• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

Het_Nkik

Could it be they're hoping to get sales from people who aren't able to get a Wii U once it sells out?

EDIT: Leatherhat, pretty sure that Fist of the North Star game was confirmed for Wii U.

NSMBU will likely outsell all of these combined in Japan. Unless significant franchise decline occurs.

All those combined will sell near 2 million in Japan. Looking at NSMB2's numbers we'll have to see. But of course the system is launching with MH3G and NSMB2 and a DQX beta

It seems like everyone is failing to take into account the controller that comes with the Wii U. Sure it doesn't come with a huge harddrive, but it comes with a controller with a fucking screen on it.

If you don't like the idea of the Wii U Gamepad, then fine, but don't say the Wii U is too expensive because it doesn't have as much flash memory as the others do.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
You know, I can have have a Sony console and not shit on Nintendo. Always had, always will.

You're having meltdowns left and right this week DCharlie, sorry but it is hard not to call you out.

haha - what meltdowns? you're living in your own little fantasy world. Your dickriding after questioning no multitouch is fascinating and touching (but only with one finger - we can code around that)

1 big game is better than 4 big games? MH on console is not the beast it is on handheld.

Heh.

Alright, then.
331630.jpg

I still don't get it. People think sony made a mistake not cutting price? PS3 will sell insane amounts this holiday. It may or may not outsell wiiU, but thats ps4's job anyway. Sony may as well rake it in while they can.

GCX

I've learned from this thread that console prices should go up once their game libraries start growing.

squidyj

Do go on. I like the way console generations have become an exclusive club barring admittance to those do not take their innovations and upgrades from the approved list.

It's misrepresenting what's going on by claiming ZOUNDS THEY SURE MANAGED TO MAKE THAT NEXT GEN CONSOLE CHEAP because it disingenuously claims that what's going into this 'next-gen' console is the same as or similar to what is going into other 'next-gen' consoles and then evaluates the Wii U as super duper awesome on a false premise.

Please however feel free to perceive this as some form of continued persecution though.

It's not that exclusive of a club, the Wii U just isn't in it, sorry.

I've learned from this thread that console prices should go up once their game libraries start growing.

No, but they do offer a concrete level of value to the system.

I'm not sure why Monster Hunter on console is being touted.

Tri caused an impressive bump for the Wii, back in it's heyday, but 3G HD did essentially nothing for the PS3.

I still don't get it. People think sony made a mistake not cutting price? PS3 will sell insane amounts this holiday. It may or may not outsell wiiU, but thats ps4's job anyway. Sony may as well rake it in while they can.

They aren't raking in anything in hardware as they are being outsold 2:1 if you count ps2 ps3 psp and vita combined to nintendo's consoles. They need to sell software and I think sony has a fairly good lineup

It's good that the Wii U is priced similar to the PS3 since console gaming is second choice in Japan, the Wii U has to motivate them to buy it. That Monster Hunter 3 HD bundle should do the trick along with Dragon Quest X nicely.

fritolay

Just how much money does Sony have before everything comes crashing down? PS4 may be like Sega's Saturn, people may jump ship and not support it if Sony crashes hard this year. People would have laughed if you said that about Sega before the Saturn. Comparisons say well Sony is much bigger. Well the other departments are killing them as well so something has to give.

It's misrepresenting what's going on by claiming ZOUNDS THEY SURE MANAGED TO MAKE THAT NEXT GEN CONSOLE CHEAP because it disingenuously claims that what's going into this 'next-gen' console is the same as or similar to what is going into other 'next-gen' consoles and then evaluates the Wii U as super duper awesome on a false premise.

Please however feel free to perceive this as some form of continued persecution though.

Must be awesome being able to deny facts with a straight face.

Tri caused an impressive bump for the Wii, back in it's heyday, but 3G HD did essentially nothing for the PS3.

You mean Monster Hunter Portable 3 HD? Yeah, most people already had it on PSP so naturally it didn't do much for lasting sales.

Just how much money does Sony have before everything comes crashing down? PS4 may be like Sega's Saturn, people may jump ship and not support it if Sony crashes hard this year. People would have laughed if you said that about Sega before the Saturn. Comparisons say well Sony is much bigger. Well the other departments are killing them as well so something has to give.

The playstation console is doing fine. Its the handheld thats sucking it up. (And the tv division if were looking at the company as a whole).

jerd

You'll forgive me for disagreeing, but I think that as far as we know, an argument could be made that there is just as much or more going into the Wii U's hardware as there will be in other next-gen consoles. Just because it won't necessarily show up in the graphics doesn't make it any less of a hardware improvement.

well if the 3DS Wii-U crossover won't work on the biggest game on the healthiest console ecosystem what does that say for the

PSP-Vita crossovers
PS3- Vita Crossovers

Maybe that is why they mention it. ALso, Vita is a 25,000 yen ps3 gamepad.

The PS3 will easily outsell the Wiiu this fall in the USA simply because of supply constraints.
However, that price is gonna be a serious problem once January rolls around.

RagnarokX

I'd say this is a pretty bad decision. PS3 has been $300 for like 3 years. Who are they selling to? Why would people upgrade this late in PS3's life? Why would new customers who haven't bitten yet bite now at the same price?

Yes PS3's library gives it perceived value, but the average consumer isn't going to look at that. They're going to see an old console and a new console for the same price; a console that is at the end of its life and one that is at the beginning
for the same price.

New for the price of old, people are gonna pick new.

And what does this say about their plans for PS4 if $300 is their bottom line for their old tech?

fritolay

The playstation console is doing fine. Its the handheld thats sucking it up. (And the tv division if were looking at the company as a whole).

Well if their gaming division is doing fine then they must know what they are doing right? Maybe they can't go cheaper because they can't get it much cheaper, and they need the money. So they will just ride out the profits no matter how little they sell this next year and a half before the PS4 comes out. Sounds like the plan to me. Don't lose your shirts when going into next gen where there is a lot of uncertainty.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
haha - what meltdowns? you're living in your own little fantasy world. Your dickriding after questioning no multitouch is fascinating and touching (but only with one finger - we can code around that)
NO CAPS IN YOUR POST. That's a first in a while. I guess you got my point eventually.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

for the Wii U in Japan :

it's perfectly timed - it'll help fill what seems like a void until we get MH4. It's a perfect launch title really, it should show off what the Wii U can do (given Capcom (if they are handling it internally?)) and MH has a great art style etc etc.

for the Wii U in US :
gives the all important online play to those that want that , culling the main issue with MH that local play on it's own isn't enough. Plus first english language MH in a while.

MH 3rd HD is a red herring - it was a largely poor effort with some serious issues. It's also going to be interesting to see what exactly MH3G U HD -is- whether it's just tarted up slightly / upscaled or some extra effort has gone in. I'm sort of expecting the later - plus MH3G looks substantially better than MH3rdP IMO.

at the risk of going down -that- road again, i'd say 500k or so in Japan at least, which probably means 1.5million ;)

NO CAPS IN YOUR POST. That's a first in a while. I guess you got my point eventually

Yup - i'm totally melting down. Keep posting it, it'll make it true!

You'll forgive me for disagreeing, but I think that as far as we know, an argument could be made that there is just as much or more going into the Wii U's hardware as there will be in other next-gen consoles. Just because it won't necessarily show up in the graphics doesn't make it any less of a hardware improvement.

Didn't Nintendo spend 2 billion dollars in R&D since 2009 for Wii U development? I agree that this console is not just Xbox 360 hardware with a touch screen. Not a chance.

Well if their gaming division is doing fine then they must know what they are doing right? Maybe they can't go cheaper because they can't get it much cheaper, and they need the money. So they will just ride out the profits no matter how little they sell this next year and a half before the PS4 comes out. Sounds like the plan to me. Don't lose your shirts when going into next gen where there is a lot of uncertainty.

Well lets not get carried away here

ohlawd

I don't know about you guys but I think the PS3 will sell a decent amount of software this holiday but not hardware.

beril

Didn't Nintendo spend 2 billion dollars in R&D since 2009 for Wii U development? I agree that this console is not just Xbox 360 hardware with a touch screen. Not a chance.

I think there's a big misconception about Nintendos R&D budget. Whenever someone posts their r&d number from their financial reports people somehow assume it's just for hardware and possibly some strange research projects, when that number almost certainly includes all their game development (as in R&D). There is no other number in their reports that could really cover game budgets. Another fairly big clue is that their software teams actually used to be called R&D, before changing to EAD, which means pretty much the same thing.

GCX

A no new game week in the middle of September is probably gonna be indicative of a holiday season with big games and a new model.
It's a good indication of how viable the platform currently is. The fact that 3DS sells 60k+ in a slow week shows it's doing fine. Everything else doing 10k is just sad.

Yes, typo. I can't see 3G HD doing that much more for Wii U, as isn't it essentially an analogous situation.

I think the game will get Wii U sales started strong and send a message to gamers in Japan that the Wii U is not going to just be casual sports and party games. If Nintendo can also pull of a simultaneous release of Monster Hunter 4 for the 3DS and Wii U it would do some deep sales damage.

Daschysta

Yeah if Ninty had decided to release a Pokemon game of some sort Wii U would be launching with 4 out of the 5 biggest Japanese franchises represented in some capacity, with the promise of the 5th, and possibly 6th (Kart/Smash) for the future.

The funny thing is, if Nintendo really wanted to sell hardware they would just bundle Mario with every system. That could mess up Third Parties though since gamers might be happy with Mario for too long before buying another game and by that time other games will already be out.....so I guess this is why they've been having casual games as pack-ins the last 2 generations.

squidyj

Must be awesome being able to deny facts with a straight face.

lol.

it's the snarky, contentless, factless, argumentless posts that I continually get in these threads that amuse me the most. It's like you're telling me "Well I can't come up with anything to refute your claims but I still don't like you very much so I'm going to say something snarky and dumb"

The funny thing is, if Nintendo really wanted to sell hardware they would just bundle Mario with every system. That could mess up Third Parties though since gamers might be happy with Mario for too long before buying another game and by that time other games will already be out.....so I guess this is why they've been having casual games as pack-ins the last 2 generations.
I'd imagine they've been having casual games as pack-ins the last two generations to attract the new casual audience for those games.

Mario is a strong recognizable character, but having him didn't save the N64 and GameCube. His power, particularly in the home console realm, is somewhat overstated, imo.
The casual games are the bait, but with Wii it was somewhat of a bust because a lot of casuals were comfortable sticking with WiiSports and not buying any bridge titles.
I don't know about that. I would attribute the success of several of Nintendo's franchises on the Wii to their bridge title nature and casual gamers spurring that success, e.g. Mario Kart.

RagnarokX

Nintendo doesn't want to just sell hardware, though. They want to increase software sales by converting casuals into core gamers. The casual games are the bait, but with Wii it was somewhat of a bust because a lot of casuals were comfortable sticking with WiiSports and not buying any bridge titles. Nintendo has made sure this time their pack-in is a casual/bridge title that gives casuals a taste of 12 of their franchises.

Casuals already buy Mario, Nintendo wants them to buy the others, too.

Top Bottom