• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Preview: Worst Sonic Game I’ve Ever Played

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
Shocking!

I'm a little surprised it's worse than Sanic 06 and Shadow though, honestly.

Though that article didn't mention Sonic 3D Blast and Sonik the Fighters, so I don't know if it's the worst Sonic game ever :p

edit: Or Sanic R. I blocked that from my memory, mostly.

Not surprising, it's not like Sega was doing bad Sonic games intentional. They all had a pretty unique idea in mind, just didn't' work.

Not to be a smartass, but is anyone actually surprised by the fact that we have yet another terrible Sonic game coming out?

At this point, wouldn't the shocker be if a Sonic game actually turned out to be good?

Adult finds game designed for kids a bad game. More news at 11.
Guess what? Sonic doesn't have the timeless / ageless quality of Mario. Never did. Stop expecting them to make a Sonic game that you'll enjoy.

I know that it looks bad...

...but I have a real soft spot for Sonic games, even the bad ones. So I'm probably going to end up getting this game anyway.

God damnit.

i0gKgyfNMcfHp.gif

This game being worse than 06 implies that the game is broken. Seeing as the author didn't mention that, I think it's safe to say that isn't the case, no matter how bad it seems. From the looks of it, it doesn't even look that bad, just extremely boring.

Guess what? Sonic doesn't have the timeless / ageless quality of Mario. Never did. Stop expecting them to make a Sonic game that you'll enjoy.
Except the issues being cited all relate to the pacing and very touchy controls. The whip is meant to be central to the gameplay, but thus far doesn't sound like it's been implemented very well. It's like if the jumping in a Mario game only worked half the time.

Daingurse

A game being made for a younger demographic, has never been a pass for it's inadequacies. Sonic games have always been kids games, and yet I can still enjoy quite a lot of them all the same. So get off it.

SykoTech

No surprise here if it sucks. Looked like crap since it was first shown. And the fact that it's a tie-in game for a kids TV show made it all the more likely to suck. Those rarely (maybe never) turn out good.

But still...worse than Sonic '06. That would take skill.

Ridley327

I am very worried. This is a double whammy, I want a good 3d platformer this holiday season as well as them going back to Sly5.

Hope Sanzaru will fix the issues and make a good game like Sly4.

Sanzaru isn't on this one: they're doing the 3DS game. This is all on BigRedButton.

You, as a Shining fan, arguably don't get bad games. You just get no games outside of Japan.
There's a difference between being a "Shining" fan and a "Shining Force" fan. It's the same regarding Phantasy Star proper and PSO(and everything PS-related to come after PSO). There IS a pretty big turning point to where the series/franchises "turned" into something else.

Verelios

You, as a Shining fan, arguably don't get bad games. You just get no games outside of Japan.
As both a shining and Sonic fan, let me tell you. Importing Shining...has been a hard 10 years. Playing Sonic games has been a tough 14 years.

I would still rather play a Shining game than a Sonic one. And I fucking love Sonic.

Please lord at least be on heroes level.

Edit: Magnaderalpha is pretty right. Ever since the demographic changed.. shining hasn't been the same. Oh lord, the Tony Taka flashes.

Hmm.. that should read "Worst Original Sonic Game," if we're being honest.. because Sonic Genesis for the GBA exists.

That said, we'll see what happens.

s_mirage

I honestly don't understand why haven't even made Sonic Generations 2. Did the first one sell horribly or something? It's one of my favourite Sonic games.

This is Sega we're talking about, they don't do things that make sense. Also with regards to Generations, you'd think that they would take note of the positive responses to the silent, short, tubby, classic Sonic and his largely 2D levels. Instead, IIRC, they wrote him off as a one time only deal, and have gone in exactly the opposite direction in terms of character and game design.

Not to be a smartass, but is anyone actually surprised by the fact that we have yet another terrible Sonic game coming out?

At this point, wouldn't the shocker be if a Sonic game actually turned out to be good?

...are you being serious?

Most of this thread is people complaining that the series is shit again after a trilogy of good titles.

lol, what bullshit. Sonic 2 stands among the giants.

WillyFive

For those saying "Why didn't we get a new Generations-style game", let's wait until we see what new game the Generations team is making before we say Sega abandoned it.

A game by the Sonic Storybook team (Lost World) and a game from ex-Naughty Dogs devs (Sonic Boom) is not going to replace whatever Sonic Team is working on.

iMerc

unfortunate if true.

the only recent good sonics games i've played have been sonic colours & sonic generations.

sega please give sonic to eadtokyo so they can show you how to treat this character with respect. :)

Sigh, why could they just not build upon the generations style. That game was amazing, but they have quickly reverted back to mediocrity, so disappointing.

Sojiro

I guess we will see how it goes, but it has a hell of an uphill battle with me to change my perception of it. Its a shame if it doesn't turn out well, because I actually liked Sonic Lost Worlds, even though I admit its not the best sonic game out there. On another note, I actually liked sonic spinball, screw the haters lol.

Regiruler

For those saying "Why didn't we get a new Generations-style game", let's wait until we see what new game the Generations team is making before we say Sega abandoned it.

A game by the Sonic Storybook team (Lost World) and a game from ex-Naughty Dogs devs (Sonic Boom) is not going to replace whatever Sonic Team is working on.
Colors was made by storybook and was better than Generations.
I can't seem to convince you that Lost World was actually decent hidden behind some really questionable level design choices and lack of polish.

Spinluck

I honestly don't understand why haven't even made Sonic Generations 2. Did the first one sell horribly or something? It's one of my favourite Sonic games.

Sonic Team just loves to experiment.

The next game will probably be a top down platformer.

WillyFive

Colors was made by storybook and was better than Generations.
I can't seem to convince you that Lost World was actually decent hidden behind some really questionable level design choices and lack of polish.

I found the 3DS game to be decent (except for the special stages); but decent is still a downgrade from what we had gotten with Colors and Generations.

Isn't Sonic 2006 one of the worst games ever made?

Is such a thing even possible?

As extravagantly unfinished Sonic 06 was; it was still Sonic Adventure 3 at it's heart. This game seems to be just as unfinished; except with a bad idea from the start.

The footage looks like the same kind of broken, glitchy, rushed garbage as 06 and Shadow.

Except where those at least had incredibly brief microscopic glimpses of a good Sonic game, this looks like it may not even have that what with it fundamentally being a different style.

It's so sad that Sonic spent last gen slowly rebuilding good will with Unleashed, Colors and Generations each being better than the last only to totally blow it with Lost Worlds and Boom. I hope the cartoon at least is a success because this game certainly doesn't look like it's gonna get the kids excited.

Coxy

but I enjoyed Generations, what now?

Paz

If someone has actually designed entertainment to be terrible for people older than 11 it's probably a terrible thing to give an 11 year old in the first place.

Hate that line of thinking.

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
well that's gonna be some sort of record if it happens to be the worst among such abundant competition

Guri

SEGA seems desperate to give Sonic games some variety. It worked with Colors. It didn't go so well with Lost World. Sonic Boom seems like another shot at the idea of making Sonic Heroes work.

Sonic is not a franchise suited for radical approaches like that. They should respect what made the character good.

Hexa

...are you being serious?

Most of this thread is people complaining that the series is shit again after a trilogy of good titles.

lol, what bullshit. Sonic 2 stands among the giants.

Wait. What's the trilogy? Colors was good. Generations was great. And... Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was great?

TheOGB

Banned
I doubt it's going to be worse than 06 or Shadow. For me this is just Sonic's Crash of the Titans, and that game wasn't even bad, so...

My worst fear is that it won't be polished, or just comes out boring. For better or worse I've already got the mindset that this is a licensed game for the show more than it is a Sonic game.

Neff

I'm not shocked. Western game design philosophies, particularly the kind one might associate with ex-Naughty Dog staff, are unsuitable for something like Sonic. The fact that the game looks and apparently plays like a generic Western mascot platformer is no surprise at all, but no less disheartening to see.

At least Wii U Lost World was good.

It's funny how Sega still takes the heat (which is still due for approving this hot sack of garbage to begin with.) for Big Red Button and Sanzaru. Where's that oh so optimistic defense force now?

So sad. The reveal trailer was so promising.
<_< What trailer were you watching?
What is up with you and excusing garbage because it's intended for kids? Would you like to be a young Sonic fan excited to play total ass?

This.
Wait. What's the trilogy? Colors was good. Generations was great. And... Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed was great?

Unleashed, whether you liked the Werehog or not Unleashed on 360/PS3 was actually pretty decent. I liked it more than Generations.

Yagharek

Wait, since when did people not like Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle)? :(

Sonic Adventure 2 was poo.

When you had great 2D Sonics to compare new releases to, SA 1 and SA2 were horrid, glitchy and in some levels, broken.

To me the distinction in quality between SA2 and Sonic 06 is trivial.

I dunno, didn't we already get the "Sonic-y" game from them already? Lost Worlds was shitty too and it was in such an easy position to build upon Unleashed (Daytime), Colours and Generations and become a truly great Sonic game for the Wii U. Only thing Lost World had going for it was the cutscenes and graphics. I can't even recall any memorable tunes and you know you've messed up a Sonic game if that happens.
My take on Lost Worlds is that the Wii U was bombing, and Sega was locked into a deal with Nintendo, so they pushed something out the door. I can't really think of any other reason you would have such a drop-off in quality after Colors and Generations, but, y'know, Sega gonna Sega.

I was under the impression the 'storybook/colors' team got absorbed into the main Sonic Team during the latter half of Generations' development, and Lost World was done by this same setup of ST.

Top Bottom