• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qassim

I think if you acted like that in a retail premises you'd expect something similar to happen.

Did ShopTo buy twitter or something, cause I don't think that could be realistically called "their premises".

It was an @reply to someone else, he didn't @shopto into the conversation, it was a conversation, albeit public, with someone else.

If I stood outside of a company's retail premises and said to a friend "Had games preordered at <company> but switching them all to <othercompany> to say fuck you :)" - I don't think they would act the same, at least it wouldn't be advisable from the management of that company for some retail worker to go and cancel their existing orders.

It's petty and unprofessional, it is not a good way to run a business whatsoever.

Tak3n

Banned
Shopto is run and owned by one guy, so as always with these type of owners (AKA Newcastle FC owner Mike Ashley) you run the risk that their staff are effectively told to treat customers who complain like this...

Overclockers are the same, you get banned if you mention a competitors price on their forum

Unfortunately whist I agree this is pathetic, you wont get anywhere....

Amazon et al have CS reps mostly based in India, and they are trained to take the most awful abuse and keep being polite

Seems like you have given your account number after saying that you'd switch to amazon as a fuck you. I wouldn't have done that. Seems like they just wanted to find out who you are to cancel your pre-order.

Its a really shitty thing to do from shopto.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
What the hell? this is insane.

and why do they even care about what people say about them on twitter, I mean people do "Fuck you Amazon" all the time on twitter, facebook..ect and I never heard Amazon cancelled some preorder or closed his account because of that, look like Shopto is just shitty and unprofessional online store.

Carl

Yes, I know I was being childish. I admitted to that in the OP. But the conversation didn't even involve Shopto - It's not like i mentioned them and said "Hey, guy - fuck you!".

It's like if i was stood on the street and said to my friend "Hey - Game are really shit, aren't they?" and the manager overheard and and cancelled my PS4 preorder because of it.

Taker34

Banned
That is unprofessional, there was no reason for that "fuck you" but Shopto didn't react better. I'll stay away from that site, that's for sure.

Stuart444

While Replies are public, that is rather out of line. I'd suggest contacting Sony over it and maybe some media sites like Kotaku or Eurogamer.

Also Shopto recently started using DMs a lot more as a way to keep these 'bad' things confidential.

https://twitter.com/notquitereal/status/389415274380005376

Found this via @mikeBithell and you see the last DM in the pic from Shopto mentions all DMs are confidential.

So yeah, since this is about Shopto, I figured it's worth mentioning this and that's probably why they DM'd you instead of posting anything publicly. They didn't think you would share these DMs.

SHADES

Okay, so to start off, if this kind of thread isn't welcome then feel free to close.

However, it's gained a fair bit of twitter traction so i thought i'd post it here too in the hope that it may get me some help

So, it started when I learn that Amazon.co.uk had dropped the price of the PS4 Mega Bundle by £20 to £430. It was still £450 on Shopto so i tweeted them, curious as to whether they would be dropping it too. They privately messaged me saying that no, they wouldn't.

"Fair enough" i thought. Tweeted that they weren't dropping the price and said "I wish i'd ordered at Amazon instead". Which started a conversation with a friend on twitter, during which I said to the friend (and NOT to Shopto) that i would be switching my games to Amazon from Shopto "As a fuck you" - a little overdramatic and childish, but not abusive.

Que Shopto sending me another private message. The entirety of which is below

BWds1mYCEAItnxa.png

Here is a link to the tweet which caused it.

https://twitter.com/PooWithEyes/status/389382472623865857

TL;DR said "Fuck shopto" in a conversation with a friend on Twitter. Shopto cancelled my PS4 preorder because of it.

So does this mean with the that depth social media is nowadays that as customers we cannot criticize companies any longer?

Seems like an infringement on freedom of speech, but I'm no lawyer.

AHA-Lambda

Oh wow, I'd contact customer service about this and see if they can reverse it, if not complain to Trading Standards or something.

and kotaku :p

So is this the UK version of Gamestop?

I don't know why people shop at these trashy stores run by stupid immature mouthbreathers. Don't give these retards any money. Buy your stuff from Amazon or any place that does business in a professional manner.

Sets a terrible precedent for shopto preorders though.

I won't be preordering anything from them incase they find something they don't like on one of my online accounts.

Lettuce

I'd send that tweet to their MD, and see what happens, also contact Trading Standard. Never know might get a free PS4 out of it.

I could understand their stance if you had been directly contacting them, but if you were talking to a friend about it then thats just ridiculous!!!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Yea, I've gotta ask, how on earth did they know about your twitter? :/

he initiated contact and was talking to shopto

he then tweeted about shopto and amazon to a friend

shopto sees comment degrading shopto and probably said to themselves "fuck us? No! Fuck you!"

account closed

neogaf thread made

Redshirt

Banned
Wow. That's terrible. I would definitely push the issue if you're up for it. You may end up benefiting in the end.

nib95

Banned
Yes, I know I was being childish. I admitted to that in the OP. But the conversation didn't even involve Shopto - It's not like i mentioned them and said "Hey, guy - fuck you!".

It's like if i was stood on the street and said to my friend "Hey - Game are really shit, aren't they?" and the manager overheard and and cancelled my PS4 preorder because of it.

Tbh, as a business owner myself, if I heard a customer saying something like that, rather than react so antagonistically, I'd have approached them to see why they felt that way, what I could do to help, rectify the issue, change their opinion and stop the issue causing the anger from happening in future. The response from ShopTo was wholly unprofessional.

jonno394

I don't think you did anything wrong, you didn't actively say "fuck You" to any member of staff or ShopTo, all you said was you were doing a literal fuck you by not ordering your games from them, so it wasnt aimed at anybody or said mailiciously. Your comparison in the second paragraph is extremely accurate.

Qassim

So is this the UK version of Gamestop?

I don't know why people shop at these trashy stores run by stupid immature mouthbreathers. Don't give these retards any money. Buy your stuff from Amazon or any place that does business in a professional manner.

Nah, Shopto is a relatively small independent. They've generally been, in my experience, excellent with the service they provide - just whoever runs their twitter account is absolutely ridiculous in their ability to communicate with people.

If I recall correctly it engaged in some petty argument with a customer on twitter a few months ago too.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Thats not right, how did they get your account number to cancel it?

Ricker

Not saying you are lying or anything but why am I getting the feeling we are not being told the whole story here...In the screenshot you posted,you never say fuck you per say,they do and then they cancel your pre-order...? or am I missing something.

Silky

Banned
If you all are seriously thinking that this is the OP's fault, you don't seem to get retail; customer, no matter how shitty he is, is 'always right.' Shopto being unable to comply and simply canceling his pre-order for getting rowdy is extremely bad business.

I'll just say that both parties involved acted childishly.

Perhaps, but in this case, the customer was having a conversation with a friend on a service not related to shopto.

This is crazy. I can see a case if you were bashing them on their own website or something, but this? I've seen gamestop and other retailers get bashed left and right on the Internet, but this is the first time I've read something like this, and on tweeter no less.

Exile20

Does the person in charge of thier twitter have the power to cancel orders for this reason?

Was it actually canceled?

Wow. That's very disappointing.

I never really used shopto all that often but this puts me off purchasing games there altogether.

I stopped using them after I bought a game as part of a really generous promo code they offered... the payment was taken, but no email notification received (which I thought was unusual, but not enough to query it at the time). The game never arrived, and after leaving it a fair amount of time to raise the issue, the rep(s) I spoke with were blunt to the point of rudeness, convinced that it had been delivered. No refund, no replacement, nothing. I had used them for years, spending thousands of pounds - which I pointed out - but my customer loyalty meant nothing to them. I demanded that they closed my account while I was on the call, and that a) they would never see any business from me ever again, and b) I would tell anyone who would listen exactly what kind of business ST operates. I also enquired as to how I could complain about the poor customer experience I was receiving, only to be told 'we don't have a complaints procedure'. That sealed the deal for me to walk away from ST for good.

Yazuka

I've never had any problems with ShopTo. But reading stuff like this... I just feel I can't support a company who does this. And yeah OP, you could have DM your friend that FU.
Still it's not a reason to do what they did, I'll have to rethink If I'll buy from them again.

You whined like a child but that's no reason to cancel someone's preorder.

There's no winner here.
He was bitching to a friend about shit service; we've all done that at one point or another.

The weird thing is that, even though it wasn't in reply or sent to shopto, that they've been watching his public tweets to friends.

jonno394

Just checked, th fuck you comment wasn't mentioned in any tweet to do with @shopto so they trawled through his history and saw it rather than any negative or obscene language being aimed at them, is that correct?

So does this mean with the that depth social media is nowadays that as customers we cannot criticize companies any longer?

Seems like an infringement on freedom of speech, but I'm no lawyer.

It's not an infringement on free speech. He was free to vent, ShopTo were free to cancel his pre-order. I don't think ShopTo have went about this in the right way at all, but they haven't breached any freedom of speech laws.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom