• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Storm360

Sorry if someone has asked this..

but why the hell did you give them your account number? Even by name you were still essentially anonymous up to that point.

My guess is he thought they were gonna give him a discount or something to keep him as a customer

dc89

86GXPU1.png

The mutha fucking President is going to know about this now.

acm2000

haha brilliant love the sense of humor from the shopto customer service rep

slagging them off in a private conversation (twitter... really? could you make it any LESS private??)

sorry, but op kinda deserved what he got

Sorry if someone has asked this..

but why the hell did you give them your account number? Even by name you were still essentially anonymous up to that point.
He probably thought they were going to give him some actual customer service, due to their previous conversations.

Obviously he was wrong.

Didn't this site allegedly have people's private details being taken due to credit card fraud or something? I've never shopped from them and would probably never consider it because of that.

hmm....Maybe I have misunderstood the situation then. Did the OP tell the Shopto Customer Service rep to fuck off, or was it a general public comment.

If it was directly to the Shopto staff member then they are within their rights to cancel his pre-order, but if it was just a general comment like you say then I'm puzzled at the reaction.

The OP has made it quite clear that it was tweeted to his friend.

pelican

Additionally, I don't think you can cancel a customers pre-order without their permission - im not sure if Shopto takes any money down to secure a pre-order so if they do they are breaking a contract.

Even if a customer pays for a pre-order there is no contact of sale. They are perfectly within their rights to cancel a pre-order, and refund any funds without permission or prior warning.

What they can't do is cancel the pre-order, and not refund the deposit.

hohoXD123

He can take his business elsewhere. What happened sucks but if he was public slamming my company I'd tell him to get fucked. I know plenty of people that go on Facebook and complain about their jobs and the word getting around to the Boss and they end up getting fired. I realize the OP is young and acted like a child but sometimes actions have consequences.

Sony said they'll have walk in stock I'm sure you'll be fine.

In that case your business isn't going to do very well. A customer and an employee are two very different things, how can you even make that comparison?

I say we should get #fuckshopto trending on twitter. Let's try to beat the #nodrm campaign.

hmm....Maybe I have misunderstood the situation then. Did the OP tell the Shopto Customer Service rep to fuck off, or was it a general public comment.

If it was directly to the Shopto staff member then they are within their rights to cancel his pre-order, but if it was just a general comment like you say then I'm puzzled at the reaction.

He said that he was going to cancel his preorder as a "fuck you" to Shopto for not dropping the price, he didn't say anything bad directly to Shopto.. it's like me Tweeting one of my friends saying "Amazon won't lower the price, I'm changing to x retailer as a fuck you" and them then deleting the preorder... they had to actually look to find it, he didn't tweet it @them.

pizza dog

Banned
if it was an @ reply to his friend, nobody else would see it unless they were following both of them (i.e presumably in their circle of friends). So it isn't really public, you have to search for it.

Why do you think a social media customer service team is using Twitter through the web interface.

As soon as they started an interaction with him, they probably started it as a session in whatever pro-grade software they use so they could track it across different staff if need be.

There is no reasonable expectation of privacy on twitter replies get real.

haha brilliant love the sense of humor from the shopto customer service rep

slagging them off in a private conversation (twitter... really? could you make it any LESS private??)

sorry, but op kinda deserved what he got

It's amazing to think that people view the company's response as proportionate....

Pendulum

if it was an @ reply to his friend, nobody else would see it unless they were following both of them (i.e presumably in their circle of friends). So it isn't really public, you have to search for it.

I wouldn't be surprised if ShopTo has an open search for their name. Any CS rep for a company should. And so what they saw in their Search feed was "@TheRocketMind Had games preordered at Shopto but switching them all to Amazon to say fuck you :)"

There's no "snooping" or "spying", much to the disappointed of some people in this thread. (not a defense of what they did next)

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
How come no one has questioned how Shopto saw his tweet. I doubt they are spying on OP. He probably hash tagged Shopto. OP said fuck you to shopto. Shopto said "oh no... fuck you."

Shopto is not a person, they are a business. OP is under no obligation to treat them with courtesy like he would treat a person. OP's preorder is a business contract (or at least an implied contract), and that is entirely separate from anything he says about them in his personal or public internet life.

They may have the right to cancel his order in response to his behavior, but I think most people will share my opinion that they are in the wrong and should reap the negative publicity.

I've seen customers that behave in a childish manner, but this is the first time I've seen a business outlet that behaves in a childish manner.
I've dealt a lot with childish customers and job fair candidates and it's really hard to put a fake smile and maintain your nerves but that's called being professional.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
Who gives a shit what the OP said or did lol, he's is the customer. Can't believe a retailer would do this.

So entitled. The "customer". Not saying the retailer was correct in its actions by anymeans but a retailer standing tall on the 450 launch bundle is not criminal. Does every independent need to match amazons ultimate low price for customers to buy? Sad thats the world people live in.

I have seen people walk into local store fronts, ask how much something was, receive an answer, check the price on the phone and walk out due to a ten dollar difference on a 300 dollar item. The item being phyically right in front of them but they would rather wait a few days by mail.

gatti-man

Absolutely absurd, and I doubt the guy that runs their Twitter account even had the authority to make that call

Actually my money is it's the owner or acting GM. Usually these people have the short fuse and act with impunity. I run my company's fb and see rude stuff posted all the time.

Let me get this straight, to make sure I've interpreted this right

[customer contacts shopto twitter with DM about whether they will drop price]
-
[customer chats with friend seperate to previous interaction, voices his displeasure, does not tag them or anything though]
-
[shopto takes to reading customers feed, reads the independent conversation, takes initiative to contact customer, asks for account number, could be related to the 1st interaction, customer provides and instead rep uses it to put cusomer on the spot and delete their account]

That's how I'm reading OP. If that's right, pffft, that's terrible. Regardless of whether he badmouthed them or not, that's pretty bang out. You can't try and strong arm genuine word of mouth like that. Or you can, and people stop shopping with you.

I've seen customers that behave in a childish manner, but this is the first time I've seen a business outlet that behaves in a childish manner.
I've dealt a lot with childish customers and job fair candidates and it's really hard to put a fake smile and maintain your nerves but that's called being professional.

Not to mention you're actually being paid to "be professional", your customers aren't. ;-)

Jezbollah

I wouldn't be surprised if ShopTo has an open search for their name. Any CS rep for a company should. And so what they saw in their Search feed was "@TheRocketMind Had games preordered at Shopto but switching them all to Amazon to say fuck you :)"

There's no "snooping" or "spying", much to the disappointed of some people in this thread.

It's not so much the fact they snooped - it's the fact they applied a term in the T&C for account ownership at Shopto for something that didnt directly involve Shopto.

Its dubious. To the extreme. And quite possibly unlawful.

While the OP's fuck you tweet obviously perhaps wasn't the best course of action (even if not directed AT the retailer account), ShopTo has always been a bit questionable and rubbish, imo. I had a hellish experience with them twice and would never order with them again.

xaosslug

personally? I would contact Sony about this. Like, make a post about this on Playstation forums/blog, or tweet @ysop about it.

But every company is going to get chastised, even companies like Amazon. Difference is that Amazon doesn't go around pushing customers away.

Very true but my thinking is that smaller businesses can do this. But that's moot cause I doubt Shopto is small retailer.

And there should have been more of a conversation within those direct messages then just saying they'll close an account as well. Didn't realise Shopto's customer service was like this =/

We shall see how this will all play out...

There's no "snooping" or "spying", much to the disappointed of some people in this thread. (not a defense of what they did next)
Yep I mentioned Yodel in a tweet between another and Yodel tweeted back to me =/

pelican

I think the whole things pretty funny however I'm wondering if it's legal for a company to refuse service based on disliking somebody?

Of course it is legal. A company is free to decide who it wants to do business with.

Meh... I will continue to buy my games from Shopto. Through out the years I've never had any bad customer service, and my games always arrive prior to launch.

Are you kidding me? The OP has the conversation. Shopto explained to him why they could not match the Amazon price drop (due to being a smaller company with smaller margins and without the tax free luxury Amazon has) and then the OP goes on to say he's taking his game preorders elsewhere and says "Fuck You" of course I would react with, "here you can take your console preorder too"

Didn't this site allegedly have people's private details being taken due to credit card fraud or something? I've never shopped from them and would probably never consider it because of that.

They definitely had, I posted about it earlier. Yeah credit card details were stolen and attempted to be used, shopto denied everything (rudely too) despite quite a crowd suddenly having had their CC's stolen after buying from them, many saying they hadn't used for anything else (which I don't think I did either). Of course my bank just closed down my CC immediately because they could see that was not me trying to do that, but still had to get a new card which was a bit of a pain in the ass.

legacyzero

Banned
I can't believe you gave them your account number over twitter, mind blowing.

He probably assumed that they would look into it. If a rep of a company asks me via DM for an order number, and the issue is about a specific order, I can see how one would feel compelled to give them that information.

It's still not adviseable outside of the website chat, but still. Easy mistake to make. I think that's the worst part of all of this. And the rep didn't even say, "Hey, what's your order number, so I can cancel it."

They just did it.

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
Already gave you my support on Twitter dude but here's another "Fuck you ShopTo" to add to the list. It certainly wasn't abusive to them and you didn't directly go out of your way to insult them. ShopTo just shot themselves in the foot, is it so hard to ignore a tweet and get £400 from the man?

There's no "snooping" or "spying", much to the disappointed of some people in this thread.
The fact they went out their way to cancel his account for what he said on his twitter is what disturbs me. It's incredibly immature on their part and it's terrible customer service.

Imagine if MS or Sony cancelled people's PSN or LIVE accounts for comments on Neogaf about crap service; there would be a shitstorm.

Jezbollah

Are you kidding me? The OP has the conversation. Shopto explained to him why they could not match the Amazon price drop (due to being a smaller company with smaller margins and without the tax free luxury Amazon has) and then the OP goes on to say he's taking his game preorders elsewhere and says "Fuck You" of course I would react with, "here you can take your console preorder too"

He didnt say "fuck you" AT the retailer. It was a conversation with a friend. Didnt involve ShopTo (except to mention them by name to his friend) at ALL.

madmackem

Nothing surprise me with them, i was one of the unlucky ones that got my card numbers stolen on a fresh card with only shopto and tesco having been used on it. I was reluctant to use them for a fair while. I then give in after what most have been a year and placed an order for a game. My bank phoned me to say i was overdrawn as i have no overdraft i had enough in to cover the cost of the game without a doubt. I phone shopto and was told they had taken payment for a game over a year ago that they had sent me and failed to take payment for. I thought this was pretty unacceptable and told them so they never replied to me so ive not went back.

Pendulum

It's not so much the fact they snooped - it's the fact they applied a term in the T&C for account ownership at Shopto for something that didnt directly involve Shopto.

Its dubious. To the extreme. And quite possibly unlawful.

Yeah, I amended my post to clarify that although they didn't snoop, it's no defense for what they did next.

SHADES

Freedom of speech means the government can't punish you for what you say, not private individuals.

You can't call your boss an ugly motherfucker and hide under freedom of speech not to get fired. You can't post pretend insider posts on neogaf and hide under freedom of speech not to get banned.

Yeah I understand that, but was unsure how it covers you as even in written form as long its not libel,slander,racial,sexual hate,sedition,obscenity & copyright violation.
Seeing his(IMO silly) tweet wasn't personal & directed at a company, actually, honestly I don't know, legally as pointed out both parties have the right to take the actions they did, just seems rather childish on both parties but only one party is in the business of sales.

SnowHawk

So many corporate apologists in here. It's actually kinda scary people let companies do whatever they want.

Was Carl being childish? Sure but he didn't say anything rude directly to Shopto so this is messed up. Sorry bud. :(

fritolay

I don't know who ShopTo is, but now I have an opinion of them before I ever even attempt to do business with them, and that is they are not professional and I don't want to do business with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom