• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So uh, Mario World must've blown's everybody's mind huh?

I was blown away just based on the amount of colors on screen.
I came straight from the NES (didn't have a Genesis), so it was a big jump to me.

But what really impressed me at the time?

YyIOomf.png

Mario being able to climb the grates and hit/flip to the back side.
Something that simple really amazed me. Imagine my mind being blown when I played Super Castlevania IV and saw the whip mechanic & Mode 7 rotating rooms. :D

The SNES was fucking amazing.

It blew my mind in that games could be great fun as SMW was like the first truly good game I played to the point that I consider it the game that got me into the hobby in the first place (note that I hadn't played much at all beforehand), so that makes it something of a mind blower for me, just not really in the same way as the OP presents it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Super Mario World is a timeless game. You look back at it today and it's simple, clean visual design remains as strong as ever. It looks, plays, and sounds perfectly even today. It really is one of the finest games ever made.

Even for those that felt underwhelmed coming from Mario 3, surely you can recognize how polished and finely tuned Mario World ultimately is.

lazygecko

Throw me in the SMB3 camp. I was sort of disappointed by SMW coming off that amazing title. Mainly the level design didn't feel as varied and imaginative as all the different worlds in SMB3. The giant world, pipe mazes, a huge fort made of crushable blocks ascending up into the sky world, etc... felt like such a grand adventure. I didn't get that feeling in SMW. It would probably have fared better from more thematic variation in the levels, and not sealing off such a big chunk of levels as a secret world. I also prefered the SMB3 suits to SMW mainly relying on different Yoshis.

Alavard

It's funny. I remember my first reactions to playing the NES for the first time, and vividly remember getting my first Playstation, but I can't remember my first time with the SNES and Super Mario World.

I remember a lot of early times playing it, and playing/watching the demo kiosks for it at Toys R' Us and other stores. I just can't remember my first time with it.

The visual/color palette upgrade was kind of amazing for its time. Then they released All-Stars (which I got free with the mail in voucher on my second SNES) and that was awesome too, even if they did screw with the jump physics. I was disappointed by the loss of some of the power ups and other things that were omitted from SMW compared to SMB3.

Mupod

SMW was pretty cool, but I was already a Sega kid back then.

My first experience with SMW was actually on one of my few early trips to the US. They had a kiosk set up in some store and I got to give the game a spin while my parents were off shopping. I read nintendo power so I knew the locations of some secrets and it was cool getting to try them out. When I finished one level I suddenly heard clapping and laughing behind me, turned around and the fattest kid I'd ever seen was standing there. I let him play for a bit but he couldn't beat the level, so I bought some game boy case things and took off.

I rented it a few times after that but never really obsessed with the game like I did SMB3. I did beat everything though.

I'm not sure if my mind has recovered yet. Still can't fathom how I 96'd the game back then as a kid.

Later my mind got battered by Super Mario 64 and then beaten around some more by Galaxy 1 and 2.

Got 3D World in my shelf too, while I wait for a Wii U. Why won't Nintendo let me recuperate in peace?

I don't undertstand at all why the OP choose THIS Mario game as the "mindblowing" one when the series has SMB1, SMB3, Mario 64 and Galaxy. Seriously... all of those were more "mindblowing" than SMW.

Because if you have been to older threads like this theres like a huge nearly 50/50 division (number up numbre down) of people who love SMB3 and people who love SMW.
If you are surprised that there's so much love of SMW and was so mindblowing for them, im as surprised of how people say the find SMB3 so much better, with its 30 second courses, items that only have one simple use and shit if used any other way and repetitive stages and bosses. Maybe this surprises you, but coming from SMB2, SMB3 just felt bland.
SMW for me was amazing becuase it did all what SMB3 did but much better and then expanded it. With amazing graphics to boot.

I understand perfectly being mindblown by the 3D world of SM64 and the perfection of SMG though, but I always didvide the 2d itinerations from the 3D ones, they are different beasts.

Talamius

SMW was amazing and had neat effects but IMO it was less mindblowing than Mario 64 was at release. The step up from 2D Mario to 3D Mario was a lot larger than the NES to SNES step.

Plus it didn't help that the feather essentially broke the game in SMW.

I was blown away just based on the amount of colors on screen.
I came straight from the NES (didn't have a Genesis), so it was a big jump to me.

But what really impressed me at the time?

YyIOomf.png

Mario being able to climb the grates and hit/flip to the back side.
Something that simple really amazed me. Imagine my mind being blown when I played Super Castlevania IV and saw the whip mechanic & Mode 7 rotating rooms. :D

The SNES was fucking amazing.

Stage 4 still has some of the most impressive graphics on SNES IMO, slowdown or no slowdown.

Yeah I definitely had more motivation to play through and struggle with Mario World over 3. Despite playing 3 pretty much exclusively in my youth, I have better memories with World.

Stupid child me thought that maybe running with a cape would let me fly. Mario lied to me.

La Poisse

Neo Member
I still clearly remember the first time I saw SMW. I was really young at the time and wasn't even aware that the Super Nintendo existed.

My dad brought me to his friends' house, and they had 2 kids. The kids went "Hey, we have a buddy who has a SNES down the street. You wanna see it ?!"

So we go to that kid's house and ask him to see the SNES. He's super snobby and blasé, and goes "Yeah, whatever". He brings us to his room and starts SMW ... OH. MY. GOD. How are such graphics and bright colors even possible ?! The kid plays for 30 seconds, then goes "That's enough" and turns it off.

Weirdly enough, that's one of my clearest memories of early childhood.

Krejlooc

Banned
I still clearly remember the first time I saw SMW. I was really young at the time and wasn't even aware that the Super Nintendo existed.

My dad brought me to his friends' house, and they had 2 kids. The kids went "Hey, we have a buddy who has a SNES down the street. You wanna see it ?!"

So we go to that kid's house and ask him to see the SNES. He's super snobby and blasé, and goes "Yeah, whatever". He brings us to his room and starts SMW ... OH. MY. GOD. How are such graphics and bright colors even possible ?! The kid plays for 30 seconds, then goes "That's enough" and turns it off.

Weirdly enough, that's one of my clearest memories of early childhood.

What a little prick.

Ryck

I remember when I got my Super Nintendo it was during the peak of Street Fighter 2 mania. I found out that it wasn't coming out for the Sega Genesis which was the system I had so I sold my NES and all my games so that I could afford a Super Nintendo, which don't get me wrong was a good decision at the time but I kind of regret now. I got the system way before SF2 came out, I want to say like five or six months before so I was basically "stuck" with Smw and another Mario game which no longer seemed cool to my 12ish year old eyes.

I ended up playing super Mario world that entire summer, I mean I played it every day, for I want to say three or four months. I was completely and utterly blown away by it, easily one of the greatest game in experiences of my life and it was completely unexpected.

manueldelalas

Time Traveler
Not me personally, I never really liked SMW to be honest.

I always bought the local Nintendo magazine; and when the rumors of the Ultra 64 were coming, we saw the first footage of DKC; and I was like, FUCK, the future looks AWESOME!

Then I read it was on the Snes and my mind was blown; and when I learned the cartridge didn't use any special chip, I just couldn't take it any more, Rare were WIZARDS.

Those games still look good IMO, but that collision detection...

The only thing Super Mario World introduced me to was my dislike of Super Nintendo trumpet/horn sound that its Sony soundchip produces. Bleh.

Super Mario World was amazing...but by that time, I was already of the mindset that it would be amazing because it's Mario, and Nintendo made it.

The thing that blew my mind on SNES was Street Fighter 2. The idea that we could have something that actually looked and played like the real arcade game (after years of crappy NES "conversions" of arcade games) was holy shit-worthy to me. Big-ass sprites, all the moves, all the music, all the characters, mirror mode code...godlike in 1992.

...also, F-Zero because it was so ridiculously fast.

Dimmle

Super Mario World was pretty much the inciting incident (or vector or however you want to spin the metaphor) for my narrative with games. I don't think my taste palette in games or broader pop culture would be the same without it. I don't even know if I'd still be playing games if the first exposure hadn't been so powerful.

I remember Mario 3 being mind meltingly awesome. Mario world was a little underwhelming in contrast.

I remember being most impressed with the sound effects and music. It felt like entering another world.

Played it with my cousin in a marathon session when it came out. It was big yes, but it had no charm, no sense of wonder. By cramming the game with so much stuff, it was like they were doing a shock & awe campaign on children. It was impressive in a way, but I just didn't have much fun playing it. I'll take SMB2 any day over SMW.

Shion

SMB3 was more mind-blowing at the time of its release. Everything about it was grand and felt like a revelation, it was an insane leap over the original SMB in game design, scope and presentation.

The wow factor in SMW wasn't as big, but it was definitely there.
SMW > SMB3, though.

piratethingy

Self professed bad raider
Yup. As a young kid I didn't have access many videogames, and when I was five or six we stayed with some family friends during a trip. Their son had a SNES and let me play SMW basically all night and it was the most amazing thing I'd ever seen. Really the first videogame that I ever sat down to play for an extended period of time. Amazing graphics, sound, and it felt like the biggest game in the world.

Because if you have been to older threads like this theres like a huge nearly 50/50 division (number up numbre down) of people who love SMB3 and people who love SMW.
If you are surprised that there's so much love of SMW and was so mindblowing for them, im as surprised of how people say the find SMB3 so much better, with its 30 second courses, items that only have one simple use and shit if used any other way and repetitive stages and bosses. Maybe this surprises you, but coming from SMB2, SMB3 just felt bland.
SMW for me was amazing becuase it did all what SMB3 did but much better and then expanded it. With amazing graphics to boot.

I understand perfectly being mindblown by the 3D world of SM64 and the perfection of SMG though, but I always didvide the 2d itinerations from the 3D ones, they are different beasts.

Oh yeah I know people are divided on which is the better game and there's arguments to be made for both sides. I also remember some people being disappointed with SMB3 (no picking things up, no unique character mechanics) at the time, so that doesn't surprise me so much. But I'm mainly talking in terms of presentation and impact for the time SMW just didn't blow me away at all. It probably doesn't help that the first time I played the SMW it was set up next to a VR headset game that seemed so much more futuristic (even if it was terrible).

Maybe if I hadn't already played Green Hill Zone in Sonic 1 to death

now Super Mario 64 on the other hand...that was pretty wild in '96
That flythrough around Peach's castle in the opening blew my mind as a kid lol. Then you popped out onto bomb-omb battlefield, it was insane.
High five. I like SNES soundtracks in spite of the gross sound chip, not because of it.
They were samples (early ones at that)... its not really sound chip's fault. Starfox 1 and 2 have great horn samples. Not to mention Yoshi's Island, anything Donkey Kong, Chrono Trigger, Tales of Fantasia, and FF6. Those sounds destroyed any notion that the sound chip was incapable.

Ikaruga!

Neo Member
Yeah but thats because SMW was slow. Sonic was an action packed feast for the eyes. This is coming from a now Nintendo fan. Back then Nintendo fans were the enemy...

Sure Sonic played much faster, after all that was what the Genesis was all about. SMW was all about Exploration, something not many Games offered at that time in that scale... Something else blew my mind though, the Soundtrack of Sonic(or almost every other game at that time) couldn't match SMW in the slightest. I'm still wondering why Sega didn't build in a better Soundchip back then, it almost sounded like a NES and if I had to choose I'd rather listen to the SMB3 OST.

Daingurse

I don't understand how anyone could say this with a straight face.

I just listened to some of the SMW OST to try and see where he's coming from. I just can't relate guess, did not do anything for me. If I type in some shit like Chemical Plant Zone or Flying Battery Zone, then I feel something.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I didn't get an SNES at launch cause I had to save up allowance and trade in my NES for it. :( My first game SNES was Cybernator so I didn't experience the typical Mario hype. When I did finally play it I remember being pretty impressed.

Marceles

The best things about new games back then was they came out of absolutely nowhere. There wasn't daily coverage of games that were being released a year from then.

I remember seeing the Super Mario World commercial (the graphics cooler, the secrets darker, etc.) one night at my cousin's house, this one to be specific Super Mario World Commercial, and my cousin and I at like midnight literally popped up out of our beds at the same time saying "WHOA!". I had no idea there was a Super Nintendo coming out. And then almost back to back they showed the Link to the Past commercial with Link doing the Ether spell to open the temple.

Later on we went to Robinsons May (my god I feel old even typing that), and there was an SNES on top of a "big screen TV", and I put it in quotes because nowadays I'd laugh if I saw the TV now. It was a big ass CRT screen wrapped in wood, but back then it was like walking in and seeing a new 3D Bravia with a movie playing on it. The SNES had no controllers plugged in, just the Super Mario World intro replaying over and over. My mind just disintegrated that day.

I think the saddest thing about before owning an SNES was my mom got me the puzzle game Yoshi, and I was pretending that I had Mario World after I finished a level because Yoshi walks on screen and eats something when you finish a level lol.

I got my SNES with Street Fighter II and remember playing Mario World. I don't think my mind was blown that much with Yoshi until I ate a blue shell and he could fly. For some reason flying was the coolest thing ever in a game, so eating a blue shell and Mario's cape were insane to me. Even the illustrations in the manual of how to do Mario's moves were incredible.

super-nintendo-manual-do-super-mario-world-americano-3740-MLB4862351586_082013-F.jpg

lazygecko

Sure Sonic played much faster, after all that was what the Genesis was all about. SMW was all about Exploration, something not many Games offered at that time in that scale... Something else blew my mind though, the Soundtrack of Sonic(or almost every other game at that time) couldn't match SMW in the slightest. I'm still wondering why Sega didn't build in a better Soundchip back then, it almost sounded like a NES and if I had to choose I'd rather listen to the SMB3 OST.

Sega's sound chip is just fine. SMW is pretty minimalistic in terms of sound quality on the SNES (It is one of the earliest titles after all), and if anything the very short early wavetable style instruments that make up the music is closer to the NES than anything, since there's a total lack of natural movement and transient nuances in the sounds.

I mean, the most prominent instrument played in the soundtrack is what I suppose is meant to be a violin, but it sounds closer to a raw sawtooth waveform than anything.

Magnus

+1 to the OP

I still don't understand how it didn't handily unseat SMB3 in the entire gaming population's consciousness.

CTLance

It was the palette. Sure, the giant bullet bill and other assorted enemy sprites as well as other obvious improvements from the NES days were gosh-darn cool.

Still, the point that drove the next-gen-ness home and the point that made my eyes melt in amazement ... It was the vibrant colors on display in those screenshots (and the improved resolution/lack of sprite scrolling artefacts). This was way beyond anything the NES could handle even with elaborate hackery. Not even my beloved Snake Rattle n Roll could hold a candle to this smorgasbord of color and pixels.

(I was heads over heels into Columns for the same reason. Played like ass compared to Tetris if you asked little old me back then, but the primary colors made me want that game. So much.)

What can I say, I'm a sucker for primary colors and limited palettes. And pixels. Of a certain size. Peculiar taste, I know.

jts

...hate me...
How come SMB3 fans are still so delusional to this day. I pack them together with Sonic fans. And for a good reason too, because they probably jumped from the NES to the poor Genesis, hence the goddamn salt towards SMW.

At least you start to see the "generational" excuse, which is pretty much an admission of being wrong and that World is the superlative 2D Mario.

jblank83

The best things about new games back then was they came out of absolutely nowhere. There wasn't daily coverage of games that were being released a year from then.

I remember seeing the Super Mario World commercial (the graphics cooler, the secrets darker, etc.) one night at my cousin's house, this one to be specific Super Mario World Commercial, and my cousin and I at like midnight literally popped up out of our beds at the same time saying "WHOA!". I had no idea there was a Super Nintendo coming out. And then almost back to back they showed the Link to the Past commercial with Link doing the Ether spell to open the temple.

Later on we went to Robinsons May (my god I feel old even typing that), and there was an SNES on top of a "big screen TV", and I put it in quotes because nowadays I'd laugh if I saw the TV now. It was a big ass CRT screen wrapped in wood, but back then it was like walking in and seeing a new 3D Bravia with a movie playing on it. The SNES had no controllers plugged in, just the Super Mario World intro replaying over and over. My mind just disintegrated that day.

I think the saddest thing about before owning an SNES was my mom got me the puzzle game Yoshi, and I was pretending that I had Mario World after I finished a level because Yoshi walks on screen and eats something when you finish a level lol.

I got my SNES with Street Fighter II and remember playing Mario World. I don't think my mind was blown that much with Yoshi until I ate a blue shell and he could fly. For some reason flying was the coolest thing ever in a game, so eating a blue shell and Mario's cape were insane to me. Even the illustrations in the manual of how to do Mario's moves were incredible.

super-nintendo-manual-do-super-mario-world-americano-3740-MLB4862351586_082013-F.jpg

I like you. You're good people.

Top Bottom