• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Target shipped someone an Xbox One already? [Update: console-banned until launch]

Vestal

Gold Member
Just chatted with him and we're all set. Great guy.

His console will be unblocked as soon as things are done on Live, the Store etc. (since things are not quite done yet) and we are working on getting his YT strike removed.

Just another Saturday leading up to launch…right?
handled very well Major.

Hey Major you should write an article, sort of a post mortem in regards to how your job has changed over the past 10 or so years, given the rapid changing methods of communication.

I bet you didn't expect to have a gaming forum such as GAF, having such a profound impact in the business day to day 10 years ago.

I am sure many would read it, since it applies to not just gaming but consumerism as a whole.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hah, I figured they'd make him sign an NDA.

Well hey, he gave us so much info that there's not really much else I can think of that I want to see.

Good that it's all ended peacefully.

Random Question,

If I have a GT from the original Xbox can I recover it if it has never been used on the 360?

I don't remember the email I used to sign up nor the password with the GT.

All I know is the GT, I can keep guessing at passwords until I get it?

mdsfx

Out of curiosity, did this guy post any gameplay footage? Wondering if he downloaded any games like KI...

Skeff

His console will be unblocked as soon as things are done on Live, the Store etc. (since things are not quite done yet) and we are working on getting his YT strike removed.

Just another flip of a switch....right?

blackflag

Good job there. I'm sure you've made him very relieved and happy.

Skeff

It's hard to tell some NeoGAF threads and The Inquirer apart lately. So much needless drama.

GAMES, PLZ.

Without the drama do you think this kid would be at the launch party or have his console unbanned? When my 360 was banned for breaking street date all I got was an email from support saying they don't discuss bans....

JLeack

Banned

Awesome response.

Two more weeks!!

Good on you!

Just curious: the other people who were online during the time, I'm guessing they are developers? Seems like he got banned for posting info over anything else, otherwise.

PORKMON

so some anonymous guy got xbox one somewhere and got it started.
then connected xbox live, logged on to it and downloaded the patch and watch around the menu.....

hmm i hope this company called microsoft has nothing to do with thing called security.
otherwise i can not use this low level security operating system or net work service or whatever they do handle my personal info.

then connected xbox live, logged on to it and downloaded the patch and watch around the menu.....

hmm i hope this company called microsoft has nothing to do with thing called security.
otherwise i can not use this low level security operating system or net work service or whatever they do handle my personal info.

wat

I find the TV integration really neat, my only concern is (and I am not taking a jab at the xbox) is the reliability of the box. I mean is it really designed to be on all the time (i.e. in standby mode), I just hope the box is robust and we dont have an RROD like issue again.

Good deal :)

mdsfx

I find the TV integration really neat, my only concern is (and I am not taking a jab at the xbox) is the reliability of the box. I mean is it really designed to be on all the time (i.e. in standby mode), I just hope the box is robust and we dont have an RROD like issue again.

After having gone through 5 360's, I'm being patient this launch...

what is this I don't even...

If I spent a billion on R&D, Marketing, and Production and my online services were not quite ready. No way would I allow a guy you tubing everything get ahead of my main marketing, if something goes wrong it may go viral.

No issues with ban. Rather angry nerds that live in delusion be mad than angry delusional nerds over react to a potential prerelease bug.

thats why you arent in charge of anything :)

I'm just saying that they saw the response to it. They know if they do that again they will lose those people forever this time.
Except when Albert said "the customers weren't ready" just a few days ago in a interview and a bunch of other bullshit. Embrace it, it's probably coming whether "we're ready" or not.

handled very well Major.

Hey Major you should write an article, sort of a post mortem in regards to how your job has changed over the past 10 or so years, given the rapid changing methods of communication.

I bet you didn't expect to have a gaming forum such as GAF, having such a profound impact in the business day to day 10 years ago.

I am sure many would read it, since it applies to not just gaming but consumerism as a whole.

its not just gaf, its twitter, YouTube, etc.

Dai101

Banned

Really?

Except when Albert said "the customers weren't ready" just a few days ago in a interview and a bunch of other bullshit. Embrace it, it's probably coming whether "we're ready" or not.

If that was the case then how come they just didn't go with it and ignore the people?

Vestal

Gold Member

the fuck did I just read??

Mugatu

I don't know what this said but it was awesome.

Anyway, I find myself getting worked up over this crap for no real reason so I'm going to stay away from Xbone threads from now on.

I don't think I did but if I said anything to offend anyone then I am sorry, it was not my intention to be a jerk.

Ambient80

Very cool dude.

Just a little bit longer and this will be over!

...or just beginning ;)

I bet you are :)

Ggp7OGY.png

Let me guess, Larry coerced him to sign an NDA.

fuck, really disappointed. you had the juice bro. you had it.

Awesome, since Major Nelson wrapped this up and it's been stated that users will be unbanned close to launch, I hope we can put this story to rest.

Obviously not being banned is preferable to be being banned, but considering the heavy investment in UI that MS have done it kinda makes sense, at least.

The bigger story is that the dude got NDA'd and has to consult with Larry before giving real impressions.

Godslay

Banned
MS has been trying their damndest for the past 6 months to "build anticipation and guide the narrative" around the Xbox One. They basically threw a temper tantrum because "the media" and "entitled gamers" didn't allow them to pass this controlled PR message to consumers about "unlimited graphics via cloud computing"/"balanced hardware"/"no comment on indie games"/"DRM freedom is slavery"/"Kinect must be plugged in". The entire fiasco was ridiculous. The box is a physical thing, with power, price, and software quantifiable and comparable to other products on the market.

The entire attempt was derailed by their reversals. We know that most of their statements around E3 were sleazy PR. They did what they had to do to get their preorders up, and I suppose they should be congratulated for finally listening to their customers rather than defending "the message" to the grave. But with Albert's recent statements about not knowing resolutions of the biggest launch games (before resolutiongate), and the recent banning, you get the sense that MS is still fighting tooth and nail to maintain some pretense over the launch.

You can't hide what your product is and does in consumer electronics. Not in 2013. The world has changed since the release of the iPhone and the increase in tech enthusiast websites. When people buy a modern phone/tablet, they want to know the screen resolution, CPU clock speeds, battery life, benchmark scores, build materials, camera specs, operating system version, All of this information was known about the LG/Google Nexus 5 before it was even announced. MS' attempts to control the narrative about the One launch is taking a piss in the wind. When they say "we can increase graphics 10-fold with cloud computing" and anandtech writes a rebuttal "no, that's not true", everyone knows they are full of shit.

If LIVE sucks, if the dash crashes, if the One version of 3rd party games have severe graphic deficiencies...consumers are going to know. It's their right to know. The box is $500 after all. The absurdity of the banning here is that, from all outward appearances, the machine isn't the disaster that so many have predicted; the UI is solid, the interface is slick, the games look pretty damn good. Kinect even works, for the little content they have for it at launch. MS is pushing the same losing battle Nintendo did - if people don't know what your console does or what it's capable of, the response isn't intrigue, it's apathy. No one is dropping hundreds of dollars on a mystery box.

I was specifically speaking to allowing them to finish a product, and restrict access to a network.

If it was your company would you want someone getting a nearly complete product and guiding the narrative for it? Not letting you put the finishing touches on it before you release it to the general public? Even after you spent 3+ years developing it? I highly doubt it.

Quite frankly, I think the whole thing is silly when you boil it down. It's their box, same with Sony, and they will do with it as they see fit. Either you buy it or you don't. Going back to the fort, so don't bother to respond.

MS has been trying their damndest for the past 6 months to "build anticipation and guide the narrative" around the Xbox One. They basically threw a temper tantrum because "the media" and "entitled gamers" didn't allow them to pass this controlled PR message to consumers about "unlimited graphics via cloud computing"/"balanced hardware"/"no comment on indie games"/"DRM freedom is slavery"/"Kinect must be plugged in". The entire fiasco was ridiculous. The box is a physical thing, with power, price, and software quantifiable and comparable to other products on the market.

The entire attempt was derailed by their reversals. We know that most of their statements around E3 were sleazy PR. They did what they had to do to get their preorders up, and I suppose they should be congratulated for finally listening to their customers rather than defending "the message" to the grave. But with Albert's recent statements about not knowing resolutions of the biggest launch games (before resolutiongate), and the recent banning, you get the sense that MS is still fighting tooth and nail to maintain some pretense over the launch.

You can't hide what your product is and does in consumer electronics. Not in 2013. The world has changed since the release of the iPhone and the increase in tech enthusiast websites. When people buy a modern phone/tablet, they want to know the screen resolution, CPU clock speeds, battery life, benchmark scores, build materials, camera specs, operating system version, All of this information was known about the LG/Google Nexus 5 before it was even announced. MS' attempts to control the narrative about the One launch is taking a piss in the wind. When they say "we can increase graphics 10-fold with cloud computing" and anandtech writes a rebuttal "no, that's not true", everyone knows they are full of shit.

If LIVE sucks, if the dash crashes, if the One version of 3rd party games have severe graphic deficiencies...consumers are going to know. It's their right to know. The box is $500 after all. The absurdity of the banning here is that, from all outward appearances, the machine isn't the disaster that so many have predicted; the UI is solid, the interface is slick, the games look pretty damn good. Kinect even works, for the little content they have for it at launch. MS is pushing the same losing battle Nintendo did - if people don't know what your console does or what it's capable of, the response isn't intrigue, it's apathy. No one is dropping hundreds of dollars on a mystery box.

This post is critical but done so in a manner that anyone with a level head should be able to agree on. To me it isn't malicious, nor does it reek of being a console warrior or any of that desperation for attention that sidetracks topics. Well said and the people at Microsoft should take notice.

I was specifically speaking to allowing them to finish a product, and restrict access to a network.

If it was your company would you want someone getting a nearly complete product and guiding the narrative for it? Not letting you put the finishing touches on it before you release it to the general public? Even after you spent 3+ years developing it? I highly doubt it.

Quite frankly, I think the whole thing is silly when you boil it down. It's their box, same with Sony, and they will do with it as they see fit. Either you buy it or you don't. Going back to the fort, so don't bother to respond.

Of course, it is there product and they will want to protect it. The trouble is people hear about instant bans and go "here we go again, Microsoft taking immediate action and the negative press forces them to retract the ban". This is the situation MS has gotten themselves into, so many people are just waiting for them to screw up again. Once the system is out it will speak for itself. The Wii U had bad press for its limited hardware capabilities too but the XBox One isn't faced with the same dilemma of 3rd party support, or lack of. It may not be as pretty all the time compared to PS4 multiplat games but it won't be anything like the Wii was in comparison to the XBox 360 and the PS3.

Good on MS to promise to unban his console at launch

The whole NDA thing rubs me the wrong way though but lesser of two evils at this point

Yagharek

MS have got to worry about their image given the worst was assumed about the banning (putting my hand up here too).

The fact that they have history for illegitimate bans and an obstinate appeal process which only favours the known people (opinion leaders) and the people who make themselves known through media attention.

There are lots of people I bet who never get their unjustified bans overturned because no-one knows about it, MS won't help them and won't help them find out who to contact to get a resolution.

Top Bottom