• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I thought Rogue One was going to be absolute garbage and so far it's my favorite new gen Star Wars film. I'm optimistic.

I loved the visuals in the trailer. Still, it's really hard to get past seeing a Han Solo that isn't played Harrison Ford. Alden Ehrenreich's voice grates on my ears because I keep expecting to hear Ford's gentler tones.

lachesis

I loved the visuals in the trailer. Still, it's really hard to get past seeing a Han Solo that isn't played Harrison Ford. Alden Ehrenreich's voice grates on my ears because I keep expecting to hear Ford's gentler tones.

agreed - he seems to be trying to mimic the tone, especially the "hit" lines... but the voice is too high, and also he speaks way too fast for Han. Han is a slow speaker with TON of swag, and the boy, just doesn't seem to have that cocky/silliness. I do, however have high hopes for new Lando... but the trailer didn't show enough of him, so..

Well, seems they've dropped any pretense that Star Wars is anything other than just generic modern blockbuster fair. Doesn't seem to resemble the vibe or tone of the original movies in any way.

I was out after the episode VII personally.

Porcile

Looks genuinely terrible and nothing like Star Wars but i'll probably watch it because i'm a fucking idiot.

luxsol

meeeeeh

Visuals look nice, but everything about it says "generic"
Take away the Star Wars designs and it's something i would not give a second glance to.

Disney isn't trying at all and is still only using the Star Wars name/designs to make money. It's just more TFA bullshit that doesn't look to add onto the mythos, just imitates for easy cash.

NickFire

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but until I hear a movie is focused on the force and lightsabers, count me out from giving a damn any longer. As I assume a Han prequel will have little if any significant use of either, I could care less about even watching the trailer. Between the recent books and first prequel movie, I think Disney has lost sight of what made Star Wars great. Its the force stupid, and not just general notions of the force bringing balance.

agreed - he seems to be trying to mimic the tone, especially the "hit" lines... but the voice is too high, and also he speaks way too fast for Han. Han is a slow speaker with TON of swag, and the boy, just doesn't seem to have that cocky/silliness. I do, however have high hopes for new Lando... but the trailer didn't show enough of him, so..
This. You nailed what I was trying to say, but couldn't figure out the words to do it. There is something about the way Ford speaks that Ehrenreich isn't matching in the clips. Still, I think Solo could be a really good movie. Hoping so anyway. And agreed on Lando. I love Donald Glover. He should do well in Lando's role.

Wow this new dude does a terrible Han and would it have killed them to get someone who at least sounds a bit like HF? Lowest of expectations right now.

CD'S BAR

wow han solo was kicked out of a pilot academy for being too rebellious. "i'm gonna be the best pilot in the galaxy."

couldn't be more generic if they tried (and i bet they did try.)

Last edited:

prag16

Banned
I'm not sure if these hot takes about how awful/terrible it is based on that short trailer are justified. Definitely could go either way. This actor is wholly unconvincing as Han Solo, but that may change watching the full film. Trying to be cautiously optimistic. The synopsis that leaked a couple months back, if true, sounds like it should be a fun storyline.

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, but until I hear a movie is focused on the force and lightsabers,

I'm the opposite. Star Wars movies don't need the Force and all that to be decent/great - R1 proved that. It's nice to get a break from all that stuff. I'm not saying every non-episode movie needs to ignore it, but it's refreshing.

NickFire

I'm the opposite. Star Wars movies don't need the Force and all that to be decent/great - R1 proved that. It's nice to get a break from all that stuff. I'm not saying every non-episode movie needs to ignore it, but it's refreshing.
Different folks, different tastes. For me, the highlight of R1 was Vader's rampage. Its the only scene I've watched more than once. Will be interested to find out how long these movies gross as hoped if they keep the force on the backburner. My guess is not very.

Petrae

It took three consecutive years of Star Wars films and their endless hype to convert game from series fan to former fan. I never bothered with The Last Jedi and won’t bother with this, either.

You can’t miss what’s never gone.

Kadayi

Banned
I'm going to guess it's a boy meets girl, boy meets a boy with the Millenium Falcon and Wookie and they play swapsies.

Although it definitely seems cool to hate the new Star Wars films I love them. As a fan who existed on no more than EU books and comics for years getting all these movies is great. I would encourage people not to get to hung up on the idea that a bad movie (not that I think any of the new films have actually been bad) somehow will ruin star wars. Think of Star Wars as like a genre, you don't get upset every time a mediocre world war 2 film is released. Inglorious Bastards didn't ruin the cannon of the great escape. Just take each new film as a piece of entertainment based in the universe you love. If it doesn't meet your expectations then fine.

TheWatcher

Banned
Young Han and Lando look absolutely nothing like Han and Lando lol. This movie did not need to be made. Solo is Harrison Ford, and Lando is Billy Dee Williams. There was no need to ruin the backstories of these characters. Hope it completely and utterly bombs.

Mahadev

They re edited it with the actual trailer just to show us how right they were.

This really shows how cookie cutter even their trailers are nowadays. They're so predictable because almost everything Disney does nowadays is made in the most formulaic way possible.

Young Han and Lando look absolutely nothing like Han and Lando lol. This movie did not need to be made. Solo is Harrison Ford, and Lando is Billy Dee Williams. There was no need to ruin the backstories of these characters. Hope it completely and utterly bombs.

This post is exactly why I'm glad the 'fans' don't own the franchise.

Petrae

The movie needed to be made because Disney wants more money. The House of Mouse doesn’t give shit one about what these films do to the history of the franchise, as long as fans pony up their credits and add to its stacks of cash that can already fill the inside of a planet.

I won’t bother with this film because I really don’t want or need a Han Solo backstory. He’s a better character with a lot of unknowns in his past. I prefer to remember him before Disney wrecked him because nostalgia. The fact Han and Lando look 100% different isn’t as disappointing, since Ford and Williams are old men now and having them in it wouldn’t have worked.

Solo might “bomb” in comparison to other Star Wars films, but it’ll still rake in hundreds of millions of dollars. Real Star Wars fatigue hasn’t set in for everyone just yet; another dozen movies in the next decade will accelerate that process, though.

luxsol

Although it definitely seems cool to hate the new Star Wars films I love them. As a fan who existed on no more than EU books and comics for years getting all these movies is great. I would encourage people not to get to hung up on the idea that a bad movie (not that I think any of the new films have actually been bad) somehow will ruin star wars. Think of Star Wars as like a genre, you don't get upset every time a mediocre world war 2 film is released. Inglorious Bastards didn't ruin the cannon of the great escape. Just take each new film as a piece of entertainment based in the universe you love. If it doesn't meet your expectations then fine.
This is how i see it, but Disney has ruined my confidence.
Everything but R1 so far has been an awful rehash, like some cheap cartoon from the 80s trying to cash in on a popular franchise. They're retelling the OT but for a new generation, like James Bond Jr or Rambo

R1 itself was basically about as good as one of the current cartoons.

SonicSleuth

In the grand scheme of things, Harrison Ford is probably the most charismatic actor of his generation, without seeming to TRY too hard. Re-casting Solo as some schmuck who happened to be in a Coen Bros movie was a terrible idea.

When they cast young Indy in Last Crusade, it worked. They found a kid with a huge amount of natural charisma and untapped talent (River Phoenix) and it was fun to watch. I think this kid just... doesn't have IT. Few people do.

Heck, look at the Baldwin Brothers. Four brothers, all vaguely look and sound similar, only one has IT. Harrison Ford had IT more than just about anybody. Ironically, one of the few young actors who has a ton of charisma is Oscar Isaac... who's playing X-Wing Han in the other movies. LOL.

On the plus side, Donald Glover has a TON of charisma, so maybe it'll make up for the deficit.

mrkgoo

In the grand scheme of things, Harrison Ford is probably the most charismatic actor of his generation, without seeming to TRY too hard. Re-casting Solo as some schmuck who happened to be in a Coen Bros movie was a terrible idea.

When they cast young Indy in Last Crusade, it worked. They found a kid with a huge amount of natural charisma and untapped talent (River Phoenix) and it was fun to watch. I think this kid just... doesn't have IT. Few people do.

Heck, look at the Baldwin Brothers. Four brothers, all vaguely look and sound similar, only one has IT. Harrison Ford had IT more than just about anybody. Ironically, one of the few young actors who has a ton of charisma is Oscar Isaac... who's playing X-Wing Han in the other movies. LOL.

On the plus side, Donald Glover has a TON of charisma, so maybe it'll make up for the deficit.
It's a tough sell. I think part of the problem is that Han wasn't particularly old in the original movie. How old is he supposed to be In this? Doesn't a seem like a big difference.

Also I can buy a different actor not looking like the original so long as they nail the lines and mannerisms. For example Fassbender as Steve Jobs.

Doesn't seem to so far.

Sapiens

Rumour has it that Lando is a force user but then at the end a bowing ball hits him on the head and he forgets in time for empire strikes back.

MC Safety

I imagine this film will be servicing the fannerds who need origin stories for Han's first meeting/friendship with Lando and Chewbacca, the acquisition of the Millennium Falcon, the Kessel Run, etc., etc.

Grinchy

Banned
I imagine this film will be servicing the fannerds who need origin stories for Han's first meeting/friendship with Lando and Chewbacca, the acquisition of the Millennium Falcon, the Kessel Run, etc., etc.
I mean, what else could it be about? lol

If it was about anything else, it wouldn't even be a Han Solo origin movie.

MC Safety

I mean, what else could it be about? lol

If it was about anything else, it wouldn't even be a Han Solo origin movie.

It doesn't have to be an origin story.

Remember the excitement when we all learned how Indiana Jones got his hat? Or the thrill of seeing young Sherlock Holmes meet Watson before he first met Watson?

Last edited:
They re edited it with the actual trailer just to show us how right they were.

What kind of witchcraft is this? It's insane how predictable the entertainment industry has become. But then again, considering how TFA was pretty much just a copy of the original, I'm not that surprised.

I'm glad my cinema is doing 50% off tickets on certain days. I'd hate to pay more than 4 euro for that since it has dissaster written all over it.

Top Bottom