• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II should allow invasions during Boss Battles

I don't think we have a thread yet to specifically discuss the things we would like to see in the upcoming Dark Souls II, so let's do it here.

A lot of discussion have been made before about how terrible it would be if the next souls game had an “Easy mode”, many people argued that it would allow the game to broaden its base and wouldn't hurt the core experience, while many others argued that even if it was just an optional thing it would still ruin the game because it would change the design philosophy of the game or destroy the sense of accomplishment or whatnot. That ship has already sailed, since DSII will not have an Easy mode, but I was thinking.

This games already do have an Easy mode, it is called summoning phantoms and sometimes they make the game too easy in my opinion , yes while in Human form you risk getting invaded, but my esperience has been so far that they are far more summoning sings than there are darkwraights fucking up shit. And when one does summons help one can usually just sit back and let the two phantoms deal with the boss while you stay in a corner drinking estus.

So how about, if DSII allows the DarkWraight Invasor to invade during Boss Battles, this would increase the tension and make sure that even when summoning help the game does not become too easy, after all, if the player character can do it, why shouldn't the Bosses be able to do it too? They could even have it that you don't have to be in a Boss room to be Summoned, but there could be like an item, like the Cat Covenant ring that allow any Boss to summon you to fight (against an appropriated level opponent)

I believe this would add to the experience, any one else agrees?

Another idea that I would like to see implemented is a Battle arena, and I don't mean just a place where you go and fight other players (Undead Burg + Red Stone kinda became that), but an arena that with every battle goes changing an environmental factor, for example.

• Enter the arena, you are in a cage against one human opponent, win.
  • Get summon to the same arena, cage gets removed, there is a lava pit below, against one human opponent, win
  • Get summoned to the same arena, caged, now you're facing two opponents (who lost their previous match), lose
  • Get summoned to the arena, it is now a 2v2 match, you see a white phantom besides you and 2 red phantoms on the other side, no cage, there are Dragonslayer archers on a high position or balcony, they are shooting against all of you, have fun

So please also share the things you would like to see in Dark Souls II.

kodt

Banned
As long as the boss will attempt to kill the invading phantom as well.

Probably should require a certain item or covenant to be able to pass through the boss fog if you are an invader.

J-Rod

I think that sounds like a mess. I liked in demons that you could be someone's boss battle, though. Had lots of fun doing that.

OMG Aero

Only if bosses can be Gravelorded too.
x5s9TSj.jpg

Eccocid

I have another invasion idea!!

Aside from regular invasion to kill player there should be an option(spell, item whatever) to invade another players level but as an NPC enemy.

For example i invade my friends game and he is currently at Catacombs. I am one of the skeletons. He will only get regular "your are being invaded" message. But that is all. Since there are lots of skeletons over there he will never ever spot me if i blend with other AI enemies!

PLS PLS it sounds fucking assholish let us to do it!

I have an idea, how about they make the online better. I've never even been able to invade anyone cause it fails. Terrible compared to demon's souls. Fix server issues first, then I'm down for whatever.

I'd really like to have some kind of hardcore invasion option you can check when making a game or maybe as a covenant. Invasions become a permadeath situation as long as the invader/invaded gets the last hit, they're also rewarded with all of the losers items.

I'd really like to have some kind of hardcore invasion option you can check when making a game or maybe as a covenant. Invasions become a permadeath situation as long as the invader/invaded gets the last hit, they're also rewarded with all of the losers items.
That sounds dumb.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
That sounds awful to me. Honestly, I get so tired of invasions that I play offline. It is weird, but I take it personally, and then I get pissed off. I don't really get why people want to ruin someone's progress.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
I'm pretty sure it will, since bosses aren't confined to a boss room now (I think?).

First thing I thought of was being able to control the boss, similar to the boss Akrid in Lost Planet: Colonies Edition.

But yeah, as long as the boss can attack the invader the same, that would be cool.

There has to be a cooldown on the invasions though, so your not continuously harassed in the boss room. That would be annoying once the novelty wears off.

K.Sabot

Bring back the Old Monk boss fight in Demon's Souls, that was probably the most innovative boss of this generation.

Ferr986

Problem is that if you're solo and get invaded, you are going to lose no matter what (it would be REALLY hard to win against a boss + invasor).
Thats unfair compared to regular invasions, IMO.

It could work if you only can get invaded if you have a summon helping you.

Aside from regular invasion to kill player there should be an option(spell, item whatever) to invade another players level but as an NPC enemy.

For example i invade my friends game and he is currently at Catacombs. I am one of the skeletons. He will only get regular "your are being invaded" message. But that is all. Since there are lots of skeletons over there he will never ever spot me if i blend with other AI enemies!

This is what Resident Evil 6 does. It's awesome.

Invasions should just be 24/7 even at the bonfire. Make this this TRUE dark souls it needs to be.

I remember when I thought you could get invaded anywhere, it was great. Now I know it's just in certain areas and areas of areas + not if you've beaten the boss. It's boring this way. Spice it up with some non-message invasions too.

Nibel

The boss fights gave me enough heart attacks already - I'd probably jump out the window if someone invaded me during a boss fight

Hell no.

I couldn't even imagine fighting a battle like Orstein & Smough (even with a friendly phantom) with some dipshit invader flipping around spamming me with explosion spells. That would make 'challenging' quickly turn the corner to 'obnoxious' IMO.

It's good the way it is.
Some of you TOTAL HARDCORE Souls players are insane. :p

Problem is that if you're solo and get invaded, you are going to lose no matter what (it would be REALLY hard to win against a boss + invasor).
Thats unfair compared to regular invasions, IMO.

It could work if you only can get invaded if you have a summon helping you.

That would be a great balance, though I'd go further and say it doesn't apply to NPC summons.

Edit: Some bosses should probably prevent that though. I don't want fights to be balanced around that system, but then those fights being invasion spammed for that reason. Mid-game bosses should be where it's restricted to, so that it allows those starting off to get the gist of the battles (maybe one with an NPC invader type like Knight Kirk), and then the end game bosses can be made to bring the most out of the game.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
Terrible idea.

Imagine, you've almost beaten Smough and Ornstein, no Estus left, the moment of glory is near, then suddenly... Dark spirit xXdarkangel666Xx has invaded!

YOU DIED

Yeah, this would piss me off enormously. Open world, fine, I'll get invaded and fight them off. Boss battles are between me and the boss.

this already exists in resident evil 6

Dresden

Invasions should just be 24/7 even at the bonfire. Make this this TRUE dark souls it needs to be.

You can be invaded at the bonfire, if the invasion areas overlap where you rest.

Bring back the Old Monk boss fight in Demon's Souls, that was probably the most innovative boss of this generation.

And this.

And we need more badass NPC black phantoms in DS2, the ones in Dark were such pushovers.

Sullichin

I would rather this, and/or the return of an old monk style boss fight, than what the OP proposed. Invasions during boss battles.. I don't really see that working.

Maybe for the levels where the boss roams the area, as was discussed in one of the interviews.

Ya, I always put out my help sign on that level just so I could kill people as him. I was a dick.

I was so confused when this happened at first.

Didn't really understand until I read about it online later.

It's needless to say but that was a really creative/unexpected twist on your typical boss fight encounter.

Dizzy-4U

Yeah, that was really fun in Perfect Dark. It could work great in DS.

I would rather this, and/or the return of an old monk style boss fight, than what the OP proposed. Invasions during boss battles.. I don't really see that working.

Maybe for the levels where the boss roams the area, as was discussed in one of the interviews.

This. Plus maybe having black phantom bosses during gravelording.

Riposte

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't mind if they at least dropped some (NPC) phantoms into boss battles when you go in with a team. Boss battles in Dark Souls are only usually truly tough when you are facing multiple opponents anyway. Going with a partner or two makes it such a joke.

EDIT: Threads like these makes me want to make a thread asking "Are you surprised how bad/afraid people are with videogames?" because I really can't relate with people who couldn't imagine or stand a harder Dark Souls. I do realize the thread would just be looked at as trollish gloating, but then I think that's pretty hilarious and makes me want to make the thread even more.

I don't know about that, but I wouldn't mind if they at least dropped some (NPC) phantoms into boss battles when you go in with a team. Boss battles in Dark Souls are only usually truly tough when you are facing multiple opponents anyway. Going with a partner or two makes it such a joke.

The only boss battle I ever did with a partner was Kalameet and it was because cutting its tail was annoying as shit alone.

Keep those douchebag invaders out of my boss battles. That would turn something fun and challenging (at least until you learn the game inside and out and can wreck everyone) into a randomized screwjob.

LordCanti

As long as they make it server based so that there is never any issue finding people to summon at boss gates, I really don't care what else they do.

My pie in the sky hope would be some more...mmm...I don't know how to put it. More options for invading? For instance, if I could invade as a monster (with the same attacks and characteristics of that monster) that would be awesome. They could turn the monster a color to denote that it's a player, and they could fence the monster into that specific area.

I want wacky encounters, basically.

Edit: Multiple people with the same idea apparently. Make it so From.

Earlier I was standing on the bridge leading to Sif and hitting people with a 600 damage Great Combustion. This isn't NG, so it was absolutely devastating to anyone that came along. I could hear the bitter tears through the internet as I one hit people that couldn't dodge due to it being a narrow bridge

Top Bottom