• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So what's next for the Switch iteration?

Based on some quick calculations (don't have on hand to measure), the Tablet including bezel is ~7.7" diagonally. It might be possible to hit 7" on the screen if the bezels are shrunk considerably, but that might be too optimistic considering the Joycons need to attach.

Even so, that would be nice for an XL revision that could still maintain full joycon and dock compatibility.
I personally don't think we need to make the switch any bigger than it is, unless you go full out tablet and do it 10.5 to 13 inches diagonally. Not sure how I feel about, but its important to note that the current screen fits just right with the dock. If we had the screen to be any bigger, nintendo would need to make a bigger dock included..

I personally don't think we need to make the switch any bigger than it is, unless you go full out tablet and do it 10.5 to 13 inches diagonally. Not sure how I feel about, but its important to note that the current screen fits just right with the dock. If we had the screen to be any bigger, nintendo would need to make a bigger dock included..

The Switch tablet has very large bezels, which could be shrunk to accomodate a larger screen while maintaining the same external dimensions. That's what I'm referring to by "Switch XL", but since the overall dimensions would be the same perhaps another name would be better, like "Switch Plus".

I'm operating under the assumption that at least initially, for a revision they will want to keep all accessories compatible (except maybe screen protectors). All the same docks, joycons and cases would work with this approach. Any revision that makes the overall dimensions larger will cause existing joycons to either not work, or look goofy as fuck. Any revision that shrinks dimensions, including thickness, will make both joycons and the dock incompatible.

To reiterate, here's a pretty modest take on what they could offer under the approach I'm outlining:

• Lighter console
  • Vastly improved kickstand, possibly similar to the Surface Pro range
  • Larger screen thanks to reduced bezel
  • Some future Tegra revision on a smaller process node offering both increased power and also reduced power draw
  • Shrunk internals but constant chassis size allows for a physically larger battery

If you want to get a bit more fancy, you could also suggest Variable Refresh Rate support (both for the Switch screen and via HDMI 2.1 for TVs too), Wide colour gamut / HDR support (I'm unsure of whether or not this is possible/plausible for the internal screen) and possibly an OLED screen.

Reduced bezel means sacrificing durability (maybe this doesn't apply bc it's a plastic screen) and somewhat breaking compatibility with games that display 720p at that size in handheld mode.

If Nintendo goes the iteration route like they did with DS, 3DS, etc., I'd rather they solve design problems with the current Switch rather than create an entirely new one:

- Change the way the screen is built. Plastic screens are pretty ineffective for durability given that you need to dock them in. They will eventually scratch. Moreover, the adhesive application is compromised due to the ribbon cable on the right side, so more Switches may see screen popouts due to heat. Why not go for glass screens with better application so users don't have to be annoyed with screen pops?

- Better power efficiency and cooling. The interesting thing about this one is whether the Switch has long-term potential as a status quo console. That is, instead of having to reinvent the wheel, maybe you can use the Switch as the primary console from here on out, and focus on improvements such as 4k, HDR, etc. Mobile hardware has expansion potential and with that comes better power efficiency.

- Better kickstand, because massive lol at how that was conceived.

Top Bottom