• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
Don't worry guys, DCharlie has a plan.
Sony just have to release PS4 trailers these holidays to murder Wii U before it even releases.

Checkmate.

Hey, that might work : Except no one invested in the Sony brand has the tiniest bit of interest in the Wii U. And vice versa - Nintendo haven't signed off on next-next gen yet - i can see the "this level of power doesn't interest me at all" posts already! I will be disappointed if you aren't flag waving at the front.

Anyways, Sony must be thrilled that the Wii U has allowed them to raise the price of the PS3 and still look a cheaper option.

Nintendo - the company of GIVING.

(p.s. i'm also thrilled that i'm now apparently head Sony fanboy! WHERE IS KITTONWY NOW!? WOLLAN?! WHO IS YOUR KING NOW!?!?)

So are we going to ignore the 250 & 500 GB Harddrive ?

Those over priced pieces of shit? yes we are. They should have come out with a 12GB version for $199 with a game and move set and you can optionally put in your own HDD you know like a 500GB one for $55 from the shops.

i dont know...
ps 3 has an established userbase and wiiu has similar power to PS3 and comes to market 6 years after PS3 was released.

many people might fear that wiiu will be treated like the wii by third parties (highly likely) and will be dropped fast once the new xbox and ps comes out.

I think nintendo really did a bad job this time around to promote wiiu as the new casual gamer mashine, which is probably the only way for wiiu success.

They should have launched with wiifitu and wiisportsu alongside with wiiplayu

what we got is only nintendoland and nsmbu... the latter worked with casuals sure. but will nintendoland do that as well? that will be the biggest question.
Nintendo has Wii Fit U during launch window as well as NSMBU as established casual franchises. Then they are taking a risk with Nintendoland but casuals aren't going to go and drop 300 for a system that offers the same experience. With NSMBU, nintendo will already have one title that will likely outsell every PS3 title in Japan. Then there is DQX beta and MHTriG HD.

Chiggs

Wii U is going to start decimating the competition. I really believe they got the timing (and pricing) right.

jerd

Why reduce the price when Nintendo has priced themselves out of competition?

I'm sorry, I'm just trying to understand some of the opinions here. Not disagreeing or anything, but by pricing their new console at the same price as the competition, they have priced themselves out of competition? Please explain.

They should have launched with wiifitu and wiisportsu alongside with wiiplayu

Those were huge, huge sellers on Wii. Wii Fit basically sold what the entire main line Halo series put together has. It makes way more sense to save them for a few months and release them during a lull for a sales bump. They don't need them at launch, Mario and being the new thing will let them sell out through Christmas and probably beyond. Save some bullets in the chamber for next year.

NeoUltima

Sony don't care.

At this point they are just cutting their losses with PS3. The price is high cause they are trying to squeeze out as much profit as possible. They are not overly concerned with increasing PS3's market share anymore.

Selling hardware at a loss now is pointless...They are aggressive with pricing early on in a console cycle because they make up for it with software sales over time. But that 'over time' is just about up now. It is the end of the generation and developers (and subsequently software sales) will be moving on to the new consoles. What games would new PS3 owners be buying? Used games and older cheaper games.

Their best option now is to maximize profit based on the hardware.

A year from now their focus will be on PS4. That is when they will worry about Wii U and be more aggressive.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Hey, that might work : Except no one invested in the Sony brand has the tiniest bit of interest in the Wii U. And vice versa - Nintendo haven't signed off on next-next gen yet - i can see the "this level of power doesn't interest me at all" posts already! I will be disappointed if you aren't flag waving at the front.

Anyways, Sony must be thrilled that the Wii U has allowed them to raise the price of the PS3 and still look a cheaper option.

(p.s. i'm also thrilled that i'm not apparently head Sony fanboy! WHERE IS KITTONWY NOW!? WOLLAN?! WHO IS YOUR KING NOW!?!?)
You know, I can have have a Sony console and not shit on Nintendo. Always had, always will.

You're having meltdowns left and right this week DCharlie, sorry but it is hard not to call you out.

ps3-uncharted3-system-3-large.png

ps3-uncharted3-system-large.png

http://us.playstation.com/ps3/systems/uncharted3-gameofyear-bundle.html

No one in Japan cares about Uncharted. Ok, maybe three or four people.

We're at the tail end of the generation and we're still looking at $250 to $300 PS3s and 360s. Amazing.

We'll see how much they are when the WiiU launches. 360 hasn't gotten a price cut in over 4 years.

amrihua

I'm getting a Wii U, I just don't see a reason to get the PS3. Maybe if they price it around ¥19,000 I'll finally get one. Oh well. Their loss not mine.

(p.s. i'm also thrilled that i'm now apparently head Sony fanboy! WHERE IS KITTONWY NOW!? WOLLAN?! WHO IS YOUR KING NOW!?!?)

Yes Im sure Sony is "thrilled"

UberTag

They're going to win in NA too.
Microsoft will at least fight Nintendo in NA.
Sony just seems content to cower in a corner and hide behind The Last of Us demos while their market gets swallowed up.

At least Europe still loves them. They still do, right?

You know, I can have have a Sony console and not shit on Nintendo. Always had, always will.

You're having meltdowns left and right this week DCharlie, sorry but it is hard not to call you out.

Better be careful I remember a youtube video of him biting someone's finger,

He does have a point in that the 50,000 people who buy sony gaming products on a weekly basis in japan may not want anything to do with the 100,000 weekly that buy nintendo gaming products in japan. that 50,000 is a pretty big number and should not be disregarded.

Jonnyram

Sony PS3, black/white, 250GB HDD, MinGol 6 = 25980 yen.
Nintendo Wii U, white, 8GB flash memory, no games = 26250 yen.

What parity?

Yes the console with RE6, Yakuza 5, Tales of xillia 2 and Ken's Rage 2 is going to get steam rolled this holiday. Makes perfect sense.

beril

So are we going to ignore the 250 & 500 GB Harddrive ?

Yes.

It's just the same crap they've been doing for years; instead of an actual price cut they lower the price of the premium SKU, add another one with an even bigger HDD and discontinues the lowest SKU. Essentially keeping the same prices while adding percieved value by giving the users a bunch of storage 90% of them won't ever use and hardly affects the manufacturing costs.

Sony PS3, black/white, 250GB HDD, MinGol 6 = 25980 yen.
Nintendo Wii U, white, 8GB flash memory, no games = 26250 yen.

What parity?

Really?
Yes the console with RE6, Yakuza 5, Tales of xillia 2 and Ken's Rage 2 is going to get steam rolled this holiday. Makes perfect sense.

Who said steamrolled? People are saying how Sony missed an opportunity here.

saichi

In Japan. Yes.

Have you seen how PS3 is doing this year?

EDIT:

To do what? Ps3 is gonna sell a ton this holiday.

I'm not sure your definition for a ton but it will be outsold by both 3DS and Wii U in December and probably less than last year.

Top Bottom