• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Soccer tournament bans 8-year-old girl's team because she 'looks like a boy'

azyless

You ain't ever seen South Park?

Little kids don't give a fuck about team sports, they'd rather be playing video games. This is about parents being unable to let go of the past, vicariously using their children to cope with aging, and then taking any public opportunity big or small to make a horrible scene as any helicopter parenting asshole trying to recapture the glory days of grade school is wont to do.
What ? This is a ridiculous claim.

Ugh, awful. She's a very androgynous kid, sure, but that's an awesome and positive thing.

I hope she sticks with her style, there are way too few adult women who feel comfortable dressing/looking masculine because of this sort of nonsense.

Little kids don't give a fuck about team sports, they'd rather be playing video games

I loved playing soccer every summer wjen I was a kid though.

It's not like I didn't also play video games 🙄

Anyway this is a total what the fuck situation. The kid is a girl, the most proof you can ask for was provided. Why the fuck get the team disqualified? That isn't even fun for the kids. They would actually want to play.

Little kids don't give a fuck about team sports, they'd rather be playing video games. This is about parents being unable to let go of the past, vicariously using their children to cope with aging, and then taking any public opportunity big or small to make a horrible scene as any helicopter parenting asshole trying to recapture the glory days of grade school is wont to do.

This is some dumb shit.

Redd

Not me. Used to love playing soccer and baseball because after the game we usually got pizza or something on top of having fun with your friends.

SheHateMe

So, yeah, I have to start saving up bail money and lawyer fees.

You're going to punish my child for not conforming to your "ideas" about how a little girl should look? And not only my child, but all the other children on the team? All because our team was gonna wipe the floor with yours? (I know that wasn't stated, but come on. We all know who made the call.)

Nah, disqualify me for shoving a soccer ball down your throat.

I hope this gets overturned and they still have to have their match, just so she can have a breakout game and win it all.

I would then dress up as a soccer ball and run into one of the league officials. Repeatedly.

Kodros

Fucking lol, what is this? Little kids don't care about baths, shitting themselves, and eating candy all day either.

Kids totally care about team sports because it's fun. As a parent, you should be enforcing it so that your kid learns how to be a team player and have somewhere to focus the insane amounts of energy kids have.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
She's 8. It's not always easy to tell at that age. Her partners provided proof. It's ridiculous that they disqualified not only her, but her entire team.

When I was eight I enjoyed team sports

But then again I dont get my world view from South Park

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
That poor girl. As a tomboy myself this hits really close to home. I've not been mistaken for a boy ever since I kept my hair long, but as a kid I wore it short a few times and... yeah. Ridiculous.

When I was eight I enjoyed team sports

But then again I dont get my world view from South Park

Savage lol

That's the thing though. Shitty parents would rather kick and scream to get the other team DQed if they can manage.That's why awful stories like this happen.

what kinda parents are you to and setting the example to your own kids that judgement like this is okay

JoeBoy101

After receiving the news about the disqualification four hours before kickoff, Gerardo Hernandez showed tournament officials Mili's health insurance card to prove she's a girl, but "they didn't even want to take it," he said."

Ahhh, the classic 'Dig in our heels' whenever shown clearly that they have made a mistake. Never back up, always double down. Fucking ridiculous. This could have been handled by the tourney like 5 separate ways better, even if they DID think she was a boy.

And that ignores them making that distinction without even bothering to have any facts other than "What do they look like?"

Infuriating.

This is ridiculously false. Come on, man.

I understand she looks like a boy, but she's fucking 8 years old. Does it even matter at eight years old? Is there still a competitive advantage for males at eight years old??? Why is there even an all girls soccer team to begin with for 8 year olds?

So many questions.

So ok they ask for proof and get it...that's where it goes way overboard imo. You get the proof and just ignore it anyway? And not only that but ban the whole team?? WHY???

Anyone involved in that asinine decision should be named and shamed.

They probably made that kid feel like complete shit. An 8 year old kid.

Ugh.

Zemm

How stupid are they to think it even matters if she's a boy or girl at that age? There's zero physical difference.

DBT85

“Wrong, wrong, absolutely brimming over with wrongability” - Ace Rimmer

I've witnessed parents do and say incredibly stupid things when there's a possibility their kid might just not the best player out there. I think there's a good chance this was a bunch of petty losers who didn't want to see their kid be upstaged by someone 2-3 years younger.

edit: Oh, it was an issue with the documentation.

Clearos

Poor girl, all this for a tournament for kids.

hqdefault.jpg

First thing that came to mind.

Blue Lou

People seem to have been misled on this.

The team filed a document with the Nebraska State Soccer Association / tournament organizers listing the 8 year old as a boy on the roster.

It had nothing to do with appearance.

Why they didn't simply correct the roster and let the team play, I don't know.

The NSSA released a statement condemning the tournament organizers.

Nivash

FFS, 8-year old boys and girls barely look any different. It's way before puberty hits most of them. The entire thing about girls being supposed to wear long hair and boys short (and all the other genderised fashion stuff) is so that you can tell them apart because that's important to people for some reason.

Also, in my quest to prove this I google image searched "8 year old boy long hair". I'm pretty sure I'm on a watch list now. So fuck you very much for that, Springfield Soccer Club.

EDIT: Also, the two "related content" links I got on the article are both about female athletes posing nude. Real classy, ESPN.

FFS, 8-year old boys and girls barely look any different. It's way before puberty hits most of them. The entire thing about girls being supposed to wear long hair and boys short (and all the other genderised fashion stuff) is so that you can tell them apart because that's important to people for some reason.

Also, in my quest to prove this I google image searched "8 year old boy long hair". I'm pretty sure I'm on a watch list now. So fuck you very much for that, Springfield Soccer Club.

EDIT: Also, the two "related content" links I got on the article are both about female athletes posing nude. Real classy, ESPN.
chris-hansen.jpg

Has no one paid attention to the fact that she's only 8 and playing on a team of 11 yr olds? And playing against 11 year olds?? Boy or girl, she doesn't have an advantage over them in body size or strength, she's just really good at playing.
Mili Hernandez, who is one of the best players on the Omaha Azzuri Cachorros' 11-year-old squad, was about to play in the finals of the Springfield Soccer Club tournament on Sunday when she was told that her team had been disqualified because she "looks like a boy."

Caja 117

The team filed a document with the Nebraska State Soccer Association / tournament organizers listing the 8 year old as a boy on the roster.

They can use this as the scapegoat, but an error made to identify if its a Girl or a Boy that can be quickly be reviewed and corrected shouldn't end up in a whole team getting disqualified, no to mention the Girl basically end up with the experience that her choice of looks could just get her into trouble.

Everyone looks the same at that age. It was crazy for the officials to listen to the complaint and even crazier for them to kick her out after being provided with proof. I blame transphobia.

Alucrid

Banned

not really

Someone had complained that Achurros had a boy on their team — his short-haired daughter, Mili.

Mo Farivari, the president of Azzurri Soccer club, which includes Mili’s team, said the complaint was amplified by a typo on a registration form, which listed Mili as a boy. But another form listed her as a girl — and she was playing on an all-girls team and is, in fact, a girl. So Farivari thought the problem would be easily straightened out.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-she-looks-like-a-boy/?utm_term=.c0e50a64950c

ElRenoRaven

WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!?!

Seriously what the ever living fuck! I can see wanting to keep boys out of a girls tournament but if they have proof she's a fucking girl you take the goddamn proof and let them play you assholes. What they did is just disgusting.

cromofo

Ehh I would have a hard time guessing if it's a boy or a girl.

But what they did crossed the line. After being provided with proof, they should've accepted it and moved on.

.JayZii

Banned

I think you should watch less South Park.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Its the flipside of something I've experienced as a transperson. Others said it better it's gender policing which I find to be incredibly dangerous when it reaches this point.
I think you are over thinking it. If she wasn't one of the best players on her team, no-one would have cared. They could have had a whole team of boys and as long as they were shit at soccer they would have been given a pass. If she was a girl but looked older than the age requirement (and was good) someone would have likely challenged. It's crazy over involved parents, being crazy and over-involved.

Breads

Banned
This story just reminded thousands of Americans that soccer is a thing

You might be confusing commercial popularity with actual physical engagement.

As far as recreational play goes I feel like soccer is much more commonly played.

PSqueak

Banned
This is like, advanced transphobia, a level so high of transphobia that they target cis kids who kinda look like the opposite gender.

What, why would

"Hernandez"

Found the problem.

And plays for a team called "cachorros", someone had to stop that concentrated display of Latinocity!

Top Bottom