• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some additional Dark Souls 2 details

Celegus

General demographic of causes of death in Dark Souls:
  • 1.2% - Invaders.
  • 2.1% - "What the-- oh."
  • 3.0% - "Oops."
  • 3.7% - "FUUUU--"
  • 45% - Smough[*]45% - Ornstein

Again, just because it was hard doesn't mean it wasn't fair. After the first time I beat them and knew how to handle them better, I had no problems with subsequent characters. I'd say that was one of the best fights in the whole game.

Akito

ir32KvAOlzXph.gif

I assume this is the guy they're talking about

So much style, god I love From's artstyle. I want to undergo a media black out for this game but I doubt I'm strong enough to pull it off :(

Again, just because it was hard doesn't mean it wasn't fair. After the first time I beat them and knew how to handle them better, I had no problems with subsequent characters. I'd say that was one of the best fights in the whole game.

Agreed. My first time through DS was online, but 100% free of summons, so the challenge was immense; and it was delicious. I'm actually very proud of that, as far as video game achievements go. O&S was a definite highlight.

Like many others here, I rarely dabbled in PvP because the ins-and-outs are just insane; couple that with lag and I made the call fairly early on to soak in the unique atmosphere and gameplay on my lonesome. To each their own.

Even without the PvP element, which I know many devout fans claim to be the best part about the game, it's still the best game I've ever played and I'm more than happy to fly desolately solo once more.

Dark Souls wasn't fair, >60% of the game was horseshit. It's pretty much known.

You played the game with a broken and mutilated thumb after hyping the game to the god damn moon. You set yourself up for disappointment. Stop it, Dark Souls was still a great game.

Celegus

Agreed. My first time through DS was online, but 100% free of summons, so the challenge was immense; and it was delicious. I'm actually very proud of that, as far as video game achievements go.

Like many others here, I rarely dabbled in PvP because the ins-and-outs are just insane; couple that with lag and I decided fairly early on that I was better off taking in the unique atmosphere and gameplay on my lonesome. To each their own.

Even without the PvP element, which I know many devout fans claim to be the best part about the game, it's still the best game I've ever played and I'm more an happy to fly completely solo once more.

Right on. I platinum'd Demon's/Dark Souls completely solo, except for the couple covenant trophies and such where you needed to go online. Getting invaded just kills the pacing, and summoning others ruins the lonely and oppressive atmosphere I love so much. I think they're novel ideas, but don't fit at all with my personal take on the games.

It's fair, it's just challenging. They have a pretty clean move set, and it's not out of the realm of a player's capability to handle them. I ended up having a tougher time on the way to them after the snipers just because of getting raided.

That said, they did hand my ass to me on NG+. That was a spike I hadn't anticipated, but I'm pretty sure I'll pass it with some smart gear and the right set of colleagues.

Praise the Sun.

Also...in boss raiding? Say it ain't so. Gotta be a covenant thing.

The only thing that struck me as unfair in Dark Souls are the Anor Londo archers...fuck those guys.

See, that was the part of the game that really tested my metal. It's not about picking them off, it's not about trying to find a way around, it's just about push the fuck through. So brutal, but it's really over in about 2 minutes if you do it right.

Dyno

Reading the OP sent a shiver down my spine.

I'm still playing Dark Souls. Cleared out the Demon Ruins last night!

wastewater

Neo Member
Sounds amazing, I already know what i'm doing day one.

- Get to first point where invasions are possible.

- Invade invade invade invade, all day.

Sorry newbies, mwahahahaha.

Zaventem

Most dark souls players I've run into lately are dicks. I'd rather not deal with them in boss battles.

There is an offline mode in Dark Souls 2, and being a dickwrath is fun! you get satisfaction from ruining people's games! I love getting range mail honestly. i guess i'm just a spiteful person.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
You played the game with a broken and mutilated thumb after hyping the game to the god damn moon. You set yourself up for disappointment. Stop it, Dark Souls was still a great game.
Jesus, people still remember?!

zma1013

The only thing that struck me as unfair in Dark Souls are the Anor Londo archers...fuck those guys.

The best part is when you finally dodge their arrows and run up beside them and you're all like, "You're in for it now buddy, what you gonna do with the bow now that I'm right next to you slas... OH GOD!!! SWORD AND SHIELD!!! FUUUUUUUUU..."

Boss Man

So now they're lifting Old Monk from Demon's Souls.

The mirror thing is really cool, but having played Demon's Souls first continues to remind me how much more creative it was. Granted, that probably happens with all series and their first game to some extent. At least this boss takes the original idea and expands on it though.

edit: I am so glad that they are going back to dedicated servers this time. This boss would have been horrible.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The only thing more brutal that the torture in MGS5 has to be this mofo right there. Goddamn FROM. A boss that summons gankers. Hell yeah. Cannot wait for the hallway of shame with the candles hahaha. This game sounds amazing.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
The only thing more brutal that the torture in MGS5 has to be this mofo right there. Goddamn FROM. A boss that summons gankers. Hell yeah. Cannot wait for the hallway of shame with the candles hahaha. This game sounds amazing.

Ganking != Invading.

So this wasn't playable on the E3 floor at all? Seems weird.

Mr.Ock

If the online portion of the game will work well from the start, the first weeks after laungh are going to be very interesting. Invasions, invasions, invasions.

Majukun

actually i only found unfair 1 or 2 of the bosses (like the 4 kings) and some parts (like blight town and its akward frame rate and camera),but for the rest,it was pretty fair

Taruranto

The controls operate and feel exactly the same as Dark Souls 2, but there is a new health item in addition to Estus. Called Lifegems, these items regenerate health very slowly and by a fraction of what an Estus will. It's a trade-off, because consuming Lifegems doesn't slow the player down like supping from the Estus flask does, and be warned: enemy's are more likely to attack while your guard is down in Dark Souls 2. They're smarter.

Health Regen?

Arbitrary percentages and sweeping generalizations really help convey your unpopular opinion.

Also that boss sounds like it'll be a great fight. My only concern is how hackers (especially on PC) could make that fight a living hell for people.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Boss that itself holds an entry point for invading players
Oh come on!!!!
Aren't you the guy who smashed a keyboard in half out of frustration? I think you need to quit the competitive aspect of games.
Dark Souls actually did fairly serious damage to his body
Jesus, people still remember?!
Dude, it would shock the crap out of me if my memory is ever deprived of that vivid series of events. Don't get me wrong now, I loved it, but infamy is infamy.

Ourobolus

Banned
This is awesome.

Slightly wary of cheating bastards invading me, but hopefully I'll luck out.

EDIT: Hopefully they make it like Demon's where the summoned character is playing as something other than THEIR character.

Zeth

Sounds awesome. Only thing that even slightly concerned me was the bonfire locations in the floor demo; I hope there's confirmation that they are placed specifically for the demo/in the interest of time.

Also super excited to play this on next gen pc :)

And the Mirror Knight encounter sounds amazing.

Folstern

I'm pumped to play this at release. I can see this boss battle being extremely frustrating once the game is live for a couple months. Say hello to twinked out characters waiting around the summoning point.

Top Bottom