• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soccer tournament bans 8-year-old girl's team because she 'looks like a boy'

jmizzal

Nebraska soccer tournament bans 8-year-old girl's team because she 'looks like a boy'

"The family of an 8-year-old soccer player said her team was disqualified from a tournament in Nebraska because organizers thought she was a boy.

Mili Hernandez, who is one of the best players on the Omaha Azzuri Cachorros' 11-year-old squad, was about to play in the finals of the Springfield Soccer Club tournament on Sunday when she was told that her team had been disqualified because she "looks like a boy."

Hernandez's parents said they showed organizers her insurance card to prove that their daughter, who wears her hair short, is a girl.

"Just because I look like a boy doesn't mean I am a boy," Mili Hernandez told local TV station WOWT 6. "They don't have a reason to kick the whole club out."

Mili's father, Gerardo Hernandez, said his daughter "was in shock. She was crying after they told us ... They made her cry."

After receiving the news about the disqualification four hours before kickoff, Gerardo Hernandez showed tournament officials Mili's health insurance card to prove she's a girl, but "they didn't even want to take it," he said."

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/ar...old-girl-team-looks-boy?addata=espn:frontpage

That sounds pretty dumb

SKINNER!

Banned
ij8HiC8.jpg

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
At 8 years old not only is it hard to tell, especially without markers, but it wouldnt even matter physiologically if it was a boy or girl, there would be no advantage, hell because women start puberty earlier, if this was a year or two later its entirely possible the women would be in a more physically advantageous position.

Nothing about this makes sense.

What? That's ridiculous. Even if she was a boy why ban the whole team and not just him? When they realized she was actually a girl did they unban the team?

Redd

She's 8 years old. When did kids sports get so serious to ban a team even when they had proof she's a girl.

So the other team won the tournament by default? Officials deserved to be criticized but I also wonder who made the claim in the first place.

azyless

Some pro/ex-pro players have spoken about this on Twitter. Wambach wanted to call their president or something.
It's not like it even matters. When I started playing we played against/with boys all the time, no one should give a shit about 10 year olds not being seperated by gender, there's literally no difference at all.

At 8 years old not only is it hard to tell, especially without markers, but it wouldnt even matter physiologically if it was a boy or girl, there would be no advantage, hell because women start puberty earlier, if this was a year or two later its entirely possible the women would be in a more physically advantageous position.

Nothing about this makes sense.

Yup, these people are dumb.

What? That's ridiculous. Even if she was a boy why ban the whole team and not just him? When they realized she was actually a girl did they unban the team?

See:

After receiving the news about the disqualification four hours before kickoff, Gerardo Hernandez showed tournament officials Mili's health insurance card to prove she's a girl, but "they didn't even want to take it," he said."

Utter fucking bullshit. God, people are such pieces of shit.

azyless

i mean... how hard was it to check?
I hope you just mean asking for an identification paper (which the parents did provide) and not submitting an 8 year old to some humiliating "check" just because One Million Moms over there still have issues with the fact that women and girls can have short hair.

Redd

There's a lot of parents that get way too into this shit.

All I'm saying is we got participation trophies at that age when I was growing up. Kids are playing a team sport while exercising. That's a win and parents shouldn't be trying to ban kids because of their shitty competitiveness.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Fuck the assholes that thought this was an issue and those who made the decision to ban the whole team.

Keep being awesome, Mili.

Raven117

This is obvious. Parents on a team that this girl and her team trounced started beetching (as sports parents tend to do) why their kid should have won the game and they picked on the best player on the other team because she looks like a boy....

What a silly situation that could devastating effects on this child.

I hope you just mean asking for an identification paper (which the parents did provide) and not submitting an 8 year old to some humiliating "check" just because One Million Moms over there still have issues with the fact that women and girls can have short hair.

By check, you mean check with her parents right? Or the sign up form? Right?

ho man, didn't realize the other meaning when i wrote that, haha, sorry about that! of course i meant check with her parents, or with the team trainers or an ID

It's becoming clearer too me that I shouldn't have a kid because there are too many fucking inconsiderate, daft adults that I'd end up smacking

LCGeek

formerly sane
Does this even get to something as modern as transphobia? Seems to be straight out of the "little girls can't wear pants" era of 60 years ago.

Its the flipside of something I've experienced as a transperson. Others said it better it's gender policing which I find to be incredibly dangerous when it reaches this point.

My daughter was physically accosted trying to go into a women's bathroom a few years ago because she enjoyed dressing and looking like a boy. Nothing even transgender about it, but it was the final push I needed to stop supporting conservative causes.

Opposing team's parents are trash, and so is the organizer.

Haribi

Why isn't there a Star Wars RPG? And wouldn't James Bond make for a pretty good FPS?
Girls at that age are not inferior physically to boys so even if she were a boy, she would not have an advantage over the other girls.

Misha

Banned
Does this even get to something as modern as transphobia? Seems to be straight out of the "little girls can't wear pants" era of 60 years ago.

its related even though its not the same thing. if you don't fit the very thin and arbitrary definition of what a woman is then you aren't one

reminds me of my dad complaining about how some of my sister's competition in high school soccer looked like men. of course there was also the racist angle where it was often black girls

The utter stupidity of people never ceases to amaze me.

i mean... how hard was it to check?

As hard as accepting a legal document from the girl's parents brought to them in person, but the dimwits couldn't even figure that out. Probably shouldn't be organizing sporting events.

Also, friends, let's not forget how marginalized the family was in this. This wasn't a mistake or error, and it wasn't just the opposing team's shitty parents. This wasn't even a mix-up of gender. The organizers themselves had something specifically against this girl playing to double down even when faced with proof, because there's no way this was just about as easily-corrected an assumption as what gender she was.

Lord Fagan

She's 8 years old. When did kids sports get so serious to ban a team even when they had proof she's a girl.

You ain't ever seen South Park?

Little kids don't give a fuck about team sports, they'd rather be playing video games. This is about parents being unable to let go of the past, vicariously using their children to cope with aging, and then taking any public opportunity big or small to make a horrible scene as any helicopter parenting asshole trying to recapture the glory days of grade school is wont to do.

Mimosa97

You just know that there is a bunch of hateful soccer moms behind this. They wanted their daughters' team to win at all cost and they smh succeeded. Doesn't matter to them if they ruined a girl's life as long as they get to post on facebook that their kid got to lift the trophy.

Top Bottom