• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

some guy leaked FFXV's story six months ago | up: newer 4chan stuff as of Dec 9th

Namikaze

While dark, violent and brooding Noctis may have been more appealing to my 12-13 yr old self, I really like how they humanized him in FF15.

Someone needs to type out everything we knew about FFv13 before it came FF15, I'd be really curious to read that. My current understand is that Noctis was mostly alone, much more violent and eventually found friends and went on a road trip in Nomura's version? Idk, so confusing. I don't find any of the story bits in this "leak" to be any better than the ones in FF15 currently. Both stories seem to suck imo.

Edit: Also, "don't buy games at launch" was taken to a whole new level with this one. All that talk from Tabata about wanting to ship a complete game and yet we're getting patches for story content/PS4 pro a month after launch and beyond.

Trago

Be turnbased because that's the true final fantasy.
-no guns
-no cars
-no anime bullshit
-have a diverse cast ff never had that
-no chainsaws
Etc

giphy.gif

The story in FFXV is solid. It's not the story that's the problem, it's the way it's told.

Yeah, it's a shame. I think the core idea of FFXV's story and characters are fantastic, it's just the execution is really lacking. I wish they'd brought back the scale of the game a bit for the amount of time they had, and just focused on the story.

I think some of us should push the Tabata vs Nomura shit aside and look at this from a SE management problem angle.

They didn't give Nomura much time to work on anything along with some of Nomura's managing and was not allowed to talk about it.

They threw Tabata to the wolves and said fix this shit now you have until the end of September RIP.

rhandino

Banned
I always hate when someone uses Hallucinations to cover the weak points of the story. Loved Tokyo Magnitude though, but it was a very different story altogether as opposed to the one here where the lead was killed right in the start :p
But it also fits the part of the protagonist
repressing the death of his brother and thinking that he was with her for the rest of the chapter(s) until confronted with reality
. That was very neat.

I know is overused but it always make for some nice scenarios at least.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
This is confirmed. Versus XIII was supposed to be a game rated M.

What happened to Versus is screamingly obvious in my opinion.

FFXIII and FFXIV were in full production between 2005 and 2009, an elongated process due to the problems they had with the engine. Versus XIII was obviously pencilled in from the start to release some time after XIII because their "edgy alternative" would always need to follow their orthodox mainline entry.

Essentially this means as a project it would have the lowest priority in terms of active production, but tons of time in pre-production/conceping/prototyping... exactly the sort of situation where a single game gets blown out into a putative trilogy because when you don't have the staff to do something, you may as well expand and iterate on what you have in the hopes it will turn into something amazing.

Unfortunately, shit happens. XIII launches late and to a decidedly mixed response, then XIV lays a fucking egg really setting the cat amongst the pigeons. After 18 months of flailing around trying to fix this failed MMO, they eventually decide to throw everything they have into essentially rebuilding the game from the ground up as fast as possible. A hail-mary pass that essentially consigns all their other major projects onto the back burner for the duration.

Especially risky, single-platform products like Versus XIII.

Toriyama meanwhile is keeping the lights on by recycling the FFXIII assets into a cost-effective and heavily outsourced sequel that evidently was never pre-planned as it begins with a hard-reset on the plot of the original.

LR I really wouldn't be shocked to discover if it was built on the bones of the engine variant originally earmarked for V13 given its quasi --open world structure and dynamic TOD/lighting system. Some funding for this would likely seem more logical than V13 given its multi-platform nature and "completing the trilogy" (haha) gimmick.

Long story short, I'd be surprised if a great deal more than what was used for promotional purposes for Versus XIII actually ever existed in code. I'm sure there's stacks of paperwork and concept assets, but beyond some cg and vertical slice proof-of-concepts, it was always vaporware kept alive solely by Nojima's name and corporate standing.

Looking at what was going on elsewhere in the company over the entire duration of its "development", a team of the size neccessary to execute the project would never have been available.

Because anyone can watch the old trailers and make up a story around the scenes?

I might as well add "Ravus used to have a scar on the top part of his face, done by an angry, out of control Noctis when he killed Stella."

Oh SHIET! Well, that explains why old Ravus always had a mask on! :O

And some leaks are true, like this thread is proving. I'm certainly not on the "OMG, it sounds amazing!" train. And I obviously understand being skeptical of any rumors. But, you are literally in a thread about how some months old Final Fantasy rumors that people mocked and laughed off turned out to be true, mocking and laughing off new Final Fantasy rumors.

Not believing them, I get. The "lol, it's sad anyone would believe this," I don't. You seem bitter that there are people jumping to the conclusion that this would have been better. That's an obviously ignorant conclusion for them to jump to, but it's not something I would let rustle my jimmies.

I think some of us should push the Tabata vs Nomura shit aside and look at this from a SE management problem angle.

They didn't give Nomura much time to work on anything along with some of Nomura's managing and was not allowed to talk about it.

They threw Tabata to the wolves and said fix this shit now you have until the end of September RIP.
I don't have much confidence in SE to deliver another game that is universally praised.

I honestly expect FFVII: Remake to be fairly divisive among critics. Kingdom Hearts 3 won't get the high praise as Kingdom Hearts 2, which is the highest rated game in the series.

I think people need to understand the reality that the old SE is gone and the time when they could release multiple 90+ critically praised games is long done. It doesn't mean I won't buy their games anymore since I love whatever they release, as long as it is not outright terrible like the XIII trilogy.

Ishida

Banned
And some leaks are true, like this thread is proving. I'm certainly not on the "OMG, it sounds amazing!" train. And I obviously understand being skeptical of any rumors. But, you are literally in a thread about how some months old Final Fantasy rumors that people mocked and laughed off turned out to be true, mocking and laughing off new Final Fantasy rumors.

Not believing them, I get. The "lol, it's sad anyone would believe this," I don't. You seem bitter that there are people jumping to the conclusion that this would have been better. That's an obviously ignorant conclusion for them to jump to, but it's not something I would let rustle my jimmies.

One thread with leaks was proven to be true.

These are different threads, likely by different persons.

Every FF game has some sort of anime stuff to it .
There is no taking that out still i guess it depends on what you call anime bullshit .

I guess it felt less prevelant in the nes/snes games, some of it was in the ps1 trilogy, 8 in particular, though I will say that I appreciate how not anime xv feels, especially when compared to the thirteen trilogy

AzureFlame

I hope so. It would be amazing to have Episode I releasing next year. Keeping my expectations in check for that, however.

I'm expecting a demo to be honest and it makes most sense, not expecting a full episode, because they said the size of an episode or part is like a full retail game, which i do not expect anytime soon.

Alright, so for FFXVI needs:

- To dump Luminous
- Use Unreal 4
- Have a reasonable dev cycle
- Hire YoshiP as the director
- ????
- PROFIT!

I want a modern take again (don't kill me) but with modern takes on classic designs. I want to see a black mage order in a sci-punk fantasy setting complete with completely shadowed faces and glowing eyes. Thieves, white mages, etc etc.

I want to see open city designs (a la Assassin's Creed) where you can perhaps choose the order in which you meet your growing party depending on what your prefered playstyle is. Each party member is linked to a minor story arc and unique dungeons that wrap around the main arc without compromising the story based on which order you choose.

And I like the idea of character specific summons.

Infest

I feel bad for the development team. Seems like they had an extreme tight schedule to rework everything and a lot of pressure from the higher ups.

Tabata: “Quite some time has passed now… After we had switched from Versus to XV, the first decision we made was to make sure that FFXV would have a complete, coherent story in one game. That was an important decision—one made at the company level, too. So I started thinking about how we could get a full, coherent story in a single game. And the crux of that was which elements from Versus we could carry over and which would not fit into the new structure as XV.

I don't have much confidence in SE to deliver another game that is universally praised.

I honestly expect FFVII: Remake to be fairly divisive among critics. Kingdom Hearts 3 won't get the high praise as Kingdom Hearts 2, which is the highest rated game in the series.

I think people need to understand the reality that the old SE is gone and the time when they could release multiple 90+ critically praised games is long done. It doesn't mean I won't buy their games anymore since I love whatever they release, as long as it is not outright terrible like the XIII trilogy.
You leave Kingdom hearts outta this Tai will deliver(he doesn't get enough credit)

Ishida

Banned
I'm expecting a demo to be honest and it makes most sense, not expecting a full episode, because they said the size of an episode or part is like a full retail game, which i do not expect anytime soon.

It would be a real shame if they miss the anniversary, but I knew from the beginning this project would be massive, so it's better they take their time.

Man, this remake is going to be more divisive than XV, isn't it?

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Squenix needs to seriously fuck off with their franchising until they make a great game. It could be posited that any merchandising wouldn't be done by the game makers themselves so it wouldn't hurt expanding the franchise, but you know management fucked with their shit when they came up with Kingslaive.

An Audi Car!?!?!?

Joqu

People who are praising the Versus story, what exactly am I missing in it that makes it so much better than what we got? Both are terrible if you take a look at them in summary form.

I just find it hilarious that a character that was given so much love and importance was..... basically killed at the start of the game. I would love to pay for the game being released just to see the reaction of the Stella fans :p

P.S I am already over Versus/XV and I enjoyed my time with XV and consider it my top FFs. Just here for reading the reactions, whether the leak is true or not, it doesn't matter because one was merely a concept while the other is an actual game.

I can't say whether it would've been well executed from a summary, but it just appeals more to me, that's all ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Killed off at the start sucks, sure, but she'd still get to play a role in the story and I just know the reveal would have me cry like a baby, it's easy enough to get me emotional with that kind of tragic stuff, sue me :p

And I do dislike how they handled Luna's presence in XV, and I think there's a serious lack of intimate scenes in that game. To me that summary sounds like it at least wouldn't have those issues

I still like XV tho

Ray Down

Banned
I feel bad for the development team. Seems like they had an extreme tight schedule to rework everything and a lot of pressure from the higher ups.

Tabata: “Quite some time has passed now… After we had switched from Versus to XV, the first decision we made was to make sure that FFXV would have a complete, coherent story in one game. That was an important decision—one made at the company level, too. So I started thinking about how we could get a full, coherent story in a single game. And the crux of that was which elements from Versus we could carry over and which would not fit into the new structure as XV.

Hope they all get there rest

Shame shit was rushed / removed.

Yeah, I would have loved to have played a version of XV closer to what Tabata had planned. I know things inevitably get cut from games in development anyway, but XV's issues certainly felt a lot more pronounced. I enjoyed my time with XV, it just feels extremely sparse in regards to character and story.

DNAbro

I'm curious what connection Versus XIII had with the Fabula Nova Crystallis mythos. The supposed leak doesn't seem to imply any connection to that.

But it also fits the part of the protagonist
repressing the death of his brother and thinking that he was with her for the rest of the chapter(s) until confronted with reality
. That was very neat.

I know is overused but it always make for some nice scenarios at least.
The twist definitely made for some emotional moment for me, lol.

Anyways, it is useless to argue over how the twist would be played in Versus since no one knows. It could have been outright terrible for all we know. Simply having the same twist doesn't make it better since this summary never explains how Noctis learns about it in the game.

One thread with leaks was proven to be true.

These are different threads, likely by different persons.
This is important to clarify since the first thread was legit, but the second one only sounds plausible while the third one is hilariously fake.

It would be a real shame if they miss the anniversary, but I knew from the beginning this project would be massive, so it's better they take their time.

Man, this remake is going to be more divisive than XV, isn't it?

Well it always going to be judge by the old version so yes .
Hell just the new battle system already got some people up in arms .

Ishida

Banned

I'll always be grateful to Nomura, Tabata and the entire team of people who worked on this game along the 10 years of it's creation. It must have been a massive task,and every time Nomura and Tabata spoke of the game, you could see real passion, effort, exhaustion. They poured years of their lives into it.

Thanks to Nomura for creating the concept and the characters, and probably outlining the world. And thanks to Tabata for actually making it into a game that has garnered great reviews and is selling pretty well (Except in Japan, but lol).

When I got my Ultimate Collector's Edition, seeing the small booklet full of developer signatures.. Man, it was real powerful for me as a gamer.

"2.Because of said Nomura trilogy hopes, and because Square would rather have him on KH3 and FF7 remake. With Nomura it would have been good, but would have taken way more time just to get part 1 out, like an extra 2 years"

This bodes well for the ff7 remake lol

Trago

I want a modern take again (don't kill me) but with modern takes on classic designs. I want to see a black mage order in a sci-punk fantasy setting complete with completely shadowed faces and glowing eyes. Thieves, white mages, etc etc.

I want to see open city designs (a la Assassin's Creed) where you can perhaps choose the order in which you meet your growing party depending on what your prefered playstyle is. Each party member is linked to a minor story arc and unique dungeons that wrap around the main arc without compromising the story based on which order you choose.

And I like the idea of character specific summons.

I honestly think we're due for some high fantasy again like in IX. XIV's art is a-goddamn-mazing, so imagine new singleplayer entry with a fresh take on the high fantasy on current gen hardware. I needs it.

Top Bottom