• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Preview: Worst Sonic Game I’ve Ever Played

Ridley327

Knew it. Watch, this game will be seen by the new fanbase generation as the greatest game in the series, much like how Sonic 06 was to the gen before it and Sonic Adventure to the gen before that.

~It's the cirrrrrrrrrrrrccccccccccccccllllllllllllllleeeeee of liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifffffffffffffeeeeeeeee and it moves usssssssssss alllllllllllllllllllllll~

Unless you were Dave Halverson, Sonic 06 was an immediate disaster amongst not just fans of the series, but for fans of video games in general.

Card Boy

Banned
Sounds like a massive step back after we received Sonic Colors, Generations and Sonic Sega All-Star Racing: Transformed. Still can't believe what happened with Sonic 4.

pixlexic

Banned
they should have made went with the action adventure rout for the sequel to sonic adventure. They should have never went action only.

Zomba13

Weren't they doing pretty good with Sonic games for a while after the games that got retconned out?

Where is the fun in making good Sonic games? They made a few and found it more fun to fuck with a winning formulae and just make shitty Sonic games, each one adding a new special friend.

NotLiquid

Spinball hate is beyond me man.

It's the only game I need on my phone. It's fucking hard for sure but there's something oddly charming about it and the very gritty adventure feel.

Weren't they doing pretty good with Sonic games for a while after the games that got retconned out?

The only Sonic game that ever got retconned was Sonic 06 and that was in-plot because the game's story was so bad it literally caused time and space to be destroyed.

Baleoce

That preview I saw with random Sonic friends voice acting during gameplay, all "cowabunga". I just had no words. Can't think of anything more tedious whilst trying to play a game. As for the gameplay itself, it looks unpolished to say the least.

Regiruler

Unless some sort of amazing divine intervention occurs, I probably will be skipping this one.

I wish we had hints as to what sonic team is working on (whatever it is, I hope there is a Wii U version), but we'll probably have to wait until next May to see it.

Zomba13

Ironically this may be the first game to beat the Sonic Cycle(c)

For me a new Sonic Cycle was created with Lost World.

1. Show shitty looking gameplay
2. Show more Shitty looking gameplay
3. Release a game that was pretty shitty

zeopower6

The only Sonic game that ever got retconned was Sonic 06 and that was in-plot because the game's story was so bad it literally caused time and space to be destroyed.

I thought they removed a few other games as well from the market or whatever due to bad ratings or something.

devonodev

That's a big call, worst sonic game. I hope this game won't be as bad as it looks, but I don't think that's going to happen.

nded

Whatever happened to those wacky redesigns that were floating around a while back? The Sonic Boom crew look like they took those designs and focus-tested the fun right of them.

And even though people claim his 3D adventures sucked I actually enjoyed many of them especially SA, SA2...

This line makes me skeptical about the voracity of everything that comes after it. If you like bad Sonic games, maybe you dislike good ones?

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its like...the Adventure style is by far the weakest version of 3D Sonic they've ever made. They spent like a decade trying to fix it. Why would they go back to that school of level design?

Spinluck

Thank god I'm not a Sonic fan ... hard times

Lol, nah.

sonic-all-stars-racing-transformed_13_pac_m_130114104601.jpg

4639658251_54f56822ec.jpg

sonic-generations-_590x395.jpg

igVIBDpeqwFED.jpg

It's a lot better than last decade, series has shown some upside. This however, was a bad move.

Neiteio

They should just make a 2D Sonic with extraordinary production values and a really flexible camera that moves in and out to better telegraph incoming obstacles/enemies.

Occasionally segue into a 3D section for funsies, and then get back to the 2D.

Spaghetti

i always take the opinions of someone who likes sa2 with a pinch of salt, but sonic boom does look like they reinvented sonic in entirely the wrong direction

can't be worse than 06 though, i refuse to believe that this game will be anywhere as outright broken as 06.

NotLiquid

I thought they removed a few other games as well from the market or whatever due to bad ratings or something.

Oh if you mean pulled from the shelves then yes they did that. Sonic 06 and Unleashed are still easy as fuck to find all the same because so many bargain bin and second-hand outlet copies exist.

Story-wise they're not really retconned because Sonic is basically like Mario canon at this point and Generations references some older games. Hell most of the characters associated with the worst games are still series mainstays. Well, except Big The Cat. They were open about his removal.

Crayolan

Yep. Every time they make a good Sonic game they feel the need to deviate as far from the formula as possible and spend years experimenting with different concepts that having nothing to do with Sonic, resulting in loads of shitty games. Eventually, they return to the standard formula, and whaddya know? They make a good Sonic game.

It's such a shame that Sega is on the verge of starting another Sonic Cycle.

Can we all just ignore the existence of Sonic Boom as a whole so that this "Alternate Universe" series can fall apart and backfire in Sega's face.

Well, except Big The Cat. They were open about his removal.

I would think that's more because his voice actor passed away than fan feedback.

Have no problem with this game being slower in concept, but the seemingly shoddy nature of the mechanics is definitely a bummer. Makes me think back to a couple weeks ago when Jeff Gerstmann said it was a bad game and had no interest in elaborating.

The timing and precision when attacking enemies felt very clunky and some of my attacks barely registered. This also applied to many of the segments that involved jumping...when trying to move the box I had trouble trying to get the lasso to register properly
It being worse than '06 seems like hyperbole now, but that quote mean that the fundamentals of the game are as broken as they were in '06.

NotLiquid

It's such a shame that Sega is on the verge of starting another Sonic Cycle.

Can we all just ignore the existence of Sonic Boom as a whole so that this "Alternate Universe" series can fall apart and backfire in Sega's face.

Well the game looks balls and probably won't perform great in general so I'll look passed that. The cartoon show looks like good fun though so I guess there's some good to be found in here.

I would think that's more because his voice actor passed away than fan feedback.

He's had numerous voice actors and neither of his recents are deceased. The original quote in 2012 spoke about the choice of not including him having to do with negative franchise image.

Yudoken

This was hardly a surprise after that breath taking reveal trailer.
I'm sorry but I think anyone who believes that we get a really good new 3D Sonic game is blind.
The only good Sonic 3D game is All Stars racing and it's not even a jump and run game.

mrhej

If this game actually becomes worse than Sonic 06 then I think Sonic Boom deserves some kind of award for achieving that.

Daingurse

At-least I still have Sonic Generations PC, Christ. I was able to find enjoyment in Sonic 2006. Was truly hardcore about Sonic back then, and 06 was one of the first next-gen games I owned on 360, but this being worse is truly unfathomable. And yet . . . I believe it.

Shun

Nintendo probably regrets advertising this game on their Directs.

Everyone deserves better than this.

DNAbro

The guy who voiced Big is still alive..in fact, all three voice actors who voiced Big are still alive!

his japanese voice actor? I've heard it's a thing to retire characters if their voice actors die.

Anyways, this game looked like complete shit and im not surprised it plays like complete shit. I just want the damn chao garden back.

coldone

I am very worried. This is a double whammy, I want a good 3d platformer this holiday season as well as them going back to Sly5.

Hope Sanzaru will fix the issues and make a good game like Sly4.

Top Bottom