me the shipping (despite them saying they wouldn't) which was a bit strange.

Was the first and last time I used them.

If I said fuck Gamestop, they couldn't do anything. Because I don't actually preorder anything from companies that annoy me. Amazon is the one I don't need to mess with.

RaikuHebi

Banned
My wife works in customer service, and she has to deal with irate customers all the time. She will still serve people who swear, up to a point. Saying "fuck Shopto, this store fucking sucks" etc. would not be a huge issue. Of course you try to calm the customer down and get them to leave satisfied. Now where this change is when the customer starts to get verbally abusive. This is where you tell them to shut up (in nicer words) or kindly leave the store. There is no excuse for that. Some people think that people in customer service have to deal with the customer no matter what, and I think that's a shitty attitude to have. Yes its their job, but they are still human beings and deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.

Shopto are completely in the wrong in this. The comments were made to a friend not to the store, and the comments made were not in my opinion nearly egregious enough to warrant the cancelling of the users account. This situation was handled extremely poorly on their end.
Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking. Thank you.

I've worked in retail so I'm not totally naive to these kind of things. Thankfully I've never had to deal with personal insults or verbal abuse, just irate customers who talk about the issue they had with their product and how the company has bad customer service. But never swearing or anything extreme. If I did I would refuse to serve that person and I've seen people kicked out of the store who behaved in such a manner.

B.O.O.M

I swear it's like so many of these outlets or at least some who work at these places have no idea about good customer service. That recent Gamestop drama was another example of this smh

Hope it gets worked out and they smarten up and help Carl

Not really respecting him as a customer unless they match the Amazon price tbh

You serious?
They're earmarking a ps4 pre-order for him. I think that's pretty cool. They have no obligation to price match Amazon. And if they did that for one customer, they'd piss of the rest of their customer base if they didn't do it for them as well.

I think this is refreshing, honestly. He said fuck the company to his friend and he in turn got fucked. I wish real life retail worked like this. Show disrespect and get eviscerated.

That's retarded.

A) Tweets are not directly comparable to in-store, in-person behavior

B) It's not a personal relationship, it's a business transaction. Shopto doesn't have feelings to hurt. The customer wasn't behind some sort of push to hurt the business or any other sort of 'loophole', it really was one tweet to a friend.

If I were a business and you acted like a baffoon I wouldn't want your business either. Good for them.

You can't be a business, though. Businesses are organizations that provide services for money. They don't have feelings or emotions or anything.

And it's 'buffoon', bro.

I'm not sure how anyone can defend ShopTo here. I mean, he didn't even say "Fuck you"; he said he was going to do it as a fuck you. If the CRM on the Twitter account has that kind of thin skin, he/she shouldn't be doing the job.

Zabant

I'm just waiting on the "Me Too" mentality to kick in, you know anyone who has ever had bad experience with ShopTo are now going to voice their experiences. Which of course is not a bad thing.

mikelb7

Neo Member
No money is put down for a pre order at shopto, you can pre pay but it just shows in your account balance until a few days before they ship.

I didn't see that ShopTo didn't take money down, so if that's the case, OP didn't provide any consideration. Still though, it's not up to ShopTo to decide when a contract is formed. That's up to the courts.

So now we're proposing Shopto canceled the pre-order and kept the monies that the OP most likely hasn't paid and on that basis we've got LA's finest ready to sue their ass?

Give me strength!

Just stop, please. No one's said anything about keeping the pre-order money, that's not what this is about.

Are you sure this is true? The way I'm seeing it, it all hinges on whether OP paid any money. If he did, is that not consideration? Not sure how courts have dealt with online retail/preorder situations but if OP has provided consideration, does it not (in effect) create a legally binding contract to keep the first contract (i.e. the PS4 preorder) legally binding? Again, just because ShopTo says when a contract exists, doesn't mean that the contract doesn't legally exist earlier

theRizzle

I THINK A LOT OF YOU PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT DIFFERENT COMPANIES MAYBE HAVE DIFFERENT POLICIES AND PRACTICES... ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE FROM A COUNTRY YOU ARE NOT FROM

Hey! Guess what?!

THINGS ARE DIFFERENT OTHER PLACES

DeltaJay

Banned
Sure, but as a store, you generally don't want unhappy consumers and you certainly don't want to exacerbate the situation through vindictive actions because someone said "Fuck *insert store here*." What has their action done besides cause them a huge headache?

This is very true and they're going to have to deal with the oncoming shit storm. I was only addressing the legally of the situation because morally it is very fucked up.

Sethos

Banned
I THINK A LOT OF YOU PEOPLE DON'T UNDERSTAND THAT DIFFERENT COMPANIES MAYBE HAVE DIFFERENT POLICIES AND PRACTICES... ESPECIALLY IF THEY ARE FROM A COUNTRY YOU ARE NOT FROM

Hey! Guess what?!

Whoa bro, that's deep.

Good job reading the OP. The comments he made were in private. Shopto contacted him through PM. Him saying OKAY right there is hardly a confirmation that he wants his preorder canceled and his account closed. You're being asinine.

Taker34

Banned

Hey! Guess what?!

Relax, take it easy. No need to shout.

Hey! Guess what?!

Could you put the middle part in caps? I can't read it otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom