• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Something's a stir between Square and MS at TGS

macewank

gregor7777 said:
You wouldn't happen to have a source that told you that, would you? Maybe one who had something to say about E3?

couple people earlier in the thread mentioned something along those lines being printed in famitsu

Spiegel

gregor7777 said:
You wouldn't happen to have a source that told you that, would you? Maybe one who had something to say about E3?

His source is Famitsu.

But MS has some announcements, maybe it's published by them.

dacuk

FFVI in DS (4 Gb cart), with downloable extra content to SD, if DSi.

Could be possible, DS seems to be a mine for SE

Aselith

HiResDes said:
I like how everyone always makes it seem like MS has given its gaming sector an endless budget, or that they can somehow funnel all of this money they have into the sector. The realist looks at MS, looks at western economies, and the emergence of Apple as real contender and asks themselves just how much money can Microsoft afford to throw at SE for a remake of a game whose fans mostly all have PS3s.

Real contender for what? Second place in the hipster market?

StuBurns

Banned
clashfan said:
What about Mistwalker? How come we haven't heard anything from them?
I guess Cry On isn't ready to be shown.
I haven't been blown away by their output so far, but I always got the feeling BD and LO were games made to order by Microsoft, and that Cry On is what he wanted to do, it could be really great.

Opus Angelorum said:
I've just realised my fate will be decided whilst I sleep.

Well if I don't appear tomorrow you'll know what happened, farewell to those that care.

Hope to see you on the other side!

Threi

notag
vantastic said:
this is a pretty sad thread. people don't even care about the games. all i read is "i wanna see the meltdowns!"
Unless Chrono 3 gets announced for any random system yeah fuck em il take the meltdowns.

Synless

Sooooo........has anything happened yet? Have they even shown anything of interest? I didn't see anything updated in the OP.

Synless

gregor7777 said:
Tonight at 11pm EST is when it starts.
Ahhhh, I see. Well then I will come back into this thread around that time then, carry on with your FFVII Remake and Chrono 3 talk.

Opus Angelorum said:
I've just realised my fate will be decided whilst I sleep.

Well if I don't appear tomorrow you'll know what happened, farewell to those that care.

Godspeed you magnificent bastard!

MoogPaul

As a serious question, If they wanted to make Chrono 3 with Sakaguchi involved, wouldn't the game have to be on the xbox360 (not saying exclusive). Doesn't Microsoft pretty much own him at this point?

MoogPaul said:
As a serious question, If they wanted to make Chrono 3 with Sakaguchi involved, wouldn't the game have to be on the xbox360 (not saying exclusive). Doesn't Microsoft pretty much own him at this point?

His last two games were DS games.

Maybe someone else can chime in on his contractual obligations, if any.

Skiptastic said:
Godspeed you magnificent bastard!

2605523830_34111c1cbe_o.jpg

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
"Sakaguchi" isn't contractually obligated to anything, and I don't think he's contractually obligated to make any games for anyone except that Microsoft would not fund a game for PlayStation 3. :D

The crossover is never happening again. Apparently Sakaguchi and Horii don't really get along?

Though there is one thing that confuses me. When people say that Mistwalker was set up with the financial backing of Microsoft, I am confused as to whether that means the first few games were funded or if the payroll was actually eaten by MS for a little while. That could be where the contractual obligations could come from, but I do not know what's up with that (plus, obviously they've been designing on the DS).

I'm sure duckroll knows. He's such a smartie.

soco

gregor7777 said:
His last two games were DS games.

Maybe someone else can chime in on his contractual obligations, if any.

my understanding was that as far as console exclusivity, Mistwalker was tied directly to the 360 until that contract ended or was terminated, but Mistwalker could do whatever they wanted for portables.

i don't think anyone really knows the actual contractual obligations. perhaps it was for a specific number of games with an option to extend it? perhaps it was for a specific time period? who knows, but i believe he has made comments about only developing on the 360.

i use italics because depending upon the contract, he could possibly pull a Peter Molyneux or even do it just independent of Mistwalker.

MoogPaul

Y2Kev said:
"Sakaguchi" isn't contractually obligated to anything, and I don't think he's contractually obligated to make any games for anyone except that Microsoft would not fund a game for PlayStation 3. :D

The crossover is never happening again. Apparently Sakaguchi and Horii don't really get along?

Though there is one thing that confuses me. When people say that Mistwalker was set up with the financial backing of Microsoft, I am confused as to whether that means the first few games were funded or if the payroll was actually eaten by MS for a little while. That could be where the contractual obligations could come from, but I do not know what's up with that (plus, obviously they've been designing on the DS).

I was under the impression that Microsoft flipped the bill for the studio itself. The building, computers, etc etc.

As far as the DS, no problem. There is no microsoft handheld, Rare makes DS games too. I'm pretty sure microsoft is really trying to pimp the "Xbox and Wii/DS go together so well" which between the lines read "MUST KILL SONY".

Synless said:
It would be incredibly stupid for you to get a perma for this. I've seen way worse happen and people not get perma banned.

Indeed, I'm by no means a favourite around here but I am certainly not... never mind.

If Duckroll thinks it's worthy of a permanent ban then that's his decision, I'll be gutted if it happens. I love this damn place.

cvxfreak

I expected a FFV remake for DS to be announced by now, and thought TGS might be the place to do it.

We have this week's Famitsu to pay attention to, right?

Zen

Banned
Kinitari said:
Well getting into a moneyhatting war with Microsoft is just a bad idea, and Microsoft right now is barely doing anything in Japan even WITH all the square love. I'm not sure exactly what anyone expects Sony to do other than wait for Square to get fed up with selling 200k copies of their games in Japan, and eventually shift back to Ps3/Nintendy.

No one said that they would have to match Microsoft for every penny. The issue is one of brand identity and the steps that Sony allows Microsoft to make now will set the foundation for the Xbox brand eventually being a competitive force in the Japanese marketplace in the future.

Back when we first started seeing the fruits of Microsofts co development deals the 360 was selling like 2k a week. Japanese consumers didn't associate it with JRPGs. Now, even though both of their sales are small compared to the Wii, we're seeing the 360 (thanks in part also to agressive pricing) outselling the PS3 for a month in Japan for the first time ever.

The issue here is that when the 360 was weaker in Japan, Sony could have offered a comparatively smaller deal to developers to release their RPGs on the PS3 first and it still would have made more sense to a developer, even in the face of Microsofts much better support.

Instead of following a tactic of supression, Sony Japan has been complacent and lazy and allowed Microsoft to roam unchecked in the market place. "A Moneyhat war" isn't necessary now, but the stronger the Xbox brand becomes over the long term in Japan, the more a money hat war would need to become a reality.

And that's a war that Sony can't win, so instead they need to focus on seeing the same long term game as Microsoft, and instead focus on supression.

You might say that "It only outsold it for a month" but Japanese devs are looking at this, and at least Microsofts console is showing some positive momentum. The PS3 is just stagnant, and SCEJ has the appearance of being innept and useless in changing that situation.

Had Sony offered... anything, relatively speaking, this gen to Japanese devs, you wouldn't be seeing things like Last Remnant slowly becoming a 360 exclusive.

Zen said:
Sony really needs to, um, stop letting Microsoft slowly eat their pie. It's absurd how they've just sat by, twiddling their thumbs, while Microsoft is replacing their forte in the Japanese Market.

Moneyhats aside, I agree with your sentiment. Sony really can't afford to even let Microsoft gain any kind of ground or momentum in Japan. If Microsoft becomes even a diminutive threat to Sony in Japan, they could be permanently screwed. Anything can happen this generation.

HiResDes

Aselith said:
Real contender for what? Second place in the hipster market?
Touche, I'm not really an Apple fan at all, and I found their "I'm a PC ads" to be extremely shortsighted and annoying...I do however recognize that the market for apple computers is definitely growing, more universities are going apple, and yes they have hipsters on lock.

Top Bottom