• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something interesting in Battlefield 4 site source code

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
While it could be something shady, it isn't necessarily. EA may have had a press event already, with coverage embargoed, and may have had a peek at IGN's preview in advance. That itself might be a bit shady - showing a preview to the publisher pre-publication - but if the preview was otherwise an honest piece with no interference it wouldn't be THAT shady. However, on the other end of the scale it could also be a bad case of full-blown PR-orchestrated journalism/marketing deal. Just not necessarily :p

S0N0S

BUT WHAT ABOUT BIOSHOCK WEEK

EXCLUSIVE REVIEW

SLQJc.gif

I laughed this gif off last year. Sure it's hilarious, but that's not the reality of the situation!

So I thought.

While it could be something shady, it isn't necessarily. EA may have had a press event already, with coverage embargoed, and may have had a peak at IGN's preview in advance. That itself might be a bit shady - showing a preview to the publisher pre-publication - but if the preview was otherwise an honest piece with no interference it wouldn't be THAT shady. However, on the other end of the scale it could also be a bad case of full-blown PR-orchestrated journalism/marketing deal. Just not necessarily :p

This is the first thing that crossed my mind.

While it could be something shady, it isn't necessarily. EA may have had a press event already, with coverage embargoed, and may have had a peek at IGN's preview in advance. That itself might be a bit shady - showing a preview to the publisher pre-publication - but if the preview was otherwise an honest piece with no interference it wouldn't be THAT shady. However, on the other end of the scale it could also be a bad case of full-blown PR-orchestrated journalism/marketing deal. Just not necessarily :p

Hmm, after some thinking, this is probably the case.

Am I missing something?

You do realise the press already saw BF 4 right? IGN probably got the exclusive preview/reveal/wtv and the website will be linking to it later due to an embargo like it has happened a million times before. What's the big deal here exactly?

That's what I was thinking but it still looks pretty bad.

Midas

Didn't Gamestop or whatever see the game already? Chances are slightly high that IGN and other media outlets already did as well. :)

Am I missing something?

You do realise the press already saw BF 4 right? IGN probably got the exclusive preview/reveal/wtv and the website will be linking to it later due to an embargo like it has happened a million times before. What's the big deal here exactly?
Seeing the game =/= playing it

Am I missing something?

lol

Hystzen

People looking too much into it, seems be more a joke by coder then anything plus IGN is predictable. Plus free publicity on twitter doesn't matter if good or bad still publicity for the game

No_Style

As always, gofreak brings in the common sense.

Am I missing something?

You do realise the press already saw BF 4 right? IGN probably got the exclusive preview/reveal/wtv and the website will be linking to it later due to an embargo like it has happened a million times before. What's the big deal here ?exactly

the usual overreaction when EA is involved.

seriously, the super large PAID ads on IGN just before the reviews are way worse than this.

Of course everything could be a mistake or just some embargoed preview article that already exists.

However, the timing could not be worse for EA and IGN being heavily in crossfire lately.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Of course everything could be a mistake or just some embargoed preview article that already exists.

However, the timing could not be worse for EA and IGN being heavily in crossfire lately.

Pretty much this. I'd lean towards it being EA being over-optimistic because an IGN editor pointed it out, but still, hilarious timing.

UrbanRats

Am I missing something?

I am more shocked about BF4 as a predicted GOTY, in the same year of Last of Us, GTAV and a lot of other good shit.

Considering it's EA and IGN I'd wager that the ad side of IGN brokered a deal for an article and the editor side doesn't know they have to make it yet.

Hmm. Makes you think. So either ...

A. IGN has seen Battlefield 4, and written up a typically hyberbolic piece about it, wherein they likely call it a "Game of the Year Contender". EA then, SOMEHOW, had early access to the article, to quote out for publicity's sake.

B. IGN has been paid to call Battlefield 4 "An early favorite for Game Of The Year".

Either way, there's a dirty relationship going on here. IGN's integrity has always been in the gutter, but this is VERY to being damning evidence for some serious shit.

Top Bottom