• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So... Shopto (UK retailer) cancelled my PS4 preorder for complaining on twitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

RulkezX

I've noticed they have been increasingly aggressive on their Facebook and on the comments page on their site lately. OP isn't the first user to take shit off them.

Their prices have been poor of late as well.

No offense, but you fucked up when you bad mouthed them on twitter and gave them your account #. You are the same as all the devs that use twitter and say stupid stuff that gets them fired. If you want to have a conversation with someone, don't do it publicly.

It is crappy that it got cancelled but it isn't like you handled anything well either.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Such fucking PR idiocy by Shopto. Seriously.

Scenario 1: Op says whatever about Shopto, but keeps the order anyway, for reasons. Shopto gets money.

Scenario 2: Op says whatever about Shopto, cancels the order. Shopto gets no money.

What Shopto did: Assume scenario 2 is locked in. Cancel order themselves, despite order projected to be canceled by Op. Say dumb shit. Shopto gets no money, gets bad PR instead.

Assuming the worst case scenario, then unnecessarily making it worse, is a rather curious PR tactic.

B

bomb

Unconfirmed Member
He didnt say "fuck you" AT the retailer. It was a conversation with a friend. Didnt involve ShopTo (except to mention them by name to his friend) at ALL.

So if I was at a restaurant and I turned to my buddy and said something derogatory about the restaurant above my normal talking voice, the restaurant wouldn't do anything about it because I am the customer and I am always right?

Wasp

Didn't this site allegedly have people's private details being taken due to credit card fraud or something? I've never shopped from them and would probably never consider it because of that.
Yes. I was one of the people who had some money stolen, in my case it was someone using my debit card details to buy a phone top-up. It was only about £30 though and I claimed it back from the bank. I'm almost certain it was due to being a ShopTo customer.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Are you kidding me? The OP has the conversation. Shopto explained to him why they could not match the Amazon price drop (due to being a smaller company with smaller margins and without the tax free luxury Amazon has) and then the OP goes on to say he's taking his game preorders elsewhere and says "Fuck You" of course I would react with, "here you can take your console preorder too"

The difference is that a business isn't a person and shouldn't react like they are a person. You're applying the lens of interpersonal interaction in an appropriate context. I mean, as I said above, Shopto may have the right to react that way, but it's really fucking dumb for them to do so as a business.

Dachande

I can't believe people are actually defending Shopto here.

The OP may not have been cordial or polite about the situation, but Shopto are a business - cancelling his order because of the comments is vindictive and petty, and the person running the Twitter account should absolutely lose their job for it. People can talk about their rights as a business as much as they want, but this was unprofessional and they don't get to act like a spiteful child because they feel like it.

I think I'm done with them now, personally. I used to order from them because they were cheap and fast, but I don't want to support this kind of behaviour.

Alchemist

ShopTo had no right to close the account. The "switching to Amazon to say fuck you" tweet wasn't directly tweeted to ShopTo so they must have been reading Carl's tweets to confront him in a direct message.

Personally I would have ignored the message asking for my account code all together. If this happened to me and it was my only pre-order I'd kick up a fuss.

Midou

While I agree OP's comments weren't super professional either, I don't think 'both sides were childish' is even remotely accurate. Sure comments like that in public aren't the best thing to say, but you would expect a business account to act more professional than that. When you post from a company account, you are clearly representing the whole company and its brand. It doesn't matter that it's just one guy who slipped up, it's clear how the average person sees it. If Gamestop canceled a pre-order everytime someone said something shitty about them, they would have no customers.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I can't believe you gave them your account number over twitter, mind blowing.

Some online stores ask you that on twitter DM to help you, and reading the conversation I thought they wanted to help at first (like if someone cancelled they'll shift the order to him) but their twitter guy was just angry it seems.

Why did you give them your account number lmfao....

OP when you gave them your account number what were you expecting? Whatever happened to good old fashioned common sense? not the wisest move to publicly slag the company your hoping to get your launch day console from. I hope it works out for you op, but this was totally avoidable.

nib95

Banned
So if I was at a restaurant and I turned to my buddy and said something derogatory about the restaurant above my normal talking voic, the restaurant wouldn't do anything about it because I am the customer and I am always right?

They might say, Sir please refrain from that language. But no, unless you swore directly at a member of staff, I doubt it. And swearing inside a business and swearing in a public domain is NOT the same thing.

He didnt say "fuck you" AT the retailer. It was a conversation with a friend. Didnt involve ShopTo (except to mention them by name to his friend) at ALL.

He said it publicly, it was not a direct message. It's out it in the open for everyone to see. They clearly explained why they could not match.

HT UK

I remember when ShopTo used to be awesome. I ordered all my games from there. But for a few years now, their prices and service have become very disappointing. I haven't ordered from there in a long time.

Ryuuga

Banned
So if I was at a restaurant and I turned to my buddy and said something derogatory about the restaurant above my normal talking voice, the restaurant wouldn't do anything about it because I am the customer and I am always right?

Yes, that's right? As long as you aren't disturbing any of the other guests or staff by holding this conversation why WOULD the restaurant need to do anything?

coughlanio

No offense, but you fucked up when you bad mouthed them on twitter and gave them your account #. You are the same as all the devs that use twitter and say stupid stuff that gets them fired. If you want to have a conversation with someone, don't use twitter.

I think the point is, that it shows what ShopTo think about their customers. The OP had an issue with them, and instead of trying to resolve the issue, or find out more information even, they just cancelled his order because "We don't like you".

That is NOT how you run any business. Under any circumstance. If I was the CS rep's boss, I'd fire him without any qualms.

I've noticed they have been increasingly aggressive on their Facebook and on the comments page on their site lately. OP isn't the first user to take shit off them.

Yeah, I've noticed that.

It's a shame because I use them frequently but incidents like this make me much more reluctant, despite my own positive experiences.

Jezbollah

In most cases, yes. But in your scenario, you would indicate intent by the initiator of the conversation that he meant to be overheard. Are you saying that retailers should be immune to criticism?

He said it publicly, it was not a direct message. It's out it in the open for everyone to see. They clearly explained why they could not match.

So do you think that even though the OP swore to his friend, that the retailer should have applied a T&C that is clearly aimed at treatment by customers to them directly?

Lily

From a company whose CEO is a tax dodger, who employ members from another company that was run into the ground (ever wondered why their prices have increased considerably over the past year? here's your answer), introducing finance plans for consoles? Terrible customer service? Having a childish tantrum and not stocking one of the biggest games of the year (ghosts) because they weren't allowed to send the games out days in advance?

Not to mention the whole credit card farce from a few years ago.

They are a POS company and I cannot wait to see the back of them.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
While I agree OP's comments weren't super professional either, I don't think 'both sides were childish' is even remotely accurate. Sure comments like that in public aren't the best thing to say, but you would expect a business account to act more professional than that. When you post from a company account, you are clearly representing the whole company and its brand. It doesn't matter that it's just one guy who slipped up, it's clear how the average person sees it. If Gamestop canceled a pre-order everytime someone said something shitty about them, they would have no customers.

Customers aren't "professionals," so it's nonsensical to hold him to that standard. If you're using the word as a synonym for "courteous," then yeah, he was indeed discourteous.

Azusa

I remember when ShopTo used to be awesome. I ordered all my games from there. But for a few years now, their prices and service have become very disappointing. I haven't ordered from there in a long time.

In my experience, most times they are cheaper than Amazon and games are arriving way faster.

Jesus, how utterly ridiculous.

And I'm not surprised to see people defending this, no doubt the same people bought into the rhetoric that large businesses are people too...

I don't think you can really draw that real world comparison. The real world comparison goes something like this:

You are having a private conversation with your friend in a public place and suggest humorously (though you are being serious) that you are going to switch your game orders to Amazon because ShopTo are charging £20 more for your PS4 bundle as a "fuck you".

Just so happens that ShopTo are making use of listening devices which are installed literally everywhere and someone who works for them cottons on, gets pissed and calls you to tell you that they've cancelled your account.

Desaan

.I hope it works out for you op, but this was totally avoidable.

Yeah, by not ordering from Shopto!

I have a pre-order with them from day one, got the mega bundle. Are they gonna cancel my pre-order because I'm calling them out on their shitty PR and lack of professionalism?

Come at me Shopto.

No Love

Banned
No offense, but you fucked up when you bad mouthed them on twitter and gave them your account #. You are the same as all the devs that use twitter and say stupid stuff that gets them fired. If you want to have a conversation with someone, don't do it publicly.

It is crappy that it got cancelled but it isn't like you handled anything well either.

Don't ever work in PR or marketing. You would get fired the first week.

I think the point is, that it shows what ShopTo think about their customers. The OP had an issue with them, and instead of trying to resolve the issue, or find out more information even, they just cancelled his order because "We don't like you".

That is NOT how you run any business. Under any circumstance. If I was the CS rep's boss, I'd fire him without any qualms.

They did try to resolve the issue by explaining that they weren't lowering the price. OP then went and badmouthed them on twitter. They apparently don't want this business since he's not going to be shopping there anymore anyways.

Actions have consequences, both parties are finding this out.

w00zey

shopto definitely acted in the wrong customer service wise but being aggressive towards any company regardless of how small the transaction rarely ends well. I'm human though and if you told me you were going to take your fucking services elsewhere id probably rather not have you as a customer either and say go somewhere else.

Baleoce

On one hand fuck Shopto but if you were in my store complaining about me and and saying your taking your business elsewhere I would have acted the same way.

Why are people all that surprised? If this scenario came up on Xbox Live wouldn't the same thing had happened?

like someone said if you acted like that in the store, you should expect same treatment. YOu went out there to provoke them, they didnt do anything to you like misplaced your order or anything, you went out there to attack. Closing your account is not a suprise. if you dont want them, they dont want you.

Why do people keep making this awful comparison?

Liamario

Banned
You were being a bit of a baby about it, but the guy on twitter was out of line for cancelling your account/order. Pathetic really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom