• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

DBT85

You'd think a business would know that behaviour like this never ends up better for them than the person they were acting against.

Baleoce

Just checked, th fuck you comment wasn't mentioned in any tweet to do with @shopto so they trawled through his history and saw it rather than any negative or obscene language being aimed at them, is that correct?

No the shop to net twitter account will just be scanning for "shopto" in search, and that tweet will have popped up.

Carl

Seems like you have given your account number after saying that you'd switch to amazon as a fuck you. I wouldn't have done that. Seems like they just wanted to find out who you are to cancel your pre-order.

Its a really shitty thing to do from shopto.

Yep, if only i'd known the reason they wanted it. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Personally I'd contact shopto separately about this, see if you can come to an agreement. Give them the chance to deal with it before throwing it at MCV, Kotaku etc.

thats how a small independent store would do things, and if it were so.. I'd be telling YOU to fuck off... but its not. Shopto is a big player in the UK and cant be acting like this wtf

This PS4 launch getting all the companies riled up! SRS BIZNESS

Jezbollah

It's not an infringement on free speech. He was free to vent, ShopTo were free to cancel his pre-order. I don't think ShopTo have went about this in the right way at all, but they haven't breached any freedom of speech laws.

They have however used a term for their customer account service in a very shady way - they have invoked closure of that account due to a conversation not involving them. That is potentially disputable and possibly worthy of a complaint to the Office of Fair Trading.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I still like to know how they got your account info.
Edit: nvm you gave them your account number :-/

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Hell is going on over there? First SimplyGames acting shady now this??

BWds1mYCEAItnxa.png

With image compression like this you don't even deserve a PS4!

(Sorry for your loss.)

Bit silly on your part, massively stupid on theirs, but what can you do? They have a right to serve who they want and they're not going to find it hard to sell your PS4. They're not going to lose any customers over this (you aside), no matter how big a shitstorm you make, because gamers go where the games are cheap, and if that's ShopTo then that's where they go.

There's been almost nothing but shit from Zavvi to everyone in the CAG thread, but people still buy from them every single week.

Seanspeed

Banned
If the tweet was public, whoever runs the account could search 'Shopto' and see any public tweet mentioning them.
Well yea, but they wouldn't do that, surely? That's absolutely insane, having companies stalk your social communications. Seriously. The person that mentioned that the same sort of thing would occur if he did it in a retail store is wrong. You don't treat customers like this, whatsoever. If somebody comes in your store and complains and perhaps says 'Fuck <insert company name' here>, then you do what you can to please and console them, not turn them away and create bad will.

I get the impression a lot of people don't understand the point of customer service. There should be no outward judging of customers AT ALL. And people should not feel compelled to keep their criticisms quiet in fear of retribution form said company. That's ridiculous. OP did nothing wrong whatsoever and should be allowed to complain on twitter if he wants.

I think because of a prior DM.
I don't know what a 'DM' is.

prag16

Banned
Sure your chat with your friend was a bit over the top but so what?

This is NOT how a professional business deals with things.

Imagine if your bank closed your account because you complained about them....

Bullshit.
This. Everyone in this thread making a point of it to call the TC childish is missing the point. He was slightly callous but when you come down to it, he did nothing wrong. Shopto on the other hand..

Stuart444

I actually have paid off orders* with them up until December (games + PS4 and some other games). Would they just close my account even though I have actually paid them in advance if I did the same thing as the Op? Would they even refund me? (or would they not check and just close the account).

Scary thoughts...

*I pay off orders because I find it easier to manage my spending habits by paying off things months in advance.

God damn that is hilarious. I hope you get it sorted though OP, and it sucks that it happened in the first place. It's also a shame that their customer service is apparently ruining what is, in my experience, an otherwise quality operation.

On the bright side, I was literally just about to buy Pokemon from Shopto, and have now ordered from Amazon instead.

legacyzero

Banned
#fuckyoushopto

I can dig it.

ivylWZ5QeNezi.png

Haha, can you imagine if all companies took this policy with people that complained about them on twitter?

As somebody that works in customer service for an American telco, I can tell you that it's tempting sometimes depending on the customer. But that's not their policy. And I'd wager that's not Shopto's policy either. Sure, you get some rowdy customers, but they want to keep your business regardless, and want to avoid negative image in the public eye.

Well if you look at their "news" coverage you will see some shady as hell shit going on courtesy of their in-house journalist Joe.

Weekend Chat: Where do you buy your Microsoft credit from?

There are many places to buy Microsoft credit, be it straight from the Xbox Live dashboard, via scratch cards which can be purchased through various retailers and through instant online purchases, the latter of which often allows you to save money.

So where do you buy your Microsoft credit from?

As you no doubt know, Xbox Live credit allows you to purchase games, avatars, dlc and more. Often people will purchase games direct from the dashboard via impulse buys, or perhaps pick up some credit on thier visit to the high street. So if you are one of these people let us know why you purchase in this way, is it convenience? If you buy from the high street or online, what retailers do you use?

Finally, did you know that you can buy instant Xbox credit from ShopTo? Purchasing in this way not only sees you saving money, but will also get you instant access to your credit via your ShopTo account. Sure it's not as fast as buying straight from Xbox Live, but it may save you enough to buy an extra piece of dlc or over the long term, an extra game.

So let us know, how do you purchase your Xbox Live Credit?

So OP, whilst I'm sorry you were affected by this I'm not surprised.

xelloss12

So does this mean with the that depth social media is nowadays that as customers we cannot criticize companies any longer?

Seems like an infringement on freedom of speech, but I'm no lawyer.

Freedom of speech means the government can't punish you for what you say, not private individuals.

You can't call your boss an ugly motherfucker and hide under freedom of speech not to get fired. You can't post pretend insider posts on neogaf and hide under freedom of speech not to get banned.

Rubiks Cube

Neo Member
Only reason I pre ordered my PS4 from there is because I know they are really good with shipping/delivery. I normally avoid them, and will be back to doing so after I get my PS4.

Carnby

OP, In your conversation with Shopto, you were clearly given an opportunity to apologize. Instead you said "haha. Seriously? Okay". You should have taken the high road.

Alx

TL;DR said "Fuck shopto" in a conversation with a friend on Twitter. Shopto cancelled my PS4 preorder because of it.

I don't think it's a nice move from the shop to cancel your order, but... why on earth would you have a private conversation with a friend in a media that is available to the whole planet ? I really don't get Twitter and its users...

OP, In your conversation with Shopto, you were clearly given an opportunity to apologize. Instead you said "haha. Seriously? Okay". You should have taken the high road.

Please large company allow me to use your services, pleeeeease. No, fuck them.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Nah, Shopto is a relatively small independent. They've generally been, in my experience, excellent with the service they provide - just whoever runs their twitter account is absolutely ridiculous in their ability to communicate with people.

If I recall correctly it engaged in some petty argument with a customer on twitter a few months ago too.

If they are small company then this shit (seeing it's not new and other similar situation with their twitter account happened in the past) will damage their reputation and hurt them real bad, small online stores should learn from the best business, Amazon customer service treat their customers as they are kings even when people being rude, that why people love and keep buying from Amazon.

Dantis

I have a feeling that when you said you're cancelling your games on ShopTo and ordering them from Amazon as a 'Fuck you', that's what they considered abusive.

I'm not really sure how to feel about this. I mean, they could argue that you were trying to encourage other people to do the same, right? And no money has changed hands, so they basically said "Look, if you're not going to play nice, you lose the privilege".

I don't think it's a nice move from the shop to cancel your order, but... why on earth would you have a private conversation with a friend in a media that is available to the whole planet ? I really don't get Twitter and its users...

He actually said he was cancelling his games on Shopto and ordering them on Amazon as a Fuck you, which is a bit different.

On one hand fuck Shopto but if you were in my store complaining about me and and saying your taking your business elsewhere I would have acted the same way.

Welp...

their customer service is abysmal, they are rude to their customers on Facebook and Twitter,

customer service is completely useless

due to a recent run in with their customer service I will no longer be shopping with them and am also advising my friends, family, and everyone else to boycott them as well

Poor customer service made it near impossible to rectify

“Rude staff and worst experience ever!!”

The level of customer service I have received from this company is absolutely diabolical!! Do not use this site!!! STEER WELL AWAY!!!!!!!

etc....

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews154958.html

Seanspeed

Banned
Direct Message. Message seen between only two Twitter accounts of which the 1st step to do so is to "Follow" each other, hence why ShopTo knew his Twitter account.
Oh, so he possibly said it straight to the customer service rep? That does make it worse, but still not something you ban a customer for. If anything, its more reason to try and be apologetic and do what you can to make them happy. You have to completely wipe away any personal ego doing customer service and just MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPY within your power. That's it. You put on a fake smile and suck up any shit people give to you.

Also the cunts my credit card details got leaked from and they then tried to deny it rudely, despite it happening to a hell lot of their customers all of a sudden.

Acosta

"Apologize?" he was chatting with a friend. The conversation can be public, but it was not addressed directly to them and it was not something said to any representative of the company, just talking in jest with an unrelated part.

These forums are also public (in the sense that anyone could read them), maybe we should let companies forbid certain users from buying their products when someone talk trash about them (lol).

This is major fuckup from whoever was in charge of that Shopto account and if the story spreads he/she is going to be in trouble.

hohoXD123

On one hand fuck Shopto but if you were in my store complaining about me and and saying your taking your business elsewhere I would have acted the same way.

And if he was outside your store and complaining about your inferior prices to his friend?

Oh, so he possibly said it straight to the customer service rep? That does make it worse, but still not something you ban a customer for. If anything, its more reason to try and be apologetic and do what you can to make them happy. You have to completely wipe away any personal ego doing customer service and just MAKE CUSTOMERS HAPPY within your power. That's it. You put on a fake smile and suck up any shit people give to you.

No, he said it to his friend in a public tweet, not straight to the customer service rep, and the customer service rep saw it.

level44

Very bad customer service from ShopTo but your empty threat of switching when you had zero intention to is pretty stupid too. So I don't know what to think. Maybe they cancel each other out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom