• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Preview: Worst Sonic Game I’ve Ever Played

Elija2

I know that it looks bad...

...but I have a real soft spot for Sonic games, even the bad ones. So I'm probably going to end up getting this game anyway.

But this isn't a Sonic game.

Seriously, even I have a soft spot for the shitty Adventure games but Sonic Boom is so far off from what a traditional Sonic game is that it's totally unappealing to me. I honestly probably would enjoy playing Sonic 06 or Shadow the Hedgehog more than this because they at least have the speedy platforming that Sonic is known for (with a lot of shit sprinkled on top).

roknin

I had a feeling it'd be that bad. One of those cases where it looks, quacks, and waddles like a duck.

Wait, since when did people not like Sonic Adventure 2 (Battle)? :(

Yeah Same question here, I mean it wasn't the greatest by far but it definitely wasn't bad overall (walker sections can go die though).

And Spinball?! That was the first pinball game I loved not named Kirby's Pinball Land.

Yagharek

The tails and robotnik levels were boring. The knuckles and rouge levels were broken. The sonic levels were rare, and glitchy.

Thats why SA2 sucks.

Motwera

Banned
I am
not
surprised at people thinking this is a mainline Sonic game.

Looks like a ND adventure game with a Sonic skin.
Uhh, its obvious that BigRedButton consists of Ex-Naughty Dog veterans who have previously worked on Crash and/or Jak and Daxter

RobbieNick

OP Is being a bit overdramatic. I've played the game myself and while it's not that great, there's FAR worse Sonic games out there. Also, he played the Knuckles section of the demo which is the most boring.

The best I can compare it to is Sonic Chronicles. Easy to get through, decent story (so far), but very bland gameplay. the only character I had fun with was Amy due to her new gymnastic moves and her hammer wipes out enemies fast. It'll probably be worth a rent if you're gonna watch the new cartoon show.

Piscus

I was at E3, and my friend and I walked away from playing the Wii U Sonic Boom with the same impression: any hope we may have had for the title was utterly and completely killed. The game was just not enjoyable. Terrible, inconsistent framerates, The gameplay just wasn't fun. Played a "speed" level and an "exploration" level, and during the latter I asked the Sega guy how the gameplay was split. He said it was "mostly exploration," and its fate was sealed. I am the kind of guy that tries to look at the big picture and always find things to appreciate, despite flaws. So know how serious I am when I say this isn't bad for a Sonic game - this is bad, period.

Foffy

Banned
I was at E3, and my friend and I walked away from playing the Wii U Sonic Boom with the same impression: any hope we may have had for the title was utterly and completely killed. The game was just not enjoyable. Terrible, inconsistent framerates, The gameplay just wasn't fun. Played a "speed" level and an "exploration" level, and during the latter I asked the Sega guy how the gameplay was split. He said it was "mostly exploration," and its fate was sealed. I am the kind of guy that tries to look at the big picture and always find things to appreciate, despite flaws. So know how serious I am when I say this isn't bad for a Sonic game - this is bad, period.

How'd the 3DS version fair?

Uhh, its obvious that BigRedButton consists of Ex-Naughty Dog veterans who have previously worked on Crash and/or Jak and Daxter

Not to everyone though.
It's best to not look at this as a Sonic game, it looks like it'll play more like a Jak and Daxter game.

lol
This is a pretty nice way to sum it all up.
Also, the soundtrack was lame and the cut scenes were awful.

3118894.gif

RobbieNick

Pretty good. The action platforming parts were typical Sonic fare, but switching characters to explore the large "Metrodivania" (we need a new term for that) like levels was cool. The only problem is that everything regarding the map and switching characters is handled on the bottom screen. You use the L and R buttons to travrse the bottoms screen between the map, switching characters and options. If switching characters was handled by pressing the d-Pad, it would go a lot more smoothly. Tighten the interface, and you have a pretty good Sonic game.

the tunnel section was cool and had a second goal of collecting all the rings in the level for an item. The Rival race was handled better than either Sonic Rivals

So far, Sonic Boom on 3DS is looking like it might become my favorite 3DS Sonic title, but that's not saying much..

I know plenty of people who live SA2 and I see no issue with that. This article itself is hyperbole defined. How can a functional game be worse than a broken code mess?

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
I haven't been following the game mainly because my only interest in Sonic Boom is the upcoming TV series and as such the only impression I seen was from Jare/ProJared and this article does align with Jared's impression so I guess this just adds to the credibility/notion that this game is bad.

http://youtu.be/Q33tKYRxc50?t=1m25s

While Sonic Boom being bad wouldn't shock me in the least, this is some pretty bad hyperbole. From what I've heard it's really just mediocre, and mediocre is still miles above the quality of Sonic 2006 and Shadow the Hedgehog.

Also, this guy likes Sonic Adventure 2, so his opinion already can't be trusted. :V
Yeah, this is where I stand too. Worse than the terribad Sonic 06, Shadow the Hedgehog and the Bioware Sonic game is just not going to happen. Everything we've seen of this game points towards a dull licensed tie-in game, but not a terribad one.

The fact that the Adventure games are counted as some of the good ones already makes me distance myself from his tastes. The only 3D Sonic title I've enjoyed to this date was Colours, and I wouldn't even put that game in my top 10 best wii games list. I completely understand that Sonic Boom wants to try and get rid of the Adventure baggage, since it just doesn't work with a lot of people. If Boom fails, I hope they won't stop experimenting to try and find a place for 3D Sonic.

The video from E3 I saw looked decent, even though the new character designs are sooooo... you know

I'm just disappointed that Sanzaru is working on this after Sly Cooper 4 instead of like... a new Ape Escape for Vita or something.

K.Sabot

I can say with some certainty that I still enjoy the odd Sonic Adventure 1/2 song from time to time. Semi-ironically, mostly not.

I've grown an appreciation for those 2 games since they've released, mostly because I learned it could get much worse. Those games weren't bad, hell SA1's overworld and structure was really cool.

Lernaean

Banned
Not surprised it sucks tbh, it is sad though.

And to think that many were screaming that Sonic should be taken off the hands of Sonic Team after Lost World, a game that reviews aside is in my top 5 3D Sonic games.

Sonic Team made a good game, not awesome but good, the usual suspects were bitching and now we end up with BOOM.

I can say with some certainty that I still enjoy the odd Sonic Adventure 1/2 song from time to time. Semi-ironically, mostly not.

I've grown an appreciation for those 2 games since they've released, mostly because I learned it could get much worse. Those games weren't bad, hell SA1's overworld and structure was really cool.

Agreed on SA1's overworld...that was really fun to run around in.

how the mighty have fallen...

Sonic should have stayed in the 90's, where he belongs, dude can't compete with the demands of today

Toxi

Banned
Eh...

Lets just say I'm not fond of sonic heroes in any capacity and would argue that its the absolute worst.
Sonic Heroes has some of the worst level design in video game history. There are entire stages that are just giant bottomless pits with linear rails above them.

It's still nowhere near as bad as Sonic 2006. For one thing, the game moves. It never steps on the brakes in the same way Sonic 2006 does every time it switches away from Sonic (Or hell, Silver's entire campaign). And for another, the barely-there story of Sonic Heroes never reaches the depths of hell seen in 2006.

Adult finds game designed for kids a bad game. More news at 11.
Guess what? Sonic doesn't have the timeless / ageless quality of Mario. Never did. Stop expecting them to make a Sonic game that you'll enjoy.

Broken controls have absolutely nothing to do with the age demographic they're aiming for.

Sonic Heroes has some of the worst level design in video game history. There are entire stages that are just giant bottomless pits with linear rails above them.

Rail Canyon was the moment I ejected Sonic Heroes from my GameCube, put the disc back in its case, and went to return the game at EB for a refund.

Zomba13

I legit like the soundtracks to Sonic Adventure 1,2 Heroes and Shadow. Gimme all dat butt rock and Crush 40 theme songs.

TheRook

I legit like the soundtracks to Sonic Adventure 1,2 Heroes and Shadow. Gimme all dat butt rock and Crush 40 theme songs.

totally agree with this...Adventure 2 had some of the best stage music in the franchise. Also...those Crush 40 themes were always pretty on point as well...It totally was the reason why fighting Perfect Chaos in adventure 1 was even epic in the first place...outside of being Super Sonic. Damn...how I've longed to play a good sonic game...

IrishNinja

god, everything around/post E3 sounds terrible on this front...worse yet, i tend to agree with the source's feelings on 3D sonic games too, i'm rather forgiving & dig parts of SA 2, Unleashed etc so that makes this even scarier.

Ironically this may be the first game to beat the Sonic Cycle(c)

it's like Colors & Generations never happened for some of you guys

Gurl, you know it's true.
I like pumpkin Hill as much as the next lunatic, but that soundtrack is so lame it makes Nickelback and Vanilla Ice look legit.

i3o3lumKV3aIk.gif

SA2 OST is still awesome, stop this. even bad spinoffs like Sonic R saw great soundtracks (actually, that was the highlight of that title)

Mark1

Is the previewer referring to it as a bad Sonic game? Or a bad game in general? I don't think it was meant to be a Sonic game per day, but more of a game starring Sonic characters - something aimed more at children.

Ever since the game was announced I've had no interest in it, and I'm normally into the games as well. I loved Sonic Generations.

Rulp

I sincerely hope it gets cancelled. I hated it from the moment I saw it and had a strong feeling it would be shit.

Sonic should have stayed in the 90's, where he belongs, dude can't compete with the demands of today

I don't get this line of thinking.
If Nintendo owned Sonic, EAD would have basically made Sonic3&Knuckles in 3D on the N64 and everybody would have lived happily ever after.
:p
It's not the IP that's inept, it's the developers behind it.
There isn't much of a reason why Sonic shouldn't be able to exist in a modern market.

Edit:
You'll only hurt yourself listening to the super cheesy lyrics. Let the smooth ass beats carry you.

The instrumentals are actually pretty nice, it makes me wish that the lyrics weren't there at all.

even bad spinoffs like Sonic R saw great soundtracks (actually, that was the highlight of that title)

....sigh..I'll be real...Sonic R's soundtrack appeals to my camp gland.
:/
It's a guilty pleasure.

wrowa

Makes me sad. Big Red Button seems to be a cool bunch and it's disappointing that their first game seems to turn out being a flop. I hope the series will still be successful enough for them get a second game, it would be sad if something bad happened to the studio. I do think this game could be something good, but it seems to be obvious that they won't have enough time to fix it.

I also thought that this time around levels should have been more open? All of the footage I've seen just looks like the usual 3D Sonic (adventure-type) stuff, segmented as always.

Mark1

I'd really want Nintendo to give the Sonic series a try as well. But the pre-Lost World (and even Lost World) games show Sonic Team have potential to make a really good Sonic game, there are times they just make some really bad decisions, they do learn from some mistakes nowadays. I remember the patch Lost World got which fixed the 1-Up flaw the game had initially. They do listen, and I'm very keen to see what they've got planned for next year. Sonic Boom is the only thing out of all this which concerns me still about SEGA, not sure how on earth they've got the game playable like this.

Sega should seriously ask Nintendo to develop the next Sonic game.

An EAD4/EADTokyo/Retro/Good Feel developed Sonic The Hedgehog game would be the stuff of legends. I'll shamelessly admit that I pray for that every time a new Sonic game is announced.
Nintendo handling the IP would probably be the next best thing to Genesis era Sonic Team and SEGA handling it.

Piscus

Much more consistent framerate, believe it or not. Only got to play two levels and both were 2D layout (not sure if there are 3D levels in the 3DS version). It's kind of cool that you can switch between characters on the fly for different options of level progression, but they could only be swapped while on their menu on the bottom screen. Then the L and R buttons would shift between the bottom screen's menu options (characters, map, etc.). Was a completely wasted use of those buttons, I thought. Levels still seemed to lack any emphasis on speed and got kind of confusing, I wasn't always sure where I was supposed to go. When there was speed, it was too often broken up by gaps or puzzles or something that would require a character switch. Will wait to judge fully, and the game wasn't terrible, but it didn't hook me like I'd hoped it might. Still, I'm already pretty sure I would recommend the 3DS version over the Wii U version.

Lernaean

Banned
Sega should seriously ask Nintendo to develop the next Sonic game.

You know, it's wouldn't be entirely a bad idea, but i still have faith in Sonic Team.
As far as i'm concerned they have given us 2 awesome games lately (Colors, Generations) and another one that is very good (Lost World).

There is already another one Sonic Team multiplatform Sonic game in development.
I'll just wait for that and won't lose faith.

Unfortunately this. Sonic is nothing more than a relic of what SEGA used to be. Once Tom Kalinske left, the ship started taking on water, and finally sunk in '01. Sonic abandoned ship and has been paddling on a life raft in the middle of the ocean ever since.

NotLiquid

After two critical and commercial failures it's possible they'll just go back to what worked for them.

Lost World wasn't a commercial failure because it adhered to a different play style. It was a failure because it was on the Wii U. The game itself was average at worst in reception and it's generally more likely that they'll be using elements from it in conjunction with a more speedy game play. The better takeaway would hopefully be better design, as that turned out to be the game's real undoing and has been Sonic Team's greatest weakness the last few games.

JediLink

Sigh. Generations was so good! One of the few games I've ever Platinumed. Everything since then has been ass. How hard can it be for people to just make competent games?

Also, I'll never understand anyone who says that SA2 is better than SA1. SA2 took everything wrong from SA1 and made it way, way worse.

Ty4on

Sigh. Generations was so good! One of the few games I've ever Platinumed. Everything since then has been ass. How hard can it be for people to just make competent games?

Also, I'll never understand anyone who says that SA2 is better than SA1. SA2 took everything wrong from SA1 and made it way, way worse.

I have only played through 06, but stuff like Big the Cat wasn't wrong? :p

Top Bottom