• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Advance 3 - Portable World Adventure

RK128

Aaaah, a RK128 thread.

I missed all your previous advance threads I think (if you made any). Advance 3 is probably the one I played the least (and the few bits I played I was mixed about). But I have great love for Advance 1 and 2 which I think to date are the last (chronologically) good 2d sonic games made, and boy did I love advance 2 for it. And advance 1, while not as fast felt a lot like a classic

I bumped the Retrospective thread every time I made a new thread. If you didn't check those out, I have links to the Advance and Advance 2 threads in this OP :D.

Advance 2 is my favorite in the series due to its fast nature and it being one of my first 2D Sonic game :).

RK128

It would certainly be better than what we got :p

I agree with that; the quality of the GBA Sound Chip was pushed to its limit with Advance 3 and while the music rocks, you can tell that they had issue with the hardware at points.

Thank you all for posting in this thread :D! Nice to see people enjoying Sonic Advance 3 so much :).

Anura

The worst of the three by far. Level design felt worse than 2 somehow. At least the soundtrack is great

Loved this game, last chaos emerald special stage was BS and getting the key was annoying so I just gave up on it. X_x

Sad I never got to try this games Co-op mode...

bman94

I loved the Advance series. I wish Sega would stop twiddling their thumbs and release all the Advance games on the Wii U eShop. Sonic Advance 3 was gorgeous.

I 100%ed this game and remember next to nothing about it, except for Non-Aggression; and Cream and Tails completely broke the game. I didn't even remember there was a hub world. I played Sonic Battle a ton, so Gemerl being evil made me sad. Eggman was such a piece of shit.

I was not a fan of Sonic Advance 2, so I never tried Advance 3... I will some day.

Sonic Rush is by far the best portable Sonic game though.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Sonic Advance 3 is my least favorite game of the advance series for several reasons.

-I hated the hub world and didn't get the point of them, what was wrong with a level select screen that the first two game had.

-Like what the OP said the game tried to combine both Advance 1 and Advance 2 with the tag team action and as a result the speed element from Advance 2 got lost as there was too many obstacles that would disrupt your speed.

-Using the tag team action was not fun, as it slowed the game down and in cases of bosses left Sonic vulnerable.

-Music isn't as good as the first two Advance game.

-The requirement to get to the special stage was just annoying, people harp on Sonic Advance 2 being bad but Advance 3 is the worse as you need to;

-Find all the chaos in the level and hub world.
-Replay the level to find the key and not die, otherwise the location would reset.
-Find the special stage spring in the hub world.
-Do the special stage, which isn't so bad for the earlier one but the later one, especially special stage 7 can get downright bullshit with its difficulty.

Unlike Sonic Advance 1 and 2 I just don't find the game fun and it's a shame that the Advance series ended on a bum note.

Loved this game, last chaos emerald special stage was BS and getting the key was annoying so I just gave up on it. X_x

Agreed I was once nearly close but I got hit and I was short by 1 ring, I was so pissed off that I just flat out refused to play the game.

It took the effort of my little Brother to get last Chaos Emerald and that was after repeated trial and errors.

Ivan 3414

Sad I never got to try this games Co-op mode...

I played it for maybe 15 minutes.

Definitely an amazing experience. Makes you wish for more 2D co-op Sonic games.

Psxphile

Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the hub levels. Having to search out the entrances to the actual zones didn't seem quite as fun as, say, searching for Special Stage entrances in Sonic 3. Sonic Advance 2's map screen is about as far level selection should go... and ideally it should be more like Sonic 3 where the stages all lead in to each other. Hub levels just break up the action.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yeah, I wasn't a big fan of the hub levels. Having to search out the entrances to the actual zones didn't seem quite as fun as, say, searching for Special Stage entrances in Sonic 3. Sonic Advance 2's map screen is about as far level selection should go... and ideally it should be more like Sonic 3 where the stages all lead in to each other. Hub levels just break up the action.

Agreed, in Advance 1 and 2 once you completed act 1 the game would continue and send you to act 2.

In Advance 3 that isn't an option as once you have finished act 1 you are booted back into the hub world and you had the find the next level which was annoying and like you said breaks the flow of the game.

It's a great game, but I wish the game cut out the hubworld. Really like the partner mechanic though, probably one of the best implementations the series has had with multiple playable characters.

I played it for maybe 15 minutes.

Definitely an amazing experience. Makes you wish for more 2D co-op Sonic games.

Consider me jealous....

It's all that I ever wanted in a sonic game. I was the dude that loved playing as tails in the sonic playthough CO-OP in any game that has the feature (so much fun doing this in Sonic Adventure....not so much in Shadow the Hedgehog).

Guess it's also the reason why I love Tails and I think it kick started my liking of sidekicks.

Sacul64GC

Banned
My favourite of the advance trilogy, though adv 1 was probably technically better, I think I've played this more. A lot of people seem to really dislike it, but I can't understand why. It's definitely better than adv 2. I'd love to see them try to add stages from this to a hypothetical generations 2. At least it got some notice with a remix of Route 99 and the time break theme being half from cyber track.

I've never actually finished the game however. My save file is still stuck on 6/7 emeralds and the last special stage is too much for me, especially with how tedious it is to get keys to even attempt the thing.

Its kinda lame but to get the last one I pulled up a youtube video so that I could see where the next rings were and just kept pausing. Its cheap but so is that last stage.

This game always felt like it was constructed out of leftover scraps from the first two Sonic Advance games. A lot of things about it feel really haphazard and kind of sloppy.

Top Bottom