• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solforge Rise of the Forgeborn (PC/iOS) |OT|

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
More spoilers, this time with another new mechanic, Solbind:

The new set also has a name, Secrets of Solis:

http://solforgegame.com/news/exploring-the-secrets-of-solis/

Iztek-Avatar-of-Fire.png

Iztek-Avatar-of-Frost.png

Izteks-Flame.png

Izteks-Frost.png

Brakara

Brakara

Interesting. I wonder if they'll allow you to banish opponents creatures with a removal spell. That'd be crazy powerful so probably not.

Yeah, I doubt that. And I don't think you can do that in Ascension either (probably for the same reason).

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Interesting. I wonder if they'll allow you to banish opponents creatures with a removal spell. That'd be crazy powerful so probably not.

Could probably be costed appropriately, as long as it didn't affect the board, but it'd be extremely anti-fun.
Perhaps as a L3-only effect.

Brakara

Yeah, I think that's the only card I don't really like so far, in that it seems way overpowered since its level 2 instance will give any level 1 creature level 3 stats. And I don't think there's any other buff spells that do that.

In constructed that works, because there's so many ways to deal with it, but in draft you're going to be almost always helpless when your opponent plays it. And of course if it's put on an armored or regened creature it gets even worse.

Maledict

Isn't that a card from rise of the solborn? I swear I have a couple of copies already.

Am curious to see how the delay to the IOS rollout affects them. Does anyone have any figures for how much is played on IOS versus PC versus Android?

Isn't that a card from rise of the solborn? I swear I have a couple of copies already.

Am curious to see how the delay to the IOS rollout affects them. Does anyone have any figures for how much is played on IOS versus PC versus Android?

Yup, It is just an alternate art for an existing card.

Spwn

The latest update seems to have some bugs - and I noticed these on set 1 cards, which is kinda weird. Ran into situations where Ashurian Mystic wouldn't attack on the turn it was played on despite having aggressive and level 3 Lyria, Muse Of Varna wouldn't spawn a creature to every available space, instead it only spawned to one space (so it worked like lvl2 Lyria). I hope they fix these issues soon.

Brakara

The Lyria bug is mentioned in the release notes, so I guess that was discovered while the app was already submitted for approval. There are lots of other bugs too, some more serious than others. For example, you can sometimes select 3 factions in draft which will make you unable to play any draft games. Some have also reported playing 5 matches and still being at, say, 2-0. But if you encounter these, just submitt a bug report and I think you'll be compensated with a draft coupon. Speaking of which, everybody will receive both a constructed and a draft tournament coupon since some people had their tournaments wiped out after the patch.

The less serious bugs are the ones like the target bug when sometimes you'll be unable to target creatures for play and activated effects. Though a restart fixes this, it's still super annoying when it happens, so I hope there will be a patch soon.

Brakara

Yup, It is just an alternate art for an existing card.

Correct. But the original art is terrible (*) and this alt art one is sweet as hell.

(*) I generally really like the art in SolForge, and set 3 has some really great ones, but the original art for Alloyin Strategist is just plain fugly. And what's worse, the card itself is pretty good and very constructed playable.

Aureon

I have a constructed tournament at 3-0, which has been 3-0 for four games (L WWW)
lol.

Brakara

Aureon (or anyone else), have you paid attention to the BQ meta lately? I just got a very late invite to the ForgeWatch Invitational, and I need to come up with a deck ASAP, but I've no idea what to run with.

I'm thinking of modifying Zwaxor's list from the WC qualifier since I've played a bit with it and it suits my style of play, but I'm sure it's far from ideal in the current meta (which I've unfortunately not paid close enough attention to lately).

Any suggestions?

Aureon

I'm kind of out of the loop in constructed atm, going gung-ho on draft.
BQ is being pretty dominating, for what i get, but Flamebreak decks are still more than viable.
My main deck, at the moment, is actually a Stasis Warden \ Flamebreak deck. Counters both Ghox and BQ pretty easily.
It would definitely benefit from Izteks, though.

Sinatar

Aureon (or anyone else), have you paid attention to the BQ meta lately? I just got a very late invite to the ForgeWatch Invitational, and I need to come up with a deck ASAP, but I've no idea what to run with.

I'm thinking of modifying Zwaxor's list from the WC qualifier since I've played a bit with it and it suits my style of play, but I'm sure it's far from ideal in the current meta (which I've unfortunately not paid close enough attention to lately).

Any suggestions?

Yea if you're thinking Zwaxor's BQ list, then that's a safe pick. Broodqueen is very very dominant right now. However I wouldn't be surprised to see a bunch of NT decks there to try and counter BQ.

But yea I'd just run BQ and be done with it.

Aureon

T-Saur is great against Flamebreak, but horrible against BQ. Choices, choices.
If you're playing Dysian Siphon or other buffs though, as ever, thundersaur really likes that.

Brakara

Yeah, I'll see which group I end up in first. If I end up in Caitiri's group I'll definitely run a couple of them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjgWGY5fukg&list=UUyGXHChyrL8tOKEwlQrq3bg

The NT list in that video (also being run by Zwaxor) is pretty good against BQ, even though it actually loses in that video.

You mean being run by Mappo? Zwaxor is running his BQ deck in that video.

Edit: or do you mean this where he did run NT the week after?

http://www.twitch.tv/tinygrimes/b/566903934

Sinatar

Yeah, I'll see which group I end up in first. If I end up in Caitiri's group I'll definitely run a couple of them.

You mean being run by Mappo? Zwaxor is running his BQ deck in that video.

Oh you're right. It's Mappo running it, my bad.

Aureon

Uh, nerfs to BQ coming on the 22th, plus new cards, also on the 22.
Uuuhm.

Sinatar

No surprise there.

My guess is they'll tone down the poison on the snake token, make it a flat amount instead of scaling with it's power.

EDIT: The patch notes are actually up and I was correct in my guess on the BQ nerf. http://solforgegame.com/news/secrets-of-solis-unveiled-patch-notes/

patch notes said:
Avalanche Guardian (Stats changed all levels):

Before: 3/8, 7/15, 13/23

After: 5/8, 9/15, 15/23

Blight Witch

Before: Not a Zombie.

After: Now a Zombie.

Cinder Colossus

Before: 12/13 at level 2

After: 13/14 at level 2

Cloudcleaver Titan

Before: 4/5, 8/9, 12/13

After: 4/7, 8/10, 12/16

Crag Walker

Before: 6/2, 10/4, 18/6

After: 7/2, 12/4, 18/6

Dysian Broodqueen

Before: Said the word ‘test’ at the end of the card text at level 2.

After: ‘test’ removed.

Broodfang (Stats and ability Changed)

Before: 2/1, 4/2, 8/4. Gave poison equal to damage dealt.

After: 1/1, 2/2, 3/3. Gives 1/2/3 Poison when it deals damage.

Firemane Steed

Before: 3/4, 6/7, 16/17

After: 3/6, 6/9, 16/19

Forge Guardian Delta

Before: Forge Guardian Delta would count your opponent’s Alphas, Betas, and Gammas at level 2 and 3.

After: Now only counts your own guardian pieces at all levels.

Forge Guardian Omega

Before: Forge Guardian Omega was not registering as being a Forge Guardian Piece.

After: Can now destroyed to use Forge Guardian Gamma’s ability (matching text on cards)

Killion, Infinity Warden

Before: If you brought Killion level 3 into play (not from your hand) and there were no cards in your discard pile, he would not level a card in your hand.

After: Fixed

Lyria, Muse of Varna

Before: Level 3 only brought back 1 creature (not matching it’s text)

After: Level 3 properly brings in up to 4 creatures into play

Text altered to match effect

Before: When Lyria enters the field, put a random creature that was destroyed or replaced this game into one of your available spaces at random.

After: When Lyria enters the field, put a random creature that was destroyed, banished, or replaced this game into one of your available spaces at random.

Note: Same verbiage added for level 3.

Oratek Explosives

Before: The triggered effect was dealing damage equal to the creatures power for creatures with breakthrough, rather than the damage it dealt to the player.

After: Deals damage based on how much damage was dealt to player.

Before: If there was only 1 valid target for Oratek Explosives level 2 trigger. the trigger would not happen.

After: You are permitted to deal damage to the 1 valid target.

Oratek Warhammer

Before: 3/8, 6/12, 12/19

After: 3/8, 7/12, 13/19

Phallanx Squadron (name changed):

After: Phalanx Squadron

Ruthless Wanderers

Before: Would trigger off of opponents Wanderers

After: Only triggers off of your own Wanderers

Seal of Deepwood

Before: +9/+9 at level 2

After: +6/+6 at level 2

Seal of Kadras

Before: “Targe”

After: “Target”

Sporelord

Funguy (Now more fun to play against at level 1)

Before: 7/7

After: 6/6

Steelskin Spelunker

Before: 4/5 level 1

After: 5/6 at level 1

Stygian Lotus

Before: When Stygian Lotus enters the field, if there is another creature in this lane, put a copy of it into one of your available spaces at random.

After: When Stygian Lotus enters the field from your hand, if there is another creature in this lane, put a copy of this into one of your available spaces at random. Then repeat this for each copy.

Tower Scout

Before: 5/3, 9/7, 15/13

After: 5/5, 9/9, 15/15

Uranti Warstoker (Stats changed at level 1 and 3):

Before: 3/5, 7/10, 10/15

After: 4/6, 7/10, 12/17

Varna’s Pact

Text Altered to match effect

Before: Put a random creature that was destroyed or replaced this game into a space you control.

After: Put a random creature that was destroyed, banished, or replaced this game into a space you control.

EDIT 2: Wait so their fix for the Direhound being brought back from pact bug was to just change Pact's text to make it an official feature? Are they fucking crazy!?

Also nerfed the hell out of lotus, won't trigger off pact anymore.

EDIT 3: Ok they say they are going to fix Direhound eventually, so that's something at least.

This update does not change the current unintended functionality of Varna’s Pact and Lyria returning cards that were banished, such as Xithian Direhound via Overload. We are working to fix the issue that is causing this problem, but it is related to the rules engine and is much more difficult than changing the way the cards themselves are built. We plan to have this fix in the next major release, but in the meantime, we have updated the card text on Varna’s Pact and Lyria to reflect their current gameplay functionality.

Brakara

Direhound hasn't been fixed since it's too complex to be fixed now, so it will be fixed in the next major patch.

Edit: didn't see your edit. Doh!

Uh, nerfs to BQ coming on the 22th, plus new cards, also on the 22.
Uuuhm.

Note: Earliest Monday. If Apple takes its sweet time, it could be out later.

Brakara

So I did end up in that group. Now, what cards should I remove, Echowisp or Nefrax or ...?

This is the current list:

3x Shardbound Invoker
3x Aetherphage
3x Stygian Lotus
3x Tarsus Deathweaver
3x Dysian Broodqueen
3x Xithian Direhound
3x Grimgaunt Doomrider
2x Nefrax, the Soulweaver
2x Echowisp
3x Ferocious Roar
2x Cull the Weak

Problem with replacing Echowisp is that Nefrax has less targets and if I remove Nefrax I don't really need that many tokens. Maybe remove both and put in a couple of Siphons as well, but the problem with that is that it gets too weak in the mirror.

Brakara

So I finalized my playtesting with this deck:

2x Shardbound Invoker
2x Ebonbound Warlord
2x Thundersaur
3x Aetherphage
2x Stygian Lotus
3x Dysian Broodqueen
3x Xithian Direhound
3x Grimgaunt Doomrider
3x Grimgaunt Devourer
3x Ferocious Roar
2x Cull the Weak
2x Epidemic

This because of the Thundersaur tech, since it weakened the Zwaxor deck. So I went away from the spread the board strategy to instead trying to grow my grimgaunts (which makes it good against Zwaxor's type of deck). Though I did keep 2 lotuses since I need some extra tokens for my BQs. I also added 2 warlords because it's a crazy good underleveled card that easily removes an opponent's token or decreases his threats substantially.

I first tried with GGP but the opponent's Doomrider coming into its lane was too often too awkward, so the GGD was better in that regard. It starts out a bit slow but comes into its own later with huge grimgaunts and some strong underleveled cards.

Brakara

Brakara

New patch today at 9 am PST. Well, to be precise the patch will be ready when the servers are up again (could be a couple of hours after that).

Also, the Top 16 of the ForgeWatch Invitational will be streamed, starting at 9 am PST (4 pm UTC) on Saturday at twitch.tv/forgewatch. I'll also stream my matches at twitch.tv/brakara but it will be with a 5 min delay and no audio since it's mainly for optionally being recasted by ForgeWatch.

The brackets can be found here:

http://challonge.com/tsp3s4ut

I don't expect my match to be covered since there are two really interesting ones in the first round; ErrorAsh vs gottabkd, since both are the only ones winning a World Championship Qualifier so far; and Hans vs Zrandles, since they are considered the best two players in the game by many.

Piecake

Just started playing this a day or two ago and I really like it. I find it a more interesting and strategic than hearthstone and planeswalkers so far.

Since I am just starting, any tips? Should I build up my cards by buying silver packs? And is there an benefit to playing more than 3 games a day? Like is there a daily reward after that?

Any tips on deck building or simply a beginners guide somewhere? I looked around, but a lot of the stuff seems to be like a year+ old.

Sinatar

Since I am just starting, any tips? Should I build up my cards by buying silver packs? And is there an benefit to playing more than 3 games a day? Like is there a daily reward after that?

If you can win against a live human you'll win a free event ticket every day in addition to the 3 other awards. Those free tickets are a great way to get more cards since every 7 tickets (so once a week if you keep on top of it) you can run a free draft.

Don't have much tips for starting out, I've been playing since the kickstarter pre-alpha, so my perspective on that is probably a bit skewed.

Piecake

This is currently the best resource for new players, and is actively being updated as well:

http://www.ghoxssocks.com/2014/05/konan-new-player-guide/

Also, spend your silver on boosters and make sure to win your daily ticket so you can draft (costs 7 tickets). Draft, unlike Arena in Hearthstone, lets you keep the cards you pick so it's a good way to acquire cards you need.

Wait, the 30 cards you pick in your draft? You can keep those afterwards? Dang, that is pretty sweet.

Brakara

Wait, the 30 cards you pick in your draft? You can keep those afterwards? Dang, that is pretty sweet.

Yeah, but it's also why it's more expensive than Arena. But you do get a free draft per week + whatever tickets you get in prizes (more wins in draft = more tickets). The pack you get for finishing draft is also better the more wins you have.

Piecake

First draft and half of the choices I had to choose between poop and different kinds of poop. Urghhh...

Went 1 for 3.

Brakara

First draft and half of the choices I had to choose between poop and different kinds of poop. Urghhh...

Went 1 for 3.

What factions did you pick? Uterra/Nekrium (UN) is generally considered the best faction pair since set 3.

I've been struggling with draft myself since set 3 (had around 75% win rate pre-set 3), but I just went 3-1 and 4-0 with AN and AT, respectively. And I rarely do that well outside UN these days, so I'm not sure how that happened.

Piecake

What factions did you pick? Uterra/Nekrium (UN) is generally considered the best faction pair since set 3.

I've been struggling with draft myself since set 3 (had around 75% win rate pre-set 3), but I just went 3-1 and 4-0 with AN and AT, respectively. And I rarely do that well outside UN these days, so I'm not sure how that happened.

I went UA. I thought that the Alloyin Strategist was by far the best card on my first drop, so I went with that. I think the second choice was pretty much a toss up but I went Uterra since I never had much success when comboing Alloyin with other factions.

Top Bottom