• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE Live 2013 - EverQuest Next Thread: Return of the Sandbox [free2play]

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
hmm...not on ustream? does this mean twitch coming to ps4?
Nah, it doesn't mean anything. SOE has been using Twitch for some of their dev streams for about a year now even though SCEA/SCEE/SCEJ continue to use Ustream. Shortly after they started using it all their streams dumped their old stream host, Stickam, for Twitch.

They do have some sort of partnership in place to integrate the Twitch SDK in their games though. So far I think only Planetside 2 PC has used it, no word yet if they'll bother using it for their PS4 ports.

Wallach

Yep, I want to be a local hero, I want to save a village and have them come to rely on me. If I want to be a goddamn logger out in the middle of nowhere and supply a town with firewood, let me do it!

What I'm really interested in is whether they will let players also become the villains. Not a faction system, or something bound up in a lot of system rules. Just make it possible.

I hope this game is a nightmare for people that "don't want PvP in their PvE". I want PvE to mean player versus everything.

Ashodin

What I'm really interested in is whether they will let players also become the villains. Not a faction system, or something bound up in a lot of system rules. Just make it possible.

I hope this game is a nightmare for people that "don't want PvP in their PvE". I want PvE to mean player versus everything.

So long as it is plausible to get caught by guards and/or become hunted, I'm all for that. There should be consequences to your actions.

Jira

Yep, I'm hoping for a rep system like UO and EVE where you can become KOS due to your actions and even place bounties on people. Really all I want is EVE on the ground with some innovative systems and I'm done.

Apath

They won't exist, that type of gameplay has been dead for a decade or more now.
Mobs won't chase players or other players won't have to worry about mobs that are chasing other players? Both scenarios are less than optimal for ideal MMO gameplay--in my opinion.

Can see me dumping a hell of a lot of time in to this if it hits the PS4 and is F2P, big games like EQ I'd have no problem with the business model as long as not everything is locked behind a pay wall and you can go about 80% of the game without needing to be nickle and dimed.

Jira

Mobs won't chase players or other layers won't have to worry about mobs that are chasing players? Both scenarios are less than optimal for ideal MMO gameplay--in my opinion.

Well sure, but based on what they've said about Storybricks and AI I get the feeling it might feel a lot more real rather than run for 15 sec and then leash. I think enemies may react to your actions and then give chase in a far more personal manner like I stole this guys weapon and now he's pissed and will stop at nothing to kill me to get it back. I think they're aiming to take the gamey aspect out of the game in that sense.

Rixa

I just hope that there is going to be server(s) without PVP. PVE is the thing for me. I dont like backstabbers or the constantly fearing being killed by other player. Ill die from my own mistakes (or party mistakes etc).

Apath

Well sure, but based on what they've said about Storybricks and AI I get the feeling it might feel a lot more real rather than run for 15 sec and then leash. I think enemies may react to your actions and then give chase in a far more personal manner like I stole this guys weapon and now he's pissed and will stop at nothing to kill me to get it back. I think they're aiming to take the gamey aspect out of the game in that sense.
That sounds way too in depth and fantastic to be real.

Jira

That sounds way too in depth and fantastic to be real.

Well think of it in single player terms...say Skyrim..you steal something and an NPC reacts and tries to kill you right? That can be applied to an MMO without any issues. They're using this tech called Storybricks where AI will have states for each individual player.

Here's a demo from the team who makes Storybricks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3b_3UGc7Es

Now imagine something like that but more expanded and developed by a AAA studio with years of time to implement and expand upon. AI is a really big focus in EQN.

GW2 was good but not the third wave MMO we need. Not that it claimed to be something it wasn't; it was always promoted around targeting and fixing issues with the post-WoW MMO.

I really hope EQN will pull this off. We've yet to see an MMORPG sandbox that is simultaneously deep and accessible.

We haven't had a good sandbox in TEN YEARS (EVE/SWG). SoE is in the right place at the right time, all they need is the right product and they are going to see massive success because people have been clamoring for something that isn't a themepark for a while now.

Never played a non-themepark MMO, so definitely interested.

F2P sure drastically lowers the barrier to try it out.

I'm excited.

Ashodin

I just hope that there is going to be server(s) without PVP. PVE is the thing for me. I dont like backstabbers or the constantly fearing being killed by other player. Ill die from my own mistakes (or party mistakes etc).
Don't know if there will be set server types, but there most likely will be safe areas akin to EVE.

Bundy

Banned
Bring back the glory of the EverQuest (1) era and I will be there DAY 1!

EverQest (done right) is pure crack!
If you think WoW "was" addicting, you should have played EQ1.

Can't wait / Will be at the SOE Live Event ^_^

Eteric Rice

Cannot wait. Was an avid EQ1 player for years, and even played EQII for a while.

No game has ever filled the void that EQ1 had left.

Squire

Banned
I really hope this brings back the glory days of SWG; that game gave players an huge palette of options when it came to interacting with the world and each other. You could very easily focus entirely on social or crafting elements and have an experience no less fulfilling than someone who was in combat all the time. It had player-driven EVERYTHING, which is a real rarity now.

That's the kind of experience I want from an MMO. The itch that something like Animal Crossing scratches, but with the social aspect. And in a fantasy setting!

Hoping they're also putting this on PS4. PS2 and DCUO are happening, so I imagine this will as well.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
I've never played EverQuest. In fact, the only MMO's I've spent much (very little by comparison to fans) time with are DC Universe Online, Champions Online, and RuneScape.

But what they're saying here is very intriguing. Very, very intriguing. Color me... intrigued.

I just hope it's not going to be a WoWzer quest shopping-list game.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Pretty intrigued about Everquest Next and what else SOE have up there sleeves for next gen. But with Planetside 2 being announced for PS4, I thought a while back DC Universe was trying to be on Xbox 360 but due to the closed nature of Xbox Live and it being subscription based there was to many road blocks.

Seeing as SOE are obviously Sony owned but still want to be competing against other MMO's of this nature whether it be FPSMMO/MMORPG do you think SOE stuff is more open to be on Xbox One as of all the changes Microsoft are making for Next Gen?

Say the Steambox comes out Planetside 2 will be playable on that as too competing MMO's, Just thinking from SOE's standpoint they obviously want PS4 to do well but there main concern might be getting there product reaching as many consumers as possible.

maverick40

Pretty intrigued about Everquest Next and what else SOE have up there sleeves for next gen. But with Planetside 2 being announced for PS4, I thought a while back DC Universe was trying to be on Xbox 360 but due to the closed nature of Xbox Live and it being subscription based there was to many road blocks.

Seeing as SOE are obviously Sony owned but still want to be competing against other MMO's of this nature whether it be FPSMMO/MMORPG do you think SOE stuff is more open to be on Xbox One as of all the changes Microsoft are making for Next Gen?

Say the Steambox comes out Planetside 2 will be playable on that as too competing MMO's, Just thinking from SOE's standpoint they obviously want PS4 to do well but there main concern might be getting there product reaching as many consumers as possible.

That is a very good question actually. Because they are sub company of Sony, I'd say they will stay exclusive to Sony platforms and pc

Jira

I've never played EverQuest. In fact, the only MMO's I've spent much (very little by comparison to fans) time with are DC Universe Online, Champions Online, and RuneScape.

But what they're saying here is very intriguing. Very, very intriguing. Color me... intrigued.

I just hope it's not going to be a WoWzer quest shopping-list game.

Sandboxes are inherently the anti-themepark so no it's not going to be even remotely close to WoW. Don't expect any levels, classes, quests, or hand holding. Nothing but sweet freedom to do whatever you want. Emergent gameplay crafted by player interactions is the name of the game. Here's two examples of stuff that has happened in EVE over the years. I can say is it undoubtedly unlike anything you've read or experienced in gaming (unless you've played a sandbox MMO).

Story 1

On February 4, 2009, Band of Brothers ceased to exist as an alliance, violently disbanded in the most destructive act of espionage in the history of online gaming. Shortly thereafter the three-year long Great War was at an end with Goonswarm and the anti-BoB forces (Notably including Pandemic Legion and the old Northern Coalition) victorious and living in Delve, BoB’s former home. The end of the Great War - a most bitter conflict of extinction with more than 40,000 pilots on each side - brought the defining narrative of nullsec in Eve in that era to an abrupt close. Yet if it wasn’t for an unexpected flash of insight while munching on a croissant one afternoon while I was bored at my office, BoB would never have been disbanded, and the Great War might have reached an altogether different conclusion.

At first, it was just going to be a bog-standard ‘smash and grab’. A Goonswarm member, Tamir Lenk, had recruitment scammed an alt of a Band of Brothers director named Haargoth Agamar from Black Nova Corp. In a mere three days on the other side, Haargoth realized that he’d had more fun in Goonswarm than months being at the top level in Band of Brothers.

Rather than having his alt kicked, Haargoth offered to come in from the cold, revealing himself to be a high-level director in Band of Brothers, much to the surprise of everyone. Not merely a director, but someone with ‘full director’ access in Tin Foil, the executor holding corp tying Band of Brothers together.

In 2009, espionage was everything in Eve Online; a highly-placed spy could offline control towers and hand over system sovereignty, as well as stealing everything not nailed down in his corporation hangars. Haargoth was the highest-level defector Goonswarm had seen, but at first the Goonswarm Intelligence Agency didn’t realize the extent of its capability to ruin BoB with Haargoth. Since Haargoth was defecting, there was no obvious warning sign to BoB or risk that he would be prematurely ‘burned’, yet at the same time we wanted to strike as soon as possible in order to ensure that Haargoth didn’t have second thoughts about his defection.

To plan the sabotage out properly - to think clearly through the nervousness the opportunity caused - we tried to game out every angle, finding the stockpiles of Black Nova Corp capitals in hangars across Delve such that they could be wiped out in the fastest possible way. A smash and grab ends the moment the spy is noticed and a director can be found to yank the agent’s roles, but Haargoth would have more time than most - an actual CEO would be required to remove his ‘full director’ status. Yet while Haargoth was a ‘full director’ in Tin Foil, the executor corp, he was only a ‘director’ in Black Nova, meaning that his access could be yanked from BNC the moment a host of full directors like Lady Scarlet noticed something was amiss. Hmm...

I wish I could claim that it was all part of a master plan hatched out of my experience with espionage and Machiavellianism, but the truth is that in 2009 ‘disband an alliance with a spy’ had never been done; it wasn’t part of the standard playbook. It came to me in an abrupt flash, like a voice outside of myself, unplotted: using Haargoth’s Tin Foil full director, we could individually kick out every single corporation from Band of Brothers, shut down the alliance, and then immediately create a new corporation called ‘Band of Brothers’ ourselves, not merely annihilating Band of Brothers but literally stealing their name forever. Absolute devastation.

We pulled the trigger, and it worked - insult to injury, we also ran a smash and grab on the Black Nova Corporation hangars and dread caches. In each now-empty hangar, Haargoth left a bookmark labelled ‘The Mittani Sends His Regards’, and then swiped the BNC and Tin Foil wallets for good measure.

The loss of the alliance would completely remove BoB sovereignty across the galaxy map, leaving their famous ‘Fortress Delve’ with its invulnerable Sov 4 constellations swept aside. In one stroke, no cynojammers, no jump bridges, nothing: all ex-BoB territory would become a completely vulnerable wasteland, begging for invasion.

Which Goonswarm promptly did.

BoB tried to recover by pushing all their corporations into a temporary alliance called ‘KenZoku’, but without their sov defenses to guard them, it was all over but the screaming. Goonswarm abandoned all its territory in the galactic east - nearly eight regions worth - to invade and occupy the land of their old foe, with Pandemic Legion and the Northern Coalition playing primary roles in twisting the knife. By April, what was once Band of Brothers was now Goonswarm’s, and the Great War was over.

Story 2

This is the story of the Guiding Hand Social Club's most publicized contract.

Our target; Mirial - CEO of Ubiqua Seraph and executor of the Aegis Militia alliance. Over a period of many months our operatives infiltrated UQS and laid the groundwork for a sudden and comprehensive strike.
This strike resulted in the destruction of Mirial's finest spacefaring vessel, the theft of all of UQS's assets (including a decent T2 BPO collection) and most importantly the acquisition of a Mirial corpse for our employer.

It all started with a grudge, our employer really disliked Mirial, I believe this went as far back as events in EVE's beta, and they continued to have unpleasant experiences with each other in retail, backstabbings and such.
At any rate he was quite wealthy and decided to unleash us against his despised enemy in exchange for a hefty up front payment of 1 billion ISK, a paltry sum today but quite significant at the time, particularly for a relatively low profile albeit very experienced small group of mercenery griefers.

Arenis Xemdal was our primary infiltrator and the first operative to join Ubiqua Seraph, he was a smart guy and a skilled pvper, a much better eve player than anyone in UQS, and as a result he quickly earned their respect, and started his ascent through the ranks.

To hasten the process I joined up on my main character Tyrrax Thorrk, being a celebrity at the time in the Amarr roleplayer community, and this being an Amarr roleplayer corporation they made me a director after a mere 9 days, but I was only there to make Arenis look good and generally support him.

We did this among other things by using my minmatar slave Hamish with whom I had managed to infiltrate the High Council of Ushra'Khan, the strongest Minmatar roleplayer alliance at the time, and sworn enemy of Ubiqua Seraph - with Hamish spying on and in some cases even leading their fleets they never had much success when facing Arenis or Tyrrax led UQS forces, and whenever U'K faced UQS without one of us present it went poorly for UQS, reinforcing our status as war heroes.

Arenis also got the notorious griefers in m0o corp to go to war with Ubiqua Seraph , no joking matter since they were basically the scariest corporation in EVE at the time. We then "rescued" UQS from m0o by making the problem go away. (he was a member of m0o corp on his main character DigitalCommunist at the time)

Eventually the time was right, I had done my job and left the corporation on Tyrrax so my ~honourable~ reputation wouldn't be tainted, Arenis Xemdal was now Mirial's most trusted director and lieutenant and acknowledged by all to be their best pvper and overall eve player, so when he suggested they unlock their entire blueprint collection and move it to a better staging system, they immediately agreed and chose him to move them, he had also borrowed 2 billion ISK from Mirial to purchase an Imperial Issue Apocalypse, one of the rarest and most valuable limited issue ships in the game and the kind of ship most EVE players wouldn't even consider undocking in (We of course always pvped in ours, unwisely in some cases heh).

After getting several GH-SC members into UQS to steal everything simultaneously we convinced Mirial to fly his most expensive ship, a Navy Issue Apocalypse alongside Arenis's Imperial Issue Apocalypse in a show of force (and for pretty screenshots).
After a slight hiccup where Uuve Savisaalo spooked Mirial the go word "Nicole" was issued. At this synchonised signal, our agents stole all of UQS's corporate assets, replacing them with notes taking credit, marking the thefts as the handiwork of the Guiding Hand Social Club.

Arenis Xemdal, Uuve Savisaalo and I (as Zeraph Dregamon this time) proceeded to engage and destroy Mirial's pimped out Navy Issue Apocalypse.
Arenis skillfully smartbombed the capsule when it appeared, scooped the corpse and the heist was successfully concluded - to our employers great satisfaction.

Hostile assets acquired:

- Modulated Deep Core Miner II BPO
- Covert Ops Cloak II BPO
- Armageddon BPO
- Prophecy BPO
- Malediction BPO
- Arkonor Crystal II BPO
- Scordite Crystal II BPO
- Numerous lesser tech II BPOs

- A few billion ISK in minerals.
- 717 million taken from corporate wallet.
- Two billion taken under the guise of a loan from the executor.

Hostile assets destroyed:

- One pimped out Amarr Navy Apocalypse.
- One capsule, belonging to Mirial, known to possess a head full of expensive implants.
- One dream.

Istvaan Shogaatsu published a press release on the eve forums and later spoke to a journalist from PC gamer UK, which resulted in a very successful 4 page article about the heist with an additional 2 pages comparing EVE to WOW.
What followed was an insane amount of media coverage; the New York Times, Der Spiegel, Slashdot, The Escapist and many other sites and magazines ran stories about our little heist.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jira, that's all kinds of awesome!

Lord Phol

All these threads about EQ Next and MMOs in general has enlightened me on why I'm having such a hard time getting into MMOs again, like SWTOR and GW2. It's because Im tired of the same old theme-park stuff, I crave sandbox entertainment.

Never played and EQ game, but I'm hyped, and all I'm really asking for to draw me in is REAL world PvP. Let me murder poor wanderers in the forest, defend myself against malicious thieves, give me that adrenaline rush you can only get from spontaenous player versus player encounter. 2/8 Show me the way SOE.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
Sandboxes are inherently the anti-themepark so no it's not going to be even remotely close to WoW. Don't expect any levels, classes, quests, or hand holding. Nothing but sweet freedom to do whatever you want. Emergent gameplay crafted by player interactions is the name of the game. Here's two examples of stuff that has happened in EVE over the years. I can say is it undoubtedly unlike anything you've read or experienced in gaming (unless you've played a sandbox MMO).

Ah, wonderful. Reminds me of time spent on Garrysmod Roleplaying servers. The stuff that happens in those is extremely player driven. It's probably why I've got 300+ hours clocked in that, while I've got less than two days in any given MMO. If EverQuest Next is anything like that, I'm in.

Jira

Jira, that's all kinds of awesome!

Yeah, it reads more like real life than a video game. EVE really gives you this feeling of being in the future of our own timeline and you're this single person in a greater web of players all affecting each other even if they're on the other side of the game world. Since the ENTIRE economy is player driven (the only thing an NPC sells are some skill books), it means that a war that you don't even see or hear about can/will have an impact on the economy or even the game space you play in and therefore an impact on your gameplay experience. When I played I was podded once (means someone ganked me, blew up my ship, took my stuff and then killed my "soul"). After that if I saw anyone jumping into the same system as me twice in a row I started getting insanely paranoid. When you get podded you roll back to a previous "save state" based on how much insurance you had purchased. So if you didn't purchase an insurance policy greater than the amount of skill points you currently had, you lost those points and therefore time that is impossible to get back.

Everything in EVE costs time since that's how skills are learned. You quickly learn to not fly anything you cannot afford to replace. I really never would have quit EVE if the combat didn't bore me to tears, granted I never got into PvP out of fear but oh well. This is why I'm looking forward to EQN, even if it's exactly what EVE is in a fantasy setting with an character I have direct control over, it will be enough.

Never played a EverQuest game, was close to start playing EQ2 but stayed with FFXI. If this comes to PS4 and is F2P I'm definitely playing it.

V_Arnold

Everything in EVE costs time since that's how skills are learned. You quickly learn to not fly anything you cannot afford to replace. I really never would have quit EVE if the combat didn't bore me to tears, granted I never got into PvP out of fear but oh well. This is why I'm looking forward to EQN, even if it's exactly what EVE is in a fantasy setting with an character I have direct control over, it will be enough.

In the WoW thread, I just expressed that I want an EVE with a fantasy setting. If EQN delivers that, I will build an altar for it.

Anno

Subscribed to EQ from launch until 2008, so I'm heavily invested here. Don't let me down, Smed. PS2 has given me hope that they can do a great f2p game without being too nickle and dimey.

Sophia

If this is a true sandbox MMO and remotely lives up to Smedley's claims, this is going to be a real game changer. I'm skeptical of some of his claims tho, given he's exaggerated in the past. This is also the same SOE that basically nickel and dimed Everquest 2 to death so... :\

I am really hoping the exceed my expectations here.

KKRT00

It was not exactly as described here :) I was there. Goonswarm wasnt pulling the strings, Pandemic Legion was, Goonswarm was actually threated as 3rd world citizen and rightefully so, because their players [except high management] are uber terrible. At the end of long campaign Goonswarm only had few less important regions and one important region, rest of coalition took over better regions. After few weeks they had problems defending those regions, it was amazing PVP region, because of NPCs distributed all over Delve and Aridia.

http://www.bu-fu.org/kb/?a=pilot_detail&plt_id=40833&view=kills&page=3
My killboard from this period :)

Very awesome war, one of the best i've been in.
--
Subscribed and hyped for Everquest Next :)

Ashodin

If this is a true sandbox MMO and remotely lives up to Smedley's claims, this is going to be a real game changer. I'm skeptical of some of his claims tho, given he's exaggerated in the past. This is also the same SOE that basically nickel and dimed Everquest 2 to death so... :

I am really hoping the exceed my expectations here.
Remember, they scrapped the game twice because it wasn't radical enough.

Somnia

Just to clear something up, classes are already confirmed. One of their everquest next panels is all about EQN's classes.

Top Bottom