• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solforge Rise of the Forgeborn (PC/iOS) |OT|

Brakara

The app for this game is kind of sketchy. Constantly crashes out on me with an iphone 5.

I have an iPhone 5 and can't remember the last time it crashed (usually has happened if the client has been running for awhile and I'm opening packs). Try this:

1. Complete reboot of the phone.
2. If 1. doesn't fix it, remove and re-install the app

Pastry

Banned
So is there no ELO system? I'm constantly being placed against people that have some ridiculous decks and I can't really compete.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So is there no ELO system? I'm constantly being placed against people that have some ridiculous decks and I can't really compete.

I don't think there are enough people playing the game to have any kind of ELO system, it just matches you up to whatever is available.

Brakara

I don't think there are enough people playing the game to have any kind of ELO system, it just matches you up to whatever is available.

No, it actually has an ELO-like system, and it tries to match you against similar skilled players. But if the matchmaking takes a long time, it's an indication that no similar skilled players are trying to play at the same time as you (and it's matching up/down instead).

From the FAQ:

SolForge uses a matchmaking algorithm to pair you against opponents of similar skill level. When you’re just starting out, you’ll usually get paired with other relatively new players.

http://solforgegame.com/game/faq/

If you have problems getting your daily ticket, there's two options:

1. Have a second account where you play against yourself and concede with the account which doesn't need the ticket
2. Play against a friend and have him concede to you

If you're still having trouble, feel free to send me a challenge, and I'll accept and concede, though I'm usually only playing evenings European time, so it may take some time before I see it.

Piecake

Well, my second draft went A LOT better. No legendaries or dominant cards, but they all seem useful, which is more than I can say about my first draft deck when half of it was crap.

We will see if I fair better!

Well, went 2-2. 3rd game I made the mistake of not killing off these defending poison wells right away. I just kinda left them because they were a defender. Big mistake. Pretty sure I would have won it if I would have prioritized taking those out.

4th game was a case of bad draws versus good draws and a very annoying deck. which seemed to counter my deck really well. Pretty sure I would have lost this game most of the time.

Piecake

My game has turned into a buggy mess. My timer decides to take off 30 seconds every time I hit end turn. Lost a draft match because of that (didnt realize it). And allied abilities only occasionally work now, which is real annoying when you are relying on Oratek explosives to actually, you know, work. Really frustraiting.

Brakara

What platform are you on? The timer could also be a server issue, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

I've also never seen an allied bug. Are you sure you had a card in your hand to trigger it?

Piecake

What platform are you on? The timer could also be a server issue, but I haven't seen that in a long time.

I've also never seen an allied bug. Are you sure you had a card in your hand to trigger it?

PC

Yea, that was my fault. I didnt realize you had to have it in your hand. It looks like I am improving in drafting. Last several times i went either 3-1 or 2-2. I found that the easiest way to do that was simply go UN.

I seem to be getting a bit screwed on phase 3 occasionally. Do you always try to level your level 2 cards in phase 2 so that you have more at phase 3 or try to win that play atm? I feel like I am short some level 3 cards (or else some shitty luck sometimes).

Brakara

I went 3-1 with AT yesterday and 4-0 with AU just now, so it's definitely possible to do well with non UN decks. And, coincidentally, I went "only" 2-2 with UN earlier today having two Seal of Deepwoods in the deck.

As for being level screwed, just remember that like in any other card drawing game, over time your opponents will get screwed as often as you.

And, yeah, it's almost always correct to play your level 2 cards during rank 2. This because you will then have a bigger chance of drawing level 3 cards during rank 3 and thus have a lesser chance of being screwed.

In general (without extra card draws or banishing), you're going to draw 2 out of 3 cards during a rank (i.e. draw 20 out of 30 cards over 4 turns). So, for example, if you have 3 broodqueens in your deck, you expect to draw 2 of them during rank 1. And, likewise, if you have 6 level 3 cards in your deck, you expect to draw 4 of them during rank 3.

Piecake

I went 3-1 with AT yesterday and 4-0 with AU just now, so it's definitely possible to do well with non UN decks. And, coincidentally, I went "only" 2-2 with UN earlier today having two Seal of Deepwoods in the deck.

As for being level screwed, just remember that like in any other card drawing game, over time your opponents will get screwed as often as you.

And, yeah, it's almost always correct to play your level 2 cards during rank 2. This because you will then have a bigger chance of drawing level 3 cards during rank 3 and thus have a lesser chance of being screwed.

In general (without extra card draws or banishing), you're going to draw 2 out of 3 cards during a rank (i.e. draw 20 out of 30 cards over 4 turns). So, for example, if you have 3 broodqueens in your deck, you expect to draw 2 of them during rank 1. And, likewise, if you have 6 level 3 cards in your deck, you expect to draw 4 of them during rank 3.

What about overload abilities? Is it more ideal to wait until the later rounds to use them or use them in phase 1 and 2?

Sinatar

What about overload abilities? Is it more ideal to wait until the later rounds to use them or use them in phase 1 and 2?

Well if you're running deathhounds and varna's pact then using them in level 1 is fine, otherwise I usually hold off until level 2.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Well if you're running deathhounds and varna's pact then using them in level 1 is fine, otherwise I usually hold off until level 2.

Lysian Shard Rush is mighty.
Also the Alloyin one is made to be used in PL1.

Brakara

Yeah, the core gameplay is still good, and maybe even better with some of the new gameplay designs in set 3. But the meta is in a rough spot at the moment given that it has one dominant deck (Broodqueen) and only one other good one (Rage of Kadras). And that's it.

But if you're not going to play competitively, it's definitely worth checking out again.

Brakara

Draft infinite is practically impossible now.

Not if you smelt all your winnings:

If you forge EVERY SINGLE card you get, including prize packs and draft pool, to go infinite you need a winrate of:
Old Draft: 68.1%
New Draft: 74.3%
Old Constructed: 62.3%
New Constructed: 73.6%

http://www.reddit.com/r/SolForge/comments/2l9t27/going_infinite_comparing_the_new_and_old_systems/

So while it's still worse than now, it's not practically impossible.

Brakara

And now the new set has been announced as well:

http://solforgegame.com/news/introducing-imprisoned-heralds/

Vaerus.jpg

One new spell/creature type (Herald), and two new mechanics: upgrade (gets effect if you replace creature) and assault (gets effect if opposite lane is empty).

I do like how these sets have the similar names to the Ascension expansions: Imprisoned Heralds vs Immortal Heroes.

Piecake

Well, looks like I got bumped up to the veterans bracket for randomized play, and it is absolutely awful. I by no means have a perfectly constructed deck because I simply don't have the cards, but now I am playing players with perfectly constructed decks every single time and I simply can't win.

Last game was fucking ridiculous. The dude was playing a zombie deck and was just throwing around Varna's pact after Varna's pact. So frustraiting. There are a few cards that I would nerf and that is definitely one of them. Aetherfage is also ridiculous.

So yea, I am done playing randomized people. I might still get my event tickets through the conceding trick and play draft, but this experience has kinda soured me.

Sinatar

The new set patch is going up now, patch notes here.

Highlights:
- Nerfed Tarsus's stats slightly and made it so that he doesn't affect himself.
- Fixed banished cards being affected by Varna's pact
- Nerfed Direhounds stats and made it -4/-4. So it's gone from a 3 of in all decks to being pretty meh when combined with the pact fix.
- Nerfed Seal of the Deepwood even further, lvl 3 is now +12/+12
- Nerfed Grimgaunt Doomrider's stats and the amount he gets when shuffling around.
- Nerfed Aetherphage's stats

Brakara

Yeah, patch and servers are up now. Stat changes look good, but the concern after set 3 is if the new cards are balanced or not.

I do like some of the new quality of life changes though, like being able to forge everything, the decks always sorted alphabetically, and also having an actual friends list (not just everybody you've ever played in the same list).

Piecake

Aegis Wing is stupidly good in draft. I stuck it on a Sorrow Maiden, Dirge Banshee, and Oriean Scavenger, and a Vault Wielder, and they just dominated.

It also seems like they are pushing Utera/Alloyn decks with the whole replace/upgrade thing those two have going on. Using a Shardclaw Crusher to upgrade Oriean Scavenger and then sticking an Aegis wing on it seems like a pretty beastly combination. Though the shardclaw might be so pathetic that it should be treated more as a spell than a creature since it would get wiped out right away, which would be kinda crappy then.

My second draft did not go very well. I kinda prioritized new cards over good cards and my deck was just a mess. I barely managed to scrape out 1 win. Somehow, I ended up lacking both finishers and under-drops. The new wind and fire Asir for Tempys are pretty damn good though. I also like the green that gets replaced and pops out two same stat spirits adjecent to it.

I like how they changed the draft rewards too. Lowering the draft ticket price and giving you silver instead of tickets makes it more flexible. Personally, I am probably going to just dump all of my silver for a long time into draft since I like that mode better.

Brakara

Yeah, I'm really enjoying the new draft format after set 4. The nerfs and new cards have given it the fresh coat of paint it really needed after the stale set 3 meta. If I have one complaint, it's that tracker is still bonkers in draft, but at least it's not as bad as it was since all faction combinations now have good synergies.

Piecake

So, is anyone interested in setting up some sort of sharing thing on here? I admittedly do not have a whole lot of cards, but I would definitely be able to help others with completing the new set quicker.

I'd also take charity for the older sets too! ;)

Brakara

This is pretty cool: Forgemaster Weekend. Basically, this weekend you'll be able to make any deck you want and play a constructed tournament with it (4 matches). Entry fee and prize is only 100 silver, so it means that anyone can participate in it and as many times as they'd like.

As for sharing, I'd be happy to help out anyone who needs older heroics from the first two sets (for nothing in return).

la_briola

This is pretty cool: Forgemaster Weekend. Basically, this weekend you'll be able to make any deck you want and play a constructed tournament with it (4 matches). Entry fee and prize is only 100 silver, so it means that anyone can participate in it and as many times as they'd like.

As for sharing, I'd be happy to help out anyone who needs older heroics from the first two sets (for nothing in return).

That would be awesome! I have no idea how to do this the best way so I just made some screenshots. :lol

https://imgur.com/a/ILDoK

The most I would like Weirwood Patriarch, Grimgaunt Predator, Soul Harvest and Stormforged Avatar. Anything else is awesome too!

Piecake

If you have any more Patriarchs, I would gladly take that. I would also love Byzerak Frostmaiden, epidemic, tusken sporelord, and any other heroic that you are willing to give me ;)

My game name is also Piecake. Thanks a bunch!

The new rares that I can share are 1 Anvillion arbiter, 1 Orien Scavenger, 1 Sorrow Maiden, and 2 Soulscourge Grimgaunt (kinda sucks).

Brakara

Sent, but I didn't have a full set of those set 3 heroics. Basically, I played a lot of draft during set 1 and 2, which is why I have tons of excess cards from those sets.

flammie

I'm really enjoying the imprisoned heralds expansion. The upgrade mechanic can be pretty strategic and there doesn't seem to be anything as imbalanced as broodqueen/grimgaunt was in constructed or seal of deepwood in the draft. And you can finally buy legendary chests with silver!

Brakara

^Sent.

I'm really enjoying the imprisoned heralds expansion. The upgrade mechanic can be pretty strategic and there doesn't seem to be anything as imbalanced as broodqueen/grimgaunt was in constructed or seal of deepwood in the draft. And you can finally buy legendary chests with silver!

Draft is awesome at the moment, maybe as good as it's ever been if not even better, but Wegu in constructed has put me off that format a bit. No, it's not OP like broodqueen was, but it's just a terribly designed card since it's basically a Timmy card that's too easy to trigger, and with a triggered ability that's too good.

Piecake

Any thoughts on how to improve my deck? No legendaries since those are out of my reach

3 Emberwind Evoker
3 Sorrow Maiden
3 Epidemic
3 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Byzerak Frostmaiden
1 Borean Windweaver
3 Ebonbound Warlord
2 Xithian Direhound
3 Cinderbound Barbarian
3 Hunger Strike
1 Lavafused Asir
2 Gloomfiend

Ive found that I am using hunger strike a lot less now that I have 3 epidemic. I also don't seem to play Cinderbound, Lavafused or Gloomfiend all that much, but I guess they can be situationally useful.

This is about the first deck of mine that seems to have a chance against 'properly constructed' decks. Before I just got blown out since I just didnt have the cards. I still don't, but I feel like these go well together.

I think I just drafted my worst deck ever. I picked an Uranti Warlord for the first card since was the best available, but I then tried to make a yeti deck out of it. Bad idea... I guess for some reason the lesson about not drafting for synergy when you only have 1 card didnt seep through this time. I predict an 0-4.

Brakara

Any thoughts on how to improve my deck? No legendaries since those are out of my reach

3 Emberwind Evoker
3 Sorrow Maiden
3 Epidemic
3 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Byzerak Frostmaiden
1 Borean Windweaver
3 Ebonbound Warlord
2 Xithian Direhound
3 Cinderbound Barbarian
3 Hunger Strike
1 Lavafused Asir
2 Gloomfiend

Ive found that I am using hunger strike a lot less now that I have 3 epidemic. I also don't seem to play Cinderbound, Lavafused or Gloomfiend all that much, but I guess they can be situationally useful.

This is about the first deck of mine that seems to have a chance against 'properly constructed' decks. Before I just got blown out since I just didnt have the cards. I still don't, but I feel like these go well together.

Maybe it tries to do too much? You have reduction, mobility and removal, and seeing that you only have one windweaver I would maybe go for reduction/removal instead and trying to focus on growing your predators. More win conditions would also be nice, maybe get a couple of grimgaunt devourer/doomriders when you can afford to forge them.

So maybe this:

3 Sorrow Maiden
3 Epidemic
3 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Byzerak Frostmaiden
3 Ebonbound Warlord
3 Xithian Direhound
3 Cinderbound Barbarian
3 Byzerak Spitemage
3 Burnout
2 Hunger Strike
1 Dreadbolt

Spitemage is quality removal and can also finish games, burnout is a great removal spell and a single dreadbolt can be useful against larger creatures (also use it to grow your predator). Just remember that you don't want to play too many spells during rank 1. Predator level 1 isn't that good, so it's his level 2 that you want to use spells and other creatures (like direhound) to grow.

Btw, this is an NT tempo deck I'm running at the moment which is doing okay in the random queue:

3 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Grimgaunt Devourer
3 Grimgaunt Doomrider
3 Ebonskull Knight
3 Xithian Direhound
3 Byzerak Spitemage
3 Static Shock
3 Epidemic
3 Burnout
2 Cull the Weak
1 Dreadbolt

I use Ebonskull Knight instead of barbarian and warlord, because in this deck I need a card that constitutes as a good level 1 pressure card as well as a good underdrop. In your deck you already have too many must level cards, so the barbarians and warlords can be in as just good underdrops. But if you never play the barbarian, maybe swap them out for knights instead?

I think I just drafted my worst deck ever. I picked an Uranti Warlord for the first card since was the best available, but I then tried to make a yeti deck out of it. Bad idea... I guess for some reason the lesson about not drafting for synergy when you only have 1 card didnt seep through this time. I predict an 0-4.

Yeah, usually just pick the best card, then synergy if it's close.

Piecake

Maybe it tries to do too much? You have reduction, mobility and removal, and seeing that you only have one windweaver I would maybe go for reduction/removal instead and trying to focus on growing your predators. More win conditions would also be nice, maybe get a couple of grimgaunt devourer/doomriders when you can afford to forge them.

So maybe this:

3 Sorrow Maiden
3 Epidemic
3 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Byzerak Frostmaiden
3 Ebonbound Warlord
3 Xithian Direhound
3 Cinderbound Barbarian
3 Byzerak Spitemage
3 Burnout
2 Hunger Strike
1 Dreadbolt

Spitemage is quality removal and can also finish games, burnout is a great removal spell and a single dreadbolt can be useful against larger creatures (also use it to grow your predator). Just remember that you don't want to play too many spells during rank 1. Predator level 1 isn't that good, so it's his level 2 that you want to use spells and other creatures (like direhound) to grow.

Btw, this is an NT tempo deck I'm running at the moment which is doing okay in the random queue:

3 Grimgaunt Predator
3 Grimgaunt Devourer
3 Grimgaunt Doomrider
3 Ebonskull Knight
3 Xithian Direhound
3 Byzerak Spitemage
3 Static Shock
3 Epidemic
3 Burnout
2 Cull the Weak
1 Dreadbolt

I use Ebonskull Knight instead of barbarian and warlord, because in this deck I need a card that constitutes as a good level 1 pressure card as well as a good underdrop. In your deck you already have too many must level cards, so the barbarians and warlords can be in as just good underdrops. But if you never play the barbarian, maybe swap them out for knights instead?

Yeah, usually just pick the best card, then synergy if it's close.

Awesome. Thanks for the advice. I think I might give that a shot. You wouldn't happen to have 2 extra spitemages to share, would you? ;)

I would try ebonskull, but I think I would then struggle to get Tempys in my hand, which would make the Byzerak frostmaiden a lot worse. I use the barbarian occasionally, but I usually prefer the warlord since he just has a much better body and a better ability for what I am trying to do. I'll miss the evoker though. It was pretty fun seeing huge Frostmaidens and Predators on my board.

I got a win out of my draft deck though! I ditched the whole level up yeti mindset and just started leveling good cards. It worked a lot better. I still regret not taking an Ebonskull Knight for my first pick, but I already had 3 of those and 0 Uranti Warlord... Bah...

Brakara

^Good point about the frostmaiden, I forgot she had the allied ability, which I guess is why I'm not a big fan of her as you often want at least half your deck with cards from the other faction and in this deck it's only 8 or so. She would've been a lot better if she was Tempys with allied Nekrium.

I got a win out of my draft deck though! I ditched the whole level up yeti mindset and just started leveling good cards. It worked a lot better. I still regret not taking an Ebonskull Knight for my first pick, but I already had 3 of those and 0 Uranti Warlord... Bah...

Uranti Warlord is still a good card in draft though, and will often be a 2-for-1. In fact, if I hadn't any I would probably have picked it up as well since the yeti deck is one of the best cheap decks you can build.

flammie

^Good point about the frostmaiden, I forgot she had the allied ability, which I guess is why I'm not a big fan of her as you often want at least half your deck with cards from the other faction and in this deck it's only 8 or so. She would've been a lot better if she was Tempys with allied Nekrium.
I would try ebonskull, but I think I would then struggle to get Tempys in my hand, which would make the Byzerak frostmaiden a lot worse. I use the barbarian occasionally, but I usually prefer the warlord since he just has a much better body and a better ability for what I am trying to do. I'll miss the evoker though. It was pretty fun seeing huge Frostmaidens and Predators on my board.

If you want to still focus on mobility, you can try adding frostfang maidens and razortooth stalkers. You can also look in to using group meal to help grow your creatures and weaken your opponents creatures attack at the same time.

Brakara

^Yeah, mobility is the other thing you could focus on. Add frostfang maiden and stalkers (or windweaver if you can). Then drop most nekriums except predator, frostmaiden and epidemic. Then maybe add more tempys removal package with flamebreak invoker, lightning sparks, burnouts, static shocks and flame lances.

Hello Solforge GAF!

Could you give me some advice for my mobility deck?

Cards:

1- Stormforged Avatar.
2- Grimgaunt Predator.
2- Frostfang Maiden.
1- Byzerak Frostmaiden.
3- Borean Windweaver.
1- Windborn Hellion.
3- Umbruk Glider.
1- Thundergale Invoker.
2- Avalanche Guardian.
2- Wind Primordial.
1- Varnas Pact.
1- Turnabout.
1- Static Schock.
1- Dreadbolt.
3- Urantibolt.
3- Stormspear.
2- Seal of Tarsus.

Any recommendation?

My steam ID if someone wants to add me:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Reneledarker

And my ingame name:

DevenirA.

Thanks!

Edit: The starter decks are on sale on steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292702/

Piecake

Went 4-0 in draft for the first time. Felt good. I thought I was going to go 4-0 again, but I did not have the best of luck. My tracker never came out in round 1 and the first two hands of round 2 I got all rank 1 cards. I got too far behind to catch up considering that my opponent was dropping the rank 2s and had a good deck.

Brakara

Could you give me some advice for my mobility deck?

Cards:

1- Stormforged Avatar.
2- Grimgaunt Predator.
2- Frostfang Maiden.
1- Byzerak Frostmaiden.
3- Borean Windweaver.
1- Windborn Hellion.
3- Umbruk Glider.
1- Thundergale Invoker.
2- Avalanche Guardian.
2- Wind Primordial.
1- Varnas Pact.
1- Turnabout.
1- Static Schock.
1- Dreadbolt.
3- Urantibolt.
3- Stormspear.
2- Seal of Tarsus.

Any recommendation?

Without doing too much with it, I would drop some of the lesser good cards and have more of the good ones. So drop avatar, hellion, thundergale, varna's pact (doesn't fit the deck), turnabout, stormspear, seal of tarsus. And replace with more predator, frostfang maiden, frostmaiden and add some necroflays (just plain better than stormspear). 1 static shock also seems pointless. Either put 3 or 0. I'd probably put in 3 burnouts instead.

Edit: you also want to have the creature that gives other creatures +1/+1 when they move, I think it's called Emberwind Evoker or something like that.

Edit: The starter decks are on sale on steam:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/292702/

Also note that it includes $10 worth of gold and a draft coupon.

Thanks, once I get more tickets and silver I will try to get those cards and more copies.

Edit: Thanks for sharing some cards Brakara, my deck got pretty good.

Sinatar

What is the best thing to buy? Chests or tickets for drafts?

Should I get the burning rage deck to get a rage of kadras spell or spend my gold in chests/tickets?

I tend to get chests and use the silver from selling any extras for crafting cards I need, but my collection is fairly complete so your mileage may vary.

Brakara

Set 5 is live, with 48 new cards and the beginning of the campaign. The campaign has 6 missions, mostly aimed at beginners, but with rewards when you finish each. There will also be released 2 more missions in mid-March, and I'm sure there will be more later.

Patch notes here: solforgegame.com/PatchNotes/

Top Bottom