• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

TreIII

Andrex said:
Yeah but pushing up on the control stick would get old.

Tru dat. But imagine, for the sake of the argument, that it WASN'T the case this time?

....Could that imply that, at long last, they may FINALLY give us a 3D Sonic game that actually does more to be a platformer, and not just "push forward/right and run like hell"? Would it be more like the games of old, where there would be reason to slow down and explore levels fully in order to find all the goodies?

There would definitely be a cause for celebration on my end, if so much could come to pass. But I'm not about to commit to the Sonic cycle just yet... :lol

ivysaur12 said:
Katano:

* NiGHTS into Dreams (1996) — A-Life Programmer
* Christmas NiGHTS (1996) — Programmer
* Sonic 3D Blast (1996) — Special Stage Programmer
* Sonic Jam (1997) — Programmer
* Sonic Adventure (1999) — Main Programmer, Player Character Programmer, Lead Field Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (2002) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003) — Technical Support
* Sonic Heroes (2004) — Main Programmer, Player Programmer, Enemy Programmer
* Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Special Thanks
* Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007) — Technical Programmer
* Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008) — Special Thanks

Kishimoto was the lead designer on Secret Rings.

I'm... not impressed. =|

YIKES, NP DID say "quick", I'm terribly sorry for that, my mistake. :'(

It's after midnight where I am, that's probably why I missed that!

I removed that 2D note from my earlier post entirely, as now it's not exactly useful.

Teknoman

ivysaur12 said:
Katano:

* NiGHTS into Dreams (1996) — A-Life Programmer
* Christmas NiGHTS (1996) — Programmer
* Sonic 3D Blast (1996) — Special Stage Programmer
* Sonic Jam (1997) — Programmer
* Sonic Adventure (1999) — Main Programmer, Player Character Programmer, Lead Field Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (2002) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003) — Technical Support
* Sonic Heroes (2004) — Main Programmer, Player Programmer, Enemy Programmer
* Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Special Thanks
* Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007) — Technical Programmer
* Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008) — Special Thanks

Kishimoto was the lead designer on Secret Rings.

The Saturn 3d blast special stage? If so, that man is AWESOME.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8oOkQUkYVTo

Seriously. Man it would be awesome if we got special stages like that in Black Knight.

Also The 2.5D sections in Unleashed are still a decent length...I dunno where someone got 4 seconds from.

Teknoman

I need to stop watching 3d blast videos/ relaxing to the soundtrack...just makes me wish Richard Jaques would compose another Sonic soundtrack.

Raistlin

Zenith said:
it's like they're doing this intentionally.

They are.

The plan is to beat down their sacred franchises so much, that when the Dreamcast 2 comes out ... and all of the franchises are resurrected with amazing sequels ... people will be so rejoiceful that they won't be able to help themselves but purchase the console.

Believe

Onix said:
They are.

The plan is to beat down their sacred franchises so much, that when the Dreamcast 2 comes out ... and all of the franchises are resurrected with amazing sequels ... people will be so rejoiceful that they won't be able to help themselves but purchase the console.

Believe
This is really the most tired meme on GAF

Onix said:
They are.

Believe
I think their going to wait till MS leaves and drags Sony out of the market with them before they step up again. 4 consoles is just. . . madness! 3 is pushing it. . .

So yeah. . .Sega system at some point in time, believe it!

. . . . Unless Nintendo buys them, guts the crap devs, trim the fat off and make them churn out 1-2 good Sonic games a gen.

Azure J

TreIII said:
Tru dat. But imagine, for the sake of the argument, that it WASN'T the case this time?

....Could that imply that, at long last, they may FINALLY give us a 3D Sonic game that actually does more to be a platformer, and not just "push forward/right and run like hell"? Would it be more like the games of old, where there would be reason to slow down and explore levels fully in order to find all the goodies?

There would definitely be a cause for celebration on my end, if so much could come to pass. But I'm not about to commit to the Sonic cycle just yet... :lol

As much as this would be fucking amazing... I would still be torn badly mainly because Sonic + Real World/Historic Places = That's No Good. I'd have to wait for a sequel using this one's engine where I could see my Green Hill Zones and embrace the surrealism of it all.

...not that I'm not secretly keeping an eye out on this one.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
onegoodlogan said:
The special stages in the Saturn version of 3D Blast were the best Sonic that entire generation.
Too bad the actual game was an abomination. But yeah, the bonus stages ruled. Mega Drive's bonus stages were great, too btw.

Teknoman said:
The Saturn 3d blast special stage? If so, that man is AWESOME.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8oOkQUkYVTo

Seriously. Man it would be awesome if we got special stages like that in Black Knight.

Also The 2.5D sections in Unleashed are still a decent length...I dunno where someone got 4 seconds from.

It depends on which version they're referring to, the Genesis, Saturn, and PC version special stages are each quite different. They are all impressive, though, particularly the Genesis and Saturn ones... both look fantastic for their platfoms. And I liked the game, too.

As for this, it could be good, we'll see. It's too early to tell...

Victrix

*beard*
Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Why is this thread so big?

Because some huge percentage of GAF actually wants to buy and love a new Sonic game

But Sega enjoys slapping them in the face with a spiked blue penis that transforms under the moonlight

Mithos Yggdrasill said:

It just goes to show how powerful this franchise still is. And the potential it still has.

What other series could have 10 straight years of mediocre to downright BAD games and still have this much fanfare?

People want this stuff to be good. There isn't much else out there for people looking for old-fashioned 'hop'n bop'-styled platformers.

Sciz

Mithos Yggdrasill said:
Because there aren't that many platformer series left in the first place, and Sega has a stranglehold on the high-speed twitch platformer niche on top of that. We've gotta get our fix somewhere. :(

SonicMegaDrive said:
It just goes to show how powerful this franchise still is. And the potential it still has.

What other series could have 10 straight years of mediocre to downright BAD games and still have this much fanfare?

People want this stuff to be good. There isn't much else out there for people looking for old-fashioned 'hop'n bop'-styled platformers.

I actually think this thread's so big because people love to mock the hell out of these asstastic decisions and laugh their asses off at Sonic and Sega in general since they've become the joke mascot of the whole industry

Teknoman

Anasui Kishibe said:
I actually think this thread's so big because people love to mock the hell out of these asstastic decisions and laugh their asses off at Sonic and Sega in general since they've become the joke mascot of the whole industry

Sonic maybe, Sega not so much. There arent many bad Sega games, they just cant seem to get a grip on console Sonic games.

Gagaman

Teknoman said:
Sonic maybe, Sega not so much. There arent many bad Sega games, they just cant seem to get a grip on console Sonic games.
Except people tend to forget that and class Sonic as the entirety of what Sega does. They do make more Sonic games now than ever before though, but come on..Samba De Amigo Wii!

A quick note:

They say that the game remains first and foremost about speed, and the swordplay is mixed with traditional Sonic platforming, so that may hint that it's not on-rails. On-rails isn't traditional Sonic platforming.

I added it to my earlier post.

Yaweee

Teknoman said:

I pretty much agree. Sega has gotten a worse reputation over the recent years than they deserve. Yes, the console Sonic games have been a series of misfires. Yes, they aren't bringing back old franchises in a way that pleases fans of the originals. However, most of their games haven't been all that bad.

I think the only reason I didn't give this game a second thought was because of the fact that Sonic Unleashed was already announced. Must we have another one announced before the other one is released? I heard it is going to have Sonic and a sword swinging mechanic to go threw walls. That doesn't sound like a bad idea. We'll see if it is 2D or 3D entirely though.

lopaz

Banned
Hero of legend said:
A quick note:

They say that the game remains first and foremost about speed, and the swordplay is mixed with traditional Sonic platforming, so that may hint that it's not on-rails. On-rails isn't traditional Sonic platforming.

I added it to my earlier post.

GOD F'IN DAMMIT

lopaz

Banned
Guybrush Threepwood said:
I know.

They don't fucking get it.

Seriously. My theory is that all game journalists grew up with SNES and believed lying propaganda from Nintendo Power or whatever that all Sonic involved was holding right and winning and never played sonic themselves. So then when they interview Sonic developers they're all like "Hey our readers want sonic to go back to his roots... so how FAST will he be going?"

*ahem*

Anyway. How do they think that people dislike the 3D games cause they were too slow? The games move at a million miles and hour and that's half the damn problem!

bdouble

lopaz said:
Seriously. My theory is that all game journalists grew up with SNES and believed lying propaganda from Nintendo Power or whatever that all Sonic involved was holding right and winning and never played sonic themselves. So then when they interview Sonic developers they're all like "Hey our readers want sonic to go back to his roots... so how FAST will he be going?"

*ahem*

Anyway. How do they think that people dislike the 3D games cause they were too slow? The games move at a million miles and hour and that's half the damn problem!

Yep. I played the hell out of the Gamegear Sonics. It was all about trying to find the coolest way to the end. There was always some path you could see and had to try and get too without stopping. That is what they are missing in these games.

lopaz said:

The funny thing is that 2D Mario games are more about holding right than 2D Sonic games are.

stewacide

If Rings was 'on rails' then on rails is what 3D Sonic games need to be.

Unleashed looks no less on rails than Rings was (which is good).

Anasui Kishibe said:

People don't love to mock Sonic and Sega, per se. They deserve every bit of shit they receive, mind you.

But the majority of the people mocking Sega are the same people who WANT them to be good again. They want a good Sonic game, and they want Sega to succeed. That's why it's amazing that people still take such interest in this stuff.

Teknoman

stewacide said:
If Rings was 'on rails' then on rails is what 3D Sonic games need to be.

Unleashed looks no less on rails than Rings was (which is good).

Its not really on rails though. The 3d behind back sections are narrow, but he doesnt constantly go forward, you still have to push the analog stick in the direction you want to go (forward, left, or right). Probably even being able to turn around since there are multiple paths that go off to the sides.

Only on rails sections are possibly when running from/after certain bosses, through loops, and when on those grind rails.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Teknoman said:
Its not really on rails though. The 3d behind back sections are narrow, but he doesnt constantly go forward, you still have to push the analog stick in the direction you want to go (forward, left, or right). Probably even being able to turn around since there are multiple paths that go off to the sides.
Are you talking about Unleashed or Rings?

Cos in Unleashed you just hit LB or RB to move during the 'speed' sections.

Teknoman

cjelly said:
Are you talking about Unleashed or Rings?

Cos in Unleashed you just hit LB or RB to move during the 'speed' sections.

Unleashed. The LB and RB are just to shift over really fast. Watch the gamespot stage demo, Sonic starts the Mykonos stage in 3d mode, however he isnt automatically running. The behind the back sections may remind you of Secret Rings, but watching the gameplay demo, they arent on rails...most of them anyway. More like the original Crash Bandicoot.

You can still move left or right with the analog, but to quickly avoid obstacles that in any other 3d Sonic you'd smash right into unless you timed a jump right, you can press LB or RB to do a quick shift when either running in the behind back mode or on rails.

http://www.gamespot.com/video/945571/6194260/videoplayerpop?

Notice the gradual tilting. You can still move left, right, forward, or backward with the analog, but if you're running TOO fast and are about to slam into a spike or bad guy, just use the shoulder buttons to quick shift out of the way instead of moving or jumping.

As for the on screen cues, those seem to happen for every normal control function, probably some sort of easy or tutorial mode. The only QTE events are when a series of buttons appear on the screen.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
SonicIntro.jpg

:D

Nocebo

Scans look decent. Should have been a different IP tho, why the hell would sonic need to carry around a sword? That's not how he rolls.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom