• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So Wii U and PS3 prices are at near parity in Japan...

Daschysta

I'd imagine they've been having casual games as pack-ins the last two generations to attract the new casual audience for those games.

Mario is a strong recognizable character, but having him didn't save the N64 and GameCube.

He's stronger now than he ever was before, 2D sells more than 3D, it is launching beside the console, and seems like a quality game that isn't rushed in any way. It is going to sell a gazillion copies. He's way, way, more of a system seller than any of the PS3 games you mentioned, or any game on the PS3 period.

He's stronger now than he ever was before, 2D sells more than 3D, it is launching beside the console, and seems like a quality game that isn't rushed in any way. It is going to sell a gazillion copies. He's way, way, more of a system seller than any of the PS3 games you mentioned, or any game on the PS3 period.
I didn't mention any PS3 games...

Final Fantasy XIII has really been the only game I'd consider a system seller for the PS3 this gen, and only in Japan.

Medalion

Banned
Oh shit, they've got us cornered on sales

Quick, make jokes about how they use tech from 7 years ago, thatll shut em up

IrishNinja

blu-ray.png

real question: sony's % of royalties aside, are blu-rays selling better in japan than here?

aaaand this is why calling the Wii U next gen is retarded.

speaking of retarded, you're infecting multiple threads with this mess, i see.

its the next iteration of hardware from nintendo; that makes it next gen, just as wii was in 2006.
this isn't complicated, but sticking to your arbitrary metric of "hardware must be at (x) point" is. even then, its a significant leap from the wii, their last system.

opiate and others have written extensively on the way new input devices create various/lateral metrics to simple #'s and how we should obviously expect this, not only of nintendo (it's been their post gamecube strategy, as clearly seen in DS/wii) but of others in the future as well, given the diminishing returns of chasing bleeding edge tech etc etc - none of this is new to most people here, man.

Your first argument is good. It makes sense. The PS3 has a good library of games, and it well should. It has been out for 6 years. The other two I don't get. Why is it a bad opinion? Why is it wrong to call Wii U next gen and what does that have to do with the price?

surprisingly, this wasn't replied to, but we did get personal insults. surprising.

Squire

Banned
I think if you buy a Wii U (either package) at launch pricing, you're a chump plain and simple. It already wasn't worth it. The PS3 price drops just amplify that.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I think if you buy a Wii U (either package) at launch pricing, you're a chump plain and simple. It already wasn't worth it. The PS3 price drops just amplify that.

...............wait what ?

Nibel

Who are you to say if it's worth it or not? How do you define a console's value? And if you start to brabble about specs then I will show you my little bottle trick

Hiltz

After reading Inorigo's last comment, I think I will go to sleep now. My head needs to rest. Good night GAF, don't let the Sony bedbugs bite.

TDLink

You had the typed up before the Sony press conference and hit enter without checking to see if it actually price dropped, didn't you?

I'd imagine they've been having casual games as pack-ins the last two generations to attract the new casual audience for those games.

Mario is a strong recognizable character, but having him didn't save the N64 and GameCube. His power, particularly in the home console realm, is somewhat overstated, imo.
I don't know about that. I would attribute the success of several of Nintendo's franchises on the Wii to their bridge title nature and casual gamers spurring that success, e.g. Mario Kart.

I think Nintendo has over saturated the NSMB franchise with too many sequels too close together. Mario on the other hand will never get old......the next game is rumored to be full 3D and a break from side-scrolling. I guess it's not surprising though.

860k, 60k less than the same time last year. And far and away the best selling home console. I'm not seeing the doom.

I am talking about combined. PSP PS3 PS2 PSV all their systems combined ytd is about half of what nintendo has. I am talking about japan as a whole. Wii U hasn't even released yet

I am talking about combined. PSP PS3 PS2 PSV all their systems combined ytd is about half of what nintendo has. I am talking about japan as a whole. Wii U hasn't even released yet

So the ps3 is competing with the 3ds now? Thats the vita's job, and its blowing it obviously but I don't see how a ps3 price cut will fix that. Better for them to rake in money on it in case they do cut the vita price.

So the ps3 is competing with the 3ds now? Thats the vita's job, and its blowing it obviously but I don't see how a ps3 price cut will fix that. Better for them to rake in money on it in case they do cut the vita price.

Well, the Wii is dead and the Vita is kind of dead... so all that's left is PS3 vs. 3DS

:0

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ

Come back to me when the PS3 gets a localized, fully online MonHun and we'll talk about what I value each console.

Already happening with NSMB 2.

NSMB2 might "only" end up selling 10-15 million (although, 20 is still a possibility IMO), but that would still validate his claim.

Sony must see the Wii U as an excuse to keep prices up and extend the PS3 lifecycle.

I fear PS4 chances next year....really...

honestly this.

by the look of it. i really think i am going xbox solo next gen. they seems not to get their shit together. what a total fail :/

Already happening with NSMB 2.
There are a ton of variables as to why it happened and given the series huge legs it will probably sell over 2 million outselling the games he listed combined. Two major variables being that there are 2 NSMB titles launching this year and NSMB2 was a cheap cash in. Meanwhile NSMBU has spent 3 years in development. Its a wait and see. I as many others expected decline admittedly not as bad as NSMB2 has been performing but I think waiting and seeing is the best approach. Every mainline 2D Mario game(not counting YI) has sold at least 20 million WW. Given 6 titles and over 25 years of precedence; I think NSMB2 can be viewed as the exception not the rule(it still will sell for years as well). I wouldn't be surprised if NSMBU performs as bad or worse than NSMB2 but I don't expect it to in the long run. Given that its a launch title and the nature of the series it won't sell as big initially as previous iterations.

goomba

Banned

What the fuck? Your a chump if you want a more powerful console with features and games not available on ps3 ?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
To be fair, anyone who buys a system at launch is a chump to some degree. But if you can't wait for the games it will have, then there's no reason for judgment.

Sony has some very, very strong software coming out. Stuff like Beyond, God of War 4, and the Last of Us. I haven't seen anything out of Nintendo that remotely approaches those titles and Nintendo doesn't have the built in fanbase the PS3 has.

TDLink

Sony has some very, very strong software coming out. Stuff like Beyond, God of War 4, and the Last of Us. I haven't seen anything out of Nintendo that remotely approaches those titles and Nintendo doesn't have the built in fanbase the PS3 has.

Couldn't someone want those titles on their PS3 and also want to buy a Wii U for its exclusives like Mario, Zombi U, Wonderful 101, and Bayonetta 2?

I mean...I know I'm in that situation. Frankly, you couldn't pump Last of Us into my veins fast enough. But uh, is that not allowed?

iammeiam

Gemüsepizza;42303901 said:
Who says there won't be a PS3 price drop right before Wii U will launch?

There's like a two-week gap between the new PS3s and the Wii U. There's no way Sony's dropping the price on the new PS3 models after two weeks.

Gemüsepizza;42303901 said:
Who says there won't be a PS3 price drop right before Wii U will launch?

You don't announce a new console (variant) with a high price, if you intend to sell it for less a few weeks after launch.

Personally I think Sony are happy to concede to Nintendo, and retrieve as much profit from the PS3 before the PS4 arrives.

Nintendo has some very, very strong software coming out. Stuff like NSMB.U, Bayonetta 2, SSB4, Monster Hunter, DQ X, and The Wonderful 101. I haven't seen anything out of Sony that remotely approaches those titles and Sony doesn't have the built in fanbase Nintendo has.

Woah

Top Bottom