• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So...who 'won' E3 2007?

There were no bombshells but Sony and Microsoft both had strong showings, they both put great looking games forefront. Nintendo went all infomercial and almost put me to sleep

Kabouter

Sony > Microsoft > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Nintendo
as far as gamers go

As far as shareholders go:
Nintendo > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > Microsoft > Sony

EktorPR

Damn, most people here aren't open to new and/or different stuff...it's like they aren't allowed to like anything in gaming, "mainstream" related, yet they praise a "film" like Transformers. :lol

Nintendo won for me. First, by announcing that the Big Three (tm.) would release this year, any one of 'em with the potential of nabbing "Game of the Year". Second, by unveiling Wii Fit, which is in my opinion, a great alternative to have fun while keeping fit, and involves the whole family. Third, by showing footage of Mario Kart Wii and confirming it's online capabilities, as with a bunch of other games that weren't thought to have online before (Medal of Honor and Guitar Hero III come to mind). Finally, new channels for the Wii Menu (Check Mii Out! and WiiWare channel).

They didn't need to announce games for the next year (though, they did: Mario Kart Wii and Wii Fit are scheduled for early next year), that's for next's E3. Last year was an exceptional case because the Wii hadn't been released yet, forcing them to show an "outlook" of the first year and a half of the system to give a better idea of what to expect. But right now, after the great sales and momentum, they just needed to keep it...and they did.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Gekkonidae said:
In all honesty, the status quo wasn't upended, therefore Nintendo won.

Eh, I think expanding the market is important if you're a Nintendo share holder, but really, as a gamer I'm ok without a sea change.

Haunted

Nintendo had the worst conference by far:

showing only snippets of Umbrella Chronicles, the Zapper, Mario & Sonic, Mario Galaxy and Smash Brothers Brawl (+ the 5-8 other mid-tier games) + release dates for Brawl and Galaxy were expected.

announcing only 2 new games at the conference (Wii Fit and Mario Kart Wii)

showing only 2 titles properly (Phantom Hourglass and Corruption)

It really was the worst conference. Having said that, they had by far the best reveal after the conference was over: Advance Wars 2, release dates for FE10 and Forever Blue, Mario Party DS, new trailers and screenshots for Corruption, Brawl, Galaxy (and I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff here :D).

So they lost the conferences, but definitely satisfied at the actual E3 afterwards.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
EktorPR said:
Damn, most people here aren't open to new and/or different stuff...it's like they aren't allowed to like anything in gaming, "mainstream" related, yet they praise a "film" like Transformers. :lol

To be fair, most of the "hardcore" games people are so scared will die off are largely the game equivalent of a movie like Transformers, so it's not entirely inconsistent. I'm not sure exactly where Wii games fit into the analogy, someone mentioned "indie" movies (for each kind of game, actually), but I don't think that's very accurate. Maybe Cheaper by the Dozen?

AstroLad said:
To be fair, most of the "hardcore" games people are so scared will die off are largely the game equivalent of a movie like Transformers, so it's not entirely inconsistent. I'm not sure exactly where Wii games fit into the analogy, someone mentioned "indie" movies (for each kind of game, actually), but I don't think that's very accurate. Maybe Cheaper by the Dozen?

It's television. The correct analogy would be television, or possibly made for DVD movies. Which is why all these rampant fears seem so hilariously unfounded. There will always be a monetizing audience for big blockbuster movies, no matter how high ticket prices get, people will always keep going to the ****in' movies.

Top Bottom