• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some additional Dark Souls 2 details

R1CHO

Candles, candles everywhere.

MisaSurabaya251210-2%20-%20ed_0.img_assist_custom-510x343.jpg

Read the article. That's exactly what it is.

Yeah, this sounds pretty cool. Kind of like how invaders could become the boss of Latria in Demons Souls.

I'm really encouraged that they thought to do this. Hopefully they find other unique ways to include invasions in boss battles.

How satisfying it would feel to have won one of those "I beat the boss at E3" shirts!

Majukun

there's hard and there's this.
i don't wanna to be invaded while i'm dealing with a boss..it's unfair

dark souls was good because it was fun AND it was fair

Jord

Sounds brutal...I wonder if the invader open to attacks from the boss. It's been a while but aren't invaders in Dark Souls immune to NPC's aggro?

Its probably implemented thoughtfully. For example the boss needs to do a summoning ritual that you can somehow interrupt, or something like that. If you're outnumbering the boss by summoning allies you could even argue this makes it more fair.

Honestly I'm excited by them thinking of genuine ways to make the game more terrifying!

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
On the other side of the bonfire a long dark hall awaits. In the southern alcove several candles are lit, and according to Tanimura each of these candles represents a death. Whenever any player online dies at the hands of the boss in this area, a new candle will be lit, and you will see it.

How many candles near O&S, Manus and Kalameet? lol.

popyea

In all likelihood it won't be like typical invasions. It will probably be balanced by forcing the invaders to spawn with specific gear and hitpoints. I think that's a pretty necessary measure considering the player also has to face off against the actual boss at the same time. It wouldn't be fair to allow some overpowered character to come in and throw the balance out of whack.

Caerith

In all likelihood it won't be like typical invasions. It will probably be balanced by forcing the invaders to spawn with specific gear and hitpoints. I think that's a pretty necessary measure considering the player also has to face off against the actual boss at the same time. It wouldn't be fair to allow some overpowered character to come in and throw the balance out of whack.
Could be NPC black phantoms, like what you get at Old Monk when nobody's around to invade. Or that instead of the standard invader formula (invader SL <= host SL) they balance it to like, invader SL <= host SL/2... but even then, player BPs can be downright beastly.

jabuseika

Bosses and black phantoms?

I'll take my masochism with a side of dark souls 2 please.

Reminds me of the Old Monk in Demon's Souls, there were some bad times in that part of the game. Right after you defeat what is probably one of the hardest double boss in the game, you barely make it up the stairs that are sprinkled with tough enemies, up to the next and final boss of the area, and right then you are invaded. But, where's the invader? you ask. Oh cruel Demon's Souls.

Seanspeed

Banned
Hopefully this means they've implemented some measure of balancing invasions a bit better, cuz this could be downright bullshit if it had Dark Souls'-type invasions.

Arjen

Hopefully this means they've implemented some measure of balancing invasions a bit better, cuz this could be downright bullshit if it had Dark Souls'-type invasions.

Wouldn't be so bad if it is a late game boss, but if you got this type of boss in the begining like Taurus, yeah then it would be brutal for new players.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

Just summon 2 helpers and as usual it will become easy again ~

It's a trade-off, because consuming Lifegems doesn't slow the player down like supping from the Estus flask does, and be warned: enemy's are more likely to attack while your guard is down in Dark Souls 2. They're smarter.

This already happens, though.

And no one managed to beat the boss? Pfft.

Caerith

Bosses and black phantoms?

I'll take my masochism with a side of dark souls 2 please.

Reminds me of the Old Monk in Demon's Souls, there were some bad times in that part of the game. Right after you defeat what is probably one of the hardest double boss in the game, you barely make it up the stairs that are sprinkled with tough enemies, up to the next and final boss of the area, and right then you are invaded. But, where's the invader? you ask. Oh cruel Demon's Souls.
Speaking of those stairs, less than half of the people I've invaded there ever made it to the fog gate.

Caerith

Isn't weird? Constantly the person would die before reaching you. It happened so much.
"You are being summoned for a free hat. Please wait here."

It's those damn Chtuhlus ... I hate fighting them, and in that narrow corridor
I only hate the ones on that staircase. All the other jailers in Latria are pretty easy to sprint up to and backstab before they knew you were there.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Dark Souls wasn't fair, >60% of the game was horseshit. It's pretty much known.

From software is gonna be responsible for the next big step in agriculture at this point. Gonna have to farm A TON to beat that.
It might scale the invader with your level :p Better to upgrade your gear as always in Souls.

I love this idea, Old Monk was a real memorable unique gaming moment. This boss sounds awesome, in another write up about it, they didn't say about invaders but I'm sure they made it sound like 4 Kings where there was more than one enemy coming out of the mirror - Can you imagine having 2 or 3 invaders in the boss fight, lol!

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
thats one thing i like abotu the souls series compared to others.

it doesnt do things that make u shout thats bullshit or unfair or put u in a stage of rage lol.

the devs of these games are very good at postioning certain monsters in certain places where it can easily mess you up and pretty much all the time if ur dying its certainly your fault. not like most other games where they just give them bat shit insane health or dmg to make it hard.

i cannot count how many times i died on artorias cos i was just being reckless

Caerith

thats one thing i like abotu the souls series compared to others.

it doesnt do things that make u shout thats bullshit or unfair or put u in a stage of rage lol.

the devs of these games are very good at postioning certain monsters in certain places where it can easily mess you up and pretty much all the time if ur dying its certainly your fault. not like most other games where they just give them bat shit insane health or dmg to make it hard.

i cannot count how many times i died on artorias cos i was just being reckless
Here is a transcript of every single Artorias fight:

"Okay, he's fast and hits hard, but I recognize his patterns so as long as I keep up with him I'll be fine. Wait, is that an opening? I bet I can get a free hit in--" YOU DIED

I'm going to do my first Dark Souls II run at SL1. It's the only way to play.

Squishy

Sounds terrifying, but it could certainly work if the invading player had fixed stats, and was limited to playing with a standard weapon / armour / spell / item set (only for this particular boss, obviously). This would make things somewhat more fair.

Celegus

Dark Souls wasn't fair, >60% of the game was horseshit. It's pretty much known.

Uhhhh... what? Dark Souls was amazing because it was challenging but also fair, where you knew why you died every time. I've never heard anyone claim otherwise.

That boss sounds brutal. I really don't care for the multiplayer in the Souls games (co-op or PvP), so I'll be definitely be doing this one in offline baby mode.

Muddimar

"Dual Swordsman will be the most difficult to start with"... whelp... looks like I know what type of character I'm creating >:)

Sickbean

Here is a transcript of every single Artorias fight:

"Okay, he's fast and hits hard, but I recognize his patterns so as long as I keep up with him I'll be fine. Wait, is that an opening? I bet I can get a free hit in--" YOU DIED

I'm going to do my first Dark Souls II run at SL1. It's the only way to play.

Exactly.

The greatest weapons in Souls games are knowledge of whats round the next corner and a calm head
and a lightening reinforced club

Not sure if I'll do an SL1 first, but I definitely had the most fun on my SL1 runs in both games (more so in Dark because in Demons it can turn into a bit of an archery fest at times).

zma1013

Oh great, that means I'm going to be getting backstabbed by naked men flipping around on the ground like a fish out of water while I'm trying to kill Mr. Mirror Man.

Caerith

Uhhhh... what? Dark Souls was amazing because it was challenging but also fair, where you knew why you died every time. I've never heard anyone claim otherwise.

That boss sounds brutal. I really don't care for the multiplayer in the Souls games (co-op or PvP), so I'll be definitely be doing this one in offline baby mode.
General demographic of causes of death in Dark Souls:
  • 1.2% - Invaders.
  • 2.1% - "What the-- oh."
  • 3.0% - "Oops."
  • 3.7% - "FUUUU--"
  • 45% - Smough
  • 45% - Ornstein

Exactly.

The greatest weapons in Souls games are knowledge of whats round the next corner and a calm head
and a lightening reinforced club

Not sure if I'll do an SL1 first, but I definitely had the most fun on my SL1 runs in both games (more so in Dark because in Demons it can turn into a bit of an archery fest at times).
I have a hard time deciding on builds, where to put stats, what weapons to use, etc, so forcing myself to use whoever starts at SL1 and whatever they can actually equip is a great way to learn my way around.

I definitely agree about knowledge being the greatest weapon one can have, but can't forget the
fire reinforced hand axe for Four Kings.

mxgt

Banned
Sounds awesome in theory but they'll need to fix lagstabbing and various other things for it to actually be fun.

Top Bottom