• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II should allow invasions during Boss Battles

dude fuck that I think I'd cry if I fought some boss alongside some of the phantoms I was encountering

i had the most intense phantom encounter once. i think it was my first in Dark Souls. I was in that area with a wide area of forest you can climb up a ladder to go to by the waterfall. And as I got up to the area, I got the phantom is invading message. Dude was clearly stronger than me, so I started out running. But then I found out the hard way you couldn't leave a certain net around the area. And I was in an unfamiliar area, because at the time I hadn't been there yet and all the enemies were much higher level than me. So on top of being chased by the phantom, I was dodging high level enemy swipes too. So we ended out just slugging it out slowly, hit by hit, over the course of a half hour. I barely beat him with like the slightest sliver of health only to almost immediately be killed by some creature in the forest the second after I did lol
That sounds freaking Awesome, no joke.

I'll allow it if the boss attacks that person and if that person dies he loses like 5 soul levels.
There is no punishing for invating yes, and that has to change, losing soul levels could be one way, but what about if the invading player also loses an item they have at random (including armor and weapon).

I'd also like to see more benefits for playing online/as human, rather than just summoning guys to rush the boss with. Covenant system needs to expanded, invading people as a Blade of the Darkmoon to punish them for invading people as a DarkWraith was awesome and there was a real rivalry system there. But most of the covenants didn't do much and the nature of the game made it harder to get involved with your faction.
Let Darkmooner invade worlds that are being invaded by DarkWraighs, it could make thing so much more interesting

I can't help but laugh when someones shows signs of letting their inferiority get to them. People clearly wouldn't just want a hard game, no, that doesn't make sense, hard is bad, they are trying to bully me!

Inferiority? You're the same kind of "make games harder"/use difficult games to overcompensate kind of dumbfuck I was talking about.

I love Dark Souls, I never clamored for an Easy Mode, nor do I want there to be one in the first place.

Also, I wonder who was it that started Revengeance on very hard and got his ass spanked so badly he turned it back down to hard? Oh right, it was your dumb ass. If you're gonna pretend to be some kind of hardcorez gam3r, at least back it up. Idiot.

Amir0x

Banned
That sounds freaking Awesome, no joke.

Oh it was awesome. At the end of that confrontation I was literally shaking from the tension and adrenaline.

God I can't wait for Dark Souls II... just thinking about the possibility for new experiences like that puts me on my heels

njean777

When they fix the lag during invades, maybe we can talk about boss battle invades. Until then lets just hope they fix the lag. Twice today I lost invade battles due to lag and them somehow getting backstabs on me when they on my monitor were in front of me.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
When they fix the lag during invades, maybe we can talk about boss battle invades. Until then lets just hope they fix the lag. Twice today I lost invade battles due to lag and them somehow getting backstabs on me when they on my monitor were in front of me.

I want to know what their server based mode is going to be. That should help, but it probably won't change how invasions work in the regular game.

Riposte

Inferiority? You're the same kind of "make games harder"/use difficult games to overcompensate kind of dumbfuck I was talking about.

I love Dark Souls, I never clamored for an Easy Mode, nor do I want there to be one in the first place.

Your resentment does all the talking. You are seeing everything as an attack on you when it is just people who want to get the maximum amount of pleasure for themselves. Completely reactive.

Also, I wonder who was it that started Revengeance on very hard and got his ass spanked so badly he turned it back down to hard? Oh right, it was your dumb ass. If you're gonna pretend to be some kind of hardcorez gam3r, at least back it up. Idiot.

Yeah, I liked Hard mode without unlocks more than Revengeance without unlocks. This is mainly because the latter throws the most annoying enemy on that difficulty (arguably harder than any of the bosses) in the first encounter after the prologue before you unlock air parry and/or dodge (or the side weapons which turn that enemy and many others into far easier (perhaps too easy) encounters). EDIT: Oh, I'm forgetting the biggest problem - also because you do utterly shit damage against that same enemy that has so much health (so upgrades, in addition to unlocks). After playing the game inside and out I know I can now clear that part on a naked run (because I have), but it wasn't worth wasting the experience of the first time due to the game balancing it out that way (they made it a "NG+" mode basically, which is a shame because the prologue was perfect and the prologue and first chapter were a little disappointing on Hard). Hardly relevant though if understand my actual point.

Here is an idea that hasn't have anything to do with Online gaming.

Not sure why in the Lore the player character was immortal and everyother NPC and Boss would die after dieing just once, from a Lore perspective I never understood why this was (I understand why from a game mechanich perspective).

But how about that every NPC if you kill them, don't die permanently, but like the player character they get revived by the bonfire (and are still hostile) this could prevent newcomers from killing a mayor NPC like a blashmith and would make a Pardoner role more important

By the same token, the Boss Characters should also come back if you use a bonfire (don't start typing yet, hear me out) however they become hollow this time around (if they weren't already) and every boss arena should be designed in such a way that after the Boss is beaten the first time, he can be avoided the next times.

EDIT: Bosses once gone hollow shouldn't give the same amount of souls if defeated again, like how after the patch the Bell Gargoles give you 11,000 souls. but later each one only gives you 1,500

genjiZERO

Here is an idea that hasn't have anything to do with Online gaming.

Not sure why in the Lore the player character was immortal and everyother NPC and Boss would die after dieing just once, from a Lore perspective I never understood why this was (I understand why from a game mechanich perspective).

But how about that every NPC if you kill them, don't die permanently, but like the player character they get revived by the bonfire (and are still hostile) this could prevent newcomers from killing a mayor NPC like a blashmith and would make a Pardoner role more important

By the same token, the Boss Characters should also come back if you use a bonfire (don't start typing yet, hear me out) however they become hollow this time around (if they weren't already) and every boss arena should be designed in such a way that after the Boss is beaten the first time, he can be avoided the next times.

EDIT: Bosses once gone hollow shouldn't give the same amount of souls if defeated again, like how after the patch the Bell Gargoles give you 11,000 souls. but later each one only gives you 1,500

Those are some good ideas. But I'm hesitant with the pardoning. I thought it was a little too tedious in the last game. Maybe instead of paying with souls you have to do a mission for them or something. Say, for example, a black phantom has been harassing that person and if you go and take it out they will forgive you. That way it highlights the fun parts (duels and fighting) and reduces the boring bits (farming souls).

Those are some good ideas. But I'm hesitant with the pardoning. I thought it was a little too tedious in the last game. Maybe instead of paying with souls you have to do a mission for them or something. Say, for example, a black phantom has been harassing that person and if you go and take it out they will forgive you. That way it highlights the fun parts (duels and fighting) and reduces the boring bits (farming souls).
That's a very good idea, but it could not be a "real" invasion, but a pre-set one for the sake of people who are never online (Not sure what percentage of Soul's player play offline only,but aren't like 30 to 50% of all consoles never been online?)

genjiZERO

That's a very good idea, but it could not be a "real" invasion, but a pre-set one for the sake of people who are never online (Not sure what percentage of Soul's player play offline only,but aren't like 30 to 50% of all consoles never been online?)

Yeah totally. I don't know, but I personally prefer offline. The first go through I'm entirely offline and then the second time I do the online. I find the game is more absorbing if it's offline. So, yeah, pre-scripted invasions. Actually, I've always thought that was an underused concept in the two games. Maybe this would be a good place to implement it.

I can't help but laugh when someones shows signs of letting their inferiority get to them. People clearly wouldn't just want a hard game, no, that doesn't make sense, hard is bad, they are trying to bully me!
maybe i'm taking this out of context, but you do realize the idea in op (w/o balance modifications) makes the game easier for invaders right? this is like a case of rich get richer, poor get poorer. ds has enough of twinkers and griefers, it doesn't need boss campers too.

while having a huge ass boss as a teammate sounds cool, let's not pretend that it would be balanced (again as the op suggests it).

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
The controller should also give you a shock every time you lose.

best idea for a dark souls game:

level cap that gets raised only when you defeat bosses to stop people from grinding to overcome challenges (and make it so you need to be a certain level to do certain grades of upgrades to equipment to stop farming at the same time!).

the idea the guy posted up above was good too, get rid of rare drops (or have all rare drops be on bodies as well).

You're not. Several times I didn't have time for their bullshit, and they would always invade at inopportune times. Yank, fuck off
Play hollow or offline? You are never actually forced to interact with other players

maybe i'm taking this out of context, but you do realize the idea in op (w/o balance modifications) makes the game easier for invaders right? this is like a case of rich get richer, poor get poorer. ds has enough of twinkers and griefers, it doesn't need boss campers too.

while having a huge ass boss as a teammate sounds cool, let's not pretend that it would be balanced (again as the op suggests it).
balancing is needed yes, we have given some ideas about how to balance it in this thread

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
If it were up to me you could be invaded during character creation. I wish you couldn't avoid invasion by running around like a chicken in undead form.

QuickSilverD said:
Can't say I have played much Smash Bros, but do you find the ideas themselves bad or are you put off by the fact that another game has something similar?

Yeah I would say that the similarities are an issue. I would like to think that this kind of pvp should kind of be story driven(minimally mind you) like it is in DS1 with darkwraiths and graverobbers etc... if you can find a good story driven reason why you would fight in an arena type pvp, then that would be acceptable.

Then again, much like MMOs that have pvp areas I mean to balance it would have to match players by level, which imo for DS would not work out to well because you would have severe imabalances especially at lower levels. I use examples like bottomless box cheats or some other exploit. Or even skills and equipment that are especially powerful in the lower levels you may see a lot of a certain type of character. Maybe the answer to that would be to have a minimum soullevel like 60-75 or something. Who knows.

Your other ideas to me are needed to make the game that much better, I would love to invade someone during a boss battle that try run away during an invasion.

This isn't really what he meant, but personally I want rare drops to go away. They add nothing to the game. If I want a bonewheel shield or dragon torso stone, I should be able to get one if I know where to look and have the ability to get there instead of having to kill hundreds of wheel skeletons or drakes and pray for a .001% drop chance. That's my least favorite thing about these games.
I haven't played Dark Souls yet, but this post is giving me bladestone farming flaskbacks ;____;

dosh

Invasions during boss fights could be cool, but I always loved the race to the boss door when I was invaded and not in the mood to fight the guy. The action suddenly gets super hectic, and if/when you finally get there, you're not ready at all to tackle the boss himself. This is one of the things that made invasions awesome.

Something I'd like to see is the ability to invade and randomly "possess" any mob in the area. You don't chose what you get to be, so it might be a tiny soldier or a huge knight. With no message warning that an invasion is taking place, there could be some fun action when you realize the enemy in front of you is fighting way too efficiently.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
best idea for a dark souls game:

level cap that gets raised only when you defeat bosses to stop people from grinding to overcome challenges (and make it so you need to be a certain level to do certain grades of upgrades to equipment to stop farming at the same time!).

the idea the guy posted up above was good too, get rid of rare drops (or have all rare drops be on bodies as well).

Not into this idea. The game lets you play the way you like and even with grinding levels people get their asses kicked. Let that be the way it is.

tbh I remember in Demons Souls there was a skill that allowed you to steal someones soul level (fact check me GAF). They need to bring back griefing abilities. That makes the game that much more treacherous.

maomaoIYP

tbh I remember in Demons Souls there was a skill that allowed you to steal someones soul level (fact check me GAF). They need to bring back griefing abilities. That makes the game that much more treacherous.

Yes it was a spell called soul steal. Along with that players were effectively gambling their levels when invading, getting killed robbed you of your current level and a reduction of your highest stat.

I don't like this suggestion though.

What I'd like to see is friendly fire ON for coop-ing players, everyone who's invading into a 3-man gank squad can imagine how much value this would be.

Alastor

Something I'd like to see is the ability to invade and randomly "possess" any mob in the area. You don't chose what you get to be, so it might be a tiny soldier or a huge knight. With no message warning that an invasion is taking place, there could be some fun action when you realize the enemy in front of you is fighting way too efficiently.

This is a mode in RE6, but it's clunky as hell due to tank controls and limited moveset of most of the enemies. If you actually manage to kill somebody, it's by luck or because he's busy fighting something else.

But in DS, it would be... perfect.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Here's an idea, why not just have a dueling arena in Dark Souls II, where players' names are entered and drawn from a lot of similarly leveled players, where spectators are free to view the stats, loadouts and items a particular players possesses and are free to wager souls on who will win. The minimum wager increases based upon the dueling players soul level and the loser of the wager souls are divided evenly between the winners of the wager. The idea extends to the actual duelers as well where they have an initial buy in to duel and can wager not only souls but items as well.

That's my idea because normally I don't mind invasions but sometimes the game calls for you to reverse hollowing to have certain npc phantoms appear and it sucks to be invaded at inopportune times and to be attacked by npcs and invading players and npcs don't attack the invader.

bj00rn_

Banned
I must be alone on this, but invasions were so god damn annoying when all I want to do is progress in the game

You are definitely not alone. I'm on NG+ now, and 90% of the time I just played it offline. Another nice bonus in doing that is that you don't have those stupid useless notes on the ground.

web01

Invading during boss battles is a stupid, stupid idea, In Demons Souls there is a network error glitch that can allow it to happen during certain bosses like phalanx, I was the invader in the situation and the opponent had no chance.

The only negative about Dark Souls becoming popular is people making stupid suggestions and ideas to "improve" the game.
Thankfully I have enough faith that From Software will ignore these clowns.

Yeah I would say that the similarities are an issue. I would like to think that this kind of pvp should kind of be story driven(minimally mind you) like it is in DS1 with darkwraiths and graverobbers etc... if you can find a good story driven reason why you would fight in an arena type pvp, then that would be acceptable.
Probably wouldn't be too difficul to justify it in the Lore. I mean a battle arena is a battle arena, Could be like a Gladiator type stuff, after all in the Souls games you are always one of many people who are traveling the world (in Demon's you were one of many adventures that went to Boletaria and in Dark you are one of several undead that are in Lordran, not even the one one that escaped the Asylum)

You should be able to delevel other players if they attack you during boss fights.
More risks for invaders is always a good thing

Mihos

Gold Member
The 'monk' battle in Demon Souls was brilliant. Having another real player, or being that player as the 'boss' was just epic. I never mind losing on that one.

The idea of players becoming mobs is amazing. Imagine exploring and then a black knight walks around a corner followed by a giant.

Either way, they need to make the enemies wander around. DS1 is boring when you know exactly where they will be.

QuickSilverD said:
Probably wouldn't be too difficul to justify it in the Lore. I mean a battle arena is a battle arena, Could be like a Gladiator type stuff, after all in the Souls games you are always one of many people who are traveling the world (in Demon's you were one of many adventures that went to Boletaria and in Dark you are one of several undead that are in Lordran, not even the one one that escaped the Asylum)

In that case I can see it happening. The idea of traps and such I am also not so sure about, but if you can do it in a way that is unique to dark souls I suppose that could work without being too 'smash brothers' or even 'powerstoneish' with all the traps. However I wouldn't want this to be a big part of the game as I would be afraid that it would detract from the regular DS experience.

Jwong said:
You should be able to delevel other players if they attack you during boss fights.

Brilliant.

Risible

I love Demon's and Dark Souls. I'm replaying Dark Souls at the moment, actually.

FUCK the PVP in the Souls games. It's nothing but a bunch of glitchy bullshit. Every single time I've been invaded it's been by someone who is decked out solely to abuse some aspect of the game. Being geared for PvE and then having to deal with someone coming into my game decked out for PvP and abusing the glitchy network code? No fucking thanks.

I am never in human form because of that. :(

Mondriaan

You know what could sweeten the deal? Microtransactions.

People should be able to accept microtransaction payments in exchange for giving permission for griefers to invade their world. Molyneux is definitely onto something.

elohel

Only if bosses can be Gravelorded too.
x5s9TSj.jpg

wait can they be?

RedSwirl

As long as the boss will attempt to kill the invading phantom as well.

Probably should require a certain item or covenant to be able to pass through the boss fog if you are an invader.

This would be interesting. Invader shows up, kills the boss, then kills you.

I love Demon's and Dark Souls. I'm replaying Dark Souls at the moment, actually.

FUCK the PVP in the Souls games. It's nothing but a bunch of glitchy bullshit. Every single time I've been invaded it's been by someone who is decked out solely to abuse some aspect of the game. Being geared for PvE and then having to deal with someone coming into my game decked out for PvP and abusing the glitchy network code? No fucking thanks.

Scraping Spear. Eugh.

In that case I can see it happening. The idea of traps and such I am also not so sure about, but if you can do it in a way that is unique to dark souls I suppose that could work without being too 'smash brothers' or even 'powerstoneish' with all the traps. However I wouldn't want this to be a big part of the game as I would be afraid that it would detract from the regular DS experience.Brilliant.

If they were to implement it how I want it to, then such Arena would only be accessible after defeating the final Boss of the game, in a NG+

Don't get me wrong, But you need to adapt and learn how to play PvP, yes it feels almost like 2 different games but it can be done, and again don't get me wrong, I'm no elitist, I almost always die when I get invaded, but the point is trying to improve yourself, learn their tactics and avoid then (like for backstab fishers try holding the run button and keep moving around)

what a ridiculous idea, some of the dark soul elitist border on masochistic for no reason at all.
If you are talking about the Invasion in Boss arenas, you could always avoid them by being hollow or alone (not summoning phantoms)

This would be interesting. Invader shows up, kills the boss, then kills you.
then next time you show up the Boss is alive again :D

QuickSilverD said:
If they were to implement it how I want it to, then such Arena would only be accessible after defeating the final Boss of the game, in a NG+

Well that is a good idea. Now that I think about it, Arena's with traps can be something like Sen's fortress pendulums. That would be interesting and finding a way to implement cages as well like you stated would be cool.

Top Bottom