• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Preview: Worst Sonic Game I’ve Ever Played

WillyFive

Knuckles' levels are worse in SA2 due to making you find the emerald pieces in a certain order. There's one thing already.

Also, I thought the SA1 hub world was bad, like most 3D hub worlds.

You could find them in any order; it's just that the radar only looks for one at a time.

And yes, the SA1 overworld was funky; but it doesn't mean a better one couldn't be made.

MrBadger

well the worst sonics always get the best music nowadays, hopefully theres that

Unfortunately not. From what we've heard of the music, it's all generic orchestral cinematic stuff. None of it sounded especially memorable to me.

3DS version has a chance though. It's got the guy who did the ASRT music, and the greatest soundtrack of all time, Sonic R.

Although I don't doubt this game will end up being a huge stinky turd, it is hard to trust someone who claims to enjoy those Sonic Adventure games. Worse than Sonic 06? It doesn't sound possible, but I guess it's best to never underestimate this franchise's ability to achieve new levels of sheer awfulness.

People being shocked at the prospect of a game being worse than Sonic 06 clearly never played Sonic Chronicles. Which is good, and I wish I could be them, because my god was that game atrocious. 06 at least had some enjoyable aspects, even if it was laughing at how broken it was. Chronicles... wasn't even laughably bad.

Boom looks terrible. It misses the entire point of Sonic's character so hard it's depressing. I mean, if you want to put Sonic into a beat-em-up that's fine, but at least make him feel fast. Give him moves where he spins around enemies at super-speed to stun them, or where he runs in and out of the screen ala The Flash in Injustice.

It hard to trust a guy that say that at least they have "personalities" now. Speaking over and over with cliche lines is not exactly a personality.

Dr. Buni

Sonic has always been at it's best, when it focused on speedy platforming. Which is why I prefer 2 to 1 infinitely. Too many momentum killing stages in 1 that I hate.
Sonic 2 is full of momentum killing stages as well. Sonic 3 is the less "offender" in this aspect.
More like hold right to lose all of your rings.
Exactly like Modern Sonic games. If you just keep running forward, you're just gonna lose all of your rings/die.

MrBadger

It hard to trust a guy that say that at least they have "personalities" now. Speaking over and over with cliche lines is not exactly a personality.

Well, I suppose it's a step up for fans of Tails and Knuckles, who have been nothing but cheerleaders in recent years, despite being fairly popular and having their own moves. But that's probably for the greater good, considering the only Sonic games to really get the whole "different characters with different properties" thing right are 3/K and Sonic Advance.

Krejlooc

Banned
I pretty much treat this game the same way I treated, say, Sonic Spinball or Sonic & The Black Knights - as little more than shovelware for sega to check their box on the annual sonic release. Given that this isn't even being developed by Sega, I don't really give this game the time of day, and I'm a little surprised to see continued coverage of this. It seems pretty obvious to me that Sega is on a 3-year dev cycle for Sonic games, and they're using 3 teams on a rotation to pump them out annually. You've got the alternative team, responsible for Sonic Colors and Sonic Lost World, then you've got the main team in japan, responsible for Sonic Unleashed and Sonic Generations, then you typically have an outside team filling in the gap. Last time it was Sumo Digital with Sonic Transformed, this time it's Big Red Button with Sonic Boom.

Difference is Sonic Transformed was awesome. This just doesn't look worth my time. I'm personally waiting to see what the team behind Generations has been doing for the last 3 years. I would bet it'll be in the style of Unleashed and Generations, personally.

The comparison to Spinball, to me, seems especially adept when you consider the use of American cartoon characters in both.

Bach_741

Neo Member
Wow... I just wanted to say I'm new here, and come from another gaming site that I won't mention by name (GF).

Maybe this thread is an exception, but the maturity and level-headed reactions I'm reading to someone expressing an honest negative opinion is quite impressive. I'm used to picking through post after post of angsty manchildren who reflexively (and viciously, in a cute-little-yappy-dog kind of way) attack views they don't share.

Nice to see a place where these kinds of opinions are welcome... or at least tolerated. :)

Dr. Buni

Wow... I just wanted to say I'm new here, and come from another gaming site that I won't mention by name (GF).

Maybe this thread is an exception, but the maturity and level-headed reactions I'm reading to someone expressing an honest negative opinion is quite impressive. I'm used to picking through post after post of angsty manchildren who reflexively (and viciously, in a cute-little-yappy-dog kind of way) attack views they don't share.

Nice to see a place where these kinds of opinions are welcome... or at least tolerated. :)
It is not always like this, specially in Sonic-related topics. Welcome to GAF, anyway. Hope you enjoy your stay here.

Pachimari

It looks truly abysmal, and if a preview is this bad it probably means something is rotten in Denmark

but worse than Sonic 06? Would be a true feat indeed. Actually there's been a ton of atrocious Sonic games. Maybe worse than Shadow, which was itself a miserable piece of excrement.
Wait... This is made in Denmark???

Welcome to GAF!

If it wasn't for the repetitive looking combat, I'd probably get excited for this game. It reminds me of Sonic 06, but in a good way, seeing how it's taking elements from the Adventure formula without straight out copying it.

But good god the combat. It brings the game to a halt and just looks unfun to play. The constant unfunny dialogue by Sonic and Co during gameplay certainly isn't helping either.

Silvawuff

Adult finds game designed for kids a bad game. More news at 11.
Guess what? Sonic doesn't have the timeless / ageless quality of Mario. Never did. Stop expecting them to make a Sonic game that you'll enjoy.

So kids don't have standards for games, either?

I think if they developed a game that truly respected what made the original Megadrive games great, it would help bring back Sonic in a way we haven't seen for over a decade. No homing attacks, wacky physics, or extended death pits or whatever -- design it like a continuation from Sonic 1 through S3&K.

That said, it's too bad to see an early review like this for a game already getting a lot of negative miasma. I can tell the developers are really trying hard to reforge this franchise into something that is not only appealing, but fun to play.

Spinluck

Sonic 2 is full of momentum killing stages as well. Sonic 3 is the less "offender" in this aspect.

Sonic 1 is still my favorite.

From best to least best.

Sonic 3&K > Sonic 1> Sonic 2

Sonic 2 is usually cited as the GOAT, but I've always disagreed. They didn't really figure out how to implement the spindash as a mechanic till S3. Most of the levels didn't really feel like they accommodated it well, and the final boss was a fucking bitch at the time.

Elija2

Eh what? Sonic lever were a massive downgrade from Adventure, Tails was in a stupid mech and Knuckles levels were god damn awful compare to Adventure. It also didn't help that Adventure 2 story was stupid and trying so hard to be dark and serous in a Sonic game.

The only thing that Adventure 2 improved was the Chao garden.

I don't see how the Sonic levels in SA2 were a downgrade other than being artistically inferior. Tails may have been in a stupid mech but at least his levels in SA2 were better designed than the ones in SA1 which were just Sonic's levels but with giant rings you fly through to make it easier for you. Same with Knuckles/Rouge; the radar was gimped but at least the treasure hunting levels were specifically designed for them. And yeah the story in SA2 sucks, but it isn't much better in SA1.

Plus SA2 cut out the Tornado, Big, and Amy levels and got rid of the unnecessary adventure fields. It's definitely the better game, if only slightly.

Dr. Buni

Sonic 1 is still my favorite.

From best to least best.

Sonic 3&K > Sonic 1> Sonic 2

Sonic 2 is usually cited as the GOAT, but I've always disagreed. They didn't really figure out how to implement the spindash as a mechanic till S3. Most of the levels didn't really feel like they accommodated it well, and the final boss was a fucking bitch at the time.
Interesting, the one you consider to be the best isn't your favorite. I agree that S3&K > S1 > S2.

KingJ2002

Wow... sonic 06 and shadow the hedgehog were really bad... and this sounds like it's going for the running.

The did so well with sonic generations you'd think they would continue to build on that formula

even lost world wasn't that bad.

but sonic boom sounds like sonic heroes gone wrong.

WillyFive

Interesting, the one you consider to be the best isn't your favorite. I agree that S3&K > S1 > S2.

I agree with that as well.

It's also always important to differentiate between what you consider the best and what your favorite one is; it should only rarely be the same thing.

(albeit with Sonic 3K, they are clearly both one and the same)

Sami+

Lost World wasn't a commercial failure because it adhered to a different play style. It was a failure because it was on the Wii U. The game itself was average at worst in reception and it's generally more likely that they'll be using elements from it in conjunction with a more speedy game play. The better takeaway would hopefully be better design, as that turned out to be the game's real undoing and has been Sonic Team's greatest weakness the last few games.

Of course - I'm well aware of the Wii U's position in the equation (though the fact that the 3DS version of Generations performed far better than that game's could be indicative of a broader lack of appeal). I'm simply pointing out that going back to what has, by all accounts, worked out undisputably better for them then Lost World has on both a critical and commercial front is not a logical stretch at all.

Sonic Team is reactionary beyond belief and you know that as well as I do - I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them drop this style immediately simply because it wasn't well received.

You will, because they will keep making Sonic Boom games until the TV show is over.

Is Sonic much of a thing among youngsters any more? I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a second season of the programme. Presumably Cartoon Network or whoever will need to commission a second season, and if the game is shite it would probably hurt the TV show's chances.

Trojan X

Banned
The original sonic games are about maintaining momentum and using speed as a reward for mastering the physics and level design.

They are about speed. But unlike what many think, it's about earned speed.

A gold star to you, young man. I have also been saying this for a long time. High five.

Now please continue to preach this to everyone that continue to not realise this here on Neogaf, and all the developer's out there that simply doesn't "get it".

Dr. Buni

I agree with that as well.

It's also always important to differentiate between what you consider the best and what your favorite one is; it should only rarely be the same thing.

(albeit with Sonic 3K, they are clearly both one and the same)
I agree, definitely. More often than not the game I consider the best in one franchise doesn't match my favorite game in the same franchise.

Why are we ignoring Sonic CD, anyway. It is also a great game.
Though the quality of level design is very questionable in later levels in the game.

MrBadger

Is Sonic much of a thing among youngsters any more? I wouldn't be surprised if there's not a second season of the programme. Presumably Cartoon Network or whoever will need to commission a second season, and if the game is shite it would probably hurt the TV show's chances.

I'm not so sure about that. Just about every popular kids TV show has a terrible or average licensed game, even characters who are well known for being game icons, like Pac-Man. I have doubts that the quality of the game will affect how kids see the show.

Don't even relate this game as a Sonic-Adventure-ish Sonic game. Sonic Boom wishes it had the potential to be as good as Sonic Adventure.

Please I hope I'm wrong, holding out hope for a huge leap in polish :/

So kids don't have standards for games, either?

I think if they developed a game that truly respected what made the original Megadrive games great, it would help bring back Sonic in a way we haven't seen for over a decade. No homing attacks, wacky physics, or extended death pits or whatever -- design it like a continuation from Sonic 1 through S3&K.

That said, it's too bad to see an early review like this for a game already getting a lot of negative miasma. I can tell the developers are really trying hard to reforge this franchise into something that is not only appealing, but fun to play.
I kinda feel the same way? I think it's too long gone, though, to return to those days. Had all that crap never been established(homing attacks, wacky physics, massive death pits) now than years back, it might be easier to return to the old ways. But after all these years, a good amount of the fanbase considers that kind of crap as a standard within the series, hence not including it would make it feel "un-Sonic"-like. Though yeah, I'd be up for a return to form, a Sonic in the vein of S1-S&K(and Sonic CD). IMO, those are MY standard.

I'm not so sure about that. Just about every popular kids TV show has a terrible or average licensed game, even characters who are well known for being game icons, like Pac-Man. I have doubts that the quality of the game will affect how kids see the show.

I think it's attempt to do what the Nickelodeon TMNT reboot cartoon did, re-introduce a new generation to a classic franchise. In Nick's TMNT's case, it hit gold, all by introducing kids to an unfamiliar franchise while not crapping over the existing fans of the 1988 and 2003 cartoons. IMO, that's how you reboot something RIGHT. You get a situation where:

KID(unfamiliar with TMNT)
"What's this?!"

*watches cartoon*

KID
"Awesome! I love Ninja Turtles!!!"

ADULT(familiar with TMNT)
"A new show? Urgh...."

*watches cartoon*

ADULT
"Y'know, that wasn't half-bad! Did Mikey just say he wanted a tattoo of 1988 toon Michelangelo on his face? LOL!!!"

The Pac-Man Ghostly Adventures is not as good, IMO, but I can see how kids can like it. It's pretty much toon fluff that would keep youngins entertained, at the very least(with hijinks and such). Can't say much about Sonic Boom. Who knows, though?

Qwark

I liked the Dark Brotherhood... it wasn't perfect, but it was at least enjoyable.

I really don't believe it to be worse than Sonic 06 (that wouldn't pass any QA department) or Shadow the Hedgehog.
Nor that horrible Sonic RPG by Bioware.

I believe it's a bad Sonic game though.

But Sonic Adventure wasn't even good.

Yeah no, it was.

The hyperbolic condemnation this game seems to receive can basically be applied to any 3D platformer of the 90's era (dated visuals, camera, controls). For some reason SA is the only guilty party that's shat on when it comes to retrospectives, most likely due to the horrible ports (DX, XBLA/PSN version which is essentially shitty a port of a shitty port) that most people ended up playing after the original's release, and taking the blame for what would become Sonic 06.

Now SA2 however is a literal poor piece of software. Worse in almost every aspect sans framerate. You've got shit story, generic music, narrow cramped stages with slow moving robots, needle in country-sized haystacks, and barely any true "Sonic" stages that you have no choice in choosing to play other than what the game shoves down your throat.

Elija2

There's a TV show based on the Rayman Raving Rabbids and it was renewed for a second season. Sonic is much more popular than the Rabbids so I'm sure the show will do fine.

Zafir

Yeah no, it was.

The hyperbolic condemnation this game seems to receive can basically be applied to any 3D platformer of the 90's era (dated visuals, camera, controls). For some reason SA is the only guilty party that's shat on when it comes to retrospectives, most likely due to the horrible ports (DX, XBLA/PSN version which is essentially shitty a port of a shitty port) that most people ended up playing after the original's release, and taking the blame for what would become Sonic 06.

Now SA2 however is a literal poor piece of software. Worse in almost every aspect sans framerate. You've got shit story, generic music, narrow cramped stages with slow moving robots, needle in country-sized haystacks, and barely any true "Sonic" stages that you have no choice in choosing to play other than what the game shoves down your throat.
I agree with the first part, but I don't think Sonic Adventure 2 is that much worse. Eggman/Tails levels are basically Gamma levels from the first, and Knuckles/Rouge levels are Knuckles levels(Except with the only one crystal at a time). I don't play Sonic games for the story, so that didn't bother me, and I rather liked the music of it. I admittedly did miss the lack of over world and character select though.

Either way, on topic. I find it hard to believe it could be worse than Sonic 06, but I guess we'll see. Mind you, if it is like the werehog levels, I can see me hating it. I only managed to tolerate the first werehog stage before turning the game off and never touching it again(Not counting the Sonic Generations mod).

Have you? Sonic 2 especially can be as much ,,hold right to win'' as later games, with ridiculous top speed too. Sonic 1 is slow, it's also not a very special platformer anymore.

Sorry but no. The only one that could maybe have that criticism is Sonic ADVANCE 2 and even then you'll still die.

ksdixon

Adult finds game designed for kids a bad game. More news at 11.
Guess what? Sonic doesn't have the timeless / ageless quality of Mario. Never did. Stop expecting them to make a Sonic game that you'll enjoy.

He does... when they stop adding needless gimmicks to him.

There's no reason why Sonic games need a sword (black knight), guns (shadow), to turn into a werehog (unleashed), a goofy scarf and electric lasso (boom), the weird level geometry and wall climb which is Knuckle's thing (lost world), to have a human girlfriend when Amy is right there or manipulate objects with Silver (06), Tails for 'tag moves' (Sonic4 Ep2), have wisp powers (Colors), or whatever other crap they've put onto him. With all the crap they've tried they could have made a handful of attempts at making new mascots.

At this point I want them to stagger Sonic game releases, switching-off between different engines/game types.

Year 1 - Hedgehog Engine - Chris Whitehead classic MegaDrive physics 2D Sonic game.
Year 2 - Generations Engine - I don't care if you add shitty friends in there, just keep both 2D & 3D and Classic & Modern Sonic.
Year 3 - SEGA AllStars/SuperStars 'X' - Racing? Tennis? Basketball? Football? Soccer? SEGA AllStars Battle Royal/SEGA SuperStars Brawl?
Year 4 - Derpy Edition - look at our stupid visual redesign or ham-fisted gameplay mechanic. Look at our goofy gimmick.

It's not bloody hard, C'mon SEGA!

WillyFive

He does... when they stop adding needless gimmicks to him.

There's no reason why Sonic games need a sword (black knight), guns (shadow), to turn into a werehog (unleashed), a goofy scarf and electric lasso (boom), the weird level geometry and wall climb which is Knuckle's thing (lost world), to have a human girlfriend when Amy is right there or manipulate objects with Silver (06), Tails for 'tag moves' (Sonic4 Ep2), have wisp powers (Colors), or whatever other crap they've put onto him. With all the crap they've tried they could have made a handful of attempts at making new mascots.

At this point I want them to stagger Sonic game releases, switching-off between different engines/game types.

Year 1 - Hedgehog Engine - Chris Whitehead classic MegaDrive physics 2D Sonic game.
Year 2 - Generations Engine - I don't care if you add shitty friends in there, just keep both 2D & 3D and Classic & Modern Sonic.
Year 3 - SEGA AllStars/SuperStars 'X' - Racing? Tennis? Basketball? Football? Soccer? SEGA AllStars Battle Royal/SEGA SuperStars Brawl?
Year 4 - Derpy Edition - look at our stupid visual redesign or ham-fisted gameplay mechanic. Look at our goofy gimmick.

It's not bloody hard, C'mon SEGA!

Hedgehog Engine is actually the name of the game engine Generations uses.

Spinluck

I think Sonic 3&K overall delivered the full package as a 2D Sonic game, it had everything.

One is my favorite for nostalgic reasons though, plus it is still the quickest one to pick up and play through (at least for me). I really never understood what people saw in Sonic 2 to call it the best of the 3. It really didn't outdo the original for me, and Sonic 3 was better in almost every way to me.

Hedgehog Engine is actually the name of the game engine Generations uses.

Boy I cannot wait to see the Hedgehog Engine on PS4/Xbone, with the jump on consoles, it will look even greater on PC.

Top Bottom