• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

shink

Well looks like they don't care about competing with the Wii U. I predict a huge Nintendo pacman until the PS4 hits.

AniHawk

Sony has some very, very strong software coming out. Stuff like Beyond, God of War 4, and the Last of Us. I haven't seen anything out of Nintendo that remotely approaches those titles and Nintendo doesn't have the built in fanbase the PS3 has.

the last of us looks like it could be great. i really hope naughty dog hits it out of the park, because it sounds really well-designed and i love the way the game watches you. i'm awaiting the last guardian to hit sometime too.

it's going to get real ugly when bayonetta 2 gets compared to god of war 4. the original bayonetta was compared to god of war 3 a lot, and those threads got a little nasty even when it was also available on the same system gow3 was on. i've always been in the bayonetta camp, though. god of war can't do anything to grab my attention because it takes itself so seriously. it's like badly written fanfiction using greek mythology but the writer is being super duper serious. bayonetta is like an action game with badly written fanfiction using gods and demons and it's being super duper tongue-in-cheek.

beyond will probably be trash- but that's okay, because it should come with the quantic dream warning label on the box.

looking forward to sly 4. probably won't sell anyone a system, but i liked what i played on the vita at e3 and this gen has been kinda short on good 3d platformers.

playstation all-stars is neat, and could at least sell a few hundred thousand, but i doubt its ability to clear a million and more. i think the roster being so western-focused could hurt its chances in japan. i liked what i played, though.

xillia 2 should do really well. i haven't played a tales of since abyss on the ps2, so i'm really out of the loop on those. i think that's it for future games, but i'm probably missing stuff. i see someone mentioned a new hot shots, so that should at least do really well during the holiday. resident evil 6 should too, i guess, but i think it may be plagued by bad word of mouth if some threads are any indication.

wait how did i get here.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I thiknk that it could be a risky move (I was expecting a price cut) but looking at their solid Christmas Lineup, it could work.
While Wii U have some strong titles such as Mario and MH, they also have no install base and some doubts about the actual strenght of those softwares (New Mario 3DS is performing well, in terms of general numbers, but way weaker than DS and Wii episodes, while MH is an HD port and on home console), PS3 has some sure bet like Xillia 2, Yakuza 5 and RE6 (especially this one will be huge imho)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
*Looks at Vita*
32786553.v1279883541.gif

Haha this dog stole this whole thread from me....now i cant concentrate on anything.

Okay ill try.

Sony will be happy if they sell one console, i dont think at this point they are truly fighting with the WiiU launch.

Nintendo wins because its fucking Nintendo.....heck ive been converted....3 weeks ago i scorfed at the Wii U and was planning on skipping it without mercy.
Now im probably gonna bank one at launch.

antonz

You don't announce a new console (variant) with a high price, if you intend to sell it for less a few weeks after launch.

Personally I think Sony are happy to concede to Nintendo, and retrieve as much profit from the PS3 before the PS4 arrives.

At the end of the day this is exactly what it comes down to. The Generations basically over. Nows the time to try and recover as much of the losses as they can and fight for profitability.

Things are extremely tight in the Game division because of Vita. The PSP while abysmal for the most part made Sony decent money. Vita is not doing that for Sony. So that puts that much more pressure on the PS3 to bring home the bacon.

Mandoric

Banned
I still don't get it. People think sony made a mistake not cutting price? PS3 will sell insane amounts this holiday. It may or may not outsell wiiU, but thats ps4's job anyway. Sony may as well rake it in while they can.

The elephant in the room is that it's inadvisable for Sony to rapidly drop the PS3 price, and unlikely-to-unthinkable to have any PS3 model within range of the PS4 at launch. Shit, a $50 gap between PS3+Move and PS4 is extremely unlikely for market segmentation purposes. $300 PS3 until at least Spring 2013 means either 2014 PS4 or $400+ base PS4, and the lack of first-party software on show anywhere points to option B.

Edit: It's the 500GB premium pack that really kills it. That shouldn't exist, the budget/premium divide really needs to be $200 Flash and $250 HDD with 250->320 presented as the premium "uptick". That's cautious, conservative wound-licking without torpedoing Vita's price point, that doesn't automatically stick a fork in the PS4.

Hero

It's not like things could really get much worse for them. Regardless of the price difference the Wii U is going to sell every system put on a shelf this holiday season.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
It's not like things could really get much worse for them. Regardless of the price difference the Wii U is going to sell every system put on a shelf this holiday season.

I think that with the Direct they revealed some potential big strategy for Japan in particula, but I also think that its ability to replicate Wii's success is yet to be proven, honestly.

maverick40

ibyYxQVLx6DX4L.png

wii%20u_zps6395f7fd.png

Wii U White - ¥25,000
PS3 White - ¥24,980
Wii U Black - ¥30,000
PS3 Black 500 GB - ¥29,980

The prices shown at the top (for Wii U) is the price with tax, so I'm going to include the tax-less price.

Is this going to be a lose situation for Sony and a win situation for Nintendo? Is this near price parity not going to affect anything?

I think the Wii U may sell over the PS3 because for the same price, you can get a shiny new console.

you do realise that the most expensive ps3 you mentioned has a 500gb hard drive right??? You are comparing it to a new console witb 32gb hard drive right??

Hero

I think that with the Direct they revealed some potential big strategy for Japan in particula, but I also think that its ability to replicate Wii's success is yet to be proven, honestly.

I didn't say they were going to replicate the exact success of Wii. I don't think Wii U is going to do as well by virtue of how insane the Wii was. But that's longterm. I said that in the holiday period every Wii U Nintendo puts out in Japan will sell, I don't think that's a bold claim. NSMB U + Monster Hunter + DQX demo is unprecedented in terms of console launch software.

Theonik

Sony probably is trying to not make the PS3 look inferior to the WiiU. They expect that games will look pretty close to PS3 given how many are ports in the first few months and are probably considering that Blu-Ray might also work for them.
Don't know if it will actually work but that's their reasoning I would think.
Edit: Also larger hard drive, people like larger numbers.

jimi_dini

Here's a better question: we're at year what like 5 or 6 into this gen and the ps3 is STILL above $250(!) so what kind of price are we looking at for a ps4 in a year's time? Surely they wouldn't try $599 again, right?

Of course not.
They will go out with a bang. PS4 799$ baby.

deleted

This reminds me a bit of the Game Boy Micro situation. We knew a new iteration was coming but everyone expected the price to be lower and the PSP was already out.

Maybe its Sony testing the waters with the price point and they have a lot of room for a price reduction or two when the Wii-U comes out. Who knows... But right now, it feels like a strange move.

I really think Sony have lost their minds keeping the price in the same ballpark as the Wii U. It's new and it's Nintendo and it's in Japan. Imo, the PS3 should be on the average of $150-$200 now and that is being generous considering how old it is now. 6 years old and it still cost as much as it does. Come on, who makes these decisions over there? Not saying it isn't worth it since it is an amazing console, but it shows me that they do not care about being competitive anymore. A much cheaper console could definitely entice people to choose your console over the "new" competition since they both have comparable graphics and PS3 has many more games for the obvious reasons. Sony just doesn't care anymore. Wow. PS4 will probably be at least $589 now.

Cuddler

As I've said in the Media Create thread some days ago...
I'm not sure that Sony will cut the price of the ps3 this year. I think the majority of people that are going to buy the Wii U are the same that already have a Wii. If you have noticed every major games on Wii U is a sequel/port of a game that is already on the Wii. People that already have only a Ps3 or don't have a Wii I'm not sure that they will be interested in buying the Wii U in the first year.
Plus IMO if people were interested in the PS3 third party offers they will probably already have a Ps3 by now.

Here's a better question: we're at year what like 5 or 6 into this gen and the ps3 is STILL above $250(!) so what kind of price are we looking at for a ps4 in a year's time? Surely they wouldn't try $599 again, right?

honestly the minimum i have for a PS4/next xbox is starting at $400 0_o, hell maybe $450 soon

its gonna get crazy haha

KiNeSiS

Banned
3DS is a completely different ball park than the Vita.

You're right 3ds flat out sucks to play. I want to love it however everytime I play it for 5 minutes I can feel the carpal tunnel developing. The 3ds design is so shit that they made a xl update mighty quick. Still no 2nd analog stick WTF! Vita is a beast this situation is straight out of the twilight zone. No surprise really, Psp was way better than the Ds & look how that turned out.

meta4

Nobody is going to buy a PS3 with the Wii U the same price with an NSMB and Monster Hunter launch.

It's going to be a bloodbath. Vita part deux.

They are really going to be allowing Nintendo to gain a stranglehold in both the home and portable markets.

And PS4 will be launched and decimate WiiU in sales. par for the course for a new console...

Yeah, dumb move by Sony. They should have totally dropped the price and sell it at loss to compete with a new console that's going to sell better regardless.

You guys are funny sometimes.

IrishNinja

And PS4 will be launched and decimate WiiU in sales. par for the course for a new console...

i wish we could make bets on this site sometimes...there's so much easy money on the table it kills me

Yeah, dumb move by Sony. They should have totally dropped the price and sell it at loss to compete with a new console that's going to sell better regardless.

is pricing yourselves less competitively a better option though? and would $50 off be selling at a loss?
IIRC PS2 sold a ton of its total around the $200 price mark, i thought that was the overall goal here - it's been doing well for MS, i figure.

Firestorm

you do realise that the most expensive ps3 you mentioned has a 500gb hard drive right??? You are comparing it to a new console witb 32gb hard drive right??
You realize the price difference between a 500 GB Hard Drive and 32 GB Flash Drive is about $40 right?

Seriously what the hell are people talking about with this storage thing. It should be a non-factor if you're even remotely technologically literate.

AniHawk

opening the system up to a pricepoint that's more widely accepted (since the $250-$300 thing is worldwide) gives you access to an audience that you didn't have before. it's partly why the ps2 sold tens of millions of consoles below the $200 mark.

it's been long-since time that these devices should have been more of a budget price by now.

EVOL 100%

Making bold predictions for a console we know nothing about huh.

the Vita absolutely annihilated the 3DS right

I swear to god some people just block their ears, close their eyes and make up elaborate fantasies(emphasis on fantasy) to construct some strange reality that they will believe for reasons incomprehensible.

Cyborg

Offcourse WII U will sell better, no disscusion there. But its completely normal, its a new console. But I dont consider WII U to be new.....cause it uses old technology and has the same possibilities as PS3 and X360, but its only 5 years to late!

opening the system up to a pricepoint that's more widely accepted (since the $250-$300 thing is worldwide) gives you access to an audience that you didn't have before. it's partly why the ps2 sold tens of millions of consoles below the $200 mark.

it's been long-since time that these devices should have been more of a budget price by now.

And the smart thing is to do it when you can't sell it at profit and when a brand new console console is releasing?

Also, I think you'll find the more widely accepted price point has changed since last gen. PS3 is gonna sell tons when it reaches near 100-150, it'll barely change at 250-300

Jonnyram

The elephant in the room is that it's inadvisable for Sony to rapidly drop the PS3 price, and unlikely-to-unthinkable to have any PS3 model within range of the PS4 at launch. Shit, a $50 gap between PS3+Move and PS4 is extremely unlikely for market segmentation purposes. $300 PS3 until at least Spring 2013 means either 2014 PS4 or $400+ base PS4, and the lack of first-party software on show anywhere points to option B.

Edit: It's the 500GB premium pack that really kills it. That shouldn't exist, the budget/premium divide really needs to be $200 Flash and $250 HDD with 250->320 presented as the premium "uptick". That's cautious, conservative wound-licking without torpedoing Vita's price point, that doesn't automatically stick a fork in the PS4.
Well, your points are sound, but you are kind of glossing over the main problem. Sony can't drop the price of PS3 a great deal, as long as it contains an HDD. They can't do much with HDD prices, and that's why there's a flash memory version in Europe, I think. Next gen, they may drop the HDD and go with flash memory too. It depends on flash memory prices, I suppose. Either way, while there is an HDD in their hardware, that's basically an extra $99 that will sit on top of whatever their hardware price would have been otherwise. I think they've done pretty well to get it down to $250, actually.

I might buy of these new slim PS3 to replace my fatty.

WiiU I couldn't care if it sold at 10,000JPN. I still wouldn't buy it unless they release some games for it that I actually care about.

Well, your points are sound, but you are kind of glossing over the main problem. Sony can't drop the price of PS3 a great deal, as long as it contains an HDD. They can't do much with HDD prices, and that's why there's a flash memory version in Europe, I think. Next gen, they may drop the HDD and go with flash memory too. It depends on flash memory prices, I suppose. Either way, while there is an HDD in their hardware, that's basically an extra $99 that will sit on top of whatever their hardware price would have been otherwise. I think they've done pretty well to get it down to $250, actually.

A 500GB hard drive does not cost anyone, much less Sony, $99.

It's at most half that.

Sony probably is trying to not make the PS3 look inferior to the WiiU. They expect that games will look pretty close to PS3 given how many are ports in the first few months and are probably considering that Blu-Ray might also work for them.
Don't know if it will actually work but that's their reasoning I would think.
Edit: Also larger hard drive, people like larger numbers.

Of course it won't work, and I sincerely doubt that's the reasoning behind Sony's move. Most people don't care about graphics all that much, Wii U will sell (initially) because it's a new system, it has Nintendo games, and a novel controller. No, the pricing is the way it is simply because Sony is not in the best shape and they need more money, even if it means lower volumes.

AniHawk

And the smart thing is to do it when you can't sell it at profit and when a brand new console console is releasing?

the point of making a second revision was to get costs down so that they'd make more money off the thing. and instead of passing savings on to the customer, they shoved a few hundred more gigabytes of memory space in there and called it a day.

Also, I think you'll find the more widely accepted price point has changed since last gen. PS3 is gonna sell tons when it reaches near 100-150, it'll barely change at 250-300

yeah. i think the ps3 should be $129.99 with an upper price point of maybe $149.99. the wii should be $79.99 and the 360 should be between $99.99 and $129.99 or $149.99.

Sipowicz

Banned
to me this would be like the wii launching at the same price as the ps2 with no ps3 in sight. however this is an alternate universe in which the PS2 is an unpopular console with barely good exclusives and few that anyone wants

saying that console gaming is dying in japan. so i expect the wii u to sell moderately well in japan and take all or most japanese support like the 3DS. i expect the PS4 to be doa

the point of making a second revision was to get costs down so that they'd make more money off the thing. and instead of passing savings on to the customer, they shoved a few hundred more gigabytes of memory space in there and called it a day

How can they make more money if they are passing the savings on to the consumer?

And the HDDs are only making them more money since the prices in no way match the HDD increase.

Top Bottom