• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Also if there are going to be some old Sonic favorites, I demand a remix of Volcano Valley (saturn version) and Green Grove or Rusty Ruins (saturn versions as well).

And while we're on the subject of remixes, if Chronicles turns out good...I hope the final boss battle is a remix of Sonic 3 & Knuckle's Final boss/ S&K's Super Metal Sonic theme.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUhU8SjOY4U

Fun fact: I must've flipped out when I saw Metal Sonic backdash to the Master Emerald and transform :lol

vareon

cv0048.jpg

http://www.castle-vidcons.com/2008/07/22/comic-48-some-type-of-vermin/
Say it together with me : awesome.

Alex P

Glad you guys like the comic, but I'd really appreciate it if, when hotlinking (which doesn't bother me tremendously), you'd also link to the page itself. Thanks! :D

esbern

Alex P said:
Glad you guys like the comic, but I'd really appreciate it if, when hotlinking (which doesn't bother me tremendously), you'd also link to the page itself. Thanks! :D

waitwait you make these?

honestly, that shiva->bicycle thing is the best hing i've ever seen everf.

vareon

Alex P said:

Oops, sorry. I added the link to your page now.

Sciz

markatisu said:
I hope its more movies (Blur Studio, the company Sega outsources their CG to, makes some pretty good CGI) than storyboard,
Fixed.

And :lol as usual at CV. I guess Sonic can hang out with Banjo and Kazooie as part of the animals on the run from Lord Wii.

Teknoman

Would be nice if this game's soundtrack along with Unleashed and Chronicles had that classic Saturn-Dreamcast esque sound. Similar to stuff we heard in Guardian Heroes, Nights, Sonic 3d Blast, Daytona USA 2001, Fighters Megamix/Virtua Fighter 3, and Sonic Adventure 1. I dunno how else to explain it, but it just seemed the games on those two systems always had fresh, catchy, cool music.

A few sega games have captured that feel recently (Sonic 06, a few Secret Rings stages, that rainy city stage in VF 5, and some stages in Nights journey of dreams) though.

EDIT: Oh and the Christmas NiGHTS Gillwing remix. That was cool.

Someone should put together a Sega first party title soundtrack appreciation topic. Theres already a Sonic one, but there should be one spanning all of Sega's audio achievements. You know you want to.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Alex P said:

He posts here too?!

GAF > Internet > GAF

Sciz

Teknoman said:
Someone should put together a Sega first party title soundtrack appreciation topic. Theres already a Sonic one, but there should be one spanning all of Sega's audio achievements. You know you want to.
Not that I don't support the sentiment, but the only other series I could come nearly as close to covering comprehensively are Castlevania and Kirby.

omg rite said:
... So it'll be flawed, but still one of the best platformers of the generation?

I enjoyed a lot of other platformers way more than I ever enjoyed Mario Sunshine. Bleugh. Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, even Klonoa 2.

Sunshine felt way too processed and over-polished. Like they were trying too hard to make a good game and lost a lot of personality and character in the process.

Blueblur1

Teknoman said:
Also if there are going to be some old Sonic favorites, I demand a remix of Volcano Valley (saturn version) and Green Grove or Rusty Ruins (saturn versions as well).

And while we're on the subject of remixes, if Chronicles turns out good...I hope the final boss battle is a remix of Sonic 3 & Knuckle's Final boss/ S&K's Super Metal Sonic theme.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XUhU8SjOY4U

Fun fact: I must've flipped out when I saw Metal Sonic backdash to the Master Emerald and transform :lol
Interesting. I may still give that game a chance.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sega1991 said:
I enjoyed a lot of other platformers way more than I ever enjoyed Mario Sunshine. Bleugh. Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, even Klonoa 2.

Sunshine felt way too processed and over-polished. Like they were trying too hard to make a good game and lost a lot of personality and character in the process.

You say even Klonoa 2 like is wasnt the best platformer of last gen by far

I wonder when Sega will release some direct feed screens and a trailer for this. . .

They made sure that NP had the story first and now the cats out of the bag. . . so come on Sega. =/

HK-47 said:
You say even Klonoa 2 like is wasnt the best platformer of last gen by far

It wasn't. It was good, mind you. But I'm hesitant to call it the best. Maybe it's because whenever I think about Klonoa 2, my inner monologue keeps screaming "IT'S INFERIOR TO THE ORIGINAL KLONOA RARRARRGHH".

Holy Order Sol said:
That... doesn't make sense.

It totally does. A person's character and personality is defined by their imperfections. Mario Sunshine felt like it was trying so hard to follow the "Shigeru Miyamoto's Guide to Game Design" handbook that it forgot to be itself. It felt over processed, over thought, and a little bit rushed. Everything about Sunshine, in terms of the game's personality, style, and feeling, is defined, to me, as being "flat". Uninteresting.

You've never had that happen before? Where you think about finding a solution to something so much and for so long that you end up forgetting what the problem you were trying to solve was? That's what I feel happened to Super Mario Sunshine. They were thinking so hard about how to make a Mario 64 sequel that they forgot how to make it game. Instead, we get something that pantomimes elements of Mario 64 while having a few really weird design decisions and the most boring "style" out of any Mario game.

Blueblur1

Sunshine really limited itself in terms of themes, settings and gameplay. The FLUDD restricted the game to being about one thing: spraying water everywhere. The platforming was really underwhelming in the standard stages and in the end it was a tiny game (I recall that it only has 9 regular stages).

The best received bits of Sunshine where the platforming mini-stages where you didn't have the FLUDD. That's where Mario really shines and further proof of that is Galaxy's amazing platforming where they took one theme (gravity/space) and went to town with it (in a good way).

Everyone!

I have scans of all the pages of the article, but not the issue itself, I'm not a subscriber (dammit I should be).

I've found some extra, small tidbits that may be of interest:

- Tetsu Katano is the Director this time. Not sure what he's done before. He was the one who thought it was a good idea to give Sonic a sword. I'm offering dart boards with his name on it, free of charge! :D Yojiro Ogawa, director of Secret Rings, asked him to come up with the idea of the next game (this being it of course).

- Morio Kishimoto is the Lead Designer.

- Kishimoto tried a lot of different controls, but settled on the one we know of, and Katano jokes about not having tried the Balance Board yet! XD

- It seems that townsfolk do appear in the stages themselves.

- It says that you purchase items from GRATEFUL residents, so that feature is unlocked by saving a specific person/people? I don't know.

- They say that the game remains first and foremost about speed, and the swordplay is mixed with traditional Sonic platforming, so that may hint that it's not on-rails. On-rails isn't traditional Sonic platforming.

- Neat! NP says that the demo they played ran silky smooth, and boasted incredible draw distances!

- Finally, there are 4 screens not shown on Gamekyo and Blue Blur, etc. They show impressive shots of the in-game level.

One shows a shot of the inside of the castle, in a dungeon tunnel, sewer-like area (there's a stream of water running through out the tunnel.

Another shows a shot of the front of the actual castle, with some nice color of green for the grass and trees in front of it.

A third one is a bit high up with some horizontal bridges (tiny ones) and with a waterfall to the right, and some plants!

The last shows a tall, straight stairway (it's viewed from the side) and it shows a large statue of a knight to the left of the stairway (it's close to the camera). In the distance from the right of the stairway, you can see more of nice green plant life.

That's all folks! ;) Hope this is good info!

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of legend said:
- Neat! NP says that the demo they played ran silky smooth!

60 FPS confirmed?

And if the 2D parts are indeed more "in-depth" than Sonic Unleashed (meaning longer than 4 seconds?) then maybe there will be a lot of crow to eat after all.

lopaz said:
Thankyew :)

Is it on rails?

NP said, and I quote:

"One of the big hooks in Sonic and the Secret Rings was that you would steer the Hedgehog by tilting the Wii remote. But because the remote is now used to wield a sword, SBK has you maneuvering your character the old-fashioned way: via the Control Stick."

They said nothing about it being on-rails or not, but it wouldn't be exactly innovative to use the control stick to move Sonic from left to right, so I highly assume it's a full-3D, off-rails platformer!

Andrex said:
60 FPS confirmed?

And if the 2D parts are indeed more "in-depth" than Sonic Unleashed (meaning longer than 4 seconds?) then maybe there will be a lot of crow to eat after all.

You misread! I said more in-depth than we think, not more than Unleashed!

lopaz

Banned
Hero of legend said:
NP said, and I quote:

"One of the big hooks in Sonic and the Secret Rings was that you would steer the Hedgehog by tilting the Wii remote. But because the remote is now used to wield a sword, SBK has you maneuvering your character the old-fashioned way: via the Control Stick."

They said nothing about it being on-rails or not, but it wouldn't be exactly innovative to use the control stick to move Sonic from left to right, so I highly assume it's a full-3D, off-rails platformer!

Thanks. That'd be cool if true. Srsly though why do previews etc so often miss key info like that?

ivysaur12

Banned
Hero of legend said:
- Tetsu Katano is the Director this time.

- Morio Kishimoto is the Lead Designer.

Katano:

* NiGHTS into Dreams (1996) — A-Life Programmer
* Christmas NiGHTS (1996) — Programmer
* Sonic 3D Blast (1996) — Special Stage Programmer
* Sonic Jam (1997) — Programmer
* Sonic Adventure (1999) — Main Programmer, Player Character Programmer, Lead Field Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (2002) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003) — Technical Support
* Sonic Heroes (2004) — Main Programmer, Player Programmer, Enemy Programmer
* Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Special Thanks
* Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007) — Technical Programmer
* Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008) — Special Thanks

Kishimoto was the lead designer on Secret Rings.

ivysaur12 said:
Katano:

* NiGHTS into Dreams (1996) — A-Life Programmer
* Christmas NiGHTS (1996) — Programmer
* Sonic 3D Blast (1996) — Special Stage Programmer
* Sonic Jam (1997) — Programmer
* Sonic Adventure (1999) — Main Programmer, Player Character Programmer, Lead Field Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2 (2001) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure 2: Battle (2002) — Main Progammer, Player Character Programmer
* Sonic Adventure DX: Director's Cut (2003) — Technical Support
* Sonic Heroes (2004) — Main Programmer, Player Programmer, Enemy Programmer
* Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) — Special Thanks
* Sonic and the Secret Rings (2007) — Technical Programmer
* Sonic Riders: Zero Gravity (2008) — Special Thanks

Kishimoto was the lead designer on Secret Rings.

Thanks a bunch for that list!

And I made a slight correction, it was Kishimoto that tried the different control schemes, not Katano, but Katano made that Balance Board joke. :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Hero of legend said:
NP said, and I quote:

Yeah but pushing up on the control stick would get old.

Hero of legend said:
You misread! I said more in-depth than we think, not more than Unleashed!

1. Lay off the exclamations. :p

2. More in-depth could mean anything, we don't know yet.

Andrex said:
1. Lay off the exclamations. :p

You're no fun. :p

2. More in-depth could mean anything, we don't know yet.

I only made that comment as the person who provided all that info before said the 2D sections were only "quick", but they didn't say "quick" if I read the article correctly.

I just wanted to make that correction. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom