• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SOE Live 2013 - EverQuest Next Thread: Return of the Sandbox [free2play]

Staab

That kind of doesn't mean anything, it could be a skill based class system, a derivative class system, a fixed class system...
Of course there's going to be different "types" but class in itself doesn't mean much.

Ashodin

Could be a feint, could be just "archetypes". Could be similar to Path of Exile, where they are more baselines instead of hard rules.

I also hope the holy trinity is gone here too.

Somnia

Well im calling it that it will have traditional classes, but how they are handled who knows.

Maybe like XIV where you can learn everything? We shall see

V_Arnold

Could be a feint, could be just "archetypes". Could be similar to Path of Exile, where they are more baselines instead of hard rules.

I also hope the holy trinity is gone here too.

Hah. I hope that holy trinity and classes stay. Those are things that work well. GW2 tried to escape the holy trinity, and it failed spectacularly.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
Everquest meets Eve? Dang, this should be interesting.

I had a year /played in the original EQ.

Hah. I hope that holy trinity and classes stay. Those are things that work well. GW2 tried to escape the holy trinity, and it failed spectacularly.

Yup, I didn't mind. I was the crazy enchanter. I thought that class was well designed. It's not really a bad thing having a clear role to play.

Hmm, F2P is going to mean lots of multiboxing, although PVP helps counter that a bit.

Jarnet87

I hope they stream all the EQ Next info, not just the reveal. My body is ready to soak in EQN all weekend if it streamed.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
I hope they stream all the EQ Next info, not just the reveal. My body is ready to soak in EQN all weekend if it streamed.

They're not streaming all of the panels, unfortunately. They will be recording them and posting them up later. I'm sure people attending the panels will record them and put them up as quickly as possible.

KKRT00

They failed a little, they've just fucked up healing and buffing. Tanking was alright.
The worst is healing mechanics, they didnt make special items for people who want to make exclusive healers and thats was the biggest problem with GW 2.
I really like GW 2 system, because there is no other MMO where i could make a character like my Thief and as fluid, tanky bastard who would kill slowly by DoTs and could steal skills for buffs.
I havent played recently though.

---
I just spent 20 minutes looking for a hype gif and they all suck compared to how hyped I am

What about this one? :> It was fitting my hype exactly when Star Citizen was announced :p
oh-my-fucking-god-dog-gif.gif

Jarnet87

They're not streaming all of the panels, unfortunately. They will be recording them and posting them up later. I'm sure people attending the panels will record them and put them up as quickly as possible.

That sucks. Well maybe we will get some of them, or worst case it will probably be the big reveal only.

I don't think they will do Archetypes. They tried it for EQ2 and changed it like EQ1. I could see some sort of ability to change classes, or maybe it will be similar to SWG class system.

Ashodin

Everquest meets Eve? Dang, this should be interesting.

I had a year /played in the original EQ.

Yup, I didn't mind. I was the crazy enchanter. I thought that class was well designed. It's not really a bad thing having a clear role to play.

Hmm, F2P is going to mean lots of multiboxing, although PVP helps counter that a bit.
Nah, I don't think we'll get that specialized with the classes. Having defined roles in a sandbox screams no freedom, and if the world is huge? It'll take forever to get a tank to you. I'm thinking what Iadien posted might be the case, being able to switch roles on the fly. Gw2 already does this.

SOE, take my money. Looking forward to PC/PS4 crossplay...you know it'll happen.

Great OT, I'm subscribed. :) I hope they do some kind of physical release, I want a damn collector's edition.

Ashodin

SOE, take my money. Looking forward to PC/PS4 crossplay...you know it'll happen.

Great OT, I'm subscribed. :) I hope they do some kind of physical release, I want a damn collector's edition.
Jira and I have speculated that the combat must be skill based and no hotbars, which lends itself well to controller use.

mnannola

I can't wait for the announcement, hype is at 100 percent. How will they have a sandbox world that casuals will want to play? Can they have people satisfied by PvE and satisfied by PvP co-exist?

From everything they are saying this is a pretty big risk they are taking. I think the market is right for it, people are just tired of themepark MMO's, but it is still a big risk. Eve is mostly for hardcore players, and we all know how SWG ended. A Sandbox MMO has never been massive hit as far as I know. Being F2P will really help to get people to give it a shot though.

I also wonder how beefy of a PC you will need to play this. Planetside 2 looks pretty great, but you need a semi-monster machine to run it in all it's glory. Since it's the same engine I imagine EQ Next will need a similarly powerful machine. This will shrink their possible market down somewhat. Having this running on PS4 will be great, hopefully they are able to allow PC players and PS4 players to play together to increase the population of the world.

Played EQ1 for a lot of years, will be glad to get back into Norrath.

Jira/Ashodin, I mean no disrespect but I think you two are putting some heavy assumption on what is going to be revealed with EQNext.

Nah, I don't think we'll get that specialized with the classes. Having defined roles in a sandbox screams no freedom, and if the world is huge? It'll take forever to get a tank to you. I'm thinking what Iadien posted might be the case, being able to switch roles on the fly. Gw2 already does this.

Sandboxes are inherently the anti-themepark so no it's not going to be even remotely close to WoW. Don't expect any levels, classes, quests, or hand holding. Nothing but sweet freedom to do whatever you want. Emergent gameplay crafted by player interactions is the name of the game.

We simply don't know for certain how sandbox this is going to be. My opinion is that sandbox for EQN will be related more towards altering the landscape of the world moreso than not having classes or defined roles. I'm hoping for something closer to the original EQ than to WoW but I think it would be a mistake for them to completely ignore any advances that WoW made to the industry over the years. There is plenty to learn from the trails Blizzard blazed.

I can tell you guys really want this to be nearer to EVE/UO than WoW but I have not seen anything claiming that we aren't getting classes and will be relegated to skills similar to how UO or Asheron's Call worked. Not trying to start an argument with you guys or be a jerk. I just think it's a bit premature to claim that the game won't be remotely close to WoW when it has been so tightly under wraps. All of the info we have on it has been taken from interviews and tweets that involve Smedley (or one of a couple other SOE fellows) being extremely vague.

Iadien

Maybe, maybe not.

A physical release probably isn't happening. I hope I'm wrong though.

Here's a good site that keeps track EQN news from all over: http://eqnexthub.com/

Gonna be frank, by what they call "sandbox," I expect no major paradigm shift from original EQ. The only expectation I'm bringing into this reveal is a Pre-Luclin EQ philosophy with Planetside 2 tech. If I get more, I'll be pleasantly surprised, if not, I won't be disappointed.

Gonna be frank, by what they call "sandbox," I expect no major paradigm shift from original EQ. The only expectation I'm bringing into this reveal is a Pre-Luclin EQ philosophy with Planetside 2 tech. If I get more, I'll be pleasantly surprised, if not, I won't be disappointed.

Bingo. That's what I am expecting as well.

Things I'm expecting:

- Unique questing and NPC interactions(Storybricks)
- The concept of a timesink returned to an MMO.
- Large, changing world. One thing that EQ had that other MMO's shrank was the scale of the world. Look back at EQ1's building size compared to your character size.
- No implementation of some recent MMO features like quest finders, flying mounts and fast travel. I'm not sure if they'll include a dungeon finder or not. I'm hoping not.
- Dungeons possibly having traps and/or alternate/non-linear routes.
- Races/Classes similar to EQ1.

lots of good memories with EQ-Velious here. very interested if they keep the old spirit alive as much as possible. please lanch with a PS4 version ready. i want to play it there if possible for convenience.

I spent $1000 on Path of Exile and never got enhanced stats or items :lol

wtf are you doing.

glenn8

Banned
Its good that they focus on f2p (if thats true) from the start. So they can build up on that
P2P would just have it ruined early on

Iadien

Georgeson makes it sound like that it won't be what we've played before. Who knows though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIIIZ6ETtY&feature=player_detailpage&t=29
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Dt-MEgLXKXs&t=59

Its good that they focus on f2p (if thats true) from the start. So they can build up on that
P2P would just have it ruined early on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVIIIZ6ETtY&feature=player_detailpage&t=284

PatzCU

Bingo. That's what I am expecting as well.

Things I'm expecting:

- Unique questing and NPC interactions(Storybricks)
- The concept of a timesink returned to an MMO.
- Large, changing world. One thing that EQ had that other MMO's shrank was the scale of the world. Look back at EQ1's building size compared to your character size.
- No implementation of some recent MMO features like quest finders, flying mounts and fast travel. I'm not sure if they'll include a dungeon finder or not. I'm hoping not.
- Dungeons possibly having traps and/or alternate/non-linear routes.
- Races/Classes similar to EQ1.

I think a lot of this scale and seemingly large sized buildings in EQ resulted from the first-person perspective. With WoW and the rest of the third-person MMO's, the world scale seems to shrink considerably because you can scroll so far out while walking around or fighting in combat. The other thing that brought a great sense of scale to EQ1 was the fact that character size had a big impact on your interaction with the world. The Dwarf, Gnome, and Halfling buildings/cities were SMALL. If you were a Barbarian, you would have a hard time navigating those cities effectively and it felt like you were in towns built for ants. I played an Ogre and even though I had a hard time fitting through dungeons like Guk, I loved being huge.

It will be interesting to see what route they take for player perspective in EQN. I think third-person gives you a closer connection to your character while first-person gives you a closer connection to the game world.

GameSeeker

I have fond memories of playing EQ1 and EQ2, but those days are long gone. I'm cautiously optimistic that EQ Next might turn out to be decent, but nothing SOE has done in the last 5 years says that this will be a new chapter in MMO design. It will more likely be some amalgamation of existing MMO design concepts.

Having this as F2P on both PC and PS4 would be a good move by Sony.

Iadien

http://www.reddit.com/r/EQNext/comments/1j2y0m/soe_live_2013_everquest_next_ot_return_of_the/

As a columnist for Ten Ton Hammer, and currently assigned to EQHammer (I'm the author of The Underfoot), I can 100% assure you that Everquest Next is going to blow people away. From my own perspective, I don't use that lightly. While it may have similarities to GW2 or WoW, its sandbox elements combined with other innovations make it absolutely unique. I can't wait for you all to see it.

Noo, hype rising again.

terrisus

I think a lot of this scale and seemingly large sized buildings in EQ resulted from the first-person perspective. With WoW and the rest of the third-person MMO's, the world scale seems to shrink considerably because you can scroll so far out while walking around or fighting in combat. The other thing that brought a great sense of scale to EQ1 was the fact that character size had a big impact on your interaction with the world. The Dwarf, Gnome, and Halfling buildings/cities were SMALL. If you were a Barbarian, you would have a hard time navigating those cities effectively and it felt like you were in towns built for ants. I played an Ogre and even though I had a hard time fitting through dungeons like Guk, I loved being huge.

It will be interesting to see what route they take for player perspective in EQN. I think third-person gives you a closer connection to your character while first-person gives you a closer connection to the game world.

You could play EQ1 in 3rd-person as well though.

spirity

SOE hasn't defined what it is they mean when they use the term sandbox. They could be using it to describe the game as a whole (which is great), or they could be using it to describe just one of the games features (not so great).

We'll find out soon enough, but I'm not ready to believe this game is going to be Everquest meets Eve. They've already said they're determined to make sure there's no way you can grief in the game, and in doing so you're not entirely building a sandbox game in my opinion. Sandbox means freedom, constraining a players actions isn't freedom.

I'm excited for this game and hope its everything thats being promised, but I'm not getting hyped until I see the receipts. There's too many niggling things - they've said they're building the game for emergent gameplay, but you can't design for that! Emergent gameplay is what happens when a player finds a solution to a problem the developers didn't intend or forsee happening. So I'm interested to see exactly how SOE are defining the terms sandbox and emergent.

PatzCU

You could play EQ1 in 3rd-person as well though.

True, but it was incredibly clunky and not effective. Just like you can play WoW from a first person perspective, but you wouldn't really want to. I think the MMO genre lends itself better to third-person in general; however, I would love if EQN was primarily first person.

V_Arnold

If they constrain PK'ing in an acceptable way (similarly to EVE's safety numbers in zones), then I am happy. If there are high-risk-high-reward zones in as well, then no one can complain.

Well, of course, twisted minds wanted to be able to gank lv1 characters in WoW as well, cause hey, nothing more fun than killing people who have no idea what the game's rules are, right? -.-

Orayn

That's the kind of experience I want from an MMO. The itch that something like Animal Crossing scratches, but with the social aspect. And in a fantasy setting!

Hoping they're also putting this on PS4. PS2 and DCUO are happening, so I imagine this will as well.

My favorite side of that had to be Entertainers. There was literally an entire class built around playing music and dancing, but it played a very important role in the game. You see, there were three resource pools: Health, Action, and Mind that all got used as both HP and MP. Having any of them go empty would KO you, and taking certain types of damage would add "wounds" that would gray out a certain portion of the bar and decrease your maximum amount of that resource until you got it treated. Wounds to your Mind pool could only be removed by an Entertainer performing in a cantina, which lead to a really cool dynamic of social hubs that players would have to visit after they'd been fighting and adventuring for a while. Entertainer also branched off into Image Designer, a class that allowed players to re-customize their characters.

Iadien

See? Sandbox Elements. Assuming that the game was going to be stringent to a set list of sandbox features to be considered "Sandbox" didn't seem likely.

There are only a few true sandbox games that exist. I expect EQN to have some sandbox features, but not be a true sandbox. The only true sandbox game I've ever played (I know there's Eve, etc.) is Wurm Online

I personally don't want EQN to be a true sandbox.

True, but it was incredibly clunky and not effective. Just like you can play WoW from a first person perspective, but you wouldn't really want to. I think the MMO genre lends itself better to third-person in general; however, I would love if EQN was primarily first person.

I actually always felt the opposite. I thought first-person was the better choice for immersion while third-person felt odd when you have everyone in WoW PVP zooming out a mile into the air so they can see everyone coming from a great distance :p

Edit:
There are only a few true sandbox games that exist. I expect EQN to have some sandbox features, but not be a true sandbox. The only true sandbox game I've ever played (I know there's Eve, etc.) is Wurm Online

I personally don't want EQN to be a true sandbox.

I agree. I don't want EQN to be a total sandbox either. I was mostly hearkening back to my earlier post. I sincerely do NOT want EQN to end up like EVE. I'm sorry to the EVE players here, but that game is not fun to me.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.

Well, EQ was actually big. Too damn big really. The vast majority of content was completely underutilized even when it was fresh and new.

syko de4d

I actually always felt the opposite. I thought first-person was the better choice for immersion while third-person felt odd when you have everyone in WoW PVP zooming out a mile into the air so they can see everyone coming from a great distance :p

first person EQnext + oculus rift support would be the end of my life.

ZaF0sLT.png

Iadien

I agree. I don't want EQN to be a total sandbox either. I was mostly hearkening back to my earlier post. I sincerely do NOT want EQN to end up like EVE. I'm sorry to the EVE players here, but that game is not fun to me.

Yeah, it doesn't appeal to me either.

Oxn

Dammit i never played a EQ game before but played the crap outta WoW for 5 or so years.

Yall got me all hyped for mmos again.

Dammit i never played a EQ game before but played the crap outta WoW for 5 or so years.

Yall got me all hyped for mmos again.

You're in for a treat then, or it may be your worst nightmare. Take WoW, then strip away all the hand holding; quest hubs, quest tracker, mini-map, consuming food and drink just for bonuses, knowing what direction you're always running in without looking at the sun or dropping a weapon on the ground, banks, portals, instancing, dungeon/raid finder, structured PvP, arenas, battlegrounds, auction house, swimming like an olympian from level 1, etc...

I'm excited for what conveniences may go away. :)

gogojira

Great thread. HYPEHYPEHYPEHYPEHYPE

I installed EQ Mac because I've been lost in my immense hype. I got to see the old (superior) Freeport, East Commons, Oasis, etc. It was delightful.

Top Bottom