• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls II should allow invasions during Boss Battles

RSLAEV

Yeah I think the boss battles are tense enough. I don't need some leet pro gamer to jump in and fuck my shit up so he can get his/her yuks.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Some of the things you people want would just end up with me going offline before going to attempt a boss.

And the ones wanting to invade even hollowed people would just have me going offline altogether until I figured out an area. I became that way for a reason, leave me alone! :p

I'd be ok with it so long as they went all the way and implemented severe penalties for dying while gravelording in a boss fight. Like character permadeath and a month-long lockout from the entire game. There's no way that From can QA the game to prevent some sort of bizarre, unnatural player behavior from unbalancing the battle so they may as well go the other direction and make it so invaders have to really want to do it.

Sounds ok, as long as the invader gets friendly-fired from the bosses too. If Smough can crush my head while I'm fighting him, the same should apply to the invader too. It would make for some funny situations as well.

EDIT: Threads like these makes me want to make a thread asking "Are you surprised how bad/afraid people are with videogames?" because I really can't relate with people who couldn't imagine or stand a harder Dark Souls. I do realize the thread would just be looked at as trollish gloating, but then I think that's pretty hilarious and makes me want to make the thread even more.

No one here is against a harder Dark/Demon Souls. What they are against is having their experience ruined in a fashion that (at least in my consideration) is apart from the core gameplay.

Invasions is a great concept that is marred by Dark Souls' system being easily taken advantage of by the wrong sort of players.

Edit: There needs to be more risk when invading. Right now it's all reward and neglible risk for the those focusing on invasion runs, which is a large part of the problem.

This would suck.

Boss battles are about skill, not whether you get jumped by someone hiding behind a boss and waiting like a vulture. And let's not kid ourselves, that's exactly what would happen.

The only way this would be kind of feasible is if it was back to Demon's Souls style where mobs attacked and killed ANY player character indiscriminately, Darkwraith, Sunbro or host.

it would become the equivalent to camping in fps, but worse.

maybe if they design a specific boss around it, sure. but for any boss, it would be just an unbalanced mess (if they're anything like ds1 bosses). even in a 3vs2, bosses just have way too many aoe attacks they could hide behind.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
With the way invading works, you would have people waiting by a boss for cheap kills. That would be awful.

Being able to only if the person has a summon would be more interesting, but not sure how much mileage that would really get.

LordCanti

A boss being able to summon a helper phantom only if you had a summoned phantom of your own would be pretty cool. It could be a 50/50 chance or something, so there'd still be the chance of being able to take on the boss without a black phantom interrupting.

Sounds like a broken mess, no offense OP (it's a fun discussion to have anyway).

Improvements, specifically to online...well, I wouldn't mind seeing different "tiers" of PVP covenants, with rewards that scale with punishment. Imagine a very basic Darkwraith-esque covenant that features zero risk if you lose an invasion, with a relatively small reward (like souls) if you win. Alternately, imagine a covenant that offers great rewards if you win (like top-tier enhancement materials or gear), but if you lose the battle you lose whatever souls/humanity you're packing permanently.

V_Arnold

Let us allow that. Allow invasions anywhere, anytime. WoW gankers need to go somewhere, I guess...

And I shall continue playing Dark Souls games with my ethernet cable being gently removed from my 360.

Im all for it. Just remove the ability for invaders to use healing items. Sucks when you beat them and they just run away and spam humanity!

Mr.Ock

Sounds like a broken mess, no offense OP (it's a fun discussion to have anyway).

Improvements, specifically to online...well, I wouldn't mind seeing different "tiers" of PVP covenants, with rewards that scale with punishment. Imagine a very basic Darkwraith-esque covenant that features zero risk if you lose an invasion, with a relatively small reward (like souls) if you win. Alternately, imagine a covenant that offers great rewards if you win (like top-tier enhancement materials or gear), but if you lose the battle you lose whatever souls/humanity you're packing permanently.

That sounds great! It would be a beefed up risk/reward system, very good idea!

dreamfall

I can't seem to summon anyone Online on PC :/ Is this a common issue? I would've loved to invade too, but it just won't work!

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DSII should allow invasion during hollow form with some handicap for balance issues.

This is a bit better idea but I'm not a fan of invasion at all (not a big PVP player) I feel like if I'm human, I'm asking for it, being hollow offers some advantage.

Still, if they come to gank, I go to yank.

BibiMaghoo

The most abusive message I have ever received in my gaming life came from invading someone who was trying to kill a dragon.

So no, I do not think this is a good idea.

Superflat

I could get behind this idea if it was only for players in new game plus and beyond (much like how gravelord invasions work), and only if you also have a summon. I love playing Dark Souls co-op with buds but it's easy to wipe out everything on the first try after beating the game once. Invading in boss battles shouldn't happen in solo play, hollow or not.

The bosses also have to be extremely well-balanced and constantly tweaked if bosses could summon, making sure there aren't any crazy exploits.

As long as the boss will attempt to kill the invading phantom as well.

Probably should require a certain item or covenant to be able to pass through the boss fog if you are an invader.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

I can't seem to summon anyone Online on PC :/ Is this a common issue? I would've loved to invade too, but it just won't work!

Yep. Dark Souls' P2P system is garbage.

Another thought on the subject...as others have said, I think the idea proposed in the OP could work, but only for a specific boss designed around the concept, like the Old Monk. I imagine a sort of minion master-type boss that summons a team of invaders. If you're offline it would summon a NPC party like lautrec's group when you invade his world.

Ushae

Banned

This, it's rage inducingly frustrating as it is. It could work if the boss can fuck the phantoms shit up too, but honestly I can't see the point in this at all.

Imagine taking on Smough & Ornstein, getting them to 10% then a phantom enters and ganks you from behind... Dark Souls is popular for being difficult but within reason and fairness. It's never been unreasonably difficult, there is always a logical solution to every encounter.

Boogybro

I have another invasion idea!!

Aside from regular invasion to kill player there should be an option(spell, item whatever) to invade another players level but as an NPC enemy.

For example i invade my friends game and he is currently at Catacombs. I am one of the skeletons. He will only get regular "your are being invaded" message. But that is all. Since there are lots of skeletons over there he will never ever spot me if i blend with other AI enemies!

PLS PLS it sounds fucking assholish let us to do it!

VR66ZwJ.gif

Aside from regular invasion to kill player there should be an option(spell, item whatever) to invade another players level but as an NPC enemy.

For example i invade my friends game and he is currently at Catacombs. I am one of the skeletons. He will only get regular "your are being invaded" message. But that is all. Since there are lots of skeletons over there he will never ever spot me if i blend with other AI enemies!

You'd be stuck with a skeleton's rather limited moveset, though...

LOL, invasion during boss fights with permadeath and/or loss of all items.

Yeah, no.

I'm all for it being harder than Dark Souls, but I don't want it to be MMOish. I lost enough items to assholes in the worst situations possible in Lineage II thank you very much.

Assholish NPCs/situations/boss fights sure, human assholism (?) no please.

BeesEight

This sounds like it would really promote one type of play. When I played Dark Souls, and being wholly unfamiliar with the game format, I'd created a character that was great for taking out bosses but complete ass against invasions.

I'd rather not have to reroll and follow a specific build to just play the game proper.

Permadeath is the silliest suggestion I've seen. Why not go the full mile and say if you die the game wipes your hard drive? I'd rather the difficulty arise from monster/level/boss design.

Like many of you have said, invading in Boss Battle should only work if the one being invaded already has a phantom with them, otherwise it wouldn't really be a challenge, but a massacre. Another thing they could do is only allow invasion after a Boss fight has started or after the boss is at 50% health or something (This way we prevent camping in the Boss Room and then attacking from behind the door by surprise or something)

This sounds like it would really promote one type of play. When I played Dark Souls, and being wholly unfamiliar with the game format, I'd created a character that was great for taking out bosses but complete ass against invasions.

I'd rather not have to reroll and follow a specific build to just play the game proper. .
This was definitely a problem and I hope that they find a way to fix it, probably will have to change the way upgrading equipment works so low lever players cannot become so powerful

The most abusive message I have ever received in my gaming life came from invading someone who was trying to kill a dragon.

So no, I do not think this is a good idea.
I once invaded someone in the Bridge where the Red Dragon is, my phantom was summoned right in the middle of the flames from the Dragon and I was insta-killed

Yep. Dark Souls' P2P system is garbage.

Another thought on the subject...as others have said, I think the idea proposed in the OP could work, but only for a specific boss designed around the concept, like the Old Monk. I imagine a sort of minion master-type boss that summons a team of invaders. If you're offline it would summon a NPC party like lautrec's group when you invade his world.
yeah, maybe this could only work well with some Bosses and not others.

By the way, what does everyone think of my other idea, of a Battle Arena?

Another idea that I would like to see implemented is a Battle arena, and I don't mean just a place where you go and fight other players (Undead Burg + Red Stone kinda became that), but an arena that with every battle goes changing an environmental factor, for example.

• Enter the arena, you are in a cage against one human opponent, win.
  • Get summon to the same arena, cage gets removed, there is a lava pit below, against one human opponent, win
  • Get summoned to the same arena, caged, now you're facing two opponents (who lost their previous match), lose
  • Get summoned to the arena, it is now a 2v2 match, you see a white phantom besides you and 2 red phantoms on the other side, no cage, there are Dragonslayer archers on a high position or balcony, they are shooting against all of you, have fun

Dresden

The problem, really, is that invaders are usually tougher than the boss itself. So a specific boss designed around that would be nice, but extending it to every encounter would ruin the game.

I think permadeath would go against the spirit of the Souls franchise even more than an easy mode. Experimentation and determination would be out the window.

Well yeah I always hated it in both games where you invade and they somehow make it to the boss. I say eliminate that. Go in.

QuickSilverD said:
Enter the arena, you are in a cage against one human opponent, win.
Get summon to the same arena, cage gets removed, there is a lava pit below, against one human opponent, win
Get summoned to the same arena, caged, now you're facing two opponents (who lost their previous match), lose
Get summoned to the arena, it is now a 2v2 match, you see a white phantom besides you and 2 red phantoms on the other side, no cage, there are Dragonslayer archers on a high position or balcony, they are shooting against all of you, have fun

Your pvp ideas however sound a lot like smash bros tbh and I wouldn't welcome that kind of addition.

Since no one has mentioned it so far, how about a Boss Rush Mode , not one you select from the Main Menu, but how about it we have a locked room near the starting Bonfire that to open requires an item dropped by the last Boss, once you enter you cannot leave until you clear every Boss or you die. If we combine this with the Battle Arena idea they could make so that the Battle Arena can only be reached after completing a Boss Run (and then opening a shortcut to it)

genjiZERO

That sounds pretty awesome actually. You'd have to gimp the invader though. Maybe he just has the life and abilities of the skeleton.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I would rather they focus on patching up the holes in the game design like farming rather than implement bad fanfic ideas

Beckx

If my experience in Dark Souls is anything to go by, 50% of the time I'm going to summon Tweedledee and Tweedledum to help me, while the black phantom will be a fully optimized mass murderer.

So two things.

One, based on the gameplay video there may not be Hollow form in DSII, so people wanting invasion/summons at all times may be getting their wish.

Two, they already said DSII is server based like Demon's, so no more P2P.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Bring back the Old Monk boss fight in Demon's Souls, that was probably the most innovative boss of this generation.

Ah yes, I remember going into that boss area for the first time. Needless to say it involved a scraping spear and I wasn't the one using it.

The game should also shove a baseball bat up your ass everytime you die, and your console should spontaneously combust after dying a set number of times.

You know, so the game becomes more hardcore and stuff, and I can brag about it on GAF and belittle others.

Risette

A Good Citizen
The game should also shove a baseball bat up your ass everytime you die, and your console should spontaneously combust after dying a set number of times.

You know, so the game becomes more hardcore and stuff, and I can brag about it on GAF and belittle others.
That's dangerous, what if the game caused a rectal prolapse?

Riposte

I would rather they focus on patching up the holes in the game design like farming rather than implement bad fanfic ideas

As nice as that sounds, it is pretty much also fanfiction given they've show no indication that they see farming and grinding as a bad thing. Dark Souls isn't ever going to be that game I'm afraid.

I can't help but laugh when someones shows signs of letting their inferiority get to them. People clearly wouldn't just want a hard game, no, that doesn't make sense, hard is bad, they are trying to bully me!

Amir0x

Banned
dude fuck that I think I'd cry if I fought some boss alongside some of the phantoms I was encountering

i had the most intense phantom encounter once. i think it was my first in Dark Souls. I was in that area with a wide area of forest you can climb up a ladder to go to by the waterfall. And as I got up to the area, I got the phantom is invading message. Dude was clearly stronger than me, so I started out running. But then I found out the hard way you couldn't leave a certain net around the area. And I was in an unfamiliar area, because at the time I hadn't been there yet and all the enemies were much higher level than me. So on top of being chased by the phantom, I was dodging high level enemy swipes too. So we ended out just slugging it out slowly, hit by hit, over the course of a half hour. I barely beat him with like the slightest sliver of health only to almost immediately be killed by some creature in the forest the second after I did lol

Boss rush mode is a major addition I'd like to see.

I'd also like to see more benefits for playing online/as human, rather than just summoning guys to rush the boss with. Covenant system needs to expanded, invading people as a Blade of the Darkmoon to punish them for invading people as a DarkWraith was awesome and there was a real rivalry system there. But most of the covenants didn't do much and the nature of the game made it harder to get involved with your faction.

What was wrong with the farming? I like the idea that there were farming areas in the game.

It means that the game is technically never hard because you can potentially overcome any situation by grinding for souls.

This isn't really what he meant, but personally I want rare drops to go away. They add nothing to the game. If I want a bonewheel shield or dragon torso stone, I should be able to get one if I know where to look and have the ability to get there instead of having to kill hundreds of wheel skeletons or drakes and pray for a .001% drop chance. That's my least favorite thing about these games.

Top Bottom