• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

Malvingt2

I think Nintendo wins this Holiday in Japan.

lCkJo.png
Yeah.. Nintendo Locked Japan..

At least Europe still loves them. They still do, right?

Not so much as in the past, but pretty much europe is now like the battered woman that still loves a little his husband, the problem is that she also has a romantic affair now with someone that treats her better, Nintendo, and then the 360 is much better now that some years ago when the gen started.

Not looking good for sony in their last bastion, that is not a bastion now but a crumbling tower.

Ahhh, I feel poetic this morning, lol.

You realize the price difference between a 500 GB Hard Drive and 32 GB Flash Drive is about $40 right?

Seriously what the hell are people talking about with this storage thing. It should be a non-factor if you're even remotely technologically literate.

And the people who aren't technologically literate (pretty much everyone) simply won't give a shit. If sony is actually thinking that the extra hardrive space will make the package more appealing they are in for a shock.

Sony and MS' next consoles using off the shelf PC parts is the best thing to happen to either company. They are two of the worst engineered "successful" consoles of all time if Sony and MS can't make money at <$200 at this point. Sony is absolutely fucked in Japan with the PS3 currently selling about 10k a week. MS isn't going to do much better in NA without a price drop.

Vol5

Why not go toe-to-toe with the Wii-U in japan? It's probably the last Xmas push for PS3 so why not try to bait the people undecided or on the fence about the Wii-U. The price will be slashed directly after Xmas anyway.

But, yeah, still gonna be destroyed

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Yeah but if someone who doesn't have either of the two systems is going to purchase one, and sees that they are around the same price, they may lean toward buying the shiny new console instead. Thus, Sony lost a sale.

If this "someone" hasn't purchased a PS3 at this point I don't think they were all to serious about getting one to begin with.

Besides, Japan only wants 3DS. I don't expect U to come close to the sales of Nintendo's handheld once the dust settles.

beril

And the people who aren't technologically literate (pretty much everyone) simply won't give a shit. If sony is actually thinking that the extra hardrive space will make the package more appealing they are in for a shock.

The people who are technologically literate will give even less of a shit because they realize you don't actually need a 500GB harddrive in a console, and if you do you can get one much cheaper

If this "someone" hasn't purchased a PS3 at this point I don't think they were all to serious about getting one to begin with.

Besides, Japan only wants 3DS. I don't expect U to come close to the sales of Nintendo's handheld once the dust settles.

You do realize how much PS2 sold after the 6 year point right?

1-D_FTW

Generally speaking, companies don't tend to fight a new console release by raising their prices, but this is Sony. Maybe they figured PS3 sales couldn't get any less impressive, so they had nothing else to lose in Japan.

I would love to know how one's decision to purchase entertainment electronics can be characterised as serious or not serious.

Why would anyone expect it to? What is the argument here exactly?

Expanding on my earlier post, it really seems like Sony and MS are totally content selling at parity with one another, no matter what the overall number of units being shifted. Which is why we still see MS thumping their chest over having >40% marketshare in the US every month despite sales being down massively yoy.

The arrogance to raise the PS3 price this late in the generation could only come from a mindset of, "well, we've shifted more units than MS in 2012."

Meanwhile, software partners are suffering and Nintendo seems poised to eat their lunches, again.

Expanding on my earlier post, it really seems like Sony and MS are totally content selling at parity with one another, no matter what the overall number of units being shifted. Which is why we still see MS thumping their chest over having >40% marketshare in the US every month despite sales being down massively yoy.

The arrogance to raise the PS3 price this late in the generation could only come from a mindset of, "well, we've shifted more units than MS in 2012."

Honestly I don't think big price drops will increase sales. Sony already cut the PS3 price, sales still fell.
This generation is dying and whilst some complain about the Wii, its evident from its sales that its market share is amongst those gamers who bought a PS2. I don't feel MS/Sony have anywhere to grow in their traditional markets.

[The fact is the Wii was killed off; yet its sales haven't been picked up by MS/Sony]

Raising the price isn't arrogance, its Sony likely reducing the costs and increasing the profits - as I say - they already cut the price, sales continued to collapse. Sony are just getting a decent profit margin on any sales they manage to make. It will however still put some off the Playstation brand and make WiiU look like a better bargain than it arguably is.

Meanwhile, software partners are suffering and Nintendo seems poised to eat their lunches, again.

Am not entirely sorry for them. Outside of a few of them, many developers didn't even try with the Wii. The 3DS isn't going to create huge franchises, but it can keep teams ticking over.

I don't know if the situation is as bad as some think as we do have PC sales growing massively; is it making up for the shortfall? Who knows.
But it'd be foolish for any multi-plat release to not skew in favour of the WiiU now imo.

The truth is I don't think the PS3 price would make a huge difference either way. That generation is going; WiiU would kill it even if PS3 was bargain basement prices, because people wanting one already own it and people generally prefer newer things and do understand console generations.

real question: sony's % of royalties aside, are blu-rays selling better in japan than here?

speaking of retarded, you're infecting multiple threads with this mess, i see.

its the next iteration of hardware from nintendo; that makes it next gen, just as wii was in 2006.
this isn't complicated, but sticking to your arbitrary metric of "hardware must be at (x) point" is. even then, its a significant leap from the wii, their last system.

opiate and others have written extensively on the way new input devices create various/lateral metrics to simple #'s and how we should obviously expect this, not only of nintendo (it's been their post gamecube strategy, as clearly seen in DS/wii) but of others in the future as well, given the diminishing returns of chasing bleeding edge tech etc etc - none of this is new to most people here, man.

surprisingly, this wasn't replied to, but we did get personal insults. surprising.

I like you, alot.

drspeedy

Blu ray player

6 year library.

Free game.

500gb hdd.

The ps3 is arguably better value.

Not as shiny and new, but more for your money. Still, expect a competitive move from Sony. Either a price drop (low probability) or some kind of coupon/sale/promo just before WiiU drops.

Sony hasn't forgotten the Vita launch... they've gotta still be sore from the beating the $169 3DS bomba put on Vita's release.

The Blu Ray card is really hard to pull these days, players are dirty cheap and most of them are way better than the ps3. At this point the PS3's biggest selling point are the games and exclusives in my opinion.

andthebeatgoeson

You're right 3ds flat out sucks to play. I want to love it however everytime I play it for 5 minutes I can feel the carpal tunnel developing. The 3ds design is so shit that they made a xl update mighty quick. Still no 2nd analog stick WTF! Vita is a beast this situation is straight out of the twilight zone. No surprise really, Psp was way better than the Ds & look how that turned out.

If you have anymore trouble with the 3DS, I would recommend just pushing it over.

Nobody is going to buy a PS3 with the Wii U the same price with an NSMB and Monster Hunter launch.

It's going to be a bloodbath. Vita part deux.

They are really going to be allowing Nintendo to gain a stranglehold in both the home and portable markets.

What the fuck are you talking about?

The Vita is in trouble because it doesn't have a history of selling lots of consoles (thus install base) and doesn't have an extensive library (to draw in said install base). The PS3 isn't going to "die" because it's priced the same as the Wii U.

This thread is such a typical business GAF armchair quarterback overreaction it's honestly hilarious.

Boss Man

You do realize it probably had more to do than just price right?
I think it's pretty safe to call the PS3's software library the best. It's not the only like PS2's nearly was, but a price drop would certainly move a lot of consoles IMO. Not everyone can afford to spend $250 on a video game console.

With the way Sony priced this new model though, I don't really expect much from PS3 sales this holiday. They should have undercut the Wii U hard and pushed the cross control + cross play stuff with Vita.

Japan is all about the games. Just look at how the Vita sales jump when a game comes out that appeals to Japanese gamers? I think it happened just a few weeks ago that the sales jumped to 30-40k that week for the release of just one game....

andthebeatgoeson

Sony and MS' next consoles using off the shelf PC parts is the best thing to happen to either company. They are two of the worst engineered "successful" consoles of all time if Sony and MS can't make money at <$200 at this point. Sony is absolutely fucked in Japan with the PS3 currently selling about 10k a week. MS isn't going to do much better in NA without a price drop.

It used to be that consoles launched at $200. Now they want to end at $200? Pfft, this past generation is terrible. Plenty of bad choices made may prevent MS and Sony from seeing what truly went wrong.

Arrogance could be already playing a part. It's arrogant to launch in 2005 and not be ready in 2012. It would be arrogant for MS to view the past 2 years as confirmation of their plans. It would be arrogant to view the first few years of sales for the 360 and hope that bleeding tech is still viable. It is slightly arrogant to give Nintendo, the guy that lapped you in a year, a year head start. They get an entire year to rectify their mistakes and make a case to 3rd parties that they should get more games. What will sales be like this holiday for the 360 and PS3? They were falling last christmas. And it's arrogant to place all blame on the economic environment.

I think Nintendo has a decent shot at being the winner next gen and returning to a 'PS 1-like' defeat of it's competitors. It may take awhile in the beginning but heaven forbid any big name 3rd parties has success early.

This needs to be highlighted. A lot of people seem to think it's just a 360 with a tablet, but it's got much more RAM and a faster CPU. That means it will be able to run current gen games, but at the level they never could but should have - closer to 60 fps, 1080p, etc.

It's got double the ram, 512mb more ram than the 360 for games. This is not a huge difference, especially for 7 years later. The CPU is also rumored to be kinda weak (probably faster than Xenon overall but still weak for so many years later). All the specs that have been rumored make me doubt we'll see current gen games at "60 fps, 1080p, etc".

Btw this new PS3 looks cheap due to the lined cover thing on the top. I hope that cover has an actual use and wasn't what their designers thought looked good cosmetically because it looks like trash. That would've been a sexy looking piece of electronics if not for that grooved cover, like if it was matte the whole way through.

Blu ray player

6 year library.

Free game.

500gb hdd.

The ps3 is arguably better value.

Media Create Sales: Week 37, 2012 (Sep 10 - Sep 16)

HARDWARE
Code:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
|System | This Week  | Last Week  | Last Year  |     YTD    |  Last YTD  |     LTD     |
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| 3DS # |     60.903 |     64.159 |     58.837 |  3.120.009 |  1.835.442 |   7.402.152 |
[B]|  PS3  |     13.903 |     11.813 |     36.061 | [/B]   791.894 |    953.361 |   8.428.279 |
|  PSV  |     10.858 |     14.106 |            |    530.412 |            |     970.398 |
| PSP # |      9.069 |      9.065 |     25.129 |    566.758 |  1.476.705 |  19.296.142 |
|  WII  |      6.019 |      6.958 |     15.406 |    391.630 |    494.331 |  12.554.851 |
|  PS2  |      1.120 |      1.078 |      1.317 |     43.272 |     57.271 |  21.817.379 |
| NDS # |      1.073 |      1.269 |      5.181 |     60.310 |    580.816 |  32.868.796 |
|  360  |        739 |        815 |      1.295 |     49.251 |     80.859 |   1.585.296 |
|  ALL  |    103.684 |    109.263 |    143.226 |  5.553.536 |  5.478.785 | 104.923.293 |
| 3DSLL |     35.870 |     38.913 |            |    562.433 |            |     562.433 |
|  3DS  |     25.033 |     25.246 |     58.837 |  2.557.576 |  1.835.442 |   6.839.719 |
| DSiLL |        602 |        672 |      2.869 |     33.444 |    300.278 |   2.327.763 |
|  DSi  |        471 |        597 |      2.234 |     26.866 |    260.412 |   5.860.916 |
|  PSP  |      9.069 |      9.065 |     25.122 |    566.758 |  1.461.194 |  19.120.155 |

Please tell me the free game in Japan isn't Uncharted 3.

Duxxy3

It's got double the ram, 512mb more ram than the 360 for games. This is not a huge difference, especially for 7 years later. The CPU is also rumored to be kinda weak (probably faster than Xenon overall but still weak for so many years later). All the specs that have been rumored make me doubt we'll see current gen games at "60 fps, 1080p, etc".

Btw this new PS3 looks cheap due to the lined cover thing on the top. I hope that cover has an actual use and wasn't what their designers thought looked good cosmetically because it looks like trash. That would've been a sexy looking piece of electronics if not for that grooved cover, like if it was matte the whole way through.

So basically a regular slim.

D.Lo

So basically we've finally seen that the right time to launch PS360 power level consoles without being financially irresponsible was 2009/2010ish. They could have launched at a good market price and broken even/taken a small loss around then, perfect. Instead they launched way too early so they cost too much AND made huge losses. But I guess Activision and other brown shooter devs were happy and that's all that counts hey.

Sony obviously learned absolutely no lessons at all as they did the same thing again with the Vita.

WiiU level power would have been perfect a year ago, they should have done it then and put Zelda on it. But I guess Nintendo had 3DS to sort out first.

You're either interested or you aren't. What's so hard to comprehend?

That does not answer my question at all.

Everyone and their granny already have a blu ray player by now and the wii u for the same price as the ps3 you mention includes a free dragon quest 10 beta

The NSMBU - MHTriG HD - Dragon Quest X HD &#946; launch trifecta is insane. I don't think any Nintendo system has launched this aggresively in Japan before.

Globox_82

Banned
Sony don't care.

At this point they are just cutting their losses with PS3. The price is high cause they are trying to squeeze out as much profit as possible. They are not overly concerned with increasing PS3's market share anymore.

Selling hardware at a loss now is pointless...They are aggressive with pricing early on in a console cycle because they make up for it with software sales over time. But that 'over time' is just about up now. It is the end of the generation and developers (and subsequently software sales) will be moving on to the new consoles. What games would new PS3 owners be buying? Used games and older cheaper games.

Their best option now is to maximize profit based on the hardware.

A year from now their focus will be on PS4. That is when they will worry about Wii U and be more aggressive.

thread closed/

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
No, but you get to pay for your &#946; participation rights on that day ;//

Not exactly. Premium bundle buyers have the right to play the &#946; whenever it becomes available. Which won't be too long after launch afaik.

Ah. Not exactly the same thing. :p

Top Bottom