• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...what is Halo to you?

An arena based shooter with a very high skillgap, sadly this concept got dropped right after CE and hasnt been picked up again since then :/

sam777

Like the comment above, Halo always brings a great time with friends whether that is by co-op campaign or multiplayer.

marciocdb

Banned
When it lauched : "OMG this lore is amazing... what is that ring across the planet??"

Now: "Pew, pew, pew, duck and cover, pew, pew, pew...."

The slower gameplay, the great Artstyle, awesome music produced by Marty O'Donnell and the mysterious Story around the Forerunners made Halo, Halo to me.

Cant stand its current direction.

Flipyap

Halo is the way this dude moves:

mwhcIYF.gif

Finely tuned and addictive multiplayer. Halo 2, 3 and 5 ranking systems are the best around which made teams pretty even and therefore competitive. Ttk is ideal for an arena shooter, that mixed with no-frill gameplay make kills and deaths almost always feel fair, minimizing cognitive dissonance that I feel in so many shooters these days. Can't wait for 6.

Oh, and the best grenades in the biz.

scoobs

Can we just go back to MC and Cortana taking on the Covenant and the Flood and trying to save humanity? Is it too much to ask to forget about all this dumb forerunner/weird robot badguy dudes? I have zero interest in ever shooting one of those things ever again.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman
For me is halo combat evolved. Big areas with vehicles and shooter levels with a great soundtrack.Halo 3 did it too.

KillySG10

Neo Member
A game i never played on a console i never owned. I seriously wish they'd release the MC collection or something on PC, so i could give the games a shot.

Nothing against Xbox/360 btw, i just never had either.

A game that defined console FPS online mutliplayer.

It'll always have a special place in my heart. Halo 5 is one of the best multiplayer games out there, sad that it'll always be plagued by terrible single player.

I'm hoping 343i knocks Halo 6 out the park on Scorpio.

depward

Halo is the only fps I can say I'm not terrible at.

It has been a highlight of my gaming hobby. Back on Halo 1, playing LAN in college.

Halo 2 with it's XBL mp implementation.

Halo 3 where the launch event was seriously out of control. And where the story played brilliantly.

Halo 4 and 5 were there... But harder for memorable moments, as life was hitting fast.

I've played every campaign co-op with my brother. It's something I always look forward to.

A fun time with friends, specifically local, custom games, and co-op.

Never really cared for the story, campaigns were hit or miss (with the best ones being ODST and Reach's).

Multiplayer was fun, but usually with friends, not really by yourself.

Halo 3 custom games was the peak of the series for me.

EhoaVash

only halo i played is halo 2 multiplayer for a few minutes

so halo is riding that vehicle and not knowing what to do with itt.

It's my favorite coop experience, and my favorite online FPS. My go-to.

Nothing compares... And while I'm not thrilled about the direction it's going on, I'm still in love with the series.

Halo is the greatest multiplayer experience I have ever had on a console. Nothing else will ever come close. Is it past its prime? Possibly, but Halo 5 is a big step in righting the ship. You can pretty much say any game is past its prime that has been out for a long time. Mario kart, Smash Bros, Zelda, Call of Duty, Battlefield, Battlefront, GTA, Final Fantasy, bla bla bla. Though all it takes is one good entry in any series to be relevant again.

Aaron

A series that had an amazing run for the first three installments... then meh. Never played Halo 5 and have no interest in doing so. 343 don't seem to understand the story and set pieces that drove the first three games.

Halo was incredible. It was a very special unique IP that came with a sense of atmosphere I had not seen ever before. Halo was carried massively by its unusual design aesthetics (colorful almost "cute" aliens", bright palettes), it's music (a mix of tribal and holistic religious). It had an impressive co-op mode, an incredible A.I that I have yet to this day, not seen anything like.

It featured some of the best levels I have ever seen in a video game, and thanks to the AI I replayed my favorite levels many many times.

Halo to me, was abusing the lan system to play online with XboxConnect. It was a wonderful broken experience.

Halos lore and mythology was very interesting in how non-explanatory it was. You got a sense they tried to build something mysterious. The lack of deeper narraive direction served Halo and made the influences it had to things like other science fiction novels and movies, stand out as a good thing.

The low gravity was unusual. It's floaty arcade style gameplay was mixed with some unusual strategic elements like two-weapon swaps which was something you only saw in games like operation flashpoint and ghost recon. The Warthog jeep handled unlike anything I had ever seen before, it was bizarre and wonderful that the "starter pistol" was balanced to be as powerful as the later game weapons. the rechargeable health was also unusual.
When you go down the list of things you see in FPS today, you can credit Halo for a lot of it. So much of what made it revolutionary at the time, became the foundation for how first person shooters could operate on consoles. Goldeneye and Perfect Dark were loved, but there always was a sense that the N64 controller was an accuired compromise. The dual analog trigger design hadn't been done succesfully before Halo.

Halo, is also the one game that Sony never really managed to 1up- Both on PS2 and PS3 you had many attempts by different devs to make a compelling FPS, but nothing really came close.

Halo reminds me of my late teens. I was already a fan. My stepdad had introduced me to Marathon, so I was part of the small but incredible Bungie-Net community; which was very special. I was there when Halo got turned into an Xbox exclusive (total meltdown and anger towards Microsoft), I was there when Xbox Live was delayed and the game and Halo would ship without Online at all. Weirdly enough, being part of a gaming community like Bungie in the late 90s was different from today. Also because Bungie was a Mac developer who was noticed and presented by Jobs himself. We were many who had the opinion that Marathon was way more interesting than Doom.

I was many years on TeamXbox later, and I remember that Half-Life 2 overshadowed Halo 2 significantly. Halo 2 had an incredible emotional and beautiful announcement trailer, but the following e3, Half-Life 2 had a revolutionary gameplay presentation of the game and the source engine. HL2 was such a large forward technically.
Despite this, I was way more fascinated with the lore and mythos of Halo than I was with Gordon Freeman and that story. The dystopian world of Half-Life didn't mean that much to me, even though it was a technically superior game and used shadows and dynamic physics in a way that was not seen before.

Halo 3 was the last Halo game I played, and that was enough. I was ready to move on. After playing games on PC like Battlefield 2 with 64 players and CS Source, I just couldn't go back to Xbox Live and 16 player p2p garbage. So I moved past Halo. Because of Xbox Live.

I remember loving Halo 3. I thought it was really great and superior in campaign to Halo 2. I was very happy that it was a massive success, but Halo had completely changed along with the core fanbase. Suddenly there was toys, comics and all sorts of other things. As I got older I felt a bit out of touch with the franchise, and I think a lot of older Bungie fans felt that as well.

depths20XX

FPS game that was fun during the first 3 games but got dragged on too long. Focusing on console meant they could never garner the multiplayer community that PC games get.

It's hard for me to articulate how I feel about Halo, but it's a franchise that's very special to me. It's a franchise that I played a lot in my teen years and loved a lot. And although - depending on how you look at each title - none of them were were perfect, they all had a magical feeling to them that made me want to work in the game industry when I was younger. I feel like its lost a lot of that magic once 343i took over, not because they're incompetent or bad game developers, but because they haven't been able to recreate that feeling that made Halo so special. It's really lost its way over the years because of how it's desperately trying to keep up with a market that has moved beyond what Halo is, trying to regain its former glory by adopting as many genre standards as it can fit in while also trying to make use of the vast lore that the Bungie era spawned. Halo 4 seem to try to create a middle ground by appealing to the older audience through attention to the expanded universe, and attract a new audience by reshaping Halo's multiplayer into something more conventional and similar to other popular shooters on the market. That clearly didn't work, and while Halo 5 tried to tone it down a bit by trying to incorporate the core of what made Halo work back when it was popular, but all that succeeded in was making the multiplayer feel like a spiritual successor and the story a complete mess. While I think Halo 5's forge and custom games is helping bring back some of that magic, I think the franchise is too past its prime and nothing will ever come as close to matching what Bungie's games were to me.

An enjoyable first game that took itself too seriously in subsequent games and got its head up its own arse in its own 'mythology' (LOL) with an extreme toxic MP fanbase. I mean the halo fanbase practically invented teabagging.

Also, please let poor master chief and the 'world of halo' (whatever that means) a rest. Even its own original creators were tired of it.

The Giant

Banned
Absolutely nothing. I played the 1st game back in 2002, found it shit and never looked back.

The fact Microsoft made it a yearly franchise and seeing a Halo game at every E3, just makes it so boring.

Halo 1 and 2 are my favorite two games. Different games but both incredible.

Halo 3 expanded on Halo 2 in a lot of great ways but slightly slower movement, not as excellent map design, and a BR spread made the multiplayer not feel as rewarding as Halo 2.

These three games have yet to be matched.

ODST was an incredible expansion. Reach is a love/hate relationship for me w/ the armor abilities and bloom-but at the end of the day it is still an excellent game.

I don't like what happened to the series lore and single player post Reach. They did not present a story like Bungie did. On the multiplayer front, Halo 4 was terrible. Halo 5 has a fun multiplayer but it is not fun in the same way that Halo 1-3 were fun; still doesn't feel like Halo.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
A game that helped define console shooters. It was a phenomenon that got millions of people to play online.

Master+chief+is+dead+long+live+the+chief+trigger+medium_c06dbf_6218202.jpg

It has rag doll physics, easy to use controls, and addictive multiplayer. The campaign was huge, lots of enjoyable moments, and lots of build up.

Shooters were popular already, but Halo sorta brought it to home consoles if you ask me.

Granted those feelings are now memories and there's a lot of players who just quit.

I owned an Xbox at launch. I had Halo. I fell in with the crowd.

Edit: I had Goldeneye on N64 at launch too. I'm aware of the genre way before Halo. But we also didn't have Xbox Live during those years.

Top Bottom