• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It's on netflix so I finally watched it. Gotta say, it's better than I expected. Not bad for a random netflix movie.

Visually, I thought it was consistently interesting. Definitely a darker, grimier style than most Star Wars.

Chewie and Han had some good scenes. The train heist was exciting. They kept it small and didn't overdo it too much.

J-Roderton

Watched it yesterday and didn't think it was so absurdly bad as I had heard so many times. I didn't love it, but certainly not a complete shit show.

Catphish

I maintain that Rogue One and Solo are the only good Star Wars movies since Disney took over. They were better films, and more respectful of the source material, than either Ep.7 or 8.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
It's on netflix so I finally watched it. Gotta say, it's better than I expected. Not bad for a random netflix movie.

Visually, I thought it was consistently interesting. Definitely a darker, grimier style than most Star Wars.

Chewie and Han had some good scenes. The train heist was exciting. They kept it small and didn't overdo it too much.

Yeah watched it the other day and it wasn’t so bad as it was made out to be. Also all those stories coming out during production about Emilia Clarke having trouble/needing an acting coach...I wonder if they were just BS...because I thought she was pretty good.

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Saw it this weekend, thought it was really good. I thought the cast was really great. I don't see what all the fuss was about.

SaviourMK2

Saw it when it finally became available on Netflix, I gotta say I enjoyed it, a little more than I enjoyed Rogue One. I regret not seeing it in theaters. I'll need to pick up the blu ray at some point, makes me hopeful again for a solo Obi-Wan movie

Last edited:
Watching it on Netflix and it’s better then I remembered. Maybe I went into the theater wanting to hate it? It’s not bad. A little too silly (I use that term lightly) here or there but not bad.

Love me some Emilia Clarke.

tkscz

I think my lack of Star Wars knowledge is why I liked this. I think some of it is a bit weird or silly, but the overall movie is good. Some of my friends didn't like it, but they are really into Star Wars, so some of the lore stuff annoyed them. However, it's just an enjoyable movie in my opinion.

Last edited:

Gander

Banned
It was solidly made Ron Howard did an admirable job cleaning up another director's mess. I think the queen of dragons was distracting they should have used an unknown talent.

Weiji

Banned
Watched it again this weekend, I maintain that it’s the only good Disney SW movie. Ironic given it’s box office take.

I’m watching it for a third time now it’s on Netflix. This movie keeps growing on me more and more. The characters are likeable and it has a single focus.

Because I'm also a shut in like the rest of you, I watched this movie for the first time on Netflix too. I actually enjoyed it, despite disliking the first twenty minutes or so. I feel like the movie was like 90% there. With just a little better editing and some tighter writing, it could've really pushed the action scenes to 11 and been a great popcorn flick that lived up to the Star Wars name. As it is, I feel like it was almost there. Close, but not quite. Closer than it probably deserved. Kind of similar to Rogue One in that respect.

Mr Hyde

After the trainwreck that was The Last Jedi I didn´t have much hopes for this one, but it was pretty good. Ron Howard usually puts out solid movies and this one is no exception. The cast was good, the action was great and it had a couple of memorable scenes that stuck out (such as the train heist, Han & Chewie meeting for the first time, introduction of Lando Calrissian and the ending).

The "A Star Wars Story"-movies have all been better than the main line efforts. Rogue One was better than Force Awakens and Solo was way better than The Last Jedi (which isn´t very hard to beat, since a movie about a dog taking a shit is better than TLJ). The news about Disney canning or slowing down these stand alone-movies makes me worried about the Obi-Wan spinoff. The ending in Solo is too good to just leave it hanging.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I actually loved it, but this is opposite day. Now you'll have to wonder whether this post is the opposite of what I meant or the previous one.

Though, both statements were made today, so I guess that doesn't help. Plus, if it was opposite day, I'd have to say it's not opposite day so that the opposite would make it true in the first place. That movie fucking sucked, though.

Last edited:
I actually loved it, but this is opposite day. Now you'll have to wonder whether this post is the opposite of what I meant or the previous one.

Though, both statements were made today, so I guess that doesn't help. Plus, if it was opposite day, I'd have to say it's not opposite day so that the opposite would make it true in the first place. That movie fucking sucked, though.

giphy.gif

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i have a copy of this but i still haven't seen it. every time I scrim through it, I can’t get over how dimly lit every scene is. what is the deal w this? this some kind of “prestige tv” look or something?

It’s almost shocking now to go back and watch the OT films. They were so bright and colorful by comparison

Gander

Banned
I think this movie would have been heightened with some casting changes.

I would replace the mentor role, instead of Woody Harrelson I would use Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Replace Emilia Clarke with Alicia Vikander and Han Solo would be Ansel Elgort.

J-Roderton

Did not think the lead could pull it off from trailer and posters, but after watching it he really was not that bad of a Han Solo.

I wanted to not like this film.

The "throw him to the beast" scene was kinda cool. I was waiting for some Rancor or some shit.

Gandara

Was prepared to hate it and found it wasn't that bad. The droid was a little annoying but didn't ruin the movie. Thought the leader of the pirates was an odd choice and felt they just did it for shock value. But the movie at least didn't make me feel confused like the the last jedi did with the tone all over the place and feeling more like Space Balls then Star Wars. At least the tone in this one felt consistent. I think I actually would be ok with more side stories then the main story at this point as they seemed better written.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I too recently watched Solo on Netflix.

Nah just kidding, watched it on a flight back from NY the other day. Fifteen minutes into the movie I was wanting to turn it off then Woody H's character appeared and saved the movie. Woody was good, Donald Glover was good. The main actor is pretty bad, he can't act for shit.

Not once did I ever wonder Han's origins, this film has no real right to exist but it isn't awful. The core theme of the film wasn't handled poorly, I forgot ALL about the Darth Maul thing until he appeared like "WHAT??" Surprised people in here aren't complaining about the oppression droid, it's in the movie for only like 20 minutes so it's not an issue for me though. Had more of a connection to Chewbacca than I did Han, mostly for obvious reasons. They need to stop with the Marvel humour in these movies btw.

Durask

It was a classic Hollywood caper movie with a Star Wars paint job. As such is was nothing new but entertaining and certainly better than the new trilogy.

It was actually the only new star wars movie i enjoyed. The hallway scene in Rogue 1 is the best new scene in star wars but solo was pretty enjoyable

I really wish they'd have the balls to do a sequel, I think it would be fun.

I don't care how ham-fisted they made all the "Soloisms" in the movie, it was entertaining, fast paced, and it felt like something NEW while still being familiar enough (ooo Falcon, ooo Star Destroyer, ooo Lando, etc).

I enjoyed Rogue One and [ S O L O ] a LOT more than any of the three sequel movies.

Hudo

I really wish they'd have the balls to do a sequel, I think it would be fun.

I don't care how ham-fisted they made all the "Soloisms" in the movie, it was entertaining, fast paced, and it felt like something NEW while still being familiar enough (ooo Falcon, ooo Star Destroyer, ooo Lando, etc).

I enjoyed Rogue One and [ S O L O ] a LOT more than any of the three sequel movies.
I agree. I enjoyed the spin-offs much more than the actual three sequel movies as well, especially Rogue One. And I would've loved to see the Obi-Wan movie but unfortunately, they've decided to degrade that into a stupid TV series for their Disyney+ shit.

Kev Kev

Would instantly make the movie better if it was given the full treatment with Ford's voice

i thought the actor did a phenomenal job. you could tell he really studied Ford in the OT and tried to evaluate the way he talked, his bod language, cadence of speech and even tone of voice. and he really looked like a young Ford! well, close enough.

im weird tho. Solo quite honestly might be my fav SW movie. with TLJ close by. of course ESB is my favorite im not a monster... but i do love all te SW movies and i felt Solo was fantastic and i love how they opened things up for new stories with that girl and darth maul, but apparently everyone else hates fun so i doubt we'll see a continuation of that

as ara as a deep fake. yeah, of course it'd be cool, but i dont know if the technology is there to convince me. and at any rate, youd be totally ripping off the talent and work that that actor put into the film, and bc Ford's face is on there, everyone would forget about the actor and just be giving harrison ford all the credit. totally not fair!

i think itd be pretty cool at best, with some graphical issues thrown in bc deep fake tech isnt perfect yet, and it would be borderline disrespectful at worst.

i dunno, i just dont understand the hate. the story, characters, writing, music, graphics... everything was great! its one of the things that finally convinced me that there are enough people in the world who realized that hating SW generates clicks and $$$, and as a result every new SW that comes out will be hated and railed against by those people, and then everyone just globs onto that and... well, essentially, we will never have a nother SW movie that people view as good. there will always be that insanely loud vocal minority with tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of youtube subs (millions???) that will hate it for ad revenue...

my biggest issues w SW were in rise of skywalker. i thought they made some weird choices, but nothing that breaks the series. 🤷‍♂️ whatever, i guess im easy to entertain, but i really think people hate level of SW is way over exaggerated.

Last edited:

Dazrael

Solo is a pretty good SW flick...if it wasn’t for Lando’s droid. Her attitude makes me wretch and what they did with her and the Falcon made me shake my head with disbelief. You can’t ruin my favourite fictional spaceship that way.

Other than that it was pretty sweet. I loved how they manage to slip Teras Kasi in there, that made me smile.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i dunno, i just dont understand the hate. the story, characters, writing, music, graphics... everything was great!
from what i hear, the people who have seen the movie like it.

personally, the Last Jedi made me hate SW forever. when Han's dice showed up and i realized that the only Luke-Leia reunion in the ST was going to be a weak plug for the Solo movie (the iCoNiC DICE!!!), at that moment i just swore it off. no thanks. 39 years throwing money at these people is enough for me.

so blame the hate on that movie. it's the reason i still i haven't seen this and probably never will.

Last edited:
i thought the actor did a phenomenal job. you could tell he really studied Ford in the OT and tried to evaluate the way he talked, his bod language, cadence of speech and even tone of voice. and he really looked like a young Ford! well, close enough.

im weird tho. Solo quite honestly might be my fav SW movie. with TLJ close by. of course ESB is my favorite im not a monster... but i do love all te SW movies and i felt Solo was fantastic and i love how they opened things up for new stories with that girl and darth maul, but apparently everyone else hates fun so i doubt we'll see a continuation of that

as ara as a deep fake. yeah, of course it'd be cool, but i dont know if the technology is there to convince me. and at any rate, youd be totally ripping off the talent and work that that actor put into the film, and bc Ford's face is on there, everyone would forget about the actor and just be giving harrison ford all the credit. totally not fair!

i think itd be pretty cool at best, with some graphical issues thrown in bc deep fake tech isnt perfect yet, and it would be borderline disrespectful at worst.

i dunno, i just dont understand the hate. the story, characters, writing, music, graphics... everything was great! its one of the things that finally convinced me that there are enough people in the world who realized that hating SW generates clicks and $$$, and as a result every new SW that comes out will be hated and railed against by those people, and then everyone just globs onto that and... well, essentially, we will never have a nother SW movie that people view as good. there will always be that insanely loud vocal minority with tens of thousands or even hundreds of thousands of youtube subs (millions???) that will hate it for ad revenue...

my biggest issues w SW were in rise of skywalker. i thought they made some weird choices, but nothing that breaks the series. 🤷‍♂️ whatever, i guess im easy to entertain, but i really think people hate level of SW is way over exaggerated.

Personally after the little intro thing where I was kinda like "ehhh that's not Solo.." I was engrossed and didn't even think about it. Side by side stuff looks jarring, of course, but once actually sit down to watch the movie there is so much going on that you really won't focus on the actor unless you force yourself too. I thought he did a good job of capturing the essence, and one of the things I really liked was it felt like the Solo character we know from the OT came out more and more as the movie went along.

I do wish they would have went Marvel on SW's ass.. where the stand along movies would have somehow connected directly with the ST or something. It just felt all so disconnected.

ManaByte

I agree with everything you said.

But...

luke.gif

Kev Kev

it was hard to find scenes, i guess disney really cracks down on that stuff, but heres a decent example of what i was talking about (just the part about him obviously having studied ford in the OT). just look at his eye brows and the way he cocks them, the way he nods his head and leans in, sort of looking up at chewie like that, the tone and cadence of his voice. theres even better examples but i dunno man, i wasnt going into the movie looking for him to be exactly like ford, and was pleasantly surprised to see that he had done his home work.

maybe people hate the rest of the movie or SW is already ruined for them and thats fine, but i think its worth defending Alden Ehrenreich bc he obviously tried to be as true to the chaactar and actor as possible, while still bringing his own acting chops to the table. it seems very difficult to do, and he did on set. thats impressive imo.

Last edited:
Top Bottom