• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sonic Boom Preview: Worst Sonic Game I’ve Ever Played

BeberMan

Neo Member
There's no way it's worse than 06.

Shadow I can believe because people exaggerate how bad that game really is.
I've beaten both Sonic '06 and Shadow The Hedgehog, and yeah 06 is worst. Shadow's game wasn't good but it wasn't broken and/or unplayable.

WillyFive

Also, I'll never understand anyone who says that SA2 is better than SA1. SA2 took everything wrong from SA1 and made it way, way worse.

Really?

The only thing SA2 didn't do better than SA1 was its lack of overworld; everything else is vastly superior, across the board.

VLiberty

I found the 3DS game to be decent (except for the special stages); but decent is still a downgrade from what we had gotten with Colors and Generations.

Well, Colours DS and Generations 3DS were both decent at best, so it's not a downgrade. And judging from the 3DS footage it looks more interesting than most of the Dimps Sonics.

Unless you're comparing it to the Wii and PS360 games then yeah.

Rising_Hei

Sonic Adventure 2 was a 9-9.5/10 game back on its time, and a real hit improving on everything and doubling the framerate.
What i hated about generations was the physics, a platform game with Havok is no good

WillyFive

Well, Colours DS and Generations 3DS were both decent at best, so it's not a downgrade. And judging from the 3DS footage it looks more interesting than most of the Dimps Sonics.

Unless you're comparing it to the Wii and PS360 games then yeah.

Except for Generations 3DS, handheld Sonics have tended to be superior to their console counterparts, Lost World is no exception.

NotLiquid

I have only played through 06, but stuff like Big the Cat wasn't wrong? :p

To be fair to Sonic Adventure, Big the Cat had the least amount of levels in the game and they were all fairly easy, so as far as being a stain on a decent game there's definitely a lot worse out there. In terms of the other genre roulettes Sonic Adventure was a lot better than Adventure 2 and was all mostly centered on speed. It was faster and the physics weren't nearly as clunky. The mechs in Adventure 2 were a huge downgrade compared to Gamma's fast-paced time attack and Knuckles' treasure stages were more balanced as all Emeralds could show up on the radar, meaning a less linear exploration. Sonic's stages were also much faster and had better designs other than downhill slopes. His Adventure stages are still the closest the 3D series got to replicating the classics.

SA2 needed more Sonic/Shadow levels.

It also needed less story, less side characters, and less cheesy music.
Also, the stupid Tails/Eggman stages were surprisingly platform heavy. If they mixed that style of stage design with SA2's speed stages you'd probably be able to create Genesis era Sonic levels in 3D.
:p

s_mirage

Really?

The only thing SA2 didn't do better than SA1 was its lack of overworld; everything else is vastly superior, across the board.

The camera was nearly intolerable and the non-Sonic/Shadow levels were worse (the Knuckles/Rouge levels were painful). The only thing better was the graphics IMHO. I've got to agree with Jedi Link, SA 2 was a step backwards in virtually every way.

Nvzman

I don't understand how slow = terrible.
Sure, Sonic is supposed to be fast, but he doesn't always have to follow that.
You know, considering like 95% of other platformers are slow paced.
And the responsiveness issue does sound terrible though.

WillyFive

To be fair to Sonic Adventure, Big the Cat had the least amount of levels in the game and they were all fairly easy, so as far as being a stain on a decent game there's definitely a lot worse out there. In terms of the other genre roulettes Sonic Adventure was a lot better than Adventure 2 and was all mostly centered on speed. It was faster and the physics weren't nearly as clunky. The mechs in Adventure 2 were a huge downgrade compared to Gamma's fast-paced time attack and Knuckles' treasure stages were more balanced as all Emeralds could show up on the radar, meaning a less linear exploration. Sonic's stages were also much faster and had better designs other than downhill slopes. His Adventure stages are still the closest the 3D series got to replicating the classics.

I'm curious as to why you think SA1 was more centered on speed and was faster than SA2; considering how clunkier it's mechanics and physics were. I felt the stages in SA1 were the exact opposite of how you described them. I can't think of a reason the mech stages in SA2 would be inferior to Gamma as you described; other than the story connecting each of those stages. It's true that not all emeralds were displayed on the radar in SA2, but you could still find them without it; and Knuckles was significantly more agile and had tighter controls than SA1.

SA2 was almost the perfect sequel, where everything was improved upon in a clear way.

The camera was nearly intolerable and the non-Sonic/Shadow levels were worse (the Knuckles/Rouge levels were painful). The only thing better was the graphics IMHO. I've got to agree with Jedi Link, SA 2 was a step backwards in virtually every way.

The camera was terrible in both games, but it s much more likely to fitz up and start swinging wildly in SA1 compared to SA2.

Protome

I'm glad people are starting to see the light about SA and SA2 not being very good games.

Also this game should die and sonic fans should get the Sonic Colours sequel that they deserve. Seriously, that game was the best original game Sega has made with Sonic since it went 3D.

NotLiquid

I'm curious as to why you think SA1 was more centered on speed and was faster than SA2; considering how clunkier it's mechanics and physics were. I felt the stages in SA1 were the exact opposite of how you described them. I can't think of a reason the mech stages in SA2 would be inferior to Gamma as you described; other than the story connecting each of those stages. It's true that not all emeralds were displayed on the radar in SA2, but you could still find them without it; and Knuckles was significantly more agile and had tighter controls than SA1.

SA2 was almost the perfect sequel, where everything was improved upon in a clear way.

Compare controlling Sonic in SA1's Emerald Coast or Speed Highway to controlling Sonic in SA2's City Escape or Green Forest. Almost all Sonic stages in SA2 are composed entirely of downhill slopes that are janky as heck and don't allow for much smooth maneuvers. Sonic in SA1 was buttery-smooth compared to SA2 and the stages were a lot more varied in design.

The mech stages aren't even a contest and are the absolute worst part of SA2. They were slow, sluggish and the levels were incredibly restricted in SA2 while in SA1 they were fast, based off of open environments that were in Sonic's stages and demanded you to go fast and kill fast in order to maintain your timer.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The funny thing is, I really do wish they had kept the aesthetic style and even some of the level design philosophy from Lost World. That game was close to being amazing, they just had to fuck it up with some abysmal level design and a really bizarre lack of polish

Dr. Buni

Eh, this isn't even a Sonic game to me. The first video of this game was enough to make me totally uninterested, because it looked more like those Sony PS2/PS3 "platformer" games that I could never get into as opposed to a proper Sonic title. Sonic Boom is something else with Sonic characters. Like Metroid Other M was just a random game with Samus and the Metroid universe thrown on it. I can't even say I am disappointed people are saying it is crap. xD

I will wait for the actual next Sonic game (which is supposedly being developed as we speak). Hopefully SEGA will 1. Go back to the Colors formula 2. Improve the Lost World formula, which is actually pretty good, but lacked refinement in Lost World. Also, I wouldn't mind if Sonic Team decided to use some of the character redesigns in the next game. I know people give him a lot of shit, but muscular Knuckles is best Knuckles. Amy looks very cute now also. And Tails is just adorable. Ok thx bai.

Zalman

I'm glad people are starting to see the light about SA and SA2 not being very good games.

Also this game should die and sonic fans should get the Sonic Colours sequel that they deserve. Seriously, that game was the best original game Sega has made with Sonic since it went 3D.
Agreed. Colors was amazing. I actually feel like playing it right now.

Dr. Buni

Though I am not sure if I should take this dude's opinion seriously, since he actually enjoyed the terrible Sonic Adventure games. Either way, not wasting my money on Sonic Boom, unless the impressions about the game suddenly take a 180º.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
Except for Generations 3DS, handheld Sonics have tended to be superior to their console counterparts, Lost World is no exception.

So Sonic 1 on game gear is better then the genesis counter part, Sonic 2 on game gear is better then Sonic 2 on Genesis, Sonic Labyrinth is better then 3d blast, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Blast were better the Sonic Cd and Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Spinball on game gear was better the the Genesis counter part.

My, my what an interesting fan you are, I never thought I would see some on prefer the Game Gear games to the Genesis, you are a rare.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member

Seeing what light, oh people that share the same opinion as you. I enjoyed both SA1 and SA2. Sure they have problems and there not perfect by no means but I would rather have a SA3 then another Sonic 2d Colors. I do not understand the love that colors gets. I mean I enjoyed it but I was not a fan of it being more 2d then 3d. I love 2d sonic but colors would of been alot better if the 2d sections were sprinkled in, not the majority.

WillyFive

So Sonic 1 on game gear is better then the genesis counter part, Sonic 2 on game gear is better then Sonic 2 on Genesis, Sonic Labyrinth is better then 3d blast, Sonic Chaos, Sonic Triple Trouble and Sonic Blast were better the Sonic Cd and Sonic 3 and Knuckles, Sonic Spinball on game gear was better the the Genesis counter part.

My, my what an interesting fan you are, I never thought I would see some on prefer the Game Gear games to the Genesis, you are a rare.

I should have mentioned I was thinking about Advance games and onward; I honestly did not even think about the old Game Gear games.

Compare controlling Sonic in SA1's Emerald Coast or Speed Highway to controlling Sonic in SA2's City Escape or Green Forest. Almost all Sonic stages in SA2 are composed entirely of downhill slopes that are janky as heck and don't allow for much smooth maneuvers. Sonic in SA1 was buttery-smooth compared to SA2 and the stages were a lot more varied in design.

The mech stages aren't even a contest and are the absolute worst part of SA2. They were slow, sluggish and the levels were incredibly restricted in SA2 while in SA1 they were fast, based off of open environments that were in Sonic's stages and demanded you to go fast and kill fast in order to maintain your timer.

Maybe you appreciated them in a more conceptual level; but SA1 Sonic levels were a lot rougher; with Sonic having a hard time making turns correctly unless you let the pre-determined path guide you; and occasionally dropped from walls and loops due to collision bugs. Smooth maneuvers are the exact opposite of what SA1 would have allowed you to do. SA2 is by no means anywhere near janky as SA1 was.

Triple Trouble is great but the rest are pretty ehh.

Social

SA1 was cool when I had imported a japanese dreamcast before eu release and was able to play it before any of my friends. But there was always something wrong with it. In fact, there has always something wrong with Sonic in 3D, it just doesn't work very well, it never has.

Seeing what light, oh people that share the same opinion as you. I enjoyed both SA1 and SA2. Sure they have problems and there not perfect by no means but I would rather have a SA3 then another Sonic 2d Colors. I do not understand the love that colors gets. I mean I enjoyed it but I was not a fan of it being more 2d then 3d. I love 2d sonic but colors would of been alot better if the 2d sections were sprinkled in, not the majority.

SA3 is just a name. Sonic 06 and Unleashed had all the shitty Adventure tropes and might as well have been the third entry.
Even as a kid, the consensus I've experienced was that everything but the Sonic/Shadow levels was shit. Colours/Generations cut the bs gameplay and focused on a decent Sonic only experience, somewhat free of glitches and dumb ideas, etc. The acceptance of these titles shouldn't be hard to understand.
2D sections > Big the Cat

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member

I enjoy the treasure hunting levels, Knuckles moves fast and has the element of exploration. SA2 did do something stupid by making the radar worse and the level massive. Getting an a rank in death chamber is luck of the draw. The mech section worked for Dr eggman but tails should of kept the race aspect to his gameplay even if there had to be a time limit. But then again tails was added at the end so the made his gameplay style like eggmans

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
I should have mentioned I was thinking about Advance games and onward; I honestly did not even think about the old Game Gear games.

Maybe you appreciated them in a more conceptual level; but SA1 Sonic levels were a lot rougher; with Sonic having a hard time making turns correctly unless you let the pre-determined path guide you; and occasionally dropped from walls and loops due to collision bugs. Smooth maneuvers are the exact opposite of what SA1 would have allowed you to do. SA2 is by no means anywhere near janky as SA1 was.

I was about to say, There are a few game gear games I love and as for advance I love the first one, two and three are ok but there are things that hold them back, Namely on how to get the chaos emeralds.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
SA3 is just a name. Sonic 06 and Unleashed had all the shitty Adventure tropes and might as well have been the third entry.
Even as a kid, the consensus I've experienced was that everything but the Sonic/Shadow levels was shit. Colours/Generations cut the bs gameplay and focused on a decent Sonic only experience, somewhat free of glitches and dumb ideas, etc. The acceptance of these titles shouldn't be hard to understand.
2D sections > Big the Cat

1st off were in my post was I like oh I totally want playable big the cat again? Unleashed had a ware hog, and 06 war a train wreck that was rushed with a horrible story. Sure they can have tropes but lets see here when oh a hub world is the only trope then its not that much. As for colors and generations I never was a fan of the boost nor the level design. As for both those game they loved to show horn a lot of 2d sections in there game in fact both game have more then half the game in 2d.

Lemmy

Banned
A shit Sonic game you say? That's hard to believe!

First warning sign was it having one dimension too many.

Really?

Knuckles' levels are worse in SA2 due to making you find the emerald pieces in a certain order. There's one thing already.

Also, I thought the SA1 hub world was bad, like most 3D hub worlds.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
Possibly, I might be confused about some since they werent exactly easy to come by locally.

I just noticed a typo I said sonic battle, that should be Sonic Blast. The only thing I wonder is the games that were on both game gear and master system which version came out first or did they release at the same time. Seeing as sega game gear is a master system.

The Stig

The tails and robotnik levels were boring. The knuckles and rouge levels were broken. The sonic levels were rare, and glitchy.

Thats why SA2 sucks.

this is absolutely right.

i literally forced myself through 2/3 of the game waiting for a sonic/shadow level.

HalcyonXcution

Neo Member
Knuckles' levels are worse in SA2 due to making you find the emerald pieces in a certain order. There's one thing already.

Also, I thought the SA1 hub world was bad, like most 3D hub worlds.

Agreed I love SA2 and I did enjoy the knuckles section in SA1 but why did they need to mess up the radar. Whats worse is the level are to big to. Oh sure Wild Canon not that bad but when your on Death Chamber running around trying to get an A rank it took all enjoyment out of it. Actually getting the A ranks in SA2 were a pain in butt. Had there been no ranking system in that game, dear I say I would of not hated certain mech levels.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Really?

Eh what? Sonic lever were a massive downgrade from Adventure, Tails was in a stupid mech and Knuckles levels were god damn awful compare to Adventure. It also didn't help that Adventure 2 story was stupid and trying so hard to be dark and serous in a Sonic game.

The only thing that Adventure 2 improved was the Chao garden.

I don't understand how slow = terrible.
Sure, Sonic is supposed to be fast, but he doesn't always have to follow that.
You know, considering like 95% of other platformers are slow paced.
And the responsiveness issue does sound terrible though.

Sonic is a platformer base centred around speed, removing the speed element isn't an option for Sonic.

A slow pace Sonic game isn't fun to play.

Top Bottom