• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Sony is working on multiple Remakes and Remastereds for 2024 & 2025

Perrott

Gold Member
I still consider this tweet only half fulfilled:

They said they were working on original content after Demon's Souls, but I wouldn't rule out it being a remake with additional content. Some sort of middle ground between a remake and an actual new game. Only thing missing is what the hell they are working on...

It's been long enough since that tweet was posted, that it perhaps may have been referencing a cancelled project, in addition to Demon's Souls.

Three

I still consider this tweet only half fulfilled:

They said they were working on original content after Demon's Souls, but I wouldn't rule out it being a remake with additional content. Some sort of middle ground between a remake and an actual new game. Only thing missing is what the hell they are working on...

They said so many title keywords that it was impossible to know what exactly it was referencing.

"2 return from shadow" make it seem like it's 2 games. Might have just been the hints in the text about silent hill remake (which they didn't work on) and demon's souls.

Ozriel

M$FT
They said so many title keywords that it was impossible to know what exactly it was referencing.

"2 return from shadow" make it seem like it's 2 games. Might have just been the hints in the text about silent hill remake (which they didn't work on) and demon's souls.

I remember thinking it meant a Syphon Filter remake was coming…

Three

I remember thinking it meant a Syphon Filter remake was coming…
Yeah, a lot of people did. They dropped several game title keywords in that tweet that it made it impossible to guess. Syphon Filter, twisted metal, silent hill, demon's souls, metal gear solid, even Resistance. People guessed everything. I do think a Syphon filter was maybe on the cards though, perhaps a cancelled project?

nial

Gold Member
Yeah, a lot of people did. They dropped several game title keywords in that tweet that it made it impossible to guess. Syphon Filter, twisted metal, silent hill, demon's souls, metal gear solid, even Resistance. People guessed everything. I do think a Syphon filter was maybe on the cards though, perhaps a cancelled project?
Ape Escape too, lol. We were already having rumors of a Demon's Souls remake by that point, tho.

They've constantly been working on various remasters and remakes for the better part of the last decade (even longer than that) so this is hardly a surprise.

That said since we're talking about them, I do want 1) Killzone 2 & 3 remasters and a remake for the first one; 2) Resistance Trilogy Remaster; 3) Infamous 1 & 2 Remasters; 4) MotorStorm: Pacific Rift Remaster; 5) Rain Remaster; :messenger_grinning_sweat:
yeah, resistance & infamous, please. I still can't believe that Sony never even made the resistance trilogy available digitally on the ps3 store...

EDMIX

Gimmie Socom

That would take a lot of work lol

What team would you trust to do it justice?
The generation of remasters.

I mean, none of this is new to Sony though, you could say that about past generations too. The remastered and remade lots of games in the past, like ports from PS2 to PSP, PS2 to PS3, PS3 to PS4....

I mean....we are not really talking about a brand new thing to define a generation by it lol You fucking telling me you didn't know they've been doing remasters of popular IP for generations?
Horizon: Zero Dawn has a remake in development, per a leaked XDEV document. Likely a PS5 Pro launch title.
This is actually a remaster regarding those rumors, I have clue where you got a "remake" of it was happening lol So I think you are trying your best to force that idea to be a "remake" when what is even being talked about in that rumor suports the remasters we've seen from them in the past like with The Last Of Us, Ghost Of Tsushima etc

There are rumors of it being 2007's Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.
Makes sense as anything from that PS3 gen is ripe for the remake
k, but new games matter more
? Ok, that is actually being done by their other teams.

Did you think that 2000 plus people where working on 1 remake or? You do know this is fucking outsourced by smaller teams right? lol

Sooooo did you just think that Blue Point games remastering Uncharted collection means you'd get Uncharted 5 from them in 6 months if they didn't make that remaster?

Sir...that is like saying Grove Street Games could have made GTA6 instead of that trilogy in that same time frame and be like "nEw gAyMEz mAttErz mOrE" lol

I don' think some of you under stand this is not an either or, the teams outsourced to do this were never going to make some massive AAA game instead in 6 fucking months anymore then the 50 people that put Titanic in 4K were not going to magically make Titanic 2 instead lol

Do you also believe the those pesky re-runs are hurting new seasons too cause "new seasons matter more"? lol

So....don't make more money to fund those new games is what you are saying? Make less will help those new games or ? lol

Perrott

Gold Member
This is actually a remaster regarding those rumors, I have clue where you got a "remake" of it was happening lol So I think you are trying your best to force that idea to be a "remake" when what is even being talked about in that rumor suports the remasters we've seen from them in the past like with The Last Of Us, Ghost Of Tsushima etc
I'm not trying to "force" anything.

We first learned about this Horizon: Zero Dawn re-release over a year and a half ago, through an XDEV document that was already around a year old by then, which means it's been in the works since at least 2021.

So if it was a simple remaster, such as The Last Of Us Part II or the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (excluding the Iki Island expansion), there's just no reason for it to have taken this long to come out.

That, and the fact that for the Until Dawn re-release Sony decided to go down the remake route rather than a simple 4K/60 remaster, makes me think that they're actually rebuilding the entirety of Zero Dawn in the Forbidden West build of the Decima Engine.

It's the only explanation for a development cycle of over three years.

EDMIX

I'm not trying to "force" anything.

We first learned about this Horizon: Zero Dawn re-release over a year

yea....so its a re-release, remaster, my comment is in regards to your original post trying to force a narrative about a "remake" when the rumor it self is not even suggesting anything near that.
So if it was a simple remaster, such as The Last Of Us Part II or the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut (excluding the Iki Island expansion), there's just no reason for it to have taken this long to come out.

? That doesn't make any sense though, we had The Last Of Us 2 remaster take longer to come out then Ghost Of Tsushima and neither fucking title is a remake lol

Soooooo you are trying to make it sound like "taken this long" is some indication of some massive thing happening and for all we know they are simply timing its release with Horizon Zero Dawn show on Netflix

Keep in mind, you don't even fucking know what is happening with that remaster to pretend taking years mans something more or less, it could be based on GG also working on other titles, timing its release for the Netflix show or even PS Pro

Again...The Last Of Us 2 remaster came out years after Ghost Of Tsushima remaster.....that shit was not a fucking remake lol

makes me think that they're actually rebuilding the entirety of Zero Dawn in the Forbidden West build of the Decima Engine.

That would still be in the ballpark of a remaster though...

Last edited:
I’m down for God of War 1-3 remake, and Uncharted 1-4
HOWEVER I think the remake we deserve is The Last Of Us Part 2 Remake Remasturd.…*takes a well deserved bow*

Perrott

Gold Member
That would still be in the ballpark of a remaster though...
Oh, then we're just having a fundamental misunderstanding of what each other was talking about, when in reality we're just thinking of the same thing.

Yeah, by remake I didn't mean... a Final Fantasy VII-style remake at all, just something along the lines of the upcoming Until Dawn remake: more or less the same game, perhaps with some quality of life and accessibility features introduced, but with its visuals reworked under a modern build of Decima to more properly resemble the visual makeup of Forbidden West.

That doesn't make any sense though, we had The Last Of Us 2 remaster take longer to come out then Ghost Of Tsushima and neither fucking title is a remake lol
Again, you missed my point. When I say "there's no reason for the Horizon: Zero Dawn re-release to take this long to come out", I mean it relative to the fact that we know it's been in the works for at least 2.5yrs already thanks to the leaked XDEV document, not relative to the time we're in into the PS5 lifecycle or relative to the release dates of any past remasters or remakes.

The Last Of Us Part II Remastered, for instance, wasn't the works for that long. In fact, it's development was kickstarted, probably ahead of schedule, by the fact that The Last Of Us Online's development was halted in spring of last year, leading to a portion of the staff asigned to it to start work on the remaster and its No Return mode, which they delivered in less than a year. Hell, even the Ghost of Tsushima Director's Cut remaster was released just 13 months after the original, and that was with Sucker Punch releasing the Legends multiplayer in-between and developing the Iki Island story expansion.

I hope you now understand how it wouldn't make sense for the Horizon: Zero Dawn to have been in development for nearly three years had it just been a 4K/60/DualSense remaster like Part II or GOT. There's likely more to it, more complexity to its development, which leads me to believe it's an Until Dawn-style effort.

In any case, I don't care about Horizon, so this will be the last I'll say on this topic.

Last edited:

YuLY

I hope they touch the hugely problematic story bits in the original Uncharted trilogy to make it more ESG compliant.

Top Bottom