• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...what is Halo to you?

moozoom

Halo ?

For me it's the game with the green motocross guy that came bundled with the X-box. I only bought the console to play Jet Set radio Future, and soon after it was modded and repurposed as a media player.

I played the first one, and I remember being surprised by the weird noises and voices the aliens made considering this was supposed to be the flagship title of the hardcore mature console. The campaign was ok I guess, except the abominable controls for the vehicle(s). The end sequence was a chore with those controls and I hated it.

spootime

You can disagree as much as you like and you'd still be wrong.

Ignoring literal facts just shows your bias honestly.

If it doesn't feel like halo to people then it doesn't feel like Halo. You can write as many paragraphs as you like but some people don't enjoy the "evolution" in mechanics from halo 2-3 to halo 5. Nothing wrong with that.

Halo is a series of fond memories on the Xbox, playing with friends, playing online, meeting new friends. Halo is the original game with its iconic locations and chapter titles. It was just short of magic as far as stories in FPS games go with many of the most memorable FPS characters in gaming. It was genre-defining gunplay, controls and multiplayer features for a game, console or PC (those website integration features in the mid 2000s was hella impressive).

Halo 2 resides on the pantheon of the greatest multiplayer FPS gaming experiences of all time.

But to be honest? Halo ain't shit to me anymore. It's all past glories. Everything since ODST has largely been a forgettable experience, with MP gameplay bing trumped long ago by competing titles. I think I buried Halo in my gaming life long ago and it feels bad because I sank so many hours into the franchise. But man when I burned out, it was all over. I tried to get into Halo 5 and the HD remakes, but nah. Halo is dead to me. Long shall her memories survive, though.

jem0208

If it doesn't feel like halo to people then it doesn't feel like Halo. You can write as many paragraphs as you like but some people don't enjoy the "evolution" in mechanics from halo 2-3 to halo 5. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm talking about ADS as a mechanic. This has nothing to do with subjective aspects such as "feel". We can discuss mechanics in an objective way and H5's implementation of ADS is objectively completely different to CoD.

People are free to dislike Halo 5 for whatever reason, I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that. I'm saying the reason they dislike H5 is not because it's similar to CoD, even if they think it is.

PnCIa

A fantastic singleplayer campaign with semi-open levels and ground-breaking AI in a simple yet interesting setting and story. High replayability. Coop, customization and good graphics. Vehicles. Simple yet rewarding gameplay that encourages maximizing utilization of what you have at your disposal.
A game that clearly focuses on the "game" aspect and does not try to be as cinematic as possible.

So many Ponies in here with comments like, *dead / irrelevant.

80K vierwers on Twitch lastnight suggest otherwise, SonyGaf
A lot of the people no longer feeling it made that decision after continued purchases and TRYING to get back into it.

But with the name calling you're doing.....???

Probably shouldn't have responded

blinkz

I watched a bit of the championship over the weekend.. The game seems more fun when I'm watching instead of when I'm playing.. I think the only way to get me back into halo would be H3A.

There are far too many quality options in the console FPS genre now compared to when halo was in its "prime".

I lived and breathed halo 1-3

My fondest memories of the Halo franchise all involve split-screen. If you add everything up since Halo 2 I've probably spent 1000s of hours doing online multiplayer, but the really amazing times I've had with the series were in local co-op and multiplayer. In the Halo 1 and 2 days I remember cramming like eight of my friends into my living room to play free for all slayer--winner stays, the rest rotate. The day Halo 3 came out me and a friend binged through the game in one huge co-op session. Then in college I played tons of split screen firefight with ODST and Reach.

Kalentan

Halo 5 not only feels like Halo but it feels better.

Ten_Fold

Halo 2 and 3 were my favorite fps games to play, I actually wanted to become pro level at one point but once ODST and halo 4 dropped I just lost interest in the series as a whole.

Thousands of hours of my life, and a franchise that just isn't enjoyable to me anymore. The original trilogy are still some of my favorite games, especially 3. Such a shame about the MCC.

Shikoba

Something I enjoyed on the original Xbox due to slit screen multiplayer with friends. Not a series I care about much anymore however.

ZZMitch

Probably my most played gaming franchise... I also haven't played a Halo game in about 5 years.

Great memories though.

LUXURY

A game that brought me and my brother closer as well as friends. It's too bad the game changed for the worst to me.

Coxy100

Banned
Huge open vistas, incredible music, fun vehicular combat, smart and challenging gunplay/AI.

And Chief and Cortana.

I guess some people like to play online with it.

The perfect answer.

Never been that bothered about the multiplayer in it - I played it for the reasons above.

The music with Chief and Cortana are key.

Splitscreen multiplayer, basically. Never cared much for the campaigns or the story.

Even if Halo goes back to having splitscreen I probably still won't come back, though. In high school and college there were always tons of people to play with, but at the moment I don't have many friends I game with in person on a regular basis.

It's a great memory of something that's definitely lost (thank God for the remasters, hopefully Halo Reach makes it in sometimes soon).

So much potential wasted in the recent handling of the franchise.

But, Halo 3 (+odst and mostly Firefight) 4 players coop still is one of the greatest gaming experiences you can have.

Halo is the game that made me fall in love with Xbox. It felt so big, with so many mysteries, so much potential for exploring.

The thing that solidified this was the music. Holy crap, Marty O'Donnell and Michael Salvatori made Halo so much better.

The covenant conflict and story in 2 and 3 were what hooked me into the series.

I still liked 4, but 5 just... didn't feel right. I still feel burned by 5. Lack of story, lack of cohesion with previous titles, the twist that was predicted... ugh.

A series I used to love, and had shit tons of fun with lan parties with my friends. Now it's basically dead, and something I couldn't give a shit about.

Unity2012

The best console shooter of all time with a nice return to form for multiplayer in Halo 5.

THIS.

Halo Combat Evolved opened up the FPS world to me. The single player had a fantastic mix of exploration, light humor and challenging situations. The MP continues to deliver to date.

jstripes

Banned
Halo changed gaming culture, and not exactly for the better from my point of view. It was like a turning point that's very hard to describe with words.

Izayoi

Banned
I'm sorry, but clamber and iron sights are fucking stupid and have absolutely no place in a Halo game. Even sprint is pushing it, in my opinion. The plodding, methodical pace was a big part of what made the original trilogy so damn good.

At this point, I'd rather they just release Halo 1, 2, and 3 (separately) on Steam with full modding/workshop support. Those games can live forever on PC and then I won't have to worry about what nonsense direction 343 is taking Halo in.
Weren't there strong rumors that this was going to happen at some point? Whatever happened to that? I guess Microsoft has decided to toss the baby with the bathwater, which is a crying shame if you ask me.

Mihos

Gold Member
A game I couldn't play because it made me motion sick

I still own them all for some reason, though.

I loved the original Halo and because it was such an open game I replayed it more than any thing at the time. Also 4 player split screen was so good. I had a 61 inch Sony rear projection and it was glorious.

One thing I liked about Halo was the ability to play the game so many ways. Want to kill every enemy go ahead(no infinite spawns COD). Want to run past everything? Go for it. I tried playing through Gears of War and after the 3rd or 4th forced gunfight I quit. I just didn't like sitting in a locked arena killing waves and waves of baddies only to die near the end and do it all over again. Co-op high jinks were great. Playing around with physics was great. Getting vehicles into places they probably really didn't intend...great.

I don't want to take the time now, but I remember a ton of videos of people abusing the physics in the game. They launched Warthogs across the map, on top of spires, and found ways to ride Warthogs and other vehicles as they launched them to reach places that were normally unreachable.

Pizza

Halo mostly died for me after 2. Reach ruined it. The first was a cool open game where you were a Rambo type behind enemy lines using absolutely everything at your disposal. It was sweet and corny like a B movie and I loved it

The second fleshed out the covenant, making them more like a Star Wars space opera faction but left the UNSC as b movie marines. I loooved that fucking contrast. I liked all the books around that point too.

So for me, the humans are b movie marines

The covenant are very serious grimdark religious fanatics

The forerunners are long dead, with dormand shot left around

The flood were the precursors from way beforehand, back for revenge.

Halo 3 sucks as a sequel you play halo 2 beforehand, imo. The gameplay is there, it's arguably the best in the series, but the story was always the biggest draw for me.

ODST is fire

Reach was horse shit. The Spartan 3s aren't anything like the books, shoved into a completely ruined version of the reach story. Noble team are the most special snowflake characters in halo and Idk, they blow. Also this is where the gameplay got fucked, and the aesthetics

With 4, 343 doubled down on reach, while trying to fix some stuff about it. They doubled down on the art style too, mostly for the worse. The story wasn't the best, but I liked it. Multiplayer was shit, imo. Spartan ops isn't worth mentioning

5 had a god awful story. Spartan ops guy wrote it? Not surprised. The gameplay was the first time I felt like the stuff added in reach actually melded with the game in a way that wasn't "halo 3 with shit tacked on top." Forge is supposed to be good? I wish some armor (other than the Mcc one) was linked to achievements.

I have some hope for six, because 4 and 5 set up a really fucking cool halo universe if you water the down to bullet points. Needs Eric nylund tho

Halo wars 1 was sick, halo wars 2 was sicker. I felt like HW2 has the best "halo" story since 2. It's the first game in a long ass time that the audiovisual experience was undoubtedly Halo. Some of the cooler shit from the books happened in a game for the first time, and not shit like "master chief is the ISO didact"

I'm sorry, but clamber and iron sights are fucking stupid and have absolutely no place in a Halo game. Even sprint is pushing it, in my opinion. The plodding, methodical pace was a big part of what made the original trilogy so damn good.

Weren't there strong rumors that this was going to happen at some point? Whatever happened to that? I guess Microsoft has decided to toss the baby with the bathwater, which is a crying shame if you ask me.

MCC happened

High school LAN parties.
Came for this. Stayed for the incredible single player.

343i hasn't been able to capture the magic of the large open battlefields that Bungie perfected. The original trilogy felt more "sandboxy" while 4 and 5 feel more linear and scripted.

Ensoul

Halo 1-Playing a Lan party on Christmas eve with my cousin and having an absolute blast.

Halo 2. Absolutely loved this game as well. I remember the night I bought it had the next few days off of work and played it just about non stop. Had a great time playing it the next several months.

Halo 3 was decent. Nowhere as good as 1 or 2.

Reach, halo 4. Forgettable games.

Halo 5. Game sucked and I made a stupid decision buying an Xbox one for this. The new mode was stupid (I don't even remember what it was called) and the maps and MP were awful. What a disappointment.

I guess more bad than good. Halo really has not been fun for me for 10 years.

Pandy

A series that should have ended decently with Halo 3, the game that had the best combo of campaign and multi-player. Everything after that was a mistake.

I used to really be engrossed into the story, lore, and art - but the recent titles have lost their allure. Fingers crossed 343 recaptures the magic that Bungie brought with 1-3/ODST.

Now it's mainly a MP title for me - and again, while I don't love the new stylistic changes, it's still my favorite shooter out there.

jem0208

Sprint has faaaaar bigger effects and implications than clamber.

And as I explained previously ads has pretty much fuck all effect on the gameplay.

Dead.

Loved the original trilogy and ODST though.

Pretty much this. Don't care as much for ODST and Reach but I did have fun with them. Halo 4 felt too different for me to care. Game was a ton of fun and I will always cherish my younger days with this game and all the couch co-oping and LAN parties that were had.

Top Bottom