• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic and the Black Knight (Wii) revealed in new Nintendo Power

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't there someone that proved that this:
10qfej7.jpg

was part of Mickey's ear from some KH image?

I'm pretty sure I remember seing the full image with that ear here on GAF.

Sciz

Yes, the curve and shading more or less matched up with Mickey. You could also likely make it match any given part of Uekawa's Sonic art.

Perdew

Metalmurphy said:
Yeah but I'm pretty sure I saw a KH picture here on GAF that had the exact same shape, colour, shade, etc...

Yeah but it's a circle...

No further need for speculation; the game is Sword Sonic.

Mr. Smith

just saw the scans, damm how bad can a sonic game be. the visuals arent even good and the setting is so stupid and im not even going to talk about the freaking sword. this is born to be bad, really bad. :lol :lol :lol

Mr. Smith said:
just saw the scans, damm how bad can a sonic game be. the visuals arent even good and the setting is so stupid and im not even going to talk about the freaking sword. this is born to be bad, really bad. :lol :lol :lol

Compared to what?

Flakster99

Mr. Smith said:

I'm quite excited to see this one come together, therefore, I disagree mon amie.

farnham

Banned
Mr. Smith said:
seriously im more excited to see this game then that abomination that is sonic the werehog

farnham said:
seriously im more excited to see this game then that abomination that is sonic the werehog

it just sounds pathetic reading it

how the hell does Sonic Team think these ideas are even remotely clever?

wrowa

Mr. Smith said:
The team behind Black Knight made the only Sonic game which was at least "above average" of the last five years. I strongly doubt that this game will be "bad" or "really bad".

wrowa said:
The team behind Black Knight made the only Sonic game which was at least "above average" of the last five years. I strongly doubt that this game will be "bad" or "really bad".

Lets not forget that they somehow did that with lil money and time (clearly seen in there being only like 3 real cut scenes. . .everything else was cheap story boards).

Im pretty sure that, just like with Unleashed, they are being given a good amount of time and money now (I want actual cut scenes now, Sega!).

I mean, I don't remember Sega EVER saying that SaTSR was "the start of a Wii Only Story Book line". . . they largely just said "yeah. . . we chose to do it well porting the 06 title sooo. . .yeah. . .". So Im pretty sure these guys are getting the backing they need with both time and money now that Sega seems to be behind them.

Can't wait to see a trailer! (Odd. . .I wouldn't expect a biggy 3rd party like sega to NOT show some direct feed screens or a trailer for a Sonic title after its been confirmed.)

hokahey

Mr. Smith said:

I was actually pretty impressed with the scans. Say what you will about the style of the game, but graphically it looks fine.

Mr. Smith said:

What's wrong with the visuals?

Teknoman

Well scans and all that. We dont have any official shots yet. And the screens for Sonic and the Secret Rings werent all that great in its NP reveal either.

Blueblur1 said:
They look plain, boring and like last-gen. Maybe worse.

. . .Your basing this on scans taken from down sized mag's page picture.

And those pics STILL look pretty hot to me.

Maybe we should, ya know, wait for Direct Feed screens and a moving trailer?

I mean, the scan of the cover looks farely crappy compared to the actual direct feed cover.
http://www.gamekyo.com/Webmasters/Images/72891520080722_032646_0_big.jpg
http://www.daviddino.com/sonicsword.jpg

Put them side to side with your windows. The scan looks washed out a crappy compared to the kick ass direct feed cover.

Yaweee

The game actually looks pretty good. Though I wouldn't get my hopes up for it being great, it will probably be an enjoyable action-platformer.

D-X

I can't wait for the badly voiced English NPCS from the middle-ages and their over-use of the words "ye", "thou" and "art".

D-X said:
I can't wait for the badly voiced English NPCS from the middle-ages and their over-use of the words "ye", "thou" and "art".

My friend, the English VA will be really bad anyways (4Kids), huzzah for the Japanese voice option!

Teknoman

Hero of legend said:
My friend, the English VA will be really bad anyways (4Kids), huzzah for the Japanese voice option!

isnt 4kids VA deal up? I thought Secret Rings was the last 4kids based game VA?

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
sonicspear64 said:
Goddammit it's mon ami! >:O

Goddammit if he assumed the recipient was female then it would have been mon amie, due to the vowel following the possesive.

Oh wait, no girls in the internetz. Carry on.

Teknoman said:
isnt 4kids VA deal up? I thought Secret Rings was the last 4kids based game VA?

Sadly no, that was said by a Sega representative back in Oct 2006 I believe, and he said that afterwards Sega would have no reason to use 4Kids, but of course, they kept them anyways.

There was a rumor that the contract was to expire back in April or May, but someone called member of Sega of America, who told them that first; they are FULLY aware of the massive backlash against 4Kids, and second; there's no real contract.

What will happen in the future, I wish I knew.

Point is, I've stopped hoping that 4Kids will magically leave the Sonic series.

And yet, Ryan Drummond (Sonic's previous VA), is appearing for the second year in a row at SAGE 2008, a big Sonic fan event, and will be doing a chat session.

No one from 4Kids ever participated at SAGE before.

Sad, that the man who played Sonic before, and is far preferred over Jason Griffith (Sonic's current VA), loved his role to bits, AND goes to Sonic fan events to chat with the Sonic fan community, can't voice the character he cares for!

Sad world indeed. :'(

Mr. Smith

the only thing looking good in the screens is sonic, the rest look, how should i say it, greyish. there are no colors besids grey, and dont say its because of the medievel setting. also the artdirection is so boring, nothing to shine out. if it stays the way it is, this will be the mario sunshine of sonic games, one theme only.

CrisKre

I disagree with people saying this looks bad. This actually loks like a great improvement over SATSR. The environments look more complex, the character model is great and the effects seem more refined. Im actually pleasantly surprised. Wii games are starting to look better.

I hope you're able to have Sonic go about without equipment, even if he doesn't have any homing attack or such.

So far, I'm wondering if he even has his traditional attacks.

If he can't remove all of his equipment completely, I'd love for Sega to at least add in the option, since he is able to change equipment in the first place, he should at least have the option to have nothing, not even the glove.

I'd take that option, even if they didn't give him his traditional attacks, just to at least have the choice of him running around looking like his normal self... even if he's defenseless. Just make sure you've beaten all the enemies around you, or just run around in the hub world (why would there be regular, innocent people in the stages themselves?).

I'd love that! Obviously I'd love to also have him do his regular attacks while weaponless, but I admit it defeats the purpose of the weapons in the first place, at least him being defenseless forces people to attack enemies with the weapons.

Depends on what Sega wants to do, but I'm sure EVERYONE would appreciate the option to at least go equipment-less, even with the price of being defenseless.

Thoughts?

Sciz

If they insist on having swordplay all the time, they could still have a "gear-free" Sonic by replacing the sword with Sonic Wind or some variant (though chaos powers are really more Shadow's style).

As for VAs, the 4Kids set is on the whole as terrible as the original crew.

Regulus Tera said:
Goddammit if he assumed the recipient was female then it would have been mon amie, due to the vowel following the possesive.

Oh wait, no girls in the internetz. Carry on.

Considering the quoted poster was "Mr. Smith," I find that argument faulty.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Mr. Smith said:
the only thing looking good in the screens is sonic, the rest look, how should i say it, greyish. there are no colors besids grey, and dont say its because of the medievel setting. also the artdirection is so boring, nothing to shine out. if it stays the way it is, this will be the mario sunshine of sonic games, one theme only.

... So it'll be flawed, but still one of the best platformers of the generation?

NTom64

Teknoman said:
I like the VA crew from Sonic Adventure 1 minus Tikal. Unfortunatly the guy who played Eggman passed on right?

Sadly, yes. The guy who plays him now (Mike Pollock) is rather decent though, IMO. If the voice acting is of the same quality as it was in Secret Rings, that would be enough for me :D

TreIII

omg rite said:
... So it'll be flawed, but still one of the best platformers of the generation?

HAH. If this game could accomplish THAT much, for the Sonic franchise, or just overall...do you know how much imploding and crow eating there would be on the Internet? :lol

At this point, I'm interested in this game. Like I said, to say the least, it's doing more for me than Unleashed ever was at the moment. But, we shall see.

And they had oughta bring back DarkSpine Sonic; hell give all of the playable characters power-ups like that, if the spirit moves them so.

markatisu

I hope its more movies (Sega makes some pretty good CGI) than storyboard, thats the one thing that really got me down about Sonic and the Secret Rings was the storyboarding took me out of the game

Short, swift movies in between levels is fine

I will give it a rent, I really liked the gameplay and look of Secret Rings (especially in motion). It was infinitely better than Sonic for the 360/PS3

TreIII said:
And they had oughta bring back DarkSpine Sonic; hell give all of the playable characters power-ups like that, if the spirit moves them so.

Yeah, someone already said this before but do we know that DS Sonic was the direct byproduce of the Rings from that story or does his name repersent the fact that he is "super Sonic" in a book (the book part making up the "spine" in his name)?

. . .I never got that name so maybe he is the Super Sonic for the story book games?

Teknoman said:
I like the VA crew from Sonic Adventure 1 minus Tikal. Unfortunatly the guy who played Eggman passed on right?
Yes but the new eggman is not bad at all, sonic got changed also after the DC period of games to match the tv anime sonic voice, now THAT is a wtf.

TreIII

Black-Wind said:
Yeah, someone already said this before but do we know that DS Sonic was the direct byproduce of the Rings from that story or does his name repersent the fact that he is "super Sonic" in a book (the book part making up the "spine" in his name)?

. . .I never got that name so maybe he is the Super Sonic for the story book games?

As far as I know, "DS Sonic" was a fan made name. Wouldn't be surprised if in the case Sonic brings him back, they may just go with it.

And I wouldn't worry so much about trying to explain it. In fact, it may be for the better if they didn't try to explain the "logic" behind DS Sonic, knowing Sonic Team's story telling ability. :lol

Diablohead said:
Yes but the new eggman is not bad at all, sonic got changed also after the DC period of games to match the tv anime sonic voice, now THAT is a wtf.

I believe that was basically a term of the "deal"; if you wanted Mike Pollock (current Eggman) you had to take the whole 4Kids bunch from the anime, lock, stock and barrel.

Dunno why that had to be as it was...after all, Capcom/Clover was able to get Sam Reigel (Devil Hand), despite the fact that he also does work for 4Kids (namely, as Donatello on the new TMNT toons).

Teknoman

Hmm and here I thought Darkspine was official. Maybe something was unlocked explaining things after you beat the game. I'll go back and take a look today.

Interesting yet WTF worthy trivia:

Sean Schemmel, the voice of Goku, works at 4Kids as well and did the voice of Black Doom in Shadow.

Marc Thompson, the voice of Franklin Fizzlybear and Duke Devlin (sp?) from Yu-go-oh!, does the voice of Ti Hua Foo from The Wrong Coast! o_O

Yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom