• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some additional Dark Souls 2 details

Dresden

•Mirror Knight. Very tough boss who can deflect magic with the shield and can summon help. PR guy said it was just AI for the demo which must mean it's meant to be other players ala Old Monk. Seems it can summon multiple players if you dillydally long enough. The mirror knight, he summons a player really quickly. Like 5 seconds from start to finish.

•Your character and the enemies seem slightly larger than in DS. Jump moved to L3.

Haha, that mirror knight detail. No more turtling.

I wonder if jump being assigned to L3 means that sprint will be shifted there, too.

RavenH2

The way it is worded it looks like it's warp to any bonfire.

"In a rare example of mercy, the developers have also added a true teleportation system. Explorers can instantly travel between any of the bonfires they’ve discovered across the game world, alleviating much of the tedious—and perilous—travel required by the original, in which only a fraction of bonfires offered warping."

I hope I'm not reading too much into it, but the way it is worded might imply also warping from anywhere, not just at bonfires?

I'm sure there will be some kind of requirement for this, a la:

Kindle the flame five times, and it will be available for teletransportation

Leunam

Wonder what the invasion mechanic will be like for this. Maybe part of a covenant?

Would also be cool to be given the option of invading someone else by stepping into the mirror and bypassing the fight that way.

What kind of derp would wear the lantern in the same hand as his weapon? The lantern was clearly meant to be used in the left hand, jesus...
There wasn't any change in light intensity when i took out the lamp. That's called bad feedback, even tought it is an user error. But they gave me bad feedback, so i couldnt correct my mistake.

Btw, im playing the game withouth using any kind of help. So im in the vast minority of players.
The controls were perfect in Dark Souls,I hope we can customise them back to that layout.
For me they were almost perfect. Evade and run on "B" doesnt make sense to me. Should be on "A"

On the other side of the bonfire a long dark hall awaits. In the southern alcove several candles are lit, and according to Tanimura each of these candles represents a death. Whenever any player online dies at the hands of the boss in this area, a new candle will be lit, and you will see it.

That boss is the Mirror Knight: the mongrel no journalist has managed to defeat. He's a tall knight with a sweeping heavy sword attack and a lightning projectile. He also wields a mirror which, in the final build, will be an invasion entry point for other human players. This means you'll be dealing with not only a boss but also an invader, which is hilariously sadistic.

Remind me to disconnect my ethernet cable while facing him.

So how many candles will this place have?

mansion_on_fire.jpg

SJRB

Gold Member
Jumping with L3 is a nightmare.

...so yeah, welcome back to Dark Souls, I guess? Even the control scheme is torture.

Majukun

Four Kings wasn't an unfair fight. It was a perfectly balanced affair where you had to do everything perfectly or you would die. Allow me to illustrate:

you need to have th e right character/weapon,if you don't (like me) you need to be at an high enough level to keep up with their cloning,killing them really fast..if you can't deal enough damage, they attack you toghether and there's no way to avoid their attacks..for me,that is unfair..i want to be able to use the type of character i've chosen and be able to avoid the attacks with pure skill ..not being forced to level up my character because if i don't kill them fast enough the boss become impossible

Zaventem

you need to have th e right character/weapon,if you don't (like me) you need to be at an high enough level to keep up with their cloning,killing them really fast..if you can't deal enough damage, they attack you toghether and there's no way to avoid their attacks..for me,that is unfair..i want to be able to use the type of character i've chosen and be able to avoid the attacks with pure skill ..not being forced to level up my character because if i don't kill them fast enough the boss become impossible

He's lvl 1 in that screenshot so i don't see how you can still be claiming you need to be high level and it's not random. Just because it doesn't follow the usual pattern doesn't mean it's unfair.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCAcFixc8Q8&

A good walkthrough for the boss.

Seance

Banned
There were health regen items in Dark Souls.
Sanctus, Butcher Knife, Ring of the evil eye, Replenishment.
They're showing off a tough boss fight, which in retail spwans invaders as well, and you're still thinking they're going the easy route?

Sanctus is a shit shield that heals a whopping 1HP per second.

Butcher Knife/Server heal a Huge 5HP per strike, Smoughs Hammer is 10HP. All these are strength weapons and are balanced to accommodate for the shitty health regen they give.

Ring of Evil Eye? Are you joking? 30HP per kill makes it one of the shittiest rings in the game. I'd take Tiny beings ring over that shit.

Replenishment is a casting. Requires stat investment, easily countered in PvP with a backstab.

As for Mushrooms/Divine blessings, yes they were a shit addition to Dark Souls and should never have existed. However they were a rare loot and could not be purchased (2 in the game could) or farmed.

He's lvl 1 in that screenshot so i don't see how you can still be claiming you need to be high level and it's not random. Just because it doesn't follow the usual pattern doesn't mean it's unfair.

Yeah, 4K is a pain but with practice you can beat them at low level. I've downed them at SL 23 with a buffed Shortsword, the key is learning how to dodge the annoying stuff so you can stay on the offensive (and you can dodge ALL of them, including the grab and homing beams).

Majukun

he just has a really good weapon (if i remember well of dark souls stats works for weapons)

you still have to deal a big amount of damage in a small amount of time,something that is a pretty difficult thing to do if your character is focused on speed and doesn't have a strong enough weapon...or defensive magic so that you don't need to care about enemy attacks

basically,the boss doesn't allow different approaches,you can just use brute force,any other methods is doomed to fail because after a couple of clones,you are fucked.

i too managed to do the same thing the guy made in the video..but only when i came back with more levels and an upgraded weapon,so that the kings would fall before the next one appeared.
Yeah, 4K is a pain but with practice you can beat them at low level. I've downed them at SL 23 with a buffed Shortsword, the key is learning how to dodge the annoying stuff so you can stay on the offensive (and you can dodge ALL of them, including the grab and homing beams).

you can dodge as long as the fight remains 1 vs 1...when more kings attacks at the same time,it's impossible to keep an eye at all of them and avoid all their attacks,that's why you need raw power and nothing else..my character didn't have that strenght,so my game reached a screeching alt because of them,because as i was,it was impossible to defeat them.

luckily i didn't make the aramis painting world,so i just naturally leveled without grinding in places i had already completed.

KarmaCow

They are a drop from common mobs:

Prepare to cry

That seems antithetical to the Estus Flask mechanic. IIRC the healing system was changed because they wanted to reduce grinding.

edit: though humanity also healed you, I wonder if it's still in the game.

Hell I'd rather take on a boss + an invader than have to deal with that bullshit like S&O again.

S&O are somewhat predictable though, this seems even harder.

demidar

I think the lifegems are fine if on average enemies are much more dangerous. More difficult but more ways to regenerate health isn't a bad idea, but that's dependent on how much harder the game is. If Mirror Knight is any indication of how much From wants to bend you over a barrel then it should be fine.

Likewise, warp from the beginning can be balanced by either limiting the simultaneous amount of bonfires being up, or making bonfires a lot more distant from each other making getting to one a lot harder and harrowing. That's a good reason to implement lifegems actually, if the bonfire is so far away that getting by on 5 Estus Flasks isn't even remotely enough.

Hypron

he just has a really good weapon (if i remember well of dark souls stats works for weapons)

you still have to deal a big amount of damage in a small amount of time,something that is a pretty difficult thing to do if your character is focused on speed and doesn't have a strong enough weapon...or defensive magic so that you don't need to care about enemy attacks

You really don't need a good weapon though. I beat the 4 kings today with a SL1 character with a fire hand axe +5... I was wearing harvel's armour (any super heavy armour will do though, the giant set works just as well) and a grass crest shield (although, you can use herbs instead). I died a couple of times before succeeding but it definitely wasn't that bad.

And if I remember correctly, when I killed with my first character I was wearing a rapier, which is definitely not one of the biggest weapons in the game.

FtHTiny

That boss sounds like many players will just play him offline if it´s possible. But if you play against the boss and a human it would be really hard depending on how good the player is.

KarmaCow

Have they said anything about how it will handle being disconnected? It was annoying Dark Souls when getting disconnected meant getting kicked back to the main menu. I'm hoping it's more seamless.

Zaventem

I think the lifegems are fine if on average enemies are much more dangerous. More difficult but more ways to regenerate health isn't a bad idea, but that's dependent on how much harder the game is. If Mirror Knight is any indication of how much From wants to bend you over a barrel then it should be fine.

Lifewise, warp from the beginning can be balanced by either limiting the simultaneous amount of bonfires being up, or making bonfires a lot more distant from each other making getting to one a lot harder and harrowing. That's a good reason to implement lifegems actually, if the bonfire is so far away that getting by on 5 Estus Flasks isn't even remotely enough.

I think they're fine too but they have to be in moderation. They even heal slower than humanity which everyone had in abundance and which the 'omg dark souls2 sold out!' is pretending to forget.

demidar

That boss sounds like many players will just play him offline if it´s possible. But if you play against the boss and a human it would be really hard depending on how good the player is.

Won't work, sounds like if you're offline (like on the E3 floor) an NPC invader will come out instead. It'll still be really hard.

I think they're fine too but they have to be in moderation. They even heal slower than humanity which everyone had in abundance and which the 'omg dark souls2 sold out!' is pretending to forget.

It's hard to make a judgement because I haven't seen how fast the healing is.

Seance

Banned
Have they said anything about how it will handle being disconnected? It was annoying Dark Souls when getting disconnected meant getting kicked back to the main menu. I'm hoping it's more seamless.

lolno. That means hosts could disconnect from invaders with complete impunity.

squidyj

I've never understood smough and ornstein as being that tough, sure I died a few times there but no more than I died to many other bosses. You just have to choose when to attack carefully.

Wheel Skeletons were a pain in the ass as were the Anor Londo archers. that's all though

L3 is jump? I hope they have custom controller mapping or this will just be difficulty for the sake of assholery.

Why don't they just make the screen black so you can't see while they're at it.

the way the camera works (or doesn't work) in Dark Souls sometimes it's like they already do.

weevles

L3 is jump? I hope they have custom controller mapping or this will just be difficulty for the sake of assholery.

Why don't they just make the screen black so you can't see while they're at it.

KarmaCow

lolno. That means hosts could disconnect from invaders with complete impunity.

I haven't disconnected while being invaded but isn't like that now? I got disconnected a bunch of times due to GFWL crapping out and all that happened was as if I simply exited the game manually. I could start up the game in offline mode and be right where I was, with all the enemies still dead.

Toxi

Banned
I'm wondering how they're going to handle balancing invaders with hosts for this fight; maybe invaded black phantoms will have their health cut in half ala curse or soul form, or maybe they're relying on hosts to summon.

Either way, I can't wait to play the game and topple this mofo.

Doesn't really scare me. There will be a shield to negate most of that lightning and most bosses you can take down really quickly or at least evade long enough to deal with the invader.

Also there will probably be summon spots for phantom assistance.

There was a point where Dark Souls had a lot of mystique but really once you get through a good chunk of the game you realize it's just a matter of finding the right blacksmiths and trial and error for whatever shit they throw at you in between bonfires.

I'm looking forward to the game but not terribly so.

Majukun

You really don't need a good weapon though. I beat the 4 kings today with a SL1 character with a fire hand axe +5... I was wearing harvel's armour (any super heavy armour will do though, the giant set works just as well) and a grass crest shield (although, you can use herbs instead). I died a couple of times before succeeding but it definitely wasn't that bad.

And if I remember correctly, when I killed with my first character I was wearing a rapier, which is definitely not one of the biggest weapons in the game.

yeah i know..but i didn't had enough strenght,because,as i have already said,my character was more of a nimble warrior with lot of dexterity and stamina..with an havel armour i was barely capable to move.

basically,to beat them you have to deal enough damage in a short amount of time,and you can do it if

a)you have sheer power
b)you have enough defense to sustain damage and not deplete all your stamina defending,so that you don't waste too much time avoiding damage and can focus on attack most of the time
c)both

if you don't have those,yourr only chanmce is to go back and return when you can deal enough damage..while at pretty much every other boss (except the O&S duo),i could just focusing on avoiding damage and counter,depleting boss life little by little

Dantard

Neo Member
Humanity is 100% heal, of course it will be faster. However you were also defenseless while using it. That lifegem works way too fast for my liking.

Holy shit, I hadn't seen the recovery speed! That is insane! How can this be a common drop???

Top Bottom