• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Preview: Worst Sonic Game I’ve Ever Played

I have no idea if you're being sarcastic, but it hurts me deep inside that people describe SA2's soundtrack as "butt rock" :(

I'm not I get chills every time I listen to this song. It was my childhood. Like, seriously. I probably listened to that song more than any other back then.

Toad.T

Banned
Unless you were Dave Halverson, Sonic 06 was an immediate disaster amongst not just fans of the series, but for fans of video games in general.

I've honestly seen multiple anecdotes from parents/people that know kids that say that the kids absolutely love '06. Odd, but I swear I saw them.

Yagharek

I've honestly seen multiple anecdotes from parents/people that know kids that say that the kids absolutely love '06. Odd, but I swear I saw them.

Well there were people who loved SA2 as kids, so its no surprise that some kids love Sonic 06.

In ten years time the fans of Sonic 06 will be baffled that people hate the game.

People who grew up on SA2 will be utterly horrified.

And people like me who grew up on 2D Sonics will be tut-tutting you all from the nursing home.

Sonic Boom needs a lot of work. When I completed my demo I asked one of the reps at BigRedDot if these levels were final and to my horror he acknowledged it with a firm yes.

Sonic Boom is evidently so unremarkable people can't even remember the name of the studio behind it.

brb_logo.png

how does Sega continually fuck up every franchise they own? I think Skies of Arcadia and Valkyria Chronicles are the only good ones left. Phantasy Star maybe.

Adventure 2 is competent in areas but still has some fundamental level design and camera problems

Adventure 1 is garbage

Adventure 2 is 2/3 straight garbage and 1/3 mediocre.

Liking the adventure games is almost as bad as liking Classic Sonic in Generations with his broken physics and only serviceable level design!

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Adventure 2 is 2/3 straight garbage and 1/3 mediocre.

Liking the adventure games is almost as bad as liking Classic Sonic in Generations with his broken physics and only serviceable level design!

Fuck, I was only thinking of the Sonic levels in Adventure 2. Its like Episode II all over again

Yeah Adventure 2 is 2/3rds garbage

Azure J

To actually make something worse than Sonic 06 in the same franchise... Damn.

Well, here's hoping Sonic Team is paying attention and preparing Lost World: We Learned our Lesson and remembered what made Colors/Generations so Good & Iterated On This Design Edition.

I dunno, didn't we already get the "Sonic-y" game from them already? Lost Worlds was shitty too and it was in such an easy position to build upon Unleashed (Daytime), Colours and Generations and become a truly great Sonic game for the Wii U. Only thing Lost World had going for it was the cutscenes and graphics. I can't even recall any memorable tunes and you know you've messed up a Sonic game if that happens.

Sonic Lost World has pretty great tracks OST. Here some of my favorites.

http://youtu.be/I63MeBAao10

http://youtu.be/NwQQGicfI2g

http://youtu.be/Vr_NAR5-L8s

http://youtu.be/et9F9V0HqZo

http://youtu.be/lPr0NEB-9hw

Lost World is anything but a bad game. Isn't great like Generations or Colors, but a good game with cute graphics, 60fps, great music, good levels (2d mostly), bad levels (tubular stages WTF), some control issues and probably a short development cycle. 6.5/10 IMO

Sonic 06 is undoubtedly one of the worst games I've ever played, but it's hilarious in its incompetence. At least it can be enjoyed ironically. Sonic Boom just looks painful and dull. Not that I'm invested in it, but hopefully they can salvage something before release.

Sonic Adventure 2 was poo.

When you had great 2D Sonics to compare new releases to, SA 1 and SA2 were horrid, glitchy and in some levels, broken.

To me the distinction in quality between SA2 and Sonic 06 is trivial.

Agreed.
The two Adventure games were the absolute worst. The only thing that had potential were the Sonic levels, and even they were janky at times.
I consider those two games to be the Sonic equivalent of the Stars Wars prequel trilogy. They started all of the terrible new millennium STH trends that we would have to deal with for a bloody decade.

I really feel like the Sonic Adventure series could have been great if Sonic Team had a Sonic Advance mentality when creating the first game(A Sonic focused 3D platformer with 3 alternative Sonics to choose from)
If they just focused on Adventure's Sonic gameplay they could have worked out the bugs, and created a fun platforming game.
It really sucks that they carried their left over "Sonic RPG" elements into our first proper 3D Sonic game.

Anura

Well there were people who loved SA2 as kids, so its no surprise that some kids love Sonic 06.

In ten years time the fans of Sonic 06 will be baffled that people hate the game.

People who grew up on SA2 will be utterly horrified.

And people like me who grew up on 2D Sonics will be tut-tutting you all from the nursing home.

I recently played SA2 again... It sucked bad. Funny thing, even in my childhood, I only liked it for the chao gardens.

But this game can't possibly be worse than 06... It just can't! 06 is just a soul killing experience to try and beat in ways that's very hard to describe without playing it yourself(I completed it on a bet). Notice how the infamous pokecappn LP started off chipper and up beat, but ends in them being almost dead inside? That's 06 in a nutshell

Ok. Here's what I'm gathering: despite the numerous and notoriously bad sonic games they churn annually, they make enough to keep the franchise going. Who buys these games?

Worst sonic game maybe only after 06 and Shadow, but at leasr those two games looked good... had more graphical polish then Boom. Yes I agree am worried... specially with the promise the game showed with the characters and dialog...

Laconic

Banned
I'd like to be able to say this thread reads as a big disappoinment. I really, really would. But I've had over a decade of conditioning to prepare me.

Anth0ny

It really does look like a god awful piece of shit

all the impressions I've heard so far have been extremely negative

but I still don't think it's possible to make a more broken game than Sonic 06. though I wouldn't be surprised if Boom was less fun to play than 06, for no reason other than the awfulness of 06 got so fucking crazy at times that it was actually hilarious/fun.

Zalman

There's no way it's worse than Sonic '06 unless it's an absolute broken and unplayable mess. This at least looks playable, just very poorly designed.

Well, maybe I shouldn't talk since I haven't actually played the game, but worse than '06? That's... really bad.

The 3DS game from Sanzaru Games at least looks decent.

What ever happened to the Sonic Rush series? Now those games deserved some sequels.

Ok. Here's what I'm gathering: despite the numerous and notoriously bad sonic games they churn annually, they make enough to keep the franchise going. Who buys these games?

The many fans who are complaining about them, obviously.

Mr. Patch

There's no way it's worse than Sonic '06 unless it's an absolute broken and unplayable mess. This at least looks playable, just very poorly designed.

Well, maybe I shouldn't talk since I haven't actually played the game, but worse than '06? That's... really bad.

The 3DS game from Sanzaru Games at least looks decent.

Shit, that might be why it's worse. Your game isn't glitchy, janky, and unfinished and it still manages to be less fun to play than that broken piece of shit we call Sonic 06.

ChipotIe

Banned
I'm pretty confident this is not the version of the game that is going to ship.

That aside I wonder who these drastic changes are for? Sonic was always an OK IP... not a great one. Did they really think the characters were strong enough for another reboot? Because this... isn't exactly aimed at Sonic fans.

Village

I'm not getting into this sa2 mess again, if ya'll wanna have poo tier taste thats fine. Ya'll gotta live with that.

I recently played SA2 again... It sucked bad. Funny thing, even in my childhood, I only liked it for the chao gardens.

But this game can't possibly be worse than 06... It just can't! 06 is just a soul killing experience to try and beat in ways that's very hard to describe without playing it yourself(I completed it on a bet). Notice how the infamous pokecappn LP started off chipper and up beat, but ends in them being almost dead inside? That's 06 in a nutshell

I think there are sonic games that exist right now that are worse than 06.

Its possible.

ChipotIe

Banned
I think there are sonic games that exist right now that are worse than 06.

Its possible.

No.... there really isn't. It's not just 'ha ha look at these load times'. The game is fundamentally incomplete and that manifests itself in major ways in nearly all of the game.

I've actually been making fun of this game when it was first shown off. The designs look bad to me (what the hell is up with that tape), making a sonic game a beatem up is taking the wrong lesson from warehog, every running section looks slow as dirt, and every person whose touched the game said it "wasn't good". The show looks even worse then the game, it's like someone watched adventure time and didn't understand anything about why that show is popular.

ElRenoRaven

Worse than 06 would be quite a feat indeed.

Yup. Is this shocking though? I mean everyone but Sega saw this coming. It's sad but the Sega we all loved is long dead. This monstrosity that uses it's name will continue to bastardize Sonic to make a buck just because it can. I'll give them Generations kicked ass. But I knew that wouldn't last. And them being a monstrosity that uses Sega's name is why.

I think Gaf is freaking out over nothing.

Level design has little to do with the grappling mechanics. Those can be fine tuned before release.

Slow levels aren't necessarily bad, it may even be appropriate for the exploration style of gameplay the studio is aiming for. You're even given a scanner to use. Furthermore it seems like levels being slow have something to do with the grappling mechanics being broken.

Shojx

The slow pacing was one of my biggest concerns with this game. I was reminded of the Unleashed Werehog stages by the previous gameplay footage I had seen, so I'm not surprised at the comparison.

Well damn. When you combine the cheesy script with the clunky and slow gameplay, I can't say I find the resulting package too appealing. I usually give every Sonic game a shot, and there hasn't been one yet that I haven't finished, even for the games I didn't particularly enjoy... But I'm really not sure if I'll be able to sit through this one completely.

Lets just say I'm not fond of sonic heroes in any capacity and would argue that its the absolute worst.

Sonic Heroes was the last console Sonic game I actually really liked, but regardless of personal preferences, I'd say it's quite the stretch to claim that it's worse than Sonic 06. I'd be pretty impressed if you were able to convince others of that.

I'm not surprised by these impressions... but I do think claiming it to be worse than '06 is pretty hyperbolic though. I guess we'll see.

Eh...

Lets just say I'm not fond of sonic heroes in any capacity and would argue that its the absolute worst.
I hated Sonic Heroes, but I think it's disingenuous to claim it's worse than Sonic '06. That game was absolutely not in a fit state for release, let alone its poor design in general. It was undoubtedly the Sonic series' lowest and most shameful moment.

Heroes was dire, but at least it was fully put together. It didn't do anywhere near the damage to the brand that '06 did.

Lucent

I really wish Sega would give Sonic a freak'n break and hit the drawing board for real. I want Shenmue and Jet Set Radio back. lol. Feel like they're trying too hard. Seemed like Generations was a fine thing to do, but then they went and had this happen.

Top Bottom