• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Source code for The Witcher 3 and other CDPR Games revealed online

Draugoth

Gold Member
These archives hit the net along with the CyberPunk 2077 source code back in 2021, but the passwords to them have not been known until now

GLobQYRXYAAcEcs

Guilty_AI

As a programmer, this intrigues me. I don’t care about being able to build a playable game with the code.
It opens a ton of possibilities. Just look at id tech 1, there's a whole community of mods, modern ports and even full blown doom-like games.

I hope someone is as passionate about Cyberpunk as these guys are about hacking and makes a game-sized mod with new quests and content.

CP2077 receiving a single DLC is the greatest travesty of the generation.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
At this point, CDPR should just make the code open source and immortalize their games like DOOM was. They're abandoning the Red Engine for UE5 anyway.
Imagine the effects this would have on gaming too- we'd get a bunch of indie WRPGs building off Witcher and Cyberpunk as a base. It'd be paradise and rejuvenate the genre even more after Baldur's Gate 3 repopularized it

Guilty_AI

Imagine the effects this would have on gaming too- we'd get a bunch of indie WRPGs building off Witcher and Cyberpunk as a base. It'd be paradise and rejuvenate the genre even more after Baldur's Gate 3 repopularized it
Though to be extremely precise, one of the reasons DOOM engine development blew up so much is because it was relatively easy to make games using it. I don't think we'd see something nowhere near that level here, though we would probably get some cool stuff later down the line like how Quake got Arcane dimensions and WRATH.

Last edited:

violence

Hey fuck you Picasso that last painting sucked.

This kind of crap doesn’t really ignite the passion. I’m assuming they ignore all the smack talk online.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Though to be extremely precise, one of the reasons DOOM engine development blew up so much is because it was relatively easy to make games using it. I don't think we'd see something nowhere near that level here, though we would probably get some cool stuff later down the line like how Quake got Arcane dimensions and WRATH.
more accessible development tools either way. And i'm sure redengine is probably easier to work in than Unoptimized Engine 5

Guilty_AI

And i'm sure redengine is probably easier to work in than Unoptimized Engine 5
I.... don't think it would. CDPR isn't exactly know for pristine game releases, and that usually relates to poor coding practices.

In fact, fixing a lot of stuff that's definitely wrong with their code would probably be one of the biggests advantages of this.

Last edited:

Hugare

Exciting. Infinite possibilities.

Sucks for CDPR, but they are leaving this engine behind, so who cares.

Mozzarella

I dont think that would help much, CDPR games are not game design focused, their game design and even the world design isn't super flexible or complex, it just follows the standard, their whole power stems from writing and cinematic directing.
So indie devs dont have much material to work with.

Guilty_AI

I dont think that would help much, CDPR games are not game design focused, their game design and even the world design isn't super flexible or complex, it just follows the standard, their whole power stems from writing and cinematic directing.
So indie devs dont have much material to work with.
Their engine seems very good at making large open worlds though, which is something that lacks in the realm of open source tools and 3rd party engines.

Top Bottom