• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some additional Dark Souls 2 details

Sickbean

The only thing that struck me as unfair in Dark Souls are the Anor Londo archers...fuck those guys.

Obligatory -

FYBph.jpg

ElFly

So what happens when you defeat the mirror knight and hopefully get the mirror shield?

Do you get a mirror that can invaders get out from?

Can you leave said mirror looking out a chasm or some funny place?

I agree. It's a cool aspect that I do hope is used for a couple boss fights. If it's every boss fight then it's going to be bad. Especially if the PvP in this game is as exploitable as it was in DS1.

Yup.

That's weak as hell From. Boss fights used to be skill based affairs where even low level runs were possible because of the game's battle system. Now you'll have to be geared to fight gankers hiding behind a boss because they'll be the main threat, not the boss.

Only way I approve is if it's select boss fights or if it's back to Demon's Souls style where monsters (and now bosses) attack any player character indiscriminately, be it host, black or blue/white phantom.

Caerith

Again, just because it was hard doesn't mean it wasn't fair. After the first time I beat them and knew how to handle them better, I had no problems with subsequent characters. I'd say that was one of the best fights in the whole game.
I'm not saying they weren't fair, just that they contribute more than their fair share of deaths. Even knowing the patterns, the longer a fight drags on the more likely you are to make a mistake. You spend so much time dodging for your life against S&O that the fight can go on for a very long time.

actually i only found unfair 1 or 2 of the bosses (like the 4 kings) and some parts (like blight town and its akward frame rate and camera),but for the rest,it was pretty fair
Four Kings wasn't an unfair fight. It was a perfectly balanced affair where you had to do everything perfectly or you would die. Allow me to illustrate:

Yup.

That's weak as hell From. Boss fights used to be skill based affairs where even low level runs were possible because of the game's battle system. Now you'll have to be geared to fight gankers hiding behind a boss because they'll be the main threat, not the boss.

Only way I approve is if it's select boss fights or if it's back to Demon's Souls style where monsters (and now bosses) attack any player character indiscriminately, be it host, black or blue/white phantom.
You might want to reread the OP: it's just the Mirror Knight. His gimmick is summoning black phantoms from his shield.

Gestahl

Four Kings wasn't an unfair fight. It was a perfectly balanced affair where you had to do everything perfectly or you would die.

Yeah the thing the Four Kings fight does is toss the player's strategy onto its head. Most of the game trains you to be careful and patient, keep that goddamn shield up etc, but the best strategy for the FK is treating it like all out nuclear war. The more damage you can deal and the faster you can deal it, the easier the fight becomes exponentially.

DeBurgo

I thought the reason why they didn't put in a fight like the old monk fight in Dark Souls was 'cause people felt the invader mechanic was too imbalanced for a boss fight. Makes me think they're probably gonna handicap the invader this time around, somehow.

x3sphere

Wait, so there is a playable build on the floor? Why is there no video of it? If there is, could someone please direct me to it.

I dunno but it is playable in Namco's meeting room. No video allowed though. Anyway that boss is quite difficult. I just got back from playing, only got him down to half health after a few tries. I have played through the original so I'm not a newbie either :p

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
The Anor Londo archers aren't unfair in my opinion since you have warning ahead of time.
For me what's truly unfair are the worms in Demon Ruins. They come out with no warning whatsover, it's almost impossible to roll through two of them without taking damage, and they can eat you for a one hit death. The crumbling floor during The Bed of Chaos is unfair too.

Orayn

Has it been mentioned that the warp hability will be active since the begining.

I don't like that. What do you think about it?

Not too torn up about it, it didn't really ruin the flow of Dark Souls and was really just a time saver for traveling along established routes, since you still had to discover every bonfire and shortcut.

If anything, it'll give them more license to put work into elaborate individual areas while worrying about little less about them being a pain to enter/leave.

Demon's Souls has way more unfair bullshit than Dark Souls, and I played Dark first.

I actually can't think of any unfair moments in Dark Souls. Perfectly designed game.

linko9

Yeah, I'm very disappointed in this. Getting around the world is really fun in these games, and makes it so you get to know the world like the back of your hand. Won't be nearly as easy if you're just warping around everywhere. It's one of those features that people will say "so just don't use it" about, but that's a cop out. If it makes the overall experience less rewarding, it shouldn't be in the game. That said, I've obviously got to wait until I actually play the game to make any actual assessment, but if warping to every bonfire was allowed from the beginning in Dark Souls, it would have made the experience less rich.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Demon's Souls has way more unfair bullshit than Dark Souls, and I played Dark first.

I actually can't think of any unfair moments in Dark Souls. Perfectly designed game.
Come on son. Dark is competing with Demon's for my game of generation but Lost Izalith was a complete clusterfuck of level design.

I wouldn't like that. What's the point of an interconnected world if no one will ever travel normally? Make use of the world structure.

Yeah, I'm very disappointed in this. Getting around the world is really fun in these games, and makes it so you get to know the world like the back of your hand. Won't be nearly as easy if you're just warping around everywhere. It's one of those features that people will say "so just don't use it" about, but that's a cop out. If it makes the overall experience less rewarding, it shouldn't be in the game. That said, I've obviously got to wait until I actually play the game to make any actual assessment, but if warping to every bonfire was allowed from the beginning in Dark Souls, it would have made the experience less rich.

This.

feel

Yes From, YES

I hope the game is a bitch to you contantly with this kind of stuff being thrown at you often, make you scared shitless of every step, Dark Souls felt a bit too relaxing and safe for some long stretches.

Mileena

Banned

If you think the Bed of Chaos is perfectly designed you have no taste, sorry. Izalith in general is an awful level.

Still, Dark > Demons

Impossible. Old monk was lame by himself, you're getting a boss that can wreck your shit offline and you get to invade people.

Pretty much. I was a little disappointed when I went to fight Old monk, there was no one around to invade so I ended up fighting the AI, and killed him on my first try.

This mirror boss however looks intolerably cruel. I can't wait.

More or less my sentiments also.
I wouldn't like that. What's the point of an interconnected world if no one will ever travel normally? Make use of the world structure.
You mean you don't like that. Since it seems pretty much set in stone and appears to be one of the measures the team/publisher is making to make the game more accesible.

I wish this game wasn't releasing in 2014. I would prefer a version targetted to higher end hardware. 3 games for the same spec is way too much.

I really hope if you are playing this offline, there are NPC BPs that roll out of the sheild. Wouldnt be the same if its just some regular enemes popping out.

While we are on the subject of NPC BPs, please please pleaaaaase make them tougher. All of them area joke in DaS.

Dantard

Neo Member
Woot! The boss summons invaders? This is definitely one of the best news coming from Dark Souls II! Loved the Old Monk idea, but this is by far much cooler!

And to people that are complaining about not wanting invaders in their boss fights... You are thinking about it the wrong way, think about the opposite scenario. You gotta think that when you manage to beat the boss, you'll be given the *unique* opportunity to BE PART OF A BOSS FIGHT in a game! AS THE BOSS! How awesome is that? C'mon!

Being the Old Monk was already cool, but being an enemy alongside the mirror knight actually gives even people with less than stellar skill a chance to matter against good players that reach the boss.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to

I thought he just said that you will be able to warp to all the bonfires... Not necessarily that it's from the sart of the game, or that there aren't other restrictions on it.

I agree with you tho, totes.

Funny side note: I knew the archers were coming from reading about the game, and I kind of just ran through them all to see how tough it would be and ended up making it lol. First try.

Caerith

They had warping in Demon's Souls. They had warping in Dark Souls. It didn't ruin either game.

Yeah the thing the Four Kings fight does is toss the player's strategy onto its head. Most of the game trains you to be careful and patient, keep that goddamn shield up etc, but the best strategy for the FK is treating it like all out nuclear war. The more damage you can deal and the faster you can deal it, the easier the fight becomes exponentially.
Caution and patience are good, but sitting behind a shield all day and poking things with a spear is not the only way to play Dark Souls.

Come on son. Dark is competing with Demon's for my game of generation but Lost Izalith was a complete clusterfuck of level design.

Yeah, that part sucked. Nothing else wrong with the game though.

Demon's had more trial and error. More times where I feel you WILL die no matter how cautious you are. Like the mindflayers in latria. No way to know what the hell those guys are capable of until you die by them a few times. Or the dragon in 1-2. And 1-4. How are you supposed to just know how to run past his flames? Or that's even possible to run past them at all? Even when you do figure out how to run past them, it doesn't seem like something you should be able to do. Totally counterintuitive.

Gestahl

They had warping in Demon's Souls. They had warping in Dark Souls. It didn't ruin either game.

Caution and patience are good, but sitting behind a shield all day and poking things with a spear is not the only way to play Dark Souls.

Alot of the late game bosses tend to throw in wrenches like that into the works now that I think about it. Nito and his little clique of skellies, going behind Seath is suicide compared to just whacking him up front, parry becoming a thing with the last boss, From really knows how to play with the player's expectations.

Grief.exe

Yup.

Keep in mind that you would have to be in human form to get invaded.

So if you are doing an SL1 run, don't go human, don't summon for that particular fight.

If you are good enough to do an SL1 run, then you don't need help.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Yup.

Come on guys, are you actually reading the quote in the OP? Where does it say that invasions will be possible in every boss fight? Has a director walked up to you on the show floor and told you that? It specifically says this is a unique feature of the Mirror Knight boss, which will be absolutely awesome. So please quit getting your panties into a bunch about Nothing.

Btw, are you sure that regular enemies attacked Black Phantoms in Demon's? I never played that online as much as Dark, but it sounds like a weird idea... part of the fun of being the cheeky invader is to use the environment/enemies to your advantage.

Woot! The boss summons invaders? This is definitely one of the best news coming from Dark Souls II! Loved the Old Monk idea, but this is by far much cooler!

And to people that are complaining about not wanting invaders in their boss fights... You are thinking about it the wrong way, think about the opposite scenario. You gotta think that when you manage to beat the boss, you'll be given the *unique* opportunity to BE PART OF A BOSS FIGHT in a game! AS THE BOSS! How awesome is that? C'mon!

Being the Old Monk was already cool, but being an enemy alongside the mirror knight actually gives even people with less than stellar skill a chance to matter against good players that reach the boss.

This guy has the right idea. Positive. Mental. Attitude.

Top Bottom