• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...what is Halo to you?

massoluk

Banned
Some ok fps game I played on the PC that didn't come close to NOLF2 in single player or COD:UO on multiplayer.

Edit: Granted PC port came pretty late and Halo was released years before the two games.

I was hyped for the latest halo, but it was just terrible and didn't give me any of the fun vibes I had with 3 and even 4. Hated that req system and the awful BTB maps

Easily top 5 franchises. Nothing beats the OG trilogy but 343 has done well with the multiplayer even if they're taking the story nowhere near interesting.

Havoc2049

Halo was a great epic sci-fi FPS romp with great gameplay, level design, memorable characters and epic music. The multiplayer from 2v2 to BTB was also a blast and was a great time with friends, via lan and online, both casually and competitively.

These days, everything outside of 4v4 multiplayer on small and a few mid sized maps is pretty abysmal. The campaign in Halo 5 is in the below average range for the FPS genre. Sad too, because the basis of a great story and game is there, but 343 just can't get the job done in game. The opening scene in Halo 5 where Spartans are running down the face of a mountain at like 75 mph and taking out Elites with a flick of the wrist and smashing vehicles and boulders with a single punch and throwing out a bunch of corny lines is cringe worthy and the game never recovers. All the characters that I used to love from the previous games and the books are just plain forgettable in Halo 5.

lumzi23

For me it is the very first game. Halo: Combat Evolved.

Wide open areas. A great sense of awe and mystery. Full of wit and cleverness. It is very macho and full of military terminology. In a lot of ways it feels like Battlestar Galactica especially with some of the religious stuff embedded in it. It is also quite old feeling with all this stuff about ancient forerunners and such.

Other things are clever AI, great sound and great standard setting gameplay/design.

Monocle

To me Halo is everything the original campaign was. Grand transporting music, adventuring through exotic alien megastructures, gameplay that feels just right, endlessly replayable levels that let you have just as much fun finding alternate routes and messing around as fighting straight through from beginning to end, quirky humor, amusing and distinctive alien voices, the Chief and Cortana's banter... It all comes together as something really special that constantly draws me back in. There are so many ways to play in that sandbox, so many opportunities for novelty in spaces and encounters you've seen dozens and dozens of times.

As a huge campaign buff I currently rank the games: 1 > ODST > 3 > 5 = 2 > Reach > 4.

For me Halo 5 was a (partial) return to form after 4 nearly derailed the whole thing with its many annoying gameplay changes, along with the subpar visual style and score. 5 fixed just about all of 4's issues and substantially improved on Halo's base gameplay without losing its essence, with the best additions to the series' mechanics since Halo 2.

At one point I considered it the greatest video game franchise ever. I devoted several hours almost every evening or weekend for about 6 years. I replayed 1,3, ODST, and Reach's sp countless times. Halo 4 completely changed that. If I ever get an Xbox One I'd like to see if 5 could rekindle my love for Halo.

mhi

1. Lockout
  2. Matchmaking
  3. Emblems
  4. Clan Matches
  5. Big Team Battle
  6. ELO Based Rankings
  7. Proximity Chat
  8. Pre-Game Lobbies

Gorillaz

briUEud.png
idk if his has been covered but

is halo ded

levyjl1988

Banned
Good for its time.
I spent upwards of 500 hours invested in the series and more altogether as a franchise.

Game design has evolved to be more fluid and acrobatic however. Story became more convoluted as more iterations entered.

I moved on to other games however.

Monocle

Good for its time.
I spent upwards of 500 hours invested in the series and more altogether as a franchise.

Game design has evolved to be more fluid and acrobatic however. Story became more convoluted as more iterations entered.

I moved on to other games however.
The very first game's mechanics still hold up so well. That said, they are slightly clunky compared to Halo 5's super fluid gameplay.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
I used to be really into Halo a few years ago during the Reach/4 era. Halo was the reason I signed up for GAF and when I got in I posted almost exclusively in HaloGAF for quite some time.

Halo wasn't just the game, it was its community. Bungie knew how to foster a community around the game (and I'm assuming they still do judging by the sheer number of threads DestinyGAF goes through). Instead of getting an Xbox One, I went into PC gaming instead, but for a while I would still lurk in HaloGAF, and it was pretty disheartening to see the game's slow decline.

Without Halo, I probably wouldn't have joined GAF, and I sometimes wonder what I would be like if I hadn't joined GAF and started hanging out on Reddit or something. GAF is one of the few gaming communities that doesn't actively encourage being an edgy shitlord, so maybe that rubbed off on me. It's interesting to think about how a game could have had such a big impact on me.

Halo is... The only console fps I can endure playing with a gamepad. Destiny too, but for obvious reasons.

Nowadays, a walking corpse reanimated by the voodoo of Microsoft once Bungie moved on. Halo in name only.

J@hranimo

Banned
A former heavyweight seller and phenomenon that now sells on par with Splatoon.

Lmao, I didn't expect to see this type of post.

Halo was getting into the game franchise in late Halo 2 days and desperately trying to find a friend to play the Halo 3 Beta with lol.

Later it became weekend online games of CTF, Team Doubles, Neutral Bomb Assault and later GRIFBALL in Halo 3, Reach and 4. In the meantime I went back and played Halo CE and Halo 2 campaign (I got my own 360 between 3 and Reach).

So all in all I'd say 50% Singleplayer and 50% Multiplayer. It's too bad I didn't get into Halo during the CE LAN party days...

I know I replied with a snarky comment but I wanted to post something serious about Halo. Bungies' run from 2001-2010 was some masterful stuff. Their game series was so good it legitimized Xbox as a console and ended with laying the groundwork for their next smash hit in Destiny. They found a way to stretch those 30 seconds of fun for 9 years and I have nothing but love and respect for what they brought to the table. I'll echo what I read earlier in this thread: I'm not a Halo fan, I'm a Bungie fan.

mrlion

Honestly to me it was synonymous of crappy console FPSs. I know I might get the boot for saying that but I never liked Halo...ever...the only decent one was Halo 2 and by then I was eh about it. At the time I was playing CS and I always thought it was much superior to Halo and it got better from there including CS 1.6.

When I saw the pictures of the World Championships I was just glad that the series is finally dying but I do hope it has a proper resting place because at least it brought some interest back for FPSs, especially during the wake of the "PC is dying" crowd.

Edit: This is coming from a hardcore Bungie fan of the 90s with the Myth and the Marathon series.

Kikorin

I loved Halo 3, played so much in single and coop. I also liked ODST and Reach, than I started feeling less hyped for the series with Halo 4.

I've still not bought Halo 5 but I've zero hype about it and I don't know if I'll ever try.

For a few years of my life Halo was my life, I joined clans, made friends, created memories that I will never forget. The Halo community pre-i343 was the best community I have ever been apart of but with that being said from Reach onwards the games we've been getting are not Halo, they're not exciting like the old Halo games used to be, they feel like shameless cash grabs.

I still remember opening up my Xbox 360 on Christmas day, hoping to god my family had bought me Halo 3 and the absolute excitement I had taking that disc out of the case and putting it into my 360.

Halo 3 effectively ruined gaming for me as nothing has ever came close.

A fun and satisfying FPS that I can kick back with on a weekend with friends and play for hours without getting bored.

I honestly feel Halo 5's focus on Ranked playlists and complete disregard for custom games and Forge at launch was one of the biggest mistakes 343i's made regarding the entire series. And that includes any of the expanded universe fuck-ups they've made (and those are plentiful).

As it stands, Halo 5 is one of the best Halo games ever made. But it wasn't that way at launch, and there's so much lost potential. The game could've been huge, but instead it came and went for a lot of people.

I've got close friends who were hyped as hell for Halo 5, and wound up putting it down within a month because Warzone didn't do it for them, Ranked Arena was too stressful and competitive (and with a skill divide between us, we couldn't play together or we'd derank), and Warzone was either too random or had too many pubstomping teams.

BTB was the last straw for a lot of friends that stuck around past the initial launch woes. And the focus on battle rifle starts (on maps made by community members for magnum starts) left a sour taste in the mouths of dedicated players like myself.

In the end, I adore Halo 5. I unlocked every REQ and played the game for hours. But while the missed potential was recouped post-launch, that doesn't mean the people who left disappointed suddenly came back.

idk if his has been covered but

is halo ded

Overflow tent.

psyfi

Banned
I know I replied with a snarky comment but I wanted to post something serious about Halo. Bungies' run from 2001-2010 was some masterful stuff. Their game series was so good it legitimized Xbox as a console and ended with laying the groundwork for their next smash hit in Destiny. They found a way to stretch those 30 seconds of fun for 9 years and I have nothing but love and respect for what they brought to the table. I'll echo what I read earlier in this thread: I'm not a Halo fan, I'm a Bungie fan.
Bungie has only gotten worse over time. Like really, every game they've made since Halo 2 has been worse than the one before it. Reach and Destiny have solidified their games as "let's see how this pans out" purchases in the future. I have little faith in them.

But hell, I said the same thing about 343 and they totally won me over with Halo 5. That's a far less likely miracle.

Acidote

The game that made me accept shooters on console. It was good enough to make me forgive gamepad aiming.
A game I had to play because I liked Marathon. I was lucky my brother wanted to buy an Xbox for it and PGR.

And Halo 3 was for me like "Coop: The Game".

A series that went from being one of the most important to least important to me. Loved 1-3, didn't enjoy anything after nearly as much. 1 was all about the LAN parties, 2 was my first real online console experience, and 3 closed the loop with a thrilling ending that I fortunately got to play with three very good friends.

pieface

Halo to me has always been Big Team Battle, playing CTF and Assault on huge maps.

343 completely neglected this side of the game in H5. Was absolutely rubbish.

To me that's always been what Halo was about, I know it was for so many others too, was gobsmacked when they didn't make any dev made BTB maps, and removed assault completely.

Triteon

It was a great Co-op series with pretty fun multiplayer. The shooting was pretty great.

I always found the story to be a bit meandering.

I haven't played one since Reach though. So my opinions are at least 6 years out of date.

Mr.Fox

Some game other people like, but I tried and never felt it was as big of a deal as the community acted like it was. I always had the impression the game was overrated because it was the only iconic exclusive Xbox had from the start, so fans latched to it, and it is revered more as a tradition than anything else.

I do believe it was probably genuinely impressive at some point (maybe the first games), and had it's share of importance for bringing/popularizing some innovations that became the norm for the industry, but I never saw it for myself, it never impressed me.

jeemer

halo is the game that made console gamers care about online fps, but i was already a pc gamer with a few online fps under my belt at the time. halo has never done anything for me but i have some friends who get very nostalgic for it.

Never really been much on Halo

Picked up Reach when I bought an 360 halfway through the last gen to see what the fuss was all about, back when COD wasn't completely stale and it seemed so old fashioned, like unreal or something. Pew, pew, pew! Campaign didn't do anything for me either.

I'm not saying it was bad but it just didn't click with me.

Betty

Banned
A once fun series with a wasted story/campaign mode that was still fun in co-op and had fantastic, addictive multiplayer until Reach onwards.

343i have since ruined it with the MCC blunder, the lacklusture new enemies, relying WAY, WAY, WAAAAAAAAAAAAY too much on Cortana to drive the narrative, Call of Dutying the multiplayer into a former shadow of itself, on and on.

They had the chance to roadmap a whole new trilogy and from day 1 they blew it.

Doubt the franchise will recover in their hands.

SomTervo

Halo: CE and the Silent Cartographer. Every other Halo game has disappointed me, becoming more gated and 'linear' as well as bloated in terms of weapons/mechanics. The original is an elegantly designed and simple-but-meaty first-person-shooter that captures the "marine vs aliens" experience perfectly.

- heavy feel
- slower, more strategic combat
- open sandbox based gameplay (no corridors and no blatant/repeated gating - i.e. the Silent Cartographer)

Basically, the Silent Cartographer, IMO, is what made it famous and almost entirely defined the series early on, and the game's mechanics were perfectly designed for that. No other level (in Halo CE or since) has captured precisely why the Silent Cartographer was so great and such a milestone.

Honestly, I'm still waiting for Halo 2. A simple sandbox-based sci-fi warfare game where every level is a large open sandbox.

Halo 2 revolutionised multiplayer games and deserves utmost respect for that - but it's not what Halo is, to me.

_Nemo

Halo CE is Halo
Halo 2 is Halo
Halo 3 is Halo

Anything beyond is just gutter trash. I hate how it's adopted so many of CoD mechanics.

Peltz

Halo 1-3 + ODST were all phenomenal single player experiences with varyingly great multiplayer as well.

Reach came out with invincible CPU-controled AI support characters and it sort of ruined the experience for me. Multiplayer was still good though.

Then Halo 4 came out, and it felt like the sandbox-nature of the game was gone. It was very linear. I still thought the multiplayer was great though. I didn't like the COD elements being thrown in, but it didn't destroy what made Halo multiplayer fun imo.

Still, the single player was very disappointing. I haven't played Halo 5 yet, but I plan to give it a chance if I ever grab an Xbox One or a Scorpio.

KOHIPEET

Halo 1 is playing SP at an average 20 fps on my crappy PC.
Halo 2 is playing MP with Xboxconnect (bypassing Xbox Live).

Played only a bit of the third, but I don't like it that much.

The rest are mediocre at best.

A husk.
A new halo game back in the day was an enormous event, I still remember around the time halo 3 was launching that a news station I was watching talked about the midnight launch is going to be one of the biggest of all time. With every new halo game released the less I care for it personally, I hope it finds magic again someday.

Fred-87

1) atmosphere + soundtrack + graphics style

2) Having had unique gameplay. Not just another shooter it was. Untill it started to become like other shooters after halo 3

MysteryM

Basically. It was cool to have split screen and some other features 15 years ago, but it should have died or rebooted years ago.

The enemies and weapons are just too dumb to consider an adult fps.

Absolutely ridiculous statement, the halo AI was ground breaking, and playing through levels like the tsavo highway in halo 3 with enemies flanking all over the place were a sight to behold.

J-Roderton

The reason I bought a 360. Playing 1-3 was just the best thing. So bitter about how it all turned out from Reach to now.

KainXVIII

Some ok fps game I played on the PC that didn't come close to NOLF2 in single player or COD:UO on multiplayer.

Edit: Granted PC port came pretty late and Halo was released years before the two games.

Yeah, i love first game on pc, but still don't understand hype about rest of the series.

Isurus

1) Fun game series that firmly established the FPS genre on consoles, which may other series have been trying to emulate and iterate off of ever since (and some very successfully)

2) Fucking polarizing game on GAF that seems to bring out hate like no other

Top Bottom