• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed |OT| Everybody's Super Sonic Racing

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Oh shit. Just realized you can play this on gamepad only mode. Had no idea.

*swipes up and down and watches the transition of the video feed.*

Mind blown.

Takao

Banned
Fuck SEGA, Vita has an OS level screenshot functionality, why y'all being so in the dark regarding media on that build? A screenshot won't even tell us the game's running at 10fps.

Tizoc

The game is currently among the top 5 purchased games off the WiiU eShop. I expect the game's biggest income will be through digital distribution.

no_to_co

I can't find the option to play it on the Wii U pad alone. All the other games have a little button in the main menue. Any ideas?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I can't find the option to play it on the Wii U pad alone. All the other games have a little button in the main menue. Any ideas?

Swipe down on the gamepad screen.

I have a friend who's getting the Wii U version; what causes the Boot Race glitch? Is it the Wii U patch itself, or a game update when you first start the game?

olimpia84

Is the online broken for anybody? I jumped online for the first time a few minutes ago, was playing the Skies of Arcadia level, dominating in 1st and when I cross the finish line for the victory it 'reverted' me back to lap 2 and ended up last.
Then, in another race I clearly finished 5th and while we were waiting for the last few racers to cross the finish line I misteriously got bumped into first place (getting all the points, stickers and whatnot from finishing first while I clearly ended up 5th).

Is the online broken for anybody? I jumped online for the first time a few minutes ago, was playing the Skies of Arcadia level, dominating in 1st and when I cross the finish line for the victory it 'reverted' me back to lap 2 and ended up last.
Then, in another race I clearly finished 5th and while we were waiting for the last few racers to cross the finish line I misteriously got bumped into first place (getting all the points, stickers and whatnot from finishing first while I clearly ended up 5th).

Yeah, online matchmaking is riddled with problems. I hope they sort it out, as between constantly being kicked due to network errors, inaccurate finish results, and collision detection being *completely* screwed up (if somebody nudges you, you get rammed so hard it stops you dead), matchmaking is broken.

I just wish Sumo would give us the ability to open up custom games to anybody, as at least then you could get some friends together, fill the rest of the slots with random people, and have some decent races with no problems. Custom games are fine because they're hosted locally, but matchmaking games are hosted by Sumo's servers, which obviously have issues.

I've beat all of World Tour on Expert, all of the Grand Prixs on Expert (including the Mirror Cups, and all of Time Trial Expert staff ghosts on all of the tracks up to Chilly Castle. But now I've hit a brick wall, because I can't beat this fucking ghost. I'm 36th on the global leaderboards, but only the people 29th and upwards have beat it.

I've seen plenty of people here complain about this game being too hard. For the most part, it isn't. The only thing I only really complained about before was Traffic Attack. And that was more because it's difficulty made it unfun rather than undoable.

But this is both. This is the first time I feel the game is broken, because Sumo put an obstacle in place that 99.9% of people can never overcome. I wouldn't mind if there were no achievements that required you to beat all of the staff ghosts, but there are. Two in fact. And because I like this game a lot, I've been pushing myself to get all of them. That turned out to be a waste of time.

I have no problems with Chilly Castle on any other mode, and I've defended it when other people have called it a bad track. But when the staff ghost can take the final S-bend at maximum speed, I'm calling bullshit.

Bgamer90

Banned
Just got this game. It's really fun.

There's a definite lack of overall polish but it's funny since the overall lack of polish reminds me a lot of '90s Sega games. It's a good/bad thing (for lack of a better way for me to put it).

Brannon

So I take it that more than one of the Boost Challenges are broken? Because I'm trying this Super Monkey Ball challenge and no matter how perfect I do the run on Medium, I just can't get ANYTHING.

Is it me?

robot

So I take it that more than one of the Boost Challenges are broken? Because I'm trying this Super Monkey Ball challenge and no matter how perfect I do the run on Medium, I just can't get ANYTHING.

Is it me?

WiiU version? Yep, a few of them are busted. I think there's 1 or 2 others later on.

Coxy

I just can't seem to beat the expert ghosts. I'm always less than a second behind, it's so aggravating.

are you remembering to do a lap without using a boost first so you can use the boost just as you go across the line to start the next lap?

Atolm

I've beat all of World Tour on Expert, all of the Grand Prixs on Expert (including the Mirror Cups, and all of Time Trial Expert staff ghosts on all of the tracks up to Chilly Castle. But now I've hit a brick wall, because I can't beat this fucking ghost. I'm 36th on the global leaderboards, but only the people 29th and upwards have beat it.

I've seen plenty of people here complain about this game being too hard. For the most part, it isn't. The only thing I only really complained about before was Traffic Attack. And that was more because it's difficulty made it unfun rather than undoable.

But this is both. This is the first time I feel the game is broken, because Sumo put an obstacle in place that 99.9% of people can never overcome. I wouldn't mind if there were no achievements that required you to beat all of the staff ghosts, but there are. Two in fact. And because I like this game a lot, I've been pushing myself to get all of them. That turned out to be a waste of time.

I have no problems with Chilly Castle on any other mode, and I've defended it when other people have called it a bad track. But when the staff ghost can take the final S-bend at maximum speed, I'm calling bullshit.

Yeah, I'm done with World Tour and Grand Prix, and now I'm having a very hard time with Time Trials. The Yokozuna trophy is glitched and you'll get it as soon as you beat the Expert Ghost at Sunshine Tour Mirror...

Boogiepop

At about 110 stars right now, and I have to say that being able to get some from boost challenges sure would be nice. Can't believe I had to leave my WiiU for the duration of the week, only to come back and find the patch STILL isn't live.

Edit: Umm... I just tried doing the Burning Rangers sprint right before the 165 star character unlock on the WiiU version and... I start in a boat and can't move... and then it plays a "off course" thing and I spawn with my boat flying through the air for about 5 seconds until it hits an unpassable wall. The patch will fix this glitch when it comes out, right? Also, is there any work around for this, or is my progression forward just completely halted?

Smilax

Edit: Umm... I just tried doing the Burning Rangers sprint right before the 165 star character unlock on the WiiU version and... I start in a boat and can't move... and then it plays a "off course" thing and I spawn with my boat flying through the air for about 5 seconds until it hits an unpassable wall. The patch will fix this glitch when it comes out, right? Also, is there any work around for this, or is my progression forward just completely halted?

We want to believe the patch will fix that problem. Also, there is no way around it. Some have tried but there is not way. I'm currently there as well, so I just decided to wait and do some missions on S.

Also, does anyone here host any rooms for the Wii U for online racing... and is this even possible? :p

Coxy

Just managed to clear the S rank boost race on the Super Monkeyball track, man that was fun, the little obstacle course of statues at the end was so evil but so satisfying when I swerved though them

I have a friend who's getting the Wii U version; what causes the Boot Race glitch? Is it the Wii U patch itself, or a game update when you first start the game?

I came here to ask this since I am downloading the game right now.

How do I avoid the update and get pass this stage first, I heard it is the update that causes the issue?

Backflip

are you remembering to do a lap without using a boost first so you can use the boost just as you go across the line to start the next lap?

Yes, it's what I do each and every time. It's weird because, I manage to stay in the lead for more than half the race and the ghost gets a boost out of nowhere.

Kokonoe

Banned
I just can't seem to beat the expert ghosts. I'm always less than a second behind, it's so aggravating.

I can't even beat most medium ghosts, so I share your feelings. I still don't quite understand the start up boost thing so I think I'm only getting a little boost.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
I can't even beat most medium ghosts, so I share your feelings. I still don't quite understand the start up boost thing so I think I'm only getting a little boost.
Press accelerate when the screen fades after the announcer says ready, so just before 3.

TheOGB

Banned
Don't all time trials have boost starts?

Here's a strategy. In general, the first lap or two of your time trial should be a practice run. Get used to the track, get your route and tricks and such figured out, experiment a bit if you need to. Once you've got a bit of muscle memory (by the end of the first or second lap), use your allocated boost just before the finish/start line and get to it. I personally recommend going through that first "for realz" run without using your boost (saving it for the start boost like you did before), then use it once you find a good spot in your run to shave off a sec.

You can almost think of it like a movie shoot. Practice, take 1, take 2, etc. if necessary. :p

Also, as was explained to me many pages back, press accelerate to the timing of the 3-2-1 countdown to get the full boost start.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Got the Wii U version today. There was a patch online, but I don't know if that was a new one (version is now 1.1.1).
Anyway, played two players (with one player on the GamePad). Why do the announcement for the GamePad player (like what items he received, etc.) come from the TV and not the GamePad? Seems a bit stupid.

Got the Wii U version today. There was a patch online, but I don't know if that was a new one (version is now 1.1.1).
Anyway, played two players (with one player on the GamePad). Why do the announcement for the GamePad player (like what items he received, etc.) come from the TV and not the GamePad? Seems a bit stupid.

are you in Europe or US? Europe has the good patch last I read.

I am in the US I want to know if this has been fixed yet

Backflip

Don't all time trials have boost starts?

Here's a strategy. In general, the first lap or two of your time trial should be a practice run. Get used to the track, get your route and tricks and such figured out, experiment a bit if you need to. Once you've got a bit of muscle memory (by the end of the first or second lap), use your allocated boost just before the finish/start line and get to it. I personally recommend going through that first "for realz" run without using your boost (saving it for the start boost like you did before), then use it once you find a good spot in your run to shave off a sec.

You can almost think of it like a movie shoot. Practice, take 1, take 2, etc. if necessary. :p

Also, as was explained to me many pages back, press accelerate to the timing of the 3-2-1 countdown to get the full boost start.

That's the strategy I use. But even then, I have a hard time crossing the finish line in front of the ghost.

Tizoc

PC/Steam release'll prob. be during Early 2013. SEGA must've wanted to avoid the Autumn and December sales...and maybe based off the current positive response it's getting atm build up interest for the PC release.
If it's being sold for $30, I'll nab it off Steam~

Yeah, I'm done with World Tour and Grand Prix, and now I'm having a very hard time with Time Trials. The Yokozuna trophy is glitched and you'll get it as soon as you beat the Expert Ghost at Sunshine Tour Mirror...

I heard about that. It didn't unlock for me, and I've done all of the tracks up to Chilly Castle on both normal and mirror. But even if I did get the Yokozuna achievement that way, you have to beat all the ghosts to get the triple-star license, and there's an achievement for that too. So either way, I still can't get all the achievements, and nor can 99.99% of people who play this game. Again, I can't believe that this game has been out for two weeks, and only 29 people on the 360 have beat that ghost. That should tell Sumo that their ghost is just way too hard.

And of course, the worst thing is that you'd need to beat it TWICE; once for regular, and again for mirror.

The online matchmaking in this is unplayable. Let us open up our custom games to randoms, so we can bypass it entirely. Then we can host our own games instead of playing on the crappy designated matchmaking servers, play the race/battle modes we want, not get kicked off every other game, not finish in first and be told we finished in last, and not get rammed to stop every time we even clip another racer.

It's bad enough I've hit a brick wall in single-player; online is the only reason I have to continue playing, but it's currently broken.

I adored this game for the first week (it was my GotY); I'm just trying desperately to hold onto that. But it's now got to a point where I can't play it without it pissing me off. The online in the previous game was MUCH better.

Is there anyway to match make with friends, or join a friend whos in matchmaking.

Yeah, you can join a matchmaking game, and invite friends, or open their profile and select "Join session in progess" (in the 360 version; I don't know about PS3/Wii U). But matchmaking is terrible, as it's plagued with networking problems that completely break the game.

Custom games are fine, as they're hosted locally, and I haven't had any problems so far (also, you can all agree on what mode/track you want to play). But you can't open a custom game up to random people; you have to manually send invites. So if you don't know enough people to fill a lobby, you're stuck playing with a bunch of bots.

Oh, and let's not forget that by being forced to play in matchmaking lobbies, nobody has the option of kicking somebody who's being an ass. I'm sick of playing against screaming kids/people blaring music in the background. And because the game doesn't highlight who's talking, I can't even determine who it is.

If they allowed us to open up custom games to random people, and implemented a "Search for game" feature (which is standard practice these days, and really has no reason to be absent) to allow random people to search for custom games, then I wouldn't care if they never fixed matchmaking, as I'd no longer have a reason to play it.

just tried the demo on PS3... well coming off Mario Kart 7, this felt really awkward at first, kinda like "on rails" maybe that's the wrong term, it felt like there was no real contact with the road, no "grip" so to speak like in MK... Feels like the tires are made of clouds or something lol...

Then i kept playing though and as i got used a little more the controls i did better and the one track i saw (panzer dragoon) was looking pretty neat! Tons of hidden pathways and vistas, love it! I suppose the track design, world and vistas are the actual reason for me to get this game once it hits Steam!

Besides that, one more negative though: the frame rate!!! As mentioned before, this really throws me off a little and 60 FPS would do wonders for this game!

Question: Did the first game on PC ever have a faster frame rate than it's counterparts on consoles? If so there's hope hmmm...

Boogiepop

Anyone have any tips for sprints? I just... can't do them at all. Maybe if the damn item boxes gave items instead of, you know, nothing, it'd be doable. But not, one boost per lap is all you get. Bleh.

Also, the Curien Mansion drift challenge just doesn't seem possible. If you follow the path on the... third area, I think (the one with the moon bounce) you end up swerving AROUND the checkpoint and don't get the time. And then on top of that the jump before the next one likes to vault you over half the next drift area! Any tips?

Bulk_Rate

just tried the demo on PS3... well coming off Mario Kart 7, this felt really awkward at first, kinda like "on rails" maybe that's the wrong term, it felt like there was no real contact with the road, no "grip" so to speak like in MK... Feels like the tires are made of clouds or something lol...

Then i kept playing though and as i got used a little more the controls i did better and the one track i saw (panzer dragoon) was looking pretty neat! Tons of hidden pathways and vistas, love it! I suppose the track design, world and vistas are the actual reason for me to get this game once it hits Steam!

Besides that, one more negative though: the frame rate!!! As mentioned before, this really throws me off a little and 60 FPS would do wonders for this game!

Question: Did the first game on PC ever have a faster frame rate than it's counterparts on consoles? If so there's hope hmmm...

First one ran 60fps on my wimpy PC (E8400+HD6850) PC but with some annoying stuttering down to low FPS as assets loaded. Looked great too.

I grabbed the demo from the EU store (I'm in NA) and really dig it. I can deal with the framerate but the colors seem to be missing some of the "pop" I expected. The sliding-to-boost mechanic seems great. I just managed to beat B-class on the Boost Challenge and found the challenge pleasantly addictive. Plus my kids have officially added it to their Xmas list after playing the demo.

olimpia84

I'm mostly done playing Grand Prix even though I still need to beat a few of the mirrored circuits. I want to jump into World mode but I'm stuck in the boost challenge. Hurry up Nintendo and certify the damn patch.

Top Bottom