• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Death_Born said:
Cycle...backwards?

Developers want to make game.....good?

Know past series....missteps?

IMPOSSIBLE! I predict that Calibur will be an annoying Navi-like entity that will make the game suck.

2ur8swp.gif

As far as shitty friends goes...im sure they'll just be something to add replay value since you dont have to beat the game with them or even play with them at all.

Also there better be some epic Volcano Valley Saturn version style track in there :D

Teknoman

Lavpa Jasai said:
Before you took that pic down...did anyone notice those little chao fairies?

Those are probably the little item things they were talking about. Maybe you have to press a dpad button to activate it?

RobbieNick

Just so I got this straight, we're not allowed to show scans that have already been showed on the net from another website (Albiet MSPainted)?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
This is really nice. Last March I flipped out on Sega, quite literally (don't make me post it), when the HD Unleashed screens leaked. I'm talking bomba. I was pissed they ignored the Secret Rings sales and advancements.

But this is a nice surprise. Hopefully we'll get one or two more of these games on the Wii before this gen is over. ^_^

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
RobbieNick said:
Just so I got this straight, we're not allowed to show scans that have already been shown on the net from another website (Albiet MSPainted)?

Yeah, you can't post magazine scans, period -- except for their covers and, apparently, the teaser on the last page of Nintendo Power.

That goes for scans of magazines from the United States, Japan, Europe, Middle Earth, Alpha Centauri -- wherever.

Teknoman

Lavpa Jasai said:
I was hoping for the return of chaos

mini_chao002.jpg

Im sure chao will be involved in the game, especially since the items seem to be shaped like em. Possibly as merchants but not as lil guys you can raise.

Scans from other planes of existence should be exempt.

Azure J

Death_Born said:
Cycle...backwards?

Developers want to make game.....good?

Know past series....missteps?

Looks like the entire internet and myself will have some serious crow eating to do if things continue down this path. :lol

Teknoman

AzureJericho said:
Looks like the entire internet and myself will have some serious crow eating to do if things continue down this path. :lol

If this, Unleashed, and Chronicles at least score 7's or higher...I say crow buffet for all.

Though im still hoping all 3 at least achieve 8.something status from critics.

AzureJericho said:

Ya see, this is why I stay cool.

Trusted my gut on some of newly revealed Wii games (CV Wii) and they all look cool to me atleast now that I can see direct feed screens and vids.:D

Looking forward to this.

So yeah, I saw the scans. First of all I'm glad that it's not first person.

Second of all the fact that you can actually control Sonic means it will be better than Sonic Unleashed.

Guybrush Threepwood said:
So yeah, I saw the scans. First of all I'm glad that it's not first person.

Second of all the fact that you can actually control Sonic means it will be better than Sonic Unleased.
Que?

Is there something odd about Unleashed controls?

Or are you refering to the roller-coster-ride-like Gameplay?

Guybrush Threepwood said:

Yeah. . .I don't like that either. More like a long CG button command plateformer than anything else from the vids I have seen.

Good thing Dimps is on the Wii version. . . controls are said to be different plus we already know how good their level design looks.

Teknoman

Black-Wind said:
Yeah. . .I don't like that either. More like a long CG button command plateformer than anything else from the vids I have seen.

Good thing Dimps is on the Wii version. . . controls are said to be different plus we already know how good their level design looks.

Well most of the button commands show in the unleashed videos are just normal commands in game. The B button slide attack is just Sonic crouching while running. Im guessing those are some sort of tutorial commands that you'll probably be able to turn off in the retail version. The QTE sequence with the timing meter though, thats exactly what it looks like.

Of course with Dimps doing Unleashed Wii and PS2 versions, does that mean a new Rush wont be showing up anytime soon?

Thabass

Oh wait, didn't you guys here. Sega is a gimmick in itself now. They take Sonic and place him in a shitty gimmick and then wait to see the fans reaction and laugh at them for hoping that a great Sonic game will come out.

It's the greatest heel gimmick in video games today. Even better than EA's buying everyone and everything.

Teknoman

Thabass said:
Oh wait, didn't you guys here. Sega is a gimmick in itself now. They take Sonic and place him in a shitty gimmick and then wait to see the fans reaction and laugh at them for hoping that a great Sonic game will come out.

It's the greatest heel gimmick in video games today. Even better than EA's buying everyone and everything.

Lets not be to hasty here.

jrricky

Banned
Aaron Strife said:
-Developed by the same people as Sonic and the Secret Rings

-”This time, a sorceress named Merlina summons Sonic to the mythical realm of King Arthur, but it seems the fabled monarch has somehow been corrupted and now rules the land as the tyranical Black Knight.”

-Uses a similar storybook device as Secret Rings

-”As Sonic runs along, a simple flick of the Wii remote will execute a basic slash, which is enough to dispatch most low-level grunts.”

-More advanced swordplay consists of the ability to thrust, parry, and even pull off a buzz-saw maneuver midjump.

-”During out demo, we saw the hedgehog leap from a high precipice, then thrust the blade into a wall to slow his decent, sparks flying impressivly as steel cut through brick”

-”Combat is integrated in such a way that most of the time you can slice through any who stand in your path without even slowing down”

-Sonic is controlled with the Control Stick.

-”Our hero begins his quest as a mere knave. Only by becoming a full-fledged knight will he have any hope of defeating King Arthur.”

-”his sword, a talking blade named Calibur, serves as a mentor”

-If you help civilian townfolk in need of assistance, you’ll earn points toward knighthood. If you smite one of those civilians, your reputation will take a hit.

-”At the end of each stage, the game tallies your good and not-so-good deeds and updates your rank accordingly.

-You can purchase items from residents. “Sonic can aquire everything from gauntlets to magical tomes to new swords, and when equipped, each article bestows him with a unique benefit.”

-About 200 items in all, with some being able to be combined with others to make new ones.

-You have the option to go online and trade items with friends.

-Rings come in burlap sacks instead of monitors.

-Sonic uses magic elementals to help him do various things, such as a bounce pad or a speed boost. They look like chao heads. The red ones give him a jump and the blue give Sonic a speed boost.

-Sonic can cross large gaps by firing a ballista and grinding the rope to the other side.

-”On the audio side, veteran composer Jen Senoue is taking a smiliar approach, injecting familiar Sonic themes with a Celtic flavor.”

-”Each stage has multiple branching paths and searching for townsfolk and treasure chests provides an element of exploration that recalls Sonic’s early Genesis days.”

-”the camera will occasionally pan to a side-scrolling perspective for a quick dose of classic 2-D action”

-SBK Bringing back the skill system from Secret Rings, but they’re trying not to have the skill system interfere with the game’s tempo this time around.

-The mission structure also returns but the developers hope to make it less arduous.

-”And there will be no dinosaur eggs!”

-”Just as they subbed in for such characters as Ali Baba and Aladdin in Sonic and the Secret Rings, a number of familiar faces will assume Arthurian personas in SBK.”

-Other characters beside Sonic are playable, but it is entirely optional to play as them.

-Knuckles, who can hold two swords at once, and Shadow have been confirmed so far.

-A new special guage will “bestow him with similarly impressive powers. The meter fills gradually whenever Sonic vanquishes an enemy or snags a purple elemental, and when it reaches a certain point you can unleash a powerful combination attack capable of tearing through multiple foes in quick succession.”

-The team knows of the faults of the recent series and are hoping to fix it with this game.

Source: http://www.blueblur.org/2008/07/21/sonic-and-the-black-knight-nintendo-power-details/
WOW. SOLD. I loved secret rings.

Teknoman said:
Well most of the button commands show in the unleashed videos are just normal commands in game. The B button slide attack is just Sonic crouching while running. Im guessing those are some sort of tutorial commands that you'll probably be able to turn off in the retail version. The QTE sequence with the timing meter though, thats exactly what it looks like.

Of course with Dimps doing Unleashed Wii and PS2 versions, does that mean a new Rush wont be showing up anytime soon?

Yeah, but some of the things in that trailer looked way too fast to do without on-screen help. . .I don't even know wth was happening at the part where Sonic had to do some crap load of fast turns.

Seems like they are focusing too much on blinding speed. . . .seems like speed and new friends are what Sega is relying on to carry the series and they shouldn't.

We all get that Sonic's thing is speed. . . but there is a such thing as too much of a good thing. Level design and other basic features should be focused on first so that they can drop this roller-coster-ride gameplay. Thats why I like Dimps, they seem to get that.

And speaking of Sonic Rush. . .. I hope Blaze is one of the friends you can play as.:D

Gagaman

Nunchuck Control: That's good!

Another excuse for a character to babble about the bloody obvious throughout the entire level: That's bad!
(Just give me a "shut up annoying voices" option already!)
If that "classic 2D action" isn't just slowly shifting along wall edges like in SatSC: That's good!
Oh god, they used that "back to his roots" quote again. It won't be! If they were they would be about gaining momentum by rolling on hills, not searching for townsfolk.

All in all sounds like an improvement on SatSC in places though, which is always a good thing, and the screenshots look better than the Unleashed ones we;ve seen for Wii so far.

AniHawk

The problem with Secret Rings was that there were too many missions that weren't very good, yet there were enough that the game could've been an old school Genesis game in 3D since there were different paths for some of the goals (don't get hit/die). It seemed like Sonic Unleash was headed in the right direction... but then hedgehogwolf sonic. And this one sounds even less like SATSR.

I really hated the controls of Sonic and the Secret Rings though. Maybe it was just me being an idiot, but I found something as simple as estimating a jump was much more difficult than it would be with a stick. So I'm glad they're switching back to it.

It's also a new Sonic game, which means it's going to take a lot more positive impressions than Nintendo Power to convince me it'll be good, but I know I'll end up buying the two Unleashed games and this :(

Gagaman said:
Nunchuck Control: That's good!

Another excuse for a character to babble about the bloody obvious throughout the entire level: That's bad!
(Just give me a "shut up annoying voices" option already!)
If that "classic 2D action" isn't just slowly shifting along wall edges like in SatSC: That's good!
Oh god, they used that "back to his roots" quote again. It won't be! If they were they would be about gaining momentum by rolling on hills, not searching for townsfolk.

All in all sounds like an improvement on SatSC in places though, which is always a good thing, and the screenshots look better than the Unleashed ones we;ve seen for Wii so far.
Get some good speed and start sliding right before you get to a wall shuffle section and he will slide across the ledge instead of shuffling as long as you dont let the button go...it looks so nice and moves much, much faster.

ShockingAlberto said:
I liked Sonic Wii's controls. It's not like Sonic is particularly precise with an analog stick, anyway.

It was the whole speed up/slow down thing I didn't like. Moving from side to side was fine.

Gagaman

abstract alien said:
Get some good speed and start sliding right before you get to a wall shuffle section and he will slide across the ledge instead of shuffling as long as you dont let the button go...it looks so nice and moves much, much faster.
I don;'t actually own the game anymore as it eventually drove me around the bend, but it's really cheap now so I might rebuy it at some point and maybe download a complete save file to an SD card so I can actually enjoy it.

AFreak

Banned
Nose Master said:
You're not getting me this time, Sega. Not this god damn time. I'll get hyped when it gets good reviews.

Agreed. I thought Sonic and the Shitty Rings was worse than the PS3 version. I mean honestly, who thought it was a good idea to make me thrust the controller forward or upwards to jump/dash. I'm so sorry I thought pressing A would suffice.

TheGreatDave said:
It was the whole speed up/slow down thing I didn't like. Moving from side to side was fine.
True enough, but that can be designed around. Secret Rings forced you to back up for really retarded reasons.

I think this game is taking everything I liked about Secret Rings and changing it while taking everything I hated about Secret Rings and either retaining or promising to improve it (which they won't).

AFreak said:
Agreed. I thought Sonic and the Shitty Rings was worse than the PS3 version. I mean honestly, who thought it was a good idea to make me thrust the controller forward or upwards to jump/dash. I'm so sorry I thought pressing A would suffice.

You hold 2 and release to jump. You do homing attacksby thrusting the remote forwards, which feels awesome.

TheGreatDave said:
It was the whole speed up/slow down thing I didn't like. Moving from side to side was fine

Moving backwards. Now that sucked ass.

Gagaman said:
I don;'t actually own the game anymore as it eventually drove me around the bend, but it's really cheap now so I might rebuy it at some point and maybe download a complete save file to an SD card so I can actually enjoy it.
Yeah, the fully upgraded sonic was so much more enjoyable. The trick also works better when he is upgraded, since he doesnt lose speed once he starts sliding.

Teknoman

AFreak said:

You press 2 to jump.

Also the whole "shitty rings" thing is getting old.

AFreak said:
You can hate waggle all you want, but you're honestly saying it's worse than what is widely considered to be the worst game of the generation?

AFreak

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
You can hate waggle all you want, but you're honestly saying it's worse than what is widely considered to be the worst game of the generation?

I thought that was Bomberman Zero or the Gundam launch title for PS3.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
So they confirmed BOTH the talking sword and the Arthurian setting.
I guess the one who first predicted them in this thread should feel satisfacted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom